ImageImage

Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Most likely scenario:

Kemba re-signs with us the moment free agency opens.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else the moment free agency opens.
45%
Kemba re-signs with us within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
23%
Kemba re-signs with us within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba re-signs with us a week+ after free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else a week+ after free agency opening.
6%

Total votes: 47

316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Re: Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#921 » by 316Hornets » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm

gundysmullet wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Why doesn't Boston just send us Hayward is exchange for Kemba in a S&T? Do they really think he's about to turn it around or are we just showing no interest in picking up some draft capital for taking him on?

Why would the Hornets want Hayward? He would block the development of miles and bacon and does not fit the ime frame for the rebuild.

Draft pick(s), veteran leader that isn't lazy.

We could bring in hayward and stretch Biz and stay under the luxury tax?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
JDuaneWayne
Senior
And1: 115

Post#922 » by JDuaneWayne » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Jordan you've lost, throw in your hand and back away from the table
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#923 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BigSlam wrote:He was reportedly offered $20mil more than the Celtics could pay.............and it didn't matter.

over one less year. MJ and Co. offered him about $5M less per year than Boston did. That's an abomination

They reportedly offered him a contract that was worth $20 million dollars more than anyone else could. Years per are irrelevant. The worth of the contract was +$20 million.

And $20 millions dollars more didn't move the needle even slightly enough for Kemba to engage in any negotiations. The moment that information dropped he was linked to Boston.

years are COMPLETELY relevant, what a stupid statement. If you don't believe that you don't have respect for time as a finite resource. One lawyer taking a contract for $10,000 over 40 hours is making out better than the lawyer who takes $12,000 for 80 hours. Now if you wanna argue he wouldn't be able to make up the $20m on the last year, that's debatable, but at least argue the right point. Years matter just like dollars.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#924 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:36 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:over one less year. MJ and Co. offered him about $5M less per year than Boston did. That's an abomination

They reportedly offered him a contract that was worth $20 million dollars more than anyone else could. Years per are irrelevant. The worth of the contract was +$20 million.

And $20 millions dollars more didn't move the needle even slightly enough for Kemba to engage in any negotiations. The moment that information dropped he was linked to Boston.

years are COMPLETELY relevant, what a stupid statement. If you don't believe that you don't have respect for time as a finite resource. One lawyer taking a contract for $10,000 over 40 hours is making out better than the lawyer who takes $12,000 for 80 hours. Now if you wanna argue he wouldn't be able to make up the $20m on the last year, that's debatable, but at least argue the right point. Years matter just like dollars.

Are you directing this at me??
B B M F 'ers
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#925 » by SWedd523 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:37 pm

316Hornets wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
316Hornets wrote:Why doesn't Boston just send us Hayward is exchange for Kemba in a S&T? Do they really think he's about to turn it around or are we just showing no interest in picking up some draft capital for taking him on?

Why would the Hornets want Hayward? He would block the development of miles and bacon and does not fit the ime frame for the rebuild.

You take a huge risk just hoping Hayward returns to form, if not, you add yet another albatross contract to the books. If he does, he pushes you to the 10th-12th pick, which is not where the team should be if they want to rebuild.

And stretching contracts is a non starter. That's not something you do as a rebuilding team
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#926 » by 316Hornets » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:38 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:over one less year. MJ and Co. offered him about $5M less per year than Boston did. That's an abomination

You are ignoring endorsements and exposure.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
316Hornets
Lead Assistant

Post#927 » by 316Hornets » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:40 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Why would the Hornets want Hayward? He would block the development of miles and bacon and does not fit the ime frame for the rebuild.

You take a huge risk just hoping Hayward returns to form, if not, you add yet another albatross contract to the books. If he does, he pushes you to the 10th-12th pick, which is not where the team should be if they want to rebuild.

And stretching contracts is a non starter. That's not something you do as a rebuilding team

His contract would end the same time as Batum's. Are we really planning on competing with Batum on the books? Hayward isn't going to return to form in my opinion. He has lost a step and is working hard to just not be a negative player.
NCHeels2008
RealGM

Post#928 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:41 pm

BigSlam wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:They reportedly offered him a contract that was worth $20 million dollars more than anyone else could. Years per are irrelevant. The worth of the contract was +$20 million.

yea you said years don't matter that's a hilariously ignorant statement
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#929 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:43 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:

You might want to read back over my posts to gain an understanding of where I sit on the per year Vs total years argument before you start running your mouth and attacking me.
B B M F 'ers
NCHeels2008
RealGM

Post#930 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:48 pm

BigSlam wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:Are you directing this at me??

You might want to read back over my posts to gain an understanding of where I sit on the per year Vs total years argument before you start running your mouth and attacking me.

yea I don't think you get how this works, yes it is more money but it takes more years, those are years where he could make the same or more. You can't possibly be this dense.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#931 » by SWedd523 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:00 pm

316Hornets wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
316Hornets wrote:

His contract would end the same time as Batum's. Are we really planning on competing with Batum on the books? Hayward isn't going to return to form in my opinion. He has lost a step and is working hard to just not be a negative player.

Competing isn't what matters. Having the space and flexibility to make things happen is.

I'll reiterate again.

If he returns to form, we're looking at the 10-12th draft pick. That's bad

If he doesn't return to form, we're looking at an untradable contract to go along with the OTHER untradable contract already on the books. That's also bad

Then you want to stretch a contract, which puts dead space on the books and loses a potential asset in the form of an expiring contract. That's bad too

Teams routinely use cap space in order to facilitate trades, picking up assets in the form of expiring contracts, young players, or draft picks. You remove that capability by locking yourself into massive amounts of money in Batum/Hayward. Even more bad

It's just a lot of bad, all around.
hotrod
Veteran
And1: 150

Post#932 » by hotrod » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#933 » by BigSlam » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:17 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:

yea I don't think you get how this works, yes it is more money but it takes more years, those are years where he could make the same or more. You can't possibly be this dense.

yea keep going with the name calling and we'll see where that ends up.

In the meantime work on equating how $160 million guaranteed total dollars is less than $140m million guaranteed total dollars.

Then tell me how after 4 years you can guarantee he'll make as much or more money when he's past his prime.

Then tell me how you can guarantee he wont suffer a serious or career ending injury over that time costing him the $20 million extra he had guaranteed in his back pocket.
B B M F 'ers
NCHeels2008
RealGM

Post#934 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm

BigSlam wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:
BigSlam wrote:You might want to read back over my posts to gain an understanding of where I sit on the per year Vs total years argument before you start running your mouth and attacking me.

yea keep going with the name calling and we'll see where that ends up.

In the meantime work on equating how $160 million guaranteed total dollars is less than $140m million guaranteed total dollars.

Then tell me how after 4 years you can guarantee he'll make as much or more money when he's past his prime.

Then tell me how you can guarantee he wont suffer a serious or career ending injury over that time costing him the $20 million extra he had guaranteed in his back pocket.

I can't guarantee that and in my first reply I even said if you had said that, I would consider that a valid counter, but just a blanket "years don't matter", they do, Do you really think 1 year $100 million dollars would be a worse deal for kemba than 4 for 140, I mean it's a GUARANTEED 40M more, nevermind he would have 3 more years to recover the money. To blanket statement "years don't matter" I mean dude of course they do.
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#935 » by countryboi » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:23 pm

Scary terry is very meh

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#936 » by fatlever » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Read on Twitter

not sure if true, but...
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,033

Post#937 » by JDR720 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 pm

If that is true, this franchise is completely and totally incompetent.

Kemba was willing to take a discount, but the team wanted him to take an even bigger discount because they are cheap.

This doesn't look good, for the fans and potential signings in the future.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#938 » by fatlever » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:45 pm

bucks offer middleton more than we offered kemba.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#939 » by cornchip » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:30 pm

fatlever wrote:
Read on Twitter

not sure if true, but...

That just can't be true. If it is, we deserve every terrible season for the remainder of his contract in Boston.

Dude has been playing on a discount for years. He was willing to take a discount on the regular max. He was willing to take less than what Middleton and Harris got.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Re: Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#940 » by stinger14 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:41 pm

5/175 would be 35 a year which would match Bostons per year, just a 5th year for Kemba....and since we been hearing for a couple of days that our offer was 5/160 ......then this adds up to most likely being true....literally the worst franchise in all of sports at this point

Return to Charlotte Hornets