ImageImageImageImageImage

BREAKING: AD trade now includes Mo/Bonga/Jones to Wiz, AD agrees to waive trade kicker

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Re: BREAKING: AD trade now includes Mo/Bonga/Jones to Wiz, AD agrees to waive trade kicker 

Post#841 » by stan francisco » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 pm

kblo247 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
mighty_duck wrote:That logic could easily work for any of the other K's too - KD, Kyrie or Klay.
And if Lebron and AD held any of the other free agents in high enough esteem, it could very well be someone else (Butler, Kemba, Dlo).
Whoever it is, I agree that the decision has already been made.

Kemba and Butler don't move the needle this much.
I don't think Klay would ever give that kind of assurance... I don't think either side has any interest in him leaving GSW.
I also don't know if Kyrie giving his assurance would trigger something like this... But maybe...
KD would, but I just think with the timing of all this and the other rumors, it's most likely Kawhi.

Jimmy just came the closest to beating Kawhi if anyone.

Jimmy also has made every team no matter the coach or players or fit work and playoff ready. His biggest praising point is he took Wiggins and Towns to the playoffs out west. Lebron cant even say he’s accomplished that out west.

I agree with you on Kemba unless if he giving you a discount. And I know that Klay, KD, and Kawhi are all better. That said I wouldn’t write off the fact that Jimmy could walk in here and change a couple things

- You get a secondary ball handler and playmaker
- You get a second primary closer
- You get a real vocal and loud locker room which AD thrives under
- Lebron has someone who can tell him the **** he doesn’t want to hear like Wade could

Jimmy to me seems like the obvious fit. He’s what you hoped Ingram could possibly one day be impact and leadership wise.

I agree. Jimmy Butler is the personality we need. A badass infusion. Klay is the player we need.

Edit: but if that left knee is projected to heal, you have to go all in for the best player in the game, the finals mvp.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Re: BREAKING: AD trade now includes Mo/Bonga/Jones to Wiz, AD agrees to waive trade kicker 

Post#842 » by kblo247 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:01 am

dockingsched wrote:
kblo247 wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Why not? Is because it’s not a separate trade?

Because you renounce it to get the cap room slot

The Lakers will be acquiring more salary then they send out, there’s no TPE generated from that.

I think it will go Wizards deal, FA signing, AD trade in that order on the 6th
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,651

Post#843 » by dockingsched » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 am

kblo247 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:
kblo247 wrote:
Because you renounce it to get the cap room slot

The Lakers will be acquiring more salary then they send out, there’s no TPE generated from that.

Nah, that’s a fundamental misunderstanding of how the money is going to be made to work.

Lakers already have $32 mil in cap if they renounce their free agents. They don’t need to do the Wiz deal to get there. Only reason people projected them to have less is because the way the AD deal was previously structured, it required the Lakers to use up some cap to make the money work.

By adding Wagner/Bonga/Jones to the trade, the Lakers now have enough salary going out to be able to trade for AD without using cap. This allows them to first use their cap, then execute the Davis deal.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
kblo247
RealGM

Post#844 » by kblo247 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:16 am

dockingsched wrote:
kblo247 wrote:
dockingsched wrote:The Lakers will be acquiring more salary then they send out, there’s no TPE generated from that.

Nah, that’s a fundamental misunderstanding of how the money is going to be made to work.

Lakers already have $32 mil in cap if they renounce their free agents. They don’t need to do the Wiz deal to get there. Only reason people projected them to have less is because the way the AD deal was previously structured, it required the Lakers to use up some cap to make the money work.

By adding Wagner/Bonga/Jones to the trade, the Lakers now have enough salary going out to be able to trade for AD without using cap. This allows them to first use their cap, then execute the Davis deal.

Okay cool, thanks. I was just listening to the radio and they said they were separate deals instead of a 3 team deal with the Wiz.

As for Jimmy Buckets, Shams saying Jimmy will give Sixers first meeting and can come here next up if Kawhi says no and the Sixers don't come correct

Read on Twitter
?s=21
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#845 » by BigLurch92 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 am

Out of curiosity how do you guys build a team after you sign another max player? If i'm not mistaken you would need 11-12 players. how much money is left? what type of players could you get?
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#846 » by LBC SoCal » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 am

Crossing my fingers for Kawhi....oh man.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#847 » by Pointgod » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:08 am

BigLurch92 wrote:Out of curiosity how do you guys build a team after you sign another max player? If i'm not mistaken you would need 11-12 players. how much money is left? what type of players could you get?

Sign a max, use the MLE and at least 2 vet mins to get us to 7. Sign at least 3 rookies from summer league to get us to 10. Fill out the rest of the roster at the end of the offseason to get us to 12. Save one or two spots for buyout candidates throughout the season.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#848 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:09 am

stan francisco wrote:
kblo247 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Kemba and Butler don't move the needle this much.
I don't think Klay would ever give that kind of assurance... I don't think either side has any interest in him leaving GSW.
I also don't know if Kyrie giving his assurance would trigger something like this... But maybe...
KD would, but I just think with the timing of all this and the other rumors, it's most likely Kawhi.

Jimmy just came the closest to beating Kawhi if anyone.

Jimmy also has made every team no matter the coach or players or fit work and playoff ready. His biggest praising point is he took Wiggins and Towns to the playoffs out west. Lebron cant even say he’s accomplished that out west.

I agree with you on Kemba unless if he giving you a discount. And I know that Klay, KD, and Kawhi are all better. That said I wouldn’t write off the fact that Jimmy could walk in here and change a couple things

- Lebron has someone who can tell him the **** he doesn’t want to hear like Wade could

Jimmy to me seems like the obvious fit. He’s what you hoped Ingram could possibly one day be impact and leadership wise.

I agree. Jimmy Butler is the personality we need. A badass infusion. Klay is the player we need.

Edit: but if that left knee is projected to heal, you have to go all in for the best player in the game, the finals mvp.

Butler will be 30 next season... His personality matches, his age doesn't. We're trying to find a name to allign with AD's timeline, not LeBron's, because were not likely to see this kind of cap again until LeBron retires...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
kblo247
RealGM

Post#849 » by kblo247 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:09 am

BigLurch92 wrote:Out of curiosity how do you guys build a team after you sign another max player? If i'm not mistaken you would need 11-12 players. how much money is left? what type of players could you get?

You are required to carry 14, not 12. And 13 remain active. Nba changed that a few years back
kblo247
RealGM

Post#850 » by kblo247 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:12 am

Kilroy wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
kblo247 wrote:Jimmy just came the closest to beating Kawhi if anyone.

Butler will be 30 next season... His personality matches, his age doesn't. We're trying to find a name to allign with AD's timeline, not LeBron's, because were not likely to see this kind of cap again until LeBron retires...

His everything matches in the sense that he is between the two age wise and the buffer. AD isn’t a guy who leads you. I’ve seen him up close. He lets a guy like rondo lead him and let’s a guy like cousins be the vocal bad guy. It’s why he and Jrue struggled, they weren’t the ones who could do that out loud. Jimmy go produce for the first 3 years imo and then be Iggy in year 4 and still have the locker room voice.

34 Lebron
30 Butler
26 AD
24 Kuz

That lines up very well actually across the board.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#851 » by iamworthy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:56 am

I hope we don't end up with butler
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#852 » by Penberthy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:00 am

Vet Mins, MLE, Bird rights

Rondo Caruso THT
Kawhi JR Smith Stephenson
Lebron Kuzma Korver
AD Kuzma
Noel McGee Chandler
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Post#853 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:01 am

iamworthy wrote:I hope we don't end up with butler

It’s Kawhi or depth for me. Nobody else is in his league.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,930

Post#854 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:09 am

If you can't get Kawhi then Butler is the best possible choice.

Butler SG/SF, LeBron SF/PF, AD PF/C

You can slot players in around this lineup at any position. All 3 can score in isolation, 2 can lead an offense, 2 defenders can cover positions 1 to 5.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#855 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:25 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:

Kyrie is younger than butler and has statistically better defense, on top of being a more versatile scorer... Why wouldn't he be on the list too?

Kawhi is tops for me, but I would be comfortable falling back on Kyrie if we could... I'm not sure I feel the same about Butler. I might think about seeing how creative I can get with a spit if it came to him...
kblo247
RealGM

Post#856 » by kblo247 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am

Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Kyrie is younger than butler and has statistically better defense, on top of being a more versatile scorer... Why wouldn't he be on the list too?

Kawhi is tops for me, but I would be comfortable falling back on Kyrie if we could... I'm not sure I feel the same about Butler. I might think about seeing how creative I can get with a spit if it came to him...

Jimmy Butler has played less minutes than Kyrie or Kemba for his career
kblo247
RealGM

Post#857 » by kblo247 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:34 am

Personality? Talent? Age? Why?

The LAkers have been a losing team for 6 years and even last year LeBron had his commitment to winning question, while AD hasn't been winning a lot in his own career. Jimmy has shown he can make a locker room uncomfortable but he has also shown he can push a team to the playoffs and demand excellence. He demanded excellence of Towns and Wiggins and made them a playoff team out west and they are charmin tough

Talent? He's an all star player, hes a great defender. HE showed just these playoffs he can be a primary play maker as the Raptors got pushed to 7 because he was handling the ball over Simmons. Again he's made the fit work with Wade and Rondo, Towns and Wiggings, Simmons and Embid, so you can pretty much say he can make LeBron and AD work no matter what.

Again the number can be used against hi,m. He hasn't missed as many games as Russell, Ingram, Zo, or those guys. HE's actually played less minutes for his career than both Kemba or Kyrie. HE isn't out for months like KD and Klay.

I mean he's not Kawhi, no one is **** Kawhi, but this team needs

- a Closer
- guy who can make freethrows
- primary perimeter defender
- secondary ball handler and playmaker
- vocal guy who holds people accountable

On this market, who fits close to all of that besides Jimmy Butler?

I mean Klay could but 4 months is tough
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Post#858 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:34 am

Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I feel that Kawhi isn’t just tops, he’s head and shoulders above everybody else. Probably head and torso. Legit MVP candidate who can dominate on both ends whereas Kyrie and Butler are merely really good. That’s a substantial drop-off, to the point I’ve come around that it would probably be better to add a handful of C-pluses and B-minuses than one B-plus or A-minus. If that makes sense.

Even with Kawhi, while I have a tough time imagining we wouldn’t win a couple of titles, depth/balance is going to be an issue. And super teams rarely seem to live up to expectations. Not to say you don’t jump at the chance to add them. Superstars are the toughest to get, and you’ll gladly take your chances with two top five players in their prime. It’s just, again, I think Butler and Kyrie, despite being quality players, don’t bring nearly that same impact. So I’d rather go in a different direction.
BDE
Senior
And1: 1,174

Post#859 » by BDE » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:36 am

You guys arent getting Kawhi. Hes staying here in the 6ix.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#860 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:36 am

kblo247 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Jimmy Butler has played less minutes than Kyrie or Kemba for his career

False... He's played more than Kyrie... About 50 or so minutes... But still.

I never mentioned Kemba because I'm not at all interested in Kemba, but he does have fewer than Kemba.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers