ImageImageImageImageImage

Admiral Schofield

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: Admiral Schofield 

Post#21 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 pm

queridiculo wrote:How can you not love that guy?

I tell you what, I don't know if this kid will make it in the NBA, but he will make it at something, I'm sure of that.

I hope you saw him block that puppy, Hachimura, btw! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#22 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 am

Hey CCJ, one of the comps for Admiral made by NBA DRAFT ROOM is Morris Almond !!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#23 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:50 am

Solid individual. Looking forward to cheering for him. I like the idea that this squad will be filled with guys who will not be outworked. Hard hat players who have something to prove. I hope we do keep Satoransky, I think he shows similar selfless leadership qualities. I feel like we are building on that Everybody Eats mindset by adding guys like this who care more about squad goals than individual marks. Chemistry is a ghost coach. Adding good attitude and fiery guys helps build a team that can find synergy and succeed beyond their individual talent levels.

Hell. We bought a round two pick for once. And spent it not on Unrealized potential as we tend to do, but on hard working overachievers. Happy about that.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#24 » by payitforward » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm

...and now lets hope that 1 or more of the undrafted FAs we signed knocks us out in SL -- e.g. maybe Mathews ("the. pale-...") will demonstrate that yes he can guard a chair! Even a player in motion -- & that he wants to learn how to do a better job of it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#25 » by DCZards » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:17 pm

All hail the Admiral!

From 247Sports.com:

Tennessee star Admiral Schofield has a chance to be a steal for the Washington Wizards with the 42nd overall pick in the NBA Draft. The Wizards traded with Philadelphia to get the pick, and locked in on one of the top players in the SEC from last season.

Schofield came onto the Washington radar as soon as trade talks began with teams about the second round. The Wizards were eager to pull the trigger on a trade, knowing it meant Schofield as a new piece on the roster.

“I’ve been watching him the last three or four days because I knew we were trying to get involved in the second round,’ head coach Scott Brooks told The Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan in Washington. “The two things that I really love about him are his athleticism and his toughness. He brings it. He’s a strong kid. He’s a strong athlete. He’s a nice kid. I spoke to him last night and he’s just so excited. When you get drafted, it’s one of your favorite nights of your life."
https://247sports.com/Article/Admiral-Schofield-NBA-Draft-Tennessee-Washington-Wizards-133059641/
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#26 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:31 pm

I like the pick. It's going to be about confidence and mental attitude as to whether he makes it. The kid he reminds me most of is another 2nd round draft pick we took who never took the jump, Dominic McGuire. Bit shorter, bit stronger, but similar skill set. McGuire never learned to move aggressively off ball or look for his shot; if Schofield does that, he can be an NBA player.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#27 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I like the pick. It's going to be about confidence and mental attitude as to whether he makes it. The kid he reminds me most of is another 2nd round draft pick we took who never took the jump, Dominic McGuire. Bit shorter, bit stronger, but similar skill set. McGuire never learned to move aggressively off ball or look for his shot; if Schofield does that, he can be an NBA player.

Ehhh... McGuire shot 58% from the line and could barely shoot outside 15 ft with a TS of 50%. He averaged more turnovers than assist at Fresno State in the WAC playing against Idaho and Utah State.

Admiral shot 40% from 3 on substantial volume while putting up the following stat lines
21/3/5 against Kentucky in the ACC tourney
21/2/9 against a final 4 team in Purdue
27 & 9 against LSU
21/10 & 24/9/4 against South Carolina
21/6 against Kansas
30/6 against Gonzaga :o :o :o

McGuire isnt in the same vicinity as Admiral as far as production goes
penbeast0
And1: 8,679

Post#28 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm

I have higher hopes for Schofield but remember how we all loved the McGuire pick too and thought he would be better than Swaggy P (not that we were wrong during their Wizards days).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Dom checked several boxes, but he simply could not shoot, and it's hard to be a wing player in the NBA when you can't shoot.

Schoefield can shoot and he's got a ton of energy and enthusiasm - not to mention he's strong as heck. I expect he'll be an instant fan favorite.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#30 » by Mojo Amok » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm

There's a nice scouting report on t̶h̶e̶ our Admiral over on r/washingtonwizards with situational efficiency stats from both sides of the ball:

STRENGTHS
Admiral Schofield is a 6’5” 241-pound beast of a wing. Schofield is incredibly strong and looks more like a NFL defensive end than a basketball player. He also has high level athleticism that can led to some of the most powerful dunks in all of college basketball; however, Schofield put this on display less than I would have liked while at Tennessee. He excels at shooting from range and scoring through multiple defenders on one-dribble post-ups but struggles when he must put the ball on the floor and create for others. He has always been an efficient scorer, putting up an overall points per possession (PPP) of 1.003 last season (82nd percentile in the NCAA). Many scouts have disagreed about his on the court impact and how he will translate to the next level, but no one disagrees that he has some of the best intangibles of any prospect. He comes from a military family that has instilled in him a level of maturity and hard work that few players have. His four years at Tennessee have also helped him develop great leadership attributes and confidence in big-game scenarios. He is always working on his game and should be someone that NBA teams will want around for a long time.

Schofield has worked on adapting his game to fit into modern basketball schemes. In the 2017-18 season, he took 18.5% of his possessions from post-ups which was his highest of any possession type. However in 2018-19, post-ups have only accounted for 12.7% of his possessions and spot-up shots have accounted for 24.3% of his possessions, where he is scoring 1.116 points per possession (82nd percentile in the NCAA). Admiral has also shown flashes this season of an impressive mid-range game. He can use a quick spin move or step back to create space and nail shots. When Schofield has this part of his game going, he is near unstoppable on the offensive end. A good example of this was Schofield’s 27-point 9-rebound performance against LSU. This is indicative of Schofield’s greater focus on perimeter play and a transition to becoming a more prototypical wing player. He has made this transition while shooting 41.8% from three and sporting a 56.2% true shooting percentage, showing that even when leaving the paint he can still be efficient. Schofield has also adapted his play style to the modern game by getting out in transition more, where he is scoring at an incredible 1.5 points per possession (98th percentile in the NCAA).

Schofield provides solid play on the defensive end of the court and can use his size to guard positions 2 through 4. Many doubt how his defense will translate to the next level because of his lateral quickness and relatively low blocks and steals. But Schofield has relentless effort and his frame and muscle down low make him incredibly hard to move. On shots within 17 feet of the rim, he only allowed 0.429 PPP (89th percentile in the NCAA). Schofield is also a good rebounder for a wing which has many hoping that he may be able to play some minutes as a small-ball center similar to PJ Tucker. This versatility will be very valuable at the next level, as Schofield projects to be a 3-and-D wing who can easily fit into a switching defensive scheme.

https://www.reddit.com/r/washingtonwizards/comments/c4idvu/oc_why_admiral_schofield_could_be_the_steal_of/

I don't think I should post the whole thing and cost them clicks or those precious upvotes, so there's more over on Reddit with sections on weaknesses and projections.

I see his lateral quickness called into question here, which is surprising given the lane agility numbers posted up-thread. *shrugs*
payitforward
RealGM

Post#31 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:41 pm

I loved Dom, but... you weren't going to mistake him for this guy!

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 pm

payitforward wrote:I loved Dom, but... you weren't going to mistake him for this guy!

Read on Twitter

Does he even have a neck? That makes his effective height taller, because compared to the average player, his shoulders are closer to the top of his head.

Otoh, he'll never be able to find a shirt off the rack that fits.

He'll come off the bench to play guard, forward and... linebacker.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#33 » by doclinkin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:43 pm

That’s a huge court. Big change from the basement of the phone booth.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#34 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 pm

80sballboy
RealGM

Post#35 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:17 pm

30pts vs. Gonzaga, 21 vs. Kentucky
;t=10
;t=49
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 pm

The Admiral's ultimate role will be...
Spoiler:
the Zion-stopper
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#37 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:30 pm

A couple of scouting reports. Again, I know a 34-inch vertical isn't great for a 6-5 wing but he appears a lot more explosive on some of those highlights. One thing I'm beginning to notice is a lack of a left-hand. He's dunking right handed off the wrong foot. He rarely goes left and when he does, he's shooting right handed. Everybody is going to play him to his right on drives though he looks like he's going to start out as a 3-point shooter. The length of the NBA 3-point shot will not be an issue for him as you can tell from those highlights. :D
https://youtu.be/sFL8MAXqTs8?t=3
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/22/18630443/admiral-schofield-2019-nba-draft-scouting-report-atlanta-hawks-tennessee
https://medium.com/@asktumma/nba-draft-admiral-schofield-is-the-best-player-nobody-is-talking-about-99d9c36b2f40
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#38 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#39 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:53 pm

80sballboy wrote:A couple of scouting reports. Again, I know a 34-inch vertical isn't great for a 6-5 wing but he appears a lot more explosive on some of those highlights. One thing I'm beginning to notice is a lack of a left-hand. He's dunking right handed off the wrong foot. He rarely goes left and when he does, he's shooting right handed. Everybody is going to play him to his right on drives though he looks like he's going to start out as a 3-point shooter. The length of the NBA 3-point shot will not be an issue for him as you can tell from those highlights. :D
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/22/18630443/admiral-schofield-2019-nba-draft-scouting-report-atlanta-hawks-tennessee
https://medium.com/@asktumma/nba-draft-admiral-schofield-is-the-best-player-nobody-is-talking-about-99d9c36b2f40

I think that's all true.

I don't see Schofield being a shot creator, at least not for a long time. He's going to be a switchable 3&D guy who can attack a closeout, but not much more. Basically, he'll be Kelly Oubre, which is a really good thing if it only costs the 42nd pick in the draft.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#40 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:58 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:A couple of scouting reports. Again, I know a 34-inch vertical isn't great for a 6-5 wing but he appears a lot more explosive on some of those highlights. One thing I'm beginning to notice is a lack of a left-hand. He's dunking right handed off the wrong foot. He rarely goes left and when he does, he's shooting right handed. Everybody is going to play him to his right on drives though he looks like he's going to start out as a 3-point shooter. The length of the NBA 3-point shot will not be an issue for him as you can tell from those highlights. :D

I think that's all true.

I don't see Schofield being a shot creator, at least not for a long time. He's going to be a switchable 3&D guy who can attack a closeout, but not much more. Basically, he'll be Kelly Oubre, which is a really good thing if it only costs the 42nd pick in the draft.

I would say a much smarter Oubre based on his experience. His BB IQ is pretty good and yes, he's definitely not a shot creator nor much of a passer. Defensively, I'd like to see more highlights. He shouldn't be awful with that kind of frame and athletic ability.

Return to Washington Wizards