ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 pm

Celtics Draft Report:
Closer Look At Boston’s Four Newest Additions

by Chris Grenham, on Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 7:47PM

https://nesn.com/2019/06/celtics-draft-report-closer-look-at-bostons-four-newest-additions/

Romeo Langford -- Draft No. 14, Jersey #45

Danny Ainge and the Celtics front office took a chance on Langford at No. 14. The 6-foot-6 wing has an NBA frame with tremendous amount of upside. He’s a good scorer who’s a solid finisher around the rim in addition to his confidence with the ball. There’s no reason to believe he won’t be a pro bucket-getter, especially if he can create his own shot in pick-and-roll sets.

But Langford’s shooting numbers from his lone season at Indiana are not pretty. He shot 27 percent from deep for the Hoosiers, but much of that is due to a thumb injury in his shooting hand. The 19-year-old played through the ailment, but recently had surgery on the torn ligament. His status for Summer League still is up in the air, according to Ainge....

The Indiana product will be a solid, long wing alongside Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. He won’t necessarily be an impact player off the bat, but Boston is in a nice spot where they can be patient with him. If a healthy Langford shows shades of what he was in high school, his versatility should be very valuable for Boston.

Grant Williams -- Draft No. 22, Jersey #40

This was a low-risk, high-reward pick for Boston. The Tennessee product is a team-first guy who plays his butt off no matter what. He had a great year for the Volunteers last season, averaging 18.8 points, 7.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 37 games.

Williams’ basketball IQ is through the roof. He proved to be a solid scorer in college, with most of his points coming around the rim or via midrange shooting. If the 6-foot-7 forward can develop a consistent 3-point shot, this could be a major win for the Celtics....

Bottom line here: Williams works extremely hard and will be a great addition to Boston’s culture. Celtics fans will love his team-first attitude and smart play on the court. If he can adjust his offensive game, Williams could prove to be a steal for Danny Ainge.

Carsen Edwards -- Draft No. 33, Jersey #29

Edwards can shoot the ball with the best of them, that much we know. His Elite Eight showing against Virginia was a sight to behold, so we’re sure plenty of C’s fans were happy to see him end up in Boston.

The Purdue product is undersized, but could fit as a nice depth piece for Boston’s backcourt thanks to his athleticism and scoring ability. Like Williams, his high basketball IQ will benefit him immensely, as Edwards is great at reading the floor.

He’ll need to improve as a passer, but Edwards’ scoring ability should be fun. We’ll get our first look when he’s running the point for Boston’s Summer League squad.

Tremont Waters -- Draft No. 51, Jersey #51

Similar to Edwards, Waters’ lack of size will hurt him on the defensive end at the pro level. But don’t let his 5-foot-10 stature fool you, he’s a great ball handler with solid court vision and a reliable all-around game.

No, he probably doesn’t have a future as an everyday starting point guard in the NBA, but Waters will be a nice depth piece for the organization, especially with the future of its point guard slot remaining in flux.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Former DePaul guard Max Strus signs two-way contract with Celtics
By:Quenton S. Albertie | June 21, 2019 8:45 am

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/21/former-depaul-guard-max-strus-signs-two-way-contract-with-celtics/

Max Strus -- Two-Way Contract

After averaging 20.1 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 0.9 steals per game in 2018-19 (his sophomore season), former DePaul Blue Demons guard Max Strus caught the attention of the Boston Celtics and signed a two-way contract that will allow him to play for Boston intermittently while spending most of his time in the NBA G League with the Maine Red Claws.

The Celtics hosted Strus for a predraft workout back in mid-May.

A catch-and-shoot threat with athleticism and the ability to attack the rim off-the-bounce, Boston’s interest in Strus is understandable. He’s a versatile player but one who could come in handy in a pinch, as the importance of perimeter shooting grows in the league. Strus is also a player that’s great at shooting off of screens, making him an intriguing call-up option should Celtics forward Gordon Hayward find himself out of a game due to rest or injury.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Re: Rookieville, 2019-20 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters; 2-Way = Strus 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:41 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Image

Was that camera angle chosen to make them look bigger?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Rookieville, 2019-20 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters; 2-Way = Strus 

Post#3 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Image

Was that camera angle chosen to make them look bigger?

Naw. Just thought it was a good view.
Danny Ainge looks bigger than most of them, in the photo. :lol:
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,068

Post#4 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm

Look at the smile on Grant Williams. I know absolutely nothing about college ball, but I am getting a really good feeling about this kid from what I have read and seen since draft night.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,214

Post#5 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:24 am

They all seem like good likable young gentlemen. And not just from the pictures below.

Read on Twitter
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#6 » by Shak_Celts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:04 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:They all seem like good likable young gentlemen. And not just from the pictures below.

Read on Twitter

That's the most Romeo has smiled! :)

S/N: if you guys haven't heard he HATES when people say "Romeo Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo?" It was kinda whispered in the presser when Grant said it. I'll try to contain myself but I love playing with people's names. :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#7 » by Taget » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 am

Even though I've tried to keep as upbeat as I can everything that has happened with the Celtics has been rather depressing.

And I'm enough of a cynic and been around long enough to know rookie and summer league hyping always comes back to reality once September arrives. But this group is really likable and despite knowing better I can't help but get excited. And damn if
Grant Williams doesn't know exactly what to say to get Boston fans to root for him to succeed.

*@$@* Zion. Carsen Edwards for ROY!
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#8 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#9 » by JR Hawks » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Let's make a pact right here and right now to not fall head over heels in love with these guys and give them the realgm binkie treatment. It starts with not overacting to good play in the worthless summer league.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Ed Pinkney » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:46 pm

JR Hawks wrote:Let's make a pact right here and right now to not fall head over heels in love with these guys and give them the realgm binkie treatment. It starts with not overacting to good play in the worthless summer league.

No, I will not make such a pact. In fact, I think I will do the opposite.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#11 » by 3D Chess » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:28 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:Let's make a pact right here and right now to not fall head over heels in love with these guys and give them the realgm binkie treatment. It starts with not overacting to good play in the worthless summer league.

I will even make a pact to do the opposite.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#12 » by djFan71 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:04 am

3D Chess wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

I'm in too. It will be a packed pact soon.
Tho, can I still reserve the right to whine about how short they are? Might be a deal breaker for me....
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:19 am

djFan71 wrote:
3D Chess wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

I'm in too. It will be a packed pact soon.
Tho, can I still reserve the right to whine about how short they are? Might be a deal breaker for me....

I concur, the pact is formed. You will need to overcompensate for any whining about their heights with over the top exuberance and unrealistic comps with current All Star and All NBA level players.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#14 » by floyd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:31 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:Look at the smile on Grant Williams. I know absolutely nothing about college ball, but I am getting a really good feeling about this kid from what I have read and seen since draft night.

In the flip side, Pags looks creepy as hell.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#15 » by Writebloc » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:38 am

Me and the 2019 rookie class:

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters; 2-Way = Strus 

Post#16 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#17 » by LewisnotMiller » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am

Nah, sorry.

I reserve the right to fall ridiculously head over heels at the merest hint of NBA calibre play in every meaningless SL league.

Heck, leak me a video of Romeo stroking threes in practise and I'll get a semi.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,214

Post#18 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:07 pm

Is Poirier considered a rookie? Is he the frontrunner for Rookie of the Year?
Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards; 2-Ways = Waters, Strus 

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Boston Celtics: Looking deeper into the rookies after Summer League
by Adam Taylor | 07-20-19
https://hoopshabit.com/2019/07/20/boston-celtics-looking-deeper-rookies-summer-league/

Grant Williams

At 6’7″, 22nd overall pick Grant Williams is an undersized big man, but this does not stop him from impacting the game in a plethora of ways. Strong down low, Williams was able to use post-ups to his advantage in college and this carried into Summer League quite well.

Couple this with his solid screens all over the court and intelligent play-making, he becomes a joy to watch.

A player clearly only interested in winning, he took 15 3-point shots throughout his 37-game college season hitting at a 32 percent clip.

He began shooting the 3-ball at an increased rate over his five Summer League games, shooting the 3 ball 19 times and hitting seven of them for a 36.8 percent success rate.

This indicates a change in playing style is not far from the front of his mind, Williams is smart enough to understand he will struggle to impact the game from the post regularly in the NBA.

An increase of almost three 3-point attempts per game in Summer League displays his willingness to evolve.

Carsen Edwards

Carsen Edwards is potentially the steal of the draft at 6-feet and 200 pounds with a little bit of Russell Westbrook and a sprinkling of Derrick Rose.

Carsen Edwards seemed to thrive in Summer League, averaging 19.4 points,1.4 assists and 3.8 rebounds in 23.3 minutes per game. He displayed an impressive shooting ability and a fearlessness when driving the lane, both scoring and dishing at will.

His performance when in transition was the biggest surprise during his Summer League outings, as in college he was average ranking in the 50th percentile. However, his pull-up jumper would have come as no surprise to Purdue fans.

Edwards was hitting these all season, ranking above the 80th percentile when driving either side of the floor.

Impressive in iso situations and respectable coming off of screen during college, this showed on the next level with multiple plays throughout his five Summer League outings. These are translatable skills which will bode well in the NBA....

With the second unit guard positions far from nailed down for the Boston Celtics, expect Edwards to be provided with opportunities to compete with Brad Wanamaker for the second-string point guard position throughout the early part of the season.

Tremont Waters

An excellent spot-up shooter in college ranking in the 94th percentile and scoring 100 points on 82 possessions which ended with a Waters spot-up shot, he can also hit shots of the catch and shoot, ranking in the 92nd percentile, scoring 99 points from 75 possessions.

For a severely undersized guard, the ability to shoot the ball both from spotting up and in motion are essential. Throughout his final year in college Waters found it difficult to produce while driving the lane or running in transition, his size holds him back in these scenarios it would seem.

Fast forward to Summer League and we saw a totally different player, driving at will and causing havoc whenever he did so. He displayed nifty moves around the hoop whilst being a pest on the defensive end, as evidenced by his two steals per game.

He plays with a never-say-die attitude, something that will endear him to the Celtics fans for a long time to come. Even after he suffered a heartbreaking loss in his personal life, Tremont still played the following night which is a credit to his mindset and mental toughness.

Romeo Langford

Taken with the 14th pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, 19-year-old Romeo Langford comes into the league with question marks about his shooting, due to playing the majority of last season with an injured thumb.

Langford was the only Boston Celtics rookie not to make an appearance throughout Boston’s five Summer League games, due to surgery on his injured thumb, which caused him to slide in the draft originally.

This leaves us with no choice but to wait patiently for his recovery, wondering what his impact on this team will be.

However, a player who stands 6’6″ and finishes the season in the 90th percentile for pick and roll offense as the ball handler and 97th percentile for attacking the basket while cutting bodes well for the Celtics.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#20 » by cloverleaf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:46 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Is Poirier considered a rookie? Is he the frontrunner for Rookie of the Year?
Read on Twitter

Technically yes and no.

Return to Boston Celtics