ImageImage

Not Revisionist History: Post LaMelo Ball thoughts

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,515

Re: Not Revisionist History: Hornets Board 'On Record' about draft/FA/trades 

Post#21 » by Bassman » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:15 am

I was on the road and unable to watch the draft so that’s why I had little posting here until later that evening.

At 12 given the availabile players I wanted Sekou so that would have been my pick. Represented a bigger upside potential in some ways. However I am (naturally) weary of anyone French so maybe we dodged a bullet. I like PJ and think he has real potential as a starter so I’m good with our pick.

At 36 I really didn’t have any knowledge of a particular player still on the board that I wanted (not Bol). Cody strikes as a serviceable bench guy, so hopefully he blossoms into something more. Looks pretty good on tape but was frankly a “who’s that?” when I saw his name.

Later I would have taken Kyle Guy from Virginia. He’s just a winning competitor who I think will augment anyone’s bench strength for years to come.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#22 » by SWedd523 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:41 pm

12 pick: I wanted NAW, Goga, PJ in that order. Was also super intrigued by Langford, but didn't think he was a realistic target. I did not want any part of Clarke, Little, or Porter Jr.

36 pick: I wanted them to trade up and get Fernando as soon as he fell out of the first round. Of the available guys I would've preferred Gafford or Schofield.

52 pick: I'm fine with McDaniels, but could've been talked into Kyle Guy
BuzzCity
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#23 » by BuzzCity » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Hated the PJ pick. I feel like our drafts are straight garbage every single year and it’s not even close. I kid u not, I went into the ‘15 draft saying anybody but Frank, ‘17 draft saying anybody but Monk, ‘18 draft praying we got SGA and if not, anybody but Bridges (will admit he played better than I thought he would) and then this draft saying anybody but Nas or PJ. So next year I’ll let u guys know who I don’t want and that way u will know in advance who we r getting.

Who I would have taken:

12- NAW
36– Bol Bol
52- Aubrey Dawkins
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#24 » by cornchip » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 am

12- Like PJ as a player. Indifferent about the pick. I think PJ will be a solid 12-15 year pro. Could also contribute early but I thought NAW fit more of a need and was a better fit.

36- Cody Martin. Did not like this pick at all. Martin never impressed me much. Both he and his brother were good college players who had the ball a ton. Would've liked Gafford here if we took NAW. With PJ would've went with Admiral.

52- Like the McDaniels pick even though the off the court stuff is concerning.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#25 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:47 am

BuzzCity wrote:I kid u not, I went into the ‘15 draft saying anybody but Frank, ‘17 draft saying anybody but Monk, ‘18 draft praying we got SGA and if not, anybody but Bridges (will admit he played better than I thought he would) and then this draft saying anybody but Nas or PJ.

I get that feeling man.

Going into the 2006 draft I spent months and months on this board saying “anyone but Morrison. Anyone but Morrison”.

The 2006 draft night is, by FAR, the angriest I have ever been after a draft. I was furious we drafted that piece of hack **** Morrison. I said at the time drafting that bum would set our franchise back years - and it did.

I hated everything about Morrison and his game. Hated him in college. Felt strongly he’d suck in the pros. I couldn’t believe we drafted him. I was furious.

I also got very, very drunk that night back in 2006.

Dumbass Adam Morrison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
BuzzCity
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#26 » by BuzzCity » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:28 am

BigSlam wrote:
BuzzCity wrote:I kid u not, I went into the ‘15 draft saying anybody but Frank, ‘17 draft saying anybody but Monk, ‘18 draft praying we got SGA and if not, anybody but Bridges (will admit he played better than I thought he would) and then this draft saying anybody but Nas or PJ.

I get that feeling man.

Going into the 2006 draft I spent months and months on this board saying “anyone but Morrison. Anyone but Morrison”.

The 2006 draft night is, by FAR, the angriest I have ever been after a draft. I was furious we drafted that piece of hack **** Morrison. I said at the time drafting that bum would set our franchise back years - and it did.

I hated everything about Morrison and his game. Hated him in college. Felt strongly he’d suck in the pros. I couldn’t believe we drafted him. I was furious.

Dumbass Adam Morrison.

Haha oh I was just talking newer Hornets days...don’t get me started on some Bobcats decisions...I was right there with u...that POS was a bigger **** than he was a bust...I was a ball boy for 5 years during the bobcats years...he threw a ball straight at my face just cuz he was pissed the NBA switched the from the composite balls back to leather (or vice-versa, can’t remember)...and his warm ups smelled like straight ass. I have no sympathy for that dbag whatsoever
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#27 » by fatlever » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:24 am

tell us more ballboy stories. love these.
chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Post#28 » by chellis » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:13 am

12: I really liked PJ going in to the draft and am happy with the pick. I also wanted NAW or Sekou.
36: Martin is a good player but a far stretch at 36. I believe he would have been available at 52. I 100% would have taken THT with this pick.
52: I like the McDaniels pick. I don’t condone the things he’s done though.

A few thoughts:
1) I would have seriously considered trading back into the first round to take Nassir Little after he slid to 25. He’s long and has the tools to excel and give us a better chance of what we wanted out of MKG. Dude is going to be hungry and pissed after his slide.
2) I would have bought a second rounder around 57-60 and drafted Jontay Porter. Have him continue his rehab and not rush him back.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,137

Post#29 » by Snidely FC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:52 pm

12: I wanted Goga Bitadze, but my second choice was PJ Washington, who I prefer to Rui, Sekou, Clarke, Bol Bol, and all the other non-Goga options (actually would also have been good with Luka Samanic at 12)

36: Hoped Luka Samanic, Grant Williams, Bruno Fernando or Talen Horton-Tucker would fall to us. With Samanic, Williams and Bruno gone I would have taken Talen Horton-Tucker. I thought Cody Martin would go 52 or undrafted, so didn't like the value here

52: wanted Alen Smailagic or Jaylen Nowell, would have been okay with Cody Martin here rather than at 36
I don't think Jalen McDaniels will ever be strong enough to stay on the floor in the NBA - would have taken a flyer on Jontay Porter over McDaniels
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Hornets draft results and my wish list 

Post#30 » by Najee12 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:35 am

It seems that Charlotte was the only team out of the 30 NBA franchises that did not make some sort of deal up to and including the draft. The lack of front-office activity during the trade deadline and before the draft -- especially in light of the upcoming Kemba Walker free agency -- just doesn't bode well to me.

As for the draft ...

No. 12: I had P.J. Washington going to Atlanta at No. 10 on my board (before the Hawks' trade with New Orleans), so Charlotte picking him at this spot is not that outrageous. Of the players on the board, I liked Sekou Doumbouya the most. He seems to run in transition really well for a player his size, looks to be taller than his listed 6-foot-9 and seems to have some good offensive tools.

My choice: Sekou Doumbouya

No. 36: With some of the projected potential first-round picks falling (Bruno Fernando, K.Z. Okpala), it would have made sense for Charlotte to have gotten involved. Okpala was a player I liked coming into the draft but he was gone at No. 32; I would have offered the No. 36 and 52 picks to move up.

My choice: K.Z. Okpala (via trade)
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,044

Post#31 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 am

NAW, Semou, PJ. I think it was Swedd that really got me warmed up to PJ in the draft chat. I was "ok" with him before. I think NAW is going to be really good. Wanted Semou just because its one of those extreme high upside bust ordeals and its fun to pay attention to.

Most ive ever been pissed was probably the 04 and 05 draft before i ever dreamed of posting on here. Okafor was a chiselled machine out of UCONN, but I wanted Howard. Of course our expansion team doesnt get the first pick because were Charlotte fans. Okafor averages 15 and 10 with Brezec, Wallace, and it was actually a decent team to watch. Sorta.

Draft after. Out of Deron Williams, Paul, and Felton of course we end up with Felton. And I wasnt even THAT pissed at the Felton pick than I was at picking Sean May. I wanted either Mccants or Danny Granger. That entire draft especially when we could have used 5 and 13 to move up to 3, but didnt. That draft set us back as much or more than the 06 draft in my opinion.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

The 2004 and 2005 drafts 

Post#32 » by Najee12 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:58 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:Most ive ever been pissed was probably the 04 and 05 draft before i ever dreamed of posting on here. Okafor was a chiselled machine out of UCONN, but I wanted Howard. Of course our expansion team doesnt get the first pick because were Charlotte fans. Okafor averages 15 and 10 with Brezec, Wallace, and it was actually a decent team to watch. Sorta.

Draft after. Out of Deron Williams, Paul, and Felton of course we end up with Felton. And I wasnt even THAT pissed at the Felton pick than I was at picking Sean May. I wanted either Mccants or Danny Granger. That entire draft especially when we could have used 5 and 13 to move up to 3, but didnt. That draft set us back as much or more than the 06 draft in my opinion.

I liked Luol Deng out of all the prospects in the 2004 draft - long, smooth power wing with a unique offensive repertoire, good size, a great frame, a big wingspan and above-average athleticism. One of the big concerns about Emeka Okafor was the back problems he had in UConn, plus his mechanical-looking offensive game. Okafor turned out to have a decent run in Charlotte, but he also had those ankle injuries and didn't have much of a ceiling beyond his rookie season.

Charlotte not trading the Nos. 5 and 13 picks for the No. 3 pick made no sense to me -- I thought Chris Paul was the best player in the draft and both Milwaukee (Andrew Bogut) and Atlanta (Marvin Williams) made it known who they were going to pick with the first two picks. It particularly did not make sense given that the middle of the draft was considered pretty weak; only Danny Granger became a player of note in that 11-29 range (there were better second-rounders from that draft -- Lou Williams, Monta Ellis, Andray Blatche, Ersan İlyasova -- and David Lee went No. 30).
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
KingCat
Sixth Man
And1: 831

Post#33 » by KingCat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:03 am

BigSlam wrote:

I get that feeling man.

Dumbass Adam Morrison.

That was so me in 2012. Beal,Drummond,T-Rob, hell even Barnes I would have been cool with any of those guys. Just anyone but MKG. Felt like he was drafted solely based on his motor. Most important draft in our franchises history and we flunked it.
Your Charlotte Hornets! We’ll eventually get something right;right?
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,032

Post#34 » by JDR720 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 am

I wanted Robinson in 2012...hey he is probably better than MKG is. At least for 1 season lol.

Wanted McLemore (i think) in 2013....yeah.

14, Wanted Stauskas, expected McDermott. Was quite happy Vonleh fell though.....yeah.

2015 Quite liked Myles Turner and Booker....finally got one right lol.

2016...dont want to think about it.

2017 also dont remember. Maybe Kennard? Was happy with Monk though.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#35 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:43 pm

I liked the PJ pick but wanted Goga a bit more at the time.
After seeing the PJ tape more extensively, I like the pick even more. He should be a quality NBA starter.

I wish the had traded up for Goga, Samanic or Bruno with the 2nd rounders but apparently it was way hard to pull off this year. I don't have high hopes for Martin but we can use a big defensive guard with some creative passing skills. If he is that, I'm fine with the pick to help replace Lamb (starting Bacon, play Martin as back up)

I don't know if I like the skinny guy with issues but it was a late late pick so whatever

I think we need to resign Kemba and go thru one last year of purgatory. Our bad contracts become good over the next couple of seasons and we should be able to get more talent or picks in by trading the expirings.

I think we can turn things around if we resign kemba and don't add more bad contracts for short term "gains" anymore.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#36 » by predators » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:24 pm

#12 - Langford is the only guy I thought had a higher ceiling and has a reasonable shot at reaching it. No real complaints with P.J. Would have also been fine with Sekou or Little here.

#36 - 2nd round picks are hard to get worked up over. 6'7" guard that can do a little bit of everything is fine by me even if he is a 5 year senior. In typical Charlotte fashion all the "lay up" 2nd rounders went right before we picked, I bet we panicked a little here.

#52 - Ok with McDaniels. Realistically I doubt he ever puts on enough muscle to look like he's not made out of Popsicle sticks, so he's gotta be able to shoot really well/ guard out to the perimeter to a be an nba player.

Undrafted 2 way - Robert Franks - like what he is on paper a lot.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#37 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 pm

#12 - PJ was the guy I wanted.
#36 - I had really hoped for a center with Claxton & Bruno falling into the 2nd, but both were gone by 36. I'm willing to give Cody 2.0 (Martin) a chance, but probably would have gone with Bol Bol here.
#52 - Would have hoped that Cody was still around, but would not have drafted McDaniels.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#38 » by amcoolio » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:40 am

Updated the first post. You guys are now on record.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,145

Post#39 » by Braggins » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am

amcoolio wrote:Updated the first post. You guys are now on record.

You can add this to my section in the OP if you want.

"I actually think PJ was a really smart pick and will most likely look even better as time goes on and people see how many of the lottery picks from this draft are not nearly as good as people imagined."
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#40 » by fatlever » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 pm

i'll go on record

12 - pj
36 - bol
50 whatever - jontay

1 high floor, 2 with huge bust or boom potential.
rest bol and porter for as long as they need. hope one pans out.

Return to Charlotte Hornets