Bye Fav, last from ol'skool true Jazzman

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

eLo
Sixth Man
And1: 132

Bye Fav, last from ol'skool true Jazzman 

Post#1 » by eLo » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:21 am

Last guy from lets called Sloan era is gone. Fav was great player , good guy outside of court, did not think about cash like most pro athletes right now. I wish him all the best and i hope he will prove he is absolute top center in this league
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: Bye Fav, last from ol'skool true Jazzman 

Post#2 » by stitches » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:28 am

Yep.. absolute class act who sacrificed a ton for this team. I'm glad he finally will have the chance to start at his natural position. Here's something I wrote and just posted on a Pels board about Favors, hope you guys don't mind me posting it here too, even though you already know most of those things:

Another Jazz fan here. I'm another one whose favorite player of this iteration of the Jazz was Derrick Favors. I **** love this guy! He's been the most professional and unselfish player on the Jazz last decade or so.

He was the ultimate victim of the unexpected Rudy Gobert rise to the scene. He was well on his way to max contracts and potentially even all-star appearances, he was turning into one of the best two-way bigs in the league. The first player that started getting all-star buzz(in 2014-2015) from this Jazz team was not Hayward and it was not Gobert. It was Favors. He was playing great basketball, but with time Gobert took more and more of the shine in this Jazz offense and Favors became a bit underutilized in this system for the good of the team.

Then the injuries hit... and the Haywood free agency year. He got hit with a bone bruise and another injury that is very similar to what sidelined Kawhi for the full year. But the Jazz needed to win in order to impress Hayward and our other PFs were hot trash... so Favors played through it all year. All year... didn't say a word about it, didn't complain. He powered through it quietly while everybody was wondering why he's lost a step, why he's not dunking anymore, why his rim protection and rim finishing numbers dropped precipitously that season. At the end he couldn't take it anymore and answered on twitter to yet another journalist taking a shot at him with "I've been playing on one leg". Then he proceeded to win us the Clippers series after Gobert went down... on one leg again.

The following year he was integral part in another playoff win vs the OKC Thunder(that 20/16 game was insane), but his role offensively was continuously getting diminished while on the floor with Gobert. It wasn't because he couldn't do it anymore... it was just a matter of having very overlapping skillset with Gobert. You can see that in his stats without Gobert on the floor. The moment he gets the bulk of the PnRs and rim runs instead of having to space in the corner he turns into a beast. Look at those stats, without Gobert on the floor last year (per 36) - 21pts, 14rbs, 2ast with 2.5blks and 1.2stls on 67% TS%. This is a freaking monster! And BTW this was happening while the Jazz defensive numbers were getting better with him on the floor than with Gobert on the floor. Yes, this is the luxury we had last year - we could bench our 2-time consecutive DPOY and have our defensive efficiency get better because of Favors! (edit: here's the link
)

And while this all was happening he never said a word of discontent. Never complained, was always a great teammate and presence in the lockerroom. He was just going out there and doing his job night after night. This is why the Jazz FO gave him this contract last year... it was probably much more than he could have gotten on the market coming off injuries. This is why he's so beloved by most Jazz fans and why you are getting droves of fans flocking to your subreddit to tell you how much of a boss you are getting.

So yeah... I'm happy he's finally going to get the chance to start for a team at the position he's best at and I'm doubly happy it's going to be for an exciting team like the Pels with Zion and all the other young guys. Please treat him well, guys. Derrick is a gem and I cannot wait to watch play for you. He's always going to have a ton of friends and fans among Jazz fans.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#3 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:34 am

That sums it up quite nice Stitches. I’m now a de facto Pels fan as long as Favs is playing for them (minus them playing us of course) . Rooting for them to surprise folks. In a dream world the Pels would eliminate the Lakers in a playoff series.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#4 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:58 pm

I am going to miss this guy. Favors did what ever was asked of him. He consistently played great D and rim protection, and he stepped up on offense when we went to him. He helped lead us to victory in the Clipper series two years ago on one leg when Gobert was out. Favs competed at a high level night in and night out.

I hope Favors gets about a 15 minute standing ovation the first time he comes back to play. Good luck at New Orleans Favors!
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#5 » by sipclip » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:14 pm

Watch him turn around and start making the 3 ball now after a few years of working on it.
stitches
RealGM

Post#6 » by stitches » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#7 » by zero24gravity » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:54 pm

The additions the Jazz have made are great, but losing Favs is a seriously understated loss. This guy will be missed on the court more than most Jazz fans realize. I have 1,000's of words about how I feel about Favs, but for now I'm just going to say that I'll miss him a lot. sux.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#8 » by El Hespiritu » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm trying my best to bite my tongue.
At least, 'til we know the full roster (I guess there are one or two more new guys to come yet).

But losing our NoIdeal starting PF is to my eyes the hardest of this season's loss for Utah.

And you know I'm an RR fanboy.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#9 » by @ndrew » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:04 pm

I wish there was a chance to keep Favors. I'm still not getting this "contender" hype, because we are going to fight really hard for every bounced ball. With Favors - I would sleep well at night not thinking about rebounding.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,063

Post#10 » by Rauxcee » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:48 pm

Favors was such a great guy, teammate, and player. He was the ultimate team player. Jazz will definitely feel his loss.

Hope for the best!
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#11 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:52 am

I think Ingles said it best - every year trade rumors regarding him and he never let it get the best of him and still gave everything to this team. A little part of me just became a bit of a Pels fan now.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
stitches
RealGM

Post#12 » by stitches » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:29 am

Favors says goodbye on instagram:

_dfavors15 wrote:It’s been an amazing 8 1/2 years in Utah, Thank you to the Utah Jazz organization, the coaching staff & my teammates for everything! I’m going to cherish all the great experiences over the years as it helped make me the player I am.
Thank you to the Jazz fans for all the love over the years. Your loyalty and passion for the game will stay with me forever!!! Thank you #jazznation!!! I’m excited to start a new chapter in my career as a New Orleans Pelican. I cannot wait to get to work and help lead our young core realize their full potential.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#13 » by dr0welf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:08 pm

stitches wrote:Favors says goodbye on instagram:

_dfavors15 wrote:It’s been an amazing 8 1/2 years in Utah, Thank you to the Utah Jazz organization, the coaching staff & my teammates for everything! I’m going to cherish all the great experiences over the years as it helped make me the player I am.
Thank you to the Jazz fans for all the love over the years. Your loyalty and passion for the game will stay with me forever!!! Thank you #jazznation!!! I’m excited to start a new chapter in my career as a New Orleans Pelican. I cannot wait to get to work and help lead our young core realize their full potential.

Always and forever a stud! Thank you DFavs for bringing excitement and effort every night!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#14 » by CAE15 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:15 pm

This thread needs to be either treated as an appreciation thread or we need to start one. 12 replies on a top 5 power forward for us all time is simply not a good enough tribute for this man who grew up here

I loved how he would have a play that just energized the team. A monster dunk or crazy defense or rebound after rebound after rebound. Wish nothing but the best for this guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
stitches
RealGM

Post#15 » by stitches » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Read on Twitter
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#16 » by El Hespiritu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:48 pm

At least, all of this earned an honest smile at some children's face.

-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
stitches
RealGM

Post#17 » by stitches » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:32 pm

30 minutes interview with Favs on ESPN 700:
https://espn700sports.com/news/derrick-favors-bids-adieu-to-utah-and-looks-back-on-time-with-the-jazz/

Love Favs! Very positive interview overall...

Also... talks about Dante a bit and sheds some light into why the Jazz are so high on him. He said the summer before Warren fell on his shoulder and screwed up his season, he was the best player in camp.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#18 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:58 pm

AB and Favs are two of my all time favorite Jazz personalities, and for completely opposite reasons :lol:
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#19 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Favs is the best. I really respect him as a person. Humble and hard working. Wish more players could be the example he is. He exemplifies what the Miller organization try to be to the community.

Favs is the only jersey I’ve bought and he is the only player I stood in line to shake hands with. Him and Boris were a bit surprised as we were the last ones in the long line and all my son and I did was ask them for a handshake and then I said thanks for playing through the pain to Favs. It seemed as though he appreciated that.

I’m rooting for the Pels to make the playoffs this year.

Return to Utah Jazz