WOJ: Ed Davis to UTA for room MLE

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Re: WOJ: Ed Davis to UTA for room MLE 

Post#21 » by stitches » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:31 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:He's not going to play PF, is he?

According to Locke - no.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#22 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:08 am

Daddy 801 wrote:
CAE15 wrote:
Luigi wrote:
If we don't give Snyder another option at 4, I don't think Ingles is going to be in the weightroom enough to prevent it.
Jazz can play Ingles, Bogdanovic, Royce, Niang, Davis at the 4 depending on matchups and what are they really facing? Who's the big you're so worried about? Nurk and Collins? Tucker and Capela? Draymond and Looney? LMA and Poeltl? Harrell and Gallo? Adams and Grant? Jokic and Millsap? Favors and Zion? Bagley and Dedmon? JJJ and Val? Kat and Dieng? Zing and Powell? Ayton and Saric? Anyone that plays in the post will have Rudy on them and one of the 5 guys from our team can handle the other "big" at least somewhat. And perhaps Brantley shows well. Jazz are very versatile

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

Couldn’t agree more. Every other team has four guard/wing players on the floor with a big for the past 2-3 years and the forum has complained we aren’t playing the modern way, and now people are worried we’ll get bullied by so called PF’s. Let other teams make the mistake we made and play a big PF. Quin will devise a scheme where we run handoffs, get the advantage, and then exploit the match up. And if the PF can even keep pace we’ll have Ingles, Bojan, or Royce in the corner waiting for a catch and drain a 3. We’re going to be the team forcing other teams to change their PF out because we’re draining 3’s on them.

I don't yet buy the versatility claim. O'neale is a 2/3 more than a 3/4. He's not guarding 4s on the regular. Bogdanovic is a 3. He's not guarding anybody, but he'll follow around the opposing small forward most nights, and be a switch problem for us. Ingles is the most natural 3 around, but he'll probably have to cover 4s more than Bogdanovic will. (I know bb ref thinks Ingles plays a lot of 4, but that's because they list him at the 4 when Crowder was playing on the floor with him, clearly a mistake). Yeah, I already went through the list much earlier with babyjax. For reference, Bogdanovic is 70th of 93 small forwards in real defensive plus minus. Niang is 87th. Ingles is 14th. Niang and Bogdanovic have been on elite strong defensive squads with DPOY level anchors, too.

So, how do we like putting Ingles or Bodganovic on these 4s?

James, (Davis) - James is always a problem, but you need some beef to give him different looks
Millsap, (Jokic) - Millsap on the offensive glass will be tough
Aminu, (Nurkic) - This is not so bad, unless we see more Collins at 4
Green, (Looney?) - Green likes to take smaller players to the rack
Aldridge, (Poeltl) - I'm actually really worried about what Popovich could do to us with a defensive liability to exploit
Zion, (Favors) - Zion will have good nights against our college sized guys.

Tucker (Capella) - Tucker is tougher than Joe, but that won't be too bad.
Grant (Adams) - Grant poses the opposite problem, he's explosive.

Horford, (Embiid) - Twin towers. If we see Harris, I think he'll shoot over Bogdanovic and Ingles.
Giannis, (Lopez) - Greek freak is going to average 60 on us :lol:
Sabonis, (Turner) - He's beefy.

Almost all the playoff teams are gonna be kinda big. The top of the East is outright scary, thank goodness we're in the west (I think...?). We'll see if we can force teams to go small or not. But those look like 9 of the best 12 teams to me, and 8 pose a problem to our lineup at the 4 spot and open up a hole in our defense. I can't believe this, but I think we're going to miss Jae Crowder.

stitches wrote:

According to Locke - no.

Looks to me like Ed Davis is a 18 minute a night guy. And Gobert is a 32 minute a night guy. We're looking at a pair of centers there. So the center position won't take a step backward on defense, which I am happy about. But the 4 spot on defense looks pretty bad to me. Besides positions, offenses are going to put Bogdanovic into a lot of screens hunting for him on the switch wherever we put him.

I've got my fingers crossed that Thabo Sefolosha comes back at the vet minimum and can play more than 40 games. We'll need him at the 4 so that we're not playing everyone out of position. But it kinda stinks when the good scenario is 35 years old and an injury risk.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#23 » by CAE15 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:13 pm

Jazz played lineups with 3 guys who didn't space the floor at times. I really don't think we won't see Gobert and Davis on the court at times together. Out of minimum bigs left, I'm all about Tolliver

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#24 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:20 pm

Luigi wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
CAE15 wrote:Jazz can play Ingles, Bogdanovic, Royce, Niang, Davis at the 4 depending on matchups and what are they really facing? Who's the big you're so worried about? Nurk and Collins? Tucker and Capela? Draymond and Looney? LMA and Poeltl? Harrell and Gallo? Adams and Grant? Jokic and Millsap? Favors and Zion? Bagley and Dedmon? JJJ and Val? Kat and Dieng? Zing and Powell? Ayton and Saric? Anyone that plays in the post will have Rudy on them and one of the 5 guys from our team can handle the other "big" at least somewhat. And perhaps Brantley shows well. Jazz are very versatile

Couldn’t agree more. Every other team has four guard/wing players on the floor with a big for the past 2-3 years and the forum has complained we aren’t playing the modern way, and now people are worried we’ll get bullied by so called PF’s. Let other teams make the mistake we made and play a big PF. Quin will devise a scheme where we run handoffs, get the advantage, and then exploit the match up. And if the PF can even keep pace we’ll have Ingles, Bojan, or Royce in the corner waiting for a catch and drain a 3. We’re going to be the team forcing other teams to change their PF out because we’re draining 3’s on them.

I don't yet buy the versatility claim. O'neale is a 2/3 more than a 3/4. He's not guarding 4s on the regular. Bogdanovic is a 3. He's not guarding anybody, but he'll follow around the opposing small forward most nights, and be a switch problem for us. Ingles is the most natural 3 around, but he'll probably have to cover 4s more than Bogdanovic will. (I know bb ref thinks Ingles plays a lot of 4, but that's because they list him at the 4 when Crowder was playing on the floor with him, clearly a mistake). Yeah, I already went through the list much earlier with babyjax. For reference, Bogdanovic is 70th of 93 small forwards in real defensive plus minus. Niang is 87th. Ingles is 14th. Niang and Bogdanovic have been on elite strong defensive squads with DPOY level anchors, too.

James, (Davis) - James is always a problem, but you need some beef to give him different looks
Aldridge, (Poeltl) - I'm actually really worried about what Popovich could do to us with a defensive liability to exploit

Horford, (Embiid) - Twin towers. If we see Harris, I think he'll shoot over Bogdanovic and Ingles.

Almost all the playoff teams are gonna be kinda big. The top of the East is outright scary, thank goodness we're in the west (I think...?). We'll see if we can force teams to go small or not. But those look like 9 of the best 12 teams to me, and 8 pose a problem to our lineup at the 4 spot and open up a hole in our defense. I can't believe this, but I think we're going to miss Jae Crowder.

stitches wrote:

According to Locke - no.

Looks to me like Ed Davis is a 18 minute a night guy. And Gobert is a 32 minute a night guy. We're looking at a pair of centers there. So the center position won't take a step backward on defense, which I am happy about. But the 4 spot on defense looks pretty bad to me. Besides positions, offenses are going to put Bogdanovic into a lot of screens hunting for him on the switch wherever we put him.

I've got my fingers crossed that Thabo Sefolosha comes back at the vet minimum and can play more than 40 games. We'll need him at the 4 so that we're not playing everyone out of position. But it kinda stinks when the good scenario is 35 years old and an injury risk.

We just got wrecked by the Rockets two years in a row who most certainly were not employing a traditional big PF who bullied the Jazz in the paint. They destroyed us by playing people like PJ Tucker as a spacing big. It most certainly was not Terrence Ross or Kenneth Faried who destroyed us. Capela rolling to the rim and their 3 point shooting is what destroyed us. At least we have guys who can do the same now.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#25 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:27 pm

Jae Crowder is listed at 6’6” 235-240. Joe Ingles is listed at 6’8” 225-230.

Why are we pretending we just lost a bully PF and Joe can’t replicate what Jae did, but better? And we didn’t post Favs up and play like he was Malone. We used him in a PnR. Ingles can PnR just fine. Bojan can run the PnR. Ed Davis can set a pick.

I love Favs and will miss him. And I think I was the biggest homer calling for Jae for years prior to him coming. But we just got a lot better at everything besides maybe rebounding. And Ed Davis is a good rebounder. So we’ll see on that front.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#26 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:30 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
Luigi wrote:I don't yet buy the versatility claim. O'neale is a 2/3 more than a 3/4. He's not guarding 4s on the regular. Bogdanovic is a 3. He's not guarding anybody, but he'll follow around the opposing small forward most nights, and be a switch problem for us. Ingles is the most natural 3 around, but he'll probably have to cover 4s more than Bogdanovic will. (I know bb ref thinks Ingles plays a lot of 4, but that's because they list him at the 4 when Crowder was playing on the floor with him, clearly a mistake). Yeah, I already went through the list much earlier with babyjax. For reference, Bogdanovic is 70th of 93 small forwards in real defensive plus minus. Niang is 87th. Ingles is 14th. Niang and Bogdanovic have been on elite strong defensive squads with DPOY level anchors, too.

stitches wrote:According to Locke - no.

We just got wrecked by the Rockets two years in a row who most certainly were not employing a traditional big PF who bullied the Jazz in the paint. They destroyed us by playing people like PJ Tucker as a spacing big. It most certainly was not Terrence Ross or Kenneth Faried who destroyed us. Capela rolling to the rim and their 3 point shooting is what destroyed us. At least we have guys who can do the same now.

The Rockets were a rare thing, and a particular matchup problem to the Jazz. I think we lost because we were a worse team (everyone was except for the Durant Warriors), not because we didn't match up well (though that was part of it).

But, no, we can't do the same thing the Rockets did. Bogdanovic will look like Harden on defense (maybe worse). But Ingles doesn't have the frame to do what Tucker does.

We're going to have to beat multiple teams in the playoffs to make a deep run. The matchups won't all look like Houston. And I think we'll get tired of watching teams score on Bogdanovic with whoever they want on the wing, and on Ingles if they wanna go big. James, Millsap, Green, Aldridge, Zion, Horford, Giannis, Sabonis, those guys are gonna beat Joe up pretty bad.

Daddy 801 wrote:Jae Crowder is listed at 6’6” 235-240. Joe Ingles is listed at 6’8” 225-230.

Why are we pretending we just lost a bully PF and Joe can’t replicate what Jae did, but better? And we didn’t post Favs up and play like he was Malone. We used him in a PnR. Ingles can PnR just fine. Bojan can run the PnR. Ed Davis can set a pick.

I love Favs and will miss him. And I think I was the biggest homer calling for Jae for years prior to him coming. But we just got a lot better at everything besides maybe rebounding. And Ed Davis is a good rebounder. So we’ll see on that front.

Jae is a lot more stout than Joe. And a lot stronger. This is the problem. Tucker, Crowder, Millsap, these guys are bruisers that like contact. Joe isn't. I love him, but he's not that kind of player. But we're going to ask him to be. And besides putting Joe in a position to fail, we're looking at opening up a Carmello sized hole in the defense with Bogdanovic. No more switching defense with him, I'm afraid. Harden, Leonard, James, even Lillard and McCollum will be switch hunting Bojan all night. Giannis will be a god, no switch needed. Simmons and Sabonis will be trouble, no switch needed.

We're gonna have to try to beat teams by out shooting them. But I just don't trust that in the playoffs when you don't have an MVP candidate on offense to go to.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#27 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:46 pm

Luigi wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
Luigi wrote:I don't yet buy the versatility claim. O'neale is a 2/3 more than a 3/4. He's not guarding 4s on the regular. Bogdanovic is a 3. He's not guarding anybody, but he'll follow around the opposing small forward most nights, and be a switch problem for us. Ingles is the most natural 3 around, but he'll probably have to cover 4s more than Bogdanovic will. (I know bb ref thinks Ingles plays a lot of 4, but that's because they list him at the 4 when Crowder was playing on the floor with him, clearly a mistake). Yeah, I already went through the list much earlier with babyjax. For reference, Bogdanovic is 70th of 93 small forwards in real defensive plus minus. Niang is 87th. Ingles is 14th. Niang and Bogdanovic have been on elite strong defensive squads with DPOY level anchors, too.

The Rockets were a rare thing, and a particular matchup problem to the Jazz. I think we lost because we were a worse team (everyone was except for the Durant Warriors), not because we didn't match up well (though that was part of it).

But, no, we can't do the same thing the Rockets did. Bogdanovic will look like Harden on defense (maybe worse). But Ingles doesn't have the frame to do what Tucker does.

We're going to have to beat multiple teams in the playoffs to make a deep run. The matchups won't all look like Houston. And I think we'll get tired of watching teams score on Bogdanovic with whoever they want on the wing, and on Ingles if they wanna go big. James, Millsap, Green, Aldridge, Zion, Horford, Giannis, Sabonis, those guys are gonna beat Joe up pretty bad.

Daddy 801 wrote:Jae Crowder is listed at 6’6” 235-240. Joe Ingles is listed at 6’8” 225-230.

Jae is a lot more stout than Joe. And a lot stronger. This is the problem. Tucker, Crowder, Millsap, these guys are bruisers that like contact. Joe isn't. I love him, but he's not that kind of player. But we're going to ask him to be. And besides putting Joe in a position to fail, we're looking at opening up a Carmello sized hole in the defense with Bogdanovic. No more switching defense with him, I'm afraid. Harden, Leonard, James, even Lillard will be switch hunting Bojan all night. We're gonna have to try to beat teams by out shooting them. But I don't trust that in the playoffs.

I find your lack of faith in Ingles upsetting.

But for real, what was the other option? Bring it back again? What bruiser PF was out there that can shoot 40%+ from the corner? We got the single best option for a spacing wing/PF that was available. Mirotic left the NBA and Tobias didn’t move from Philly. Who is better that was a realistic target?

I’m glad the Jazz are going to go out there and force teams to adjust to us. We’re gonna play a style of small ball (really smart ball) that is going to require teams to have to adjust. Ingles isn’t going to be the only guy we put on PF’s. We switch on defense anyways so it will be defense by the group. Just like it’s been for years. And I’d be willing to bet 1000 bucks the Jazz still play a switching style of defense. You’re crazy if you think Quin is changing the defense based on acquiring Bojan.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,464

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:51 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:I find your lack of faith in Ingles upsetting.

But for real, what was the other option? Bring it back again? What bruiser PF was out there that can shoot 40%+ from the corner? We got the single best option for a spacing wing/PF that was available. Mirotic left the NBA and Tobias didn’t move from Philly. Who is better that was a realistic target?

Portis was a better option, imho. He's only 24, Bojan is almot 30. I'd rather have Portis for 4 years than Bojan. Portis is bigger, more athletic, better defender and a much better rebounder. Bojan is the better shooter but Portis can shoot and can play PF more effectively. He's even paid less than Bojan, as we found out when free agency started.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#29 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:57 pm

I’m glad the Jazz are going to go out there and force teams to adjust to us. We’re gonna play a style of small ball (really smart ball) that is going to require teams to have to adjust. Ingles isn’t going to be the only guy we put on PF’s. We switch on defense anyways so it will be defense by the group. Just like it’s been for years. And I’d be willing to bet 1000 bucks the Jazz still play a switching style of defense. You’re crazy if you think Quin is changing the defense based on acquiring Bojan.

The other option was simple: keep Favors instead of sign Bogdanovic. With Conley's major upgrade over Rubio's jumper, and major upgrade over Rubio's pick and roll, Favors was gonna be fine for 8 minutes a night at the 4. All we had to do was move Exum into cap space and grab one of the many guys available to play 4 for us.

Taj Gibson went for 2/20
DeMarre Carrol went for 2/13
Trevor Ariza went for 2/25
Thad Young went for 3/41
Rudy Gay went for 2/32
Dewayne Dedmon went for 3/40
Jonad Valnciunas went for 3/35
Dwight Powell went for 3/33
Mike Scott went for 2/9.8
Thomas Bryant went for 3/25
Al-Farouq Aminu went for 3/29
Bobby Portis went for 2/31

I worry that we'll be pretenders this year. Fans will love Bogdanovic for hitting some 3s. But playoff teams are gonna eat up Bogdanovic, and force our formerly elite defense out of it's element. Bojan will continue to score for us, and we'll love him for it. But you just don't outscore real contenders by relying on our level of offensive firepower--we just don't have what Harden, Durant, Curry, Leonard bring. I liked our chances with the old grindhouse angle better.

But I hope it works. Should be a fun regular season regardless.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#30 » by dr0welf » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:03 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:Utah is quietly having one of the best offseasons in the NBA.

Almost makes up for not being able to wait 3 years to see if a #23 draft pick might work out.

And surprisingly we still have people complaining... hahaha
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#31 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:04 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Portis was a better option, imho. He's only 24, Bojan is almot 30. I'd rather have Portis for 4 years than Bojan. Portis is bigger, more athletic, better defender and a much better rebounder. Bojan is the better shooter but Portis can shoot and can play PF more effectively. He's even paid less than Bojan, as we found out when free agency started.

Time will tell. That could be the case.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#32 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:12 pm

I’m of the opinion our offense with both Conley and Bojan can increase 6 points a game. That makes us elite. Too 5 offense. If we can even stay in the top 10 on defense we aren’t pretenders but contenders.

Maybe the defense will dip more and we’ll be average. I doubt it. Conley, Donovan, Royce, Ingles, and Exum are all damn good defenders. Bojan is the one person in the rotation who isn’t good. Rudy will set the tone and Bojan will surprise people. It will be expected he exerts more on defense and has less to worry about on offense. I like our odds. And I like our ability to score.

We had a problem with the team. And by my accounts Lindzanity did about as good of a job to fix the issue as realistically could have been expected.

I’m happy as can be for this upcoming season.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#33 » by Luigi » Mon Jul 1, 2019 1:31 pm

dr0welf wrote:

Almost makes up for not being able to wait 3 years to see if a #23 draft pick might work out.

I loved the Conley addition. I didn't understand the outcry and wailing after that one.

But I really do think we're going to regret the Bogdanovic addition, because of what it means for the defense in the playoffs. But I'll try to take a wait-and-see attitude.
Kineto
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#34 » by Kineto » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:23 pm

Luigi wrote:But I really do think we're going to regret the Bogdanovic addition, because of what it means for the defense in the playoffs. But I'll try to take a wait-and-see attitude.

Indiana was the 1st team in opponent points per game last year. If Bojan is such a liability in defense, there must be some solution to hide him (especially with the 2 time DPOY in your team ;-) )
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#35 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:27 pm

I'm not worried about our man to man defense against big as much as I'm worried about our rebounding. As long as we can secure the boards, we'll be fine. Most of the other guys you could guard with FVV and it wouldn't matter because they are not using their size on offense. I don't think being smaller at the 4 is a big disadvantage because almost nobody plays their offense that way.

The one guy we should actually be worried about bully ball with...we've got the guy who's guarded him more than anyone else in the league. I'm not saying that Bogey is a perfect matchup for Bron, but it's not like he's a traffic cone ready to get tipped over. The difference between Bogey guarding the post and Crowder is very minimal.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#36 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:39 pm

KqWIN wrote:I'm not worried about our man to man defense against big as much as I'm worried about our rebounding. As long as we can secure the boards, we'll be fine. Most of the other guys you could guard with FVV and it wouldn't matter because they are not using their size on offense. I don't think being smaller at the 4 is a big disadvantage because almost nobody plays their offense that way.

The one guy we should actually be worried about bully ball with...we've got the guy who's guarded him more than anyone else in the league. I'm not saying that Bogey is a perfect matchup for Bron, but it's not like he's a traffic cone ready to get tipped over. The difference between Bogey guarding the post and Crowder is very minimal.

Our man Ed Davis gets like 7-8 rebounds in 17 minutes a night. Seems like the Jazz shared your concern.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#37 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:41 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I'm not worried about our man to man defense against big as much as I'm worried about our rebounding. As long as we can secure the boards, we'll be fine. Most of the other guys you could guard with FVV and it wouldn't matter because they are not using their size on offense. I don't think being smaller at the 4 is a big disadvantage because almost nobody plays their offense that way.

Our man Ed Davis gets like 7-8 rebounds in 17 minutes a night. Seems like the Jazz shared your concern.

Yeah...but I'm worried about our starting/closing lineup. Conley, Mitchell, Ingles, and Bogey are all fine a defending their man. None of them rebound.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#38 » by sipclip » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:56 pm

dr0welf wrote:

We could have had one of the best offseasons without the Conley trade as well. We could have beat what the pacers traded for Brogdon who is a great fit with our team. Then we could have added a big like Portis. Two guys in their mid 20's that fit perfectly with Mitchell and Gobert. We will see how everything shakes out but as of now I think we are probably the 4th seed at best behind the Nugs, blazers and lakers. Come end of the season you can add the warriors to that list with Thompson coming back and the addition of Russell.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#39 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:35 pm

If Boogie can funnel his players the right direction he'll be fine, don't need to take everything away just couple things and feeding him into Rudy will make Boogie look better on the D. D is really about Team and not just about one on one. Did the jazz get better? Only time will tell but we all knew changes were needed and our window is the next couple years. I believe that's why the jazz went a little older with Con and Boogie in stead of others that were younger. Over all I believe Spider and Rudy are excited about the new guys and new chance to go deeper. Might help motivate them to take there games higher with new guys in town. We'll know if changes are needed couple months into the season.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#40 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:41 pm

Stupid detail no one cares about, Ed Davis is left handed. Not a good match with Ingles in the second unit PnR.

Return to Utah Jazz