ImageImage

How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: How do you rate the Hawks Draft and who was your favorite pick? 

Post#41 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Yikes...I'm pretty sure Fischella wrote this hit piece. :lol:

NBA Draft 2019 team grades: Pelicans pass with flying colors

Atlanta Hawks: D+

Atlanta managed to find good value at No. 10 with Cam Reddish and No. 34 with Bruno Fernando. Reddish is a nice upside play whose median outcome should still be useful. Fernando is a skilled big man with NBA athleticism. He's likely a backup.

It's hard to recover from the big move the Hawks made at the top of the draft, though, surrendering multiple good assets to move up to No. 4 and land De'Andre Hunter. The Virginia forward is a nice fit from a skill set perspective, but his lack of upside makes it tough to buy into him as a target worthy of so much sacrifice.
The Sporting News
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#42 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:49 pm

kg01 wrote:
hawks_fan25 wrote:I wanted to complain about some of the moves, but everything ended up working out perfectly. Almost as if TS had scripted the night and it went exactly as he had in his script. We are probably a playoff team in the east, but I do hope all the vets we've picked up in the trades don't take court time from the youngsters. I'd much rather see us finish out of the playoff with all the young guys learning how to play together than to be in the playoffs with Bazemore, Crabbe and Hill eating minutes.

I'm hoping Hill gets released and Crabbe and Bazemore just split time as the 9th and 10th reserves.

Either way it goes this year, we have an exciting young core and about $65m in expirings! Exciting times.

All indications are that Crabbe wants a buyout. Also smells like Hill could get waived. I don't mind Bazemore here in a mentor-role. He was toggled in/out of the lineup last year nicely. Use him to spell the new wangs and we'll be fine. Bembry may be the odd man out.

I don't think so, at least for this year.
Bembry is our swiss army at the 1, 2 and 3. Plug n Play

Agree on Baze. Rumor is multiple teams are interested :pray:
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#43 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 am

Fischella wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Obvious D

Mismanaged assets, got solid players but nobody that will really change the franchise, still have no real legit 2ndary guy

The Hunter trade was atrociously bad, massive overpay, and trading solid 40s picks for future fake 2nds and cash was bad too

Schlenk really is Jon Gruden-ish

What would you have drafted at 17 in the middle of the first round of an underwhelming draft?

Why shouldn't a GM go after players they think will be good? This is basketball not football having 5 second round picks doesn't do much to get star talent

You gave up 8th, 17th, and what likely becomes 3 2nd round picks for 4th and 57th, then actually traded up using 57th and more 2nds (after having traded out of 41st and 44th for cash and one real 2nd, and one fake 2nd from Miami)

Ah, you also ate Hill's contract which easily should net a 1st round pick in terms of value

All that for Hunter and Fernando

If you don't think that is a massive overpay you must think Hunter is Kawhi Leonard and Fernando... Serge Ibaka, or something along those lines

I think mentioning overpay would have made sense if we didn't have Trae and Collins already and didn't have 10 still. I mean it's a valid point in saying we overpaid, but we still got what we wanted/needed. Travis unloaded the war chest to not only get a better value, but also secure the players he wanted over having a massive quantity. We're not even including the dynamic of roster space.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:47 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Four Best Fits of the 2019 NBA Draft

De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish, Atlanta Hawks

Yes, having two prospects for one team is cheating a bit, but Reddish and Hunter fit so well into what the Hawks are doing it would be a disservice to include one without the other. Trae Young has the look of a future superstar, but he’ll always suffer on the defensive end of the floor due to his size. To make up for that, Atlanta GM Travis Schnlek is building a lineup filled with versatile wings. Hunter and Reddish will join Kevin Huerter as the defenders in charge of making Young’s life as easy as possible on that end of the floor, similar to how Golden State’s lineup allows for Steph Curry to hide on the least threatening opponent against most teams.

It’s obviously early to make any sort of Golden State comparisons, but Schlenk worked for the Warriors before heading to Atlanta, and Young’s profile as a small player and offense unto himself present a clear parallel for the blueprint of a good team. Picking up both Hunter and Reddish gives Atlanta a dangerous lineup with shooting from 1-4 and the ability to switch just about anything. Buying low on Reddish should prove to be one of the best moves of the draft, too; Reddish has all the talent to be one of the better two-way role players in the game, he just needs time to develop those skills in an low-pressure environment. He’ll have that in Atlanta. Schnlek clearly knows what he’s doing, and it showed in this draft.
USA Today
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#46 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:56 pm

Is it me or does Cam look absolutely ecstatic to be a Hawk?
marco102
Junior
And1: 717

Post#47 » by marco102 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:Is it me or does Cam look absolutely ecstatic to be a Hawk?

He has the same agent as Trae. I'm sure he knows Atlanta was the best fit for him. Hunter's team felt the same way. It's crazy how our little PG is making younger players want to come here! Good sign for the future!
I'm working with my firm to assist small businesses apply for the stimulus assistance. If you're interested please pm.
We are also offering a cashflow bootcamp for small businesses (https://www.aprio.com/whatsnext/covid-19-cash-flow-bootcamp/ ).
Hawkamanic81
Rookie
And1: 39

Post#48 » by Hawkamanic81 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Kent Bazemore needs to go . He is horrible and shouldn't be mentoring anybody.
Hawkamanic81
Rookie

Post#49 » by Hawkamanic81 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:10 pm

N/A
Hawkamanic81
Rookie

Post#50 » by Hawkamanic81 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 pm

I give Travis a B+

Hunter - I don't think he would have been there at 8, but I also don't think he will end up being the 4th best player. He is like a Thaddeus Young. The Hawks need a player like Hunter to play right away and they got him.

Cam Reddish - People compare him to Paul George, but I see Rashard Lewis. I also think Cam will struggle out of the gate like Lewis did.He will redeem himself in a few years.

Bruno Fernando - Teams are going to regret passing on him. I see a bigger Paul Milsap with some Hakeem like postwork. He might end up being the best of the 3 prospects.
pacehawk
Freshman

Post#51 » by pacehawk » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:18 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Yikes...I'm pretty sure Fischella wrote this hit piece. :lol:

Atlanta managed to find good value at No. 10 with Cam Reddish and No. 34 with Bruno Fernando. Reddish is a nice upside play whose median outcome should still be useful. Fernando is a skilled big man with NBA athleticism. He's likely a backup.

It's hard to recover from the big move the Hawks made at the top of the draft, though, surrendering multiple good assets to move up to No. 4 and land De'Andre Hunter. The Virginia forward is a nice fit from a skill set perspective, but his lack of upside makes it tough to buy into him as a target worthy of so much sacrifice.
The Sporting News

I thought this was a joke! A D+ grade?! For giving up too many valuable assets?! I thought the SPORTING NEWS was more reliable than this evaluation of the Hawks Draft! I realize everyone deserves their opinion AND that I AM biased but does the SPORTING NEWS realize that the Hawks came away from this Draft with two players (Hunter and Reddish) that many pretty reliable experts thought were top 5 players available in this Draft and another player (Fernando) that they got in the 2nd Round when many people thought he would go in the 1st Round?! Again, I AM very biased but I still think the Hawks had a Great Draft and two STEALS in Reddish and Fernando!
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#52 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:10 pm

pacehawk wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Yikes...I'm pretty sure Fischella wrote this hit piece. :lol:

The Sporting News

I thought this was a joke! A D+ grade?! For giving up too many valuable assets?! I thought the SPORTING NEWS was more reliable than this evaluation of the Hawks Draft! I realize everyone deserves their opinion AND that I AM biased but does the SPORTING NEWS realize that the Hawks came away from this Draft with two players (Hunter and Reddish) that many pretty reliable experts thought were top 5 players available in this Draft and another player (Fernando) that they got in the 2nd Round when many people thought he would go in the 1st Round?! Again, I AM very biased but I still think the Hawks had a Great Draft and two STEALS in Reddish and Fernando!

I would think getting 2 of the top 5 players on most people's boards would have been a steal in most eyes considering we had to move up to secure one of them, and the other fell due to circumstances of 2 teams needing/ wanting PG's and Rui going at 9. Then adding in another first round talent for just 2nds just makes too much sense. This was all done with having 8, 10, & 17, and there was no way both Cam and Hunter were going to be there at 8 and 10.

Maybe they didn't hear about Travis intent on wanting to really draft only 3 players this year either. People were down on the Trae/Luka swap, and that turned out great, so maybe this will another one of those shrewd moves that Travis can add to his resume of being a great GM. Not to mention that the 2018 swap helped make this possible. So we're looking at Cam & Trae for Luka at this point. Let's hope for the best to win that trade in a landslide because at this point, it's even at bare minimum.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 am

Both of our first round selections are considered to be in their optimal draft situation!!!

:clap:

The NBA draft's best, riskiest and most surprising moves

Which lottery pick is in the best situation to succeed?

MIke Schmitz: De'Andre Hunter in Atlanta. The former Virginia standout and national champion can focus on what he does best -- defending everyone and making open shots. With Trae Young shouldering the bulk of the offense and Kevin Huerter and John Collins also poised to be in shot-creation situations, Hunter's ballhandling limitations and so-so feel won't be as exposed. While most top-four picks are thrust into a featured role early on, Hunter can stick to the same script that landed him so high in the first place.

Jonathan Givony: Cam Reddish in Atlanta. Reddish's talent is undeniable, and at No. 10 he was certainly worth taking a flyer on, especially since he won't be called upon to do too much in terms of shot-creation, which should accentuate his strengths. Reddish is an excellent fit alongside the pick-and-roll passing prowess of Trae Young, who should generate quite a few open looks for him.
ESPN Insider

Best prospect fits

Cam Reddish — Not all fits have to be team-oriented. For me, this is a perfect fit for Reddish as a player to start his career. The Hawks will be playing in a relatively low-stakes setting early on, which should help Reddish settle in a bit to start his career, something he didn’t get the chance to do at Duke after Zion Williamson and R.J. Barrett joined the team following Reddish’s signature. At 6-foot-9 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan and a lot of body control and fluid athleticism, Reddish can help lead the break, grab and go after grabbing rebounds, and potentially defend multiple positions. Also, on the floor, Atlanta’s emphasis on floor spacing should help Reddish’s biggest offensive concern, finishing around the basket. As long as he can iron out his shooting efficiency from distance — something that should be very doable if he can just work on staying straight up and down and not fading off balance — Trae Young should be able to feed him open 3-point looks. It’s a very advantageous opportunity for him, and I’d expect him to thrive with Atlanta.

De’Andre Hunter — Back to Atlanta, except this time let’s focus on how the player fits what they need instead of the vice versa. The thing that the Hawks needed above all was a player who could act as a high-level 3-and-D player. That 3-and-D guy needed to be someone who could occasionally take tough assignments on positions as diverse as lead guard and bigger forwards. And then he also needed to be able to knock down 3s to best be able to take advantage of Young’s skill as a distributor. In Hunter, they found all of those skills as long as he keeps working on quickening up his release on his jumper so that he can take a higher volume. It might have cost a high price to get him, but players like Hunter are exceedingly difficult to find on the trade market, and tough to find frugally in free agency. Assuming there is upside left in his game — and I personally believe that there is, despite his age — Hunter should be the perfect 3/4 to play next to Young, Kevin Huerter, and John Collins.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:03 pm

Read on Twitter
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#55 » by D21 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm

I would say a A, not A+ because it's real that we gave a bit too much of assets when you think about the level difference between players from 4 to 10 or more, but if Hunter was the only to be able to play good defense for sure, it may be the price to pay.

Now, the only thing I see that could lower the rating is if Sekou ends being a mini Giannis.
It's not sure at all, but having several first round pick, I would have gamble on him.

Now, I understand Schlenk on one point : He has maybe 6 guys now from the 3 drafts who can build a rotation, and may not want to wait too much because it will allow to know faster what kind of great F.A. would be needing next year if the team confirms his potential this coming season. And maybe after selecting Hunter, Sekou would have been on the same spot, while Reddish offers more different things
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#56 » by fuzzy1 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Sekou would've probably been my pick over Reddish as well, but I'm prepared to be wrong about that
D21 wrote:I would say a A, not A+ because it's real that we gave a bit too much of assets when you think about the level difference between players from 4 to 10 or more, but if Hunter was the only to be able to play good defense for sure, it may be the price to pay.

Now, the only thing I see that could lower the rating is if Sekou ends being a mini Giannis.
It's not sure at all, but having several first round pick, I would have gamble on him.

Now, I understand Schlenk on one point : He has maybe 6 guys now from the 3 drafts who can build a rotation, and may not want to wait too much because it will allow to know faster what kind of great F.A. would be needing next year if the team confirms his potential this coming season. And maybe after selecting Hunter, Sekou would have been on the same spot, while Reddish offers more different things

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,006

Post#57 » by HMFFL » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:39 pm

De'Andre Hunter was my favorite first round selection. I watched him since his freshman year where he had always been labeled a future first round talent at the NBA level.
He will be a Hawk for a very long time and will be what I expect an All-Star.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am

The more i evaluate D Hunter, the more excited I get about his selection.

Here's him yamming one home on Bruno Fernando:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:00 pm

According to one PRE-DRAFT big board, WE GOT TWO OF THE TOP THREE WINGS IN THIS DRAFT CLASS!!
Read on Twitter

2. Cam Reddish, Duke | Freshman

Reddish has long confounded scouts, possessing a great deal of latent ability that has been mired in inconsistent play. Reddish’s ability to move the ball, shoot from three and guard multiple positions are known strengths, and his profile as a big, skilled wing fits neatly into the modern NBA. Still, to this point in his career, he’s mostly been a tease. A touted recruit coming in, he was scarcely a true difference-maker for Duke, functioning as a secondary option while Zion Williamson and R.J. Barrett carried the load. None of that was a total surprise, but it was disappointing, particularly given his struggles finishing in the paint and subsequent over-reliance on a streaky pull-up game. The fact he was adjusting to not having the ball in his hands as much isn’t a great excuse, although Duke’s floor spacing was often poor. Reddish passes the eye test as well as anyone, but will have to iron out his issues at the next level.

3. De'Andre Hunter, Virginia | Sophomore

Hunter peaked at a good time with a star turn at the Final Four, and while he may not be a franchise-changing player, he has a chance to be a solid, useful one. Depending on which team you are, the fact that he's older and more prepared to play in the NBA tomorrow than most of the draft’s top prospects makes him a lottery option. But the upside with him is not immense. Hunter is functionally strong, but not extremely fluid or explosive, and lacks natural instincts as a scorer playing off the dribble. Most scouts still don’t entirely trust his jumper. He’s an unflashy all-around player who can defend a variety of positions, and won’t hurt you in any one area. It does help that you more or less know exactly what you’re getting with him, and the hope is that he’ll be a versatile, defensive-minded starter who knocks down open threes early in his career. He’s someone you value for floor more than upside.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#60 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:22 am

At last!

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks