ImageImage

Welcome to ATL DeAndre Hunter!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Hawkamanic81
Rookie
And1: 39

Re: Welcome to ATL DeAndre Hunter! 

Post#21 » by Hawkamanic81 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Seems to be less excitement around here for Hunter D than the other draftees.

He seems like he starts on day 1. I just wonder if it's at SF or PF..

It is not hard to figure out why the Hawks wanted Hunter so badly. He might be the best defender in the class, and they needed a 3-and-D guy. He is the rare rookie who should be able to hold their lineups together right away, and they have enough playmaking that they can afford to bring him along slowly as a creator. In a draft where there was nothing close to a consensus fourth-best player, the No. 4 spot turned into a potentially perfect marriage of player and team.
CBS Sports

Bruno and Cam both seem to be more skilled.
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#22 » by fuzzy1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Hawkamanic81 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Seems to be less excitement around here for Hunter D than the other draftees.

It is not hard to figure out why the Hawks wanted Hunter so badly. He might be the best defender in the class, and they needed a 3-and-D guy. He is the rare rookie who should be able to hold their lineups together right away, and they have enough playmaking that they can afford to bring him along slowly as a creator. In a draft where there was nothing close to a consensus fourth-best player, the No. 4 spot turned into a potentially perfect marriage of player and team.
CBS Sports

Nah. Hunter has serious game out of the triple threat and in the post. He'll be Tatum + defense IMO

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 970

Post#23 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:51 pm

fuzzy1 wrote:
Hawkamanic81 wrote:

CBS Sports

Nah. Hunter has serious game out of the triple threat and in the post. He'll be Tatum + defense IMO

He doesn't have Tatums offensive upside. Our best hope is to truly believe he is a Draymond Green type of player, which is still good, but not what a Tatum+defense would be.

There's not a lot of excitement because although Hunter is a NBA ready prospect that will make an immediate impact early on, there's not a lot to look forward to, other than him exceeding his ceiling. I'm not saying he's finished developing and growing, but there's not a lot that suggests he has superstar level upside either.

Hope that's not taken as a shot against Hunter. I hold a strong belief that he will certainly have an impact early in his career with us.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#24 » by King Ken » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:52 pm

fuzzy1 wrote:
Hawkamanic81 wrote:

CBS Sports

:o
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#25 » by fuzzy1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 pm

I don't think Tatum has superstar upside. Neither has a great handle or great passing, but have good shots and strength in the post.

I'm not expecting some dynamo offensively but he's got plenty upside.
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
fuzzy1 wrote:
Hawkamanic81 wrote:Bruno and Cam both seem to be more skilled.

He doesn't have Tatums offensive upside. Our best hope is to truly believe he is a Draymond Green type of player, which is still good, but not what a Tatum+defense would be.

There's not a lot of excitement because although Hunter is a NBA ready prospect that will make an immediate impact early on, there's not a lot to look forward to, other than him exceeding his ceiling. I'm not saying he's finished developing and growing, but there's not a lot that suggests he has superstar level upside either.

Hope that's not taken as a shot against Hunter. I hold a strong belief that he will certainly have an impact early in his career with us.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:43 am

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,908

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jayu70
RealGM

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:17 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,970

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:56 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
Smooth footwork and shot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#33 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:25 am

;feature=youtu.be

Don't see a reason why he will not fit in seamelessly with Trae, KH, and Collins. He has the ability to shoot off the dribble, drive, and make open 3s. I don't think he'll be good at either, but it makes him more versatile on offense with high level defense.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:10 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:51 pm

:brokenheart:

2019 NBA Rookies Drafted by the Wrong Team

De'Andre Hunter, Atlanta Hawks

For Hunter, it's a massive haul for what FiveThirtyEight's CARMELO projection calls an "OK prospect." The numbers-only system forecasts minus-0.6 wins above replacement for Hunter in year one and 3.6 over the next seven seasons.

Hunter certainly could exceed those predictions, but there are a number of questions and concerns attached. And for a player who probably needs more time to develop than others, it would be nice not to have the pressure that comes from being on the other end of that trade package.

"Hunter struggles to create off the dribble," SB Nation's Ricky O'Donnell wrote. "His shot is accurate, but it takes him so long to get it off that he won't have as much gravity against faster NBA closeouts. While his defensive reputation is excellent, he didn't force many blocks and steals at Virginia. He's also one of the oldest prospects in the lottery at 21 years old."

When he's spacing off of Trae Young/John Collins pick-and-rolls, Hunter's slow release may allow defenses to key in on the primary action a bit longer. And his inability to attack closeouts off the dribble will hurt those sets too.

For Atlanta, the bright side may be essentially getting two cracks at finding a long-term answer at combo forward. The Hawks also drafted Reddish at No. 10. And while his numbers weren't as good in college, you can see the makings of a quick-release catch-and-shoot option who can create a little in a pinch.

But that might also put more pressure on Hunter. Competition can lead to improvement. And there's reason to believe Hunter and Reddish could eventually play together at the forward spots. But if the former develops more slowly than the latter, it would call that huge trade package into question.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:22 pm

It's my understanding that these rankings are kind of a big deal...did Hunter D get the respect he deserves?

Being just behind Ja Morant seems a bit generous when Hunter profiles as only a top level role player, right?

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#37 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:It's my understanding that these rankings are kind of a big deal...did Hunter D get the respect he deserves?

Being just behind Ja Morant seems a bit generous when Hunter profiles as only a top level role player, right?

Who has profiled him as a 'top level role player'?
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#38 » by hawks_fan25 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:26 pm

I really think he landed in the best spot for his skill set. Trae is going to find him for open threes and he's going to ball out. We know he can defend, so once he gets his feet wet with the NBA style I have high expectations for him for this year. I think he'll be in foul trouble a lot early in the season because we'll be asking him to guard the other team's best scorer on a lot of nights, but he will figure that out.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:13 am

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 2, 2019 11:14 am