ImageImageImage

Welcome Al Horford(?!?)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Re: Welcome Al Horford(?!?) 

Post#61 » by youngcrev » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:57 pm

Winejk wrote:If Horford is ok with it (he's a team player), I could actually see Scott or Bolden (if he improves) starting at PF. Horford can come off the bench. Kind of like Ivaroni and Bobby Jones back in the day. Simmons, Richardson, Harris and Embiid has enough offense as it is. The fifth starter can just defend and space.

Horford off the bench is intriguing, but I'd want another wing defender on the floor to slide Harris back to the 4.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#62 » by VDT » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:01 pm

The thing is that players at his age can fall off a cliff at any time. He is already a more limited player especially in the regular season.

People mention Duncan, but Duncan was a top 10 player and falling off a cliff meant that he was still a starting caliber player.

I fear that the Horford people will see in the coming years will be significantly different than what they have seen the last years. Especially if he is to play the 4 which is more demanding in terms of mobility.

I also dont think he is a good fit with Embiid offensively especially with Simmons in the team.

He is a career 37% shooter from 3 which is pretty good for a center but much more pedestrian for a PF nowadays.
His release is also slow, which might be ok when playing the 5 and trying to pull the opposing center out of the paint but not so useful when trying to space the floor for Embiid. His defender will be able to drop closer to the paint to pester Embiid and still contest the 3.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#63 » by ivysixer2000 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:05 pm

I just wonder if Kevin McHale will still call him 'Big Al' on national telecasts and brag all night about how good 'Big Al' is....since he isn't a Celtic anymore.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#64 » by youngcrev » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:07 pm

Wonder if the Timberwolves getting Napier has any bearing on their plans for Tyus Jones.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#65 » by nurseryc » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:22 pm

Al Horford is a perfect fit with Ben Simmons. Almost ideal even.

I am so happy we made this acquisition. Butler as good as he is was a terrible fit with Simmons for the future.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,685

Post#66 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:40 am

I really like this. Horford has a lot of Tim Duncan like qualities.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using RealGM mobile app
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#67 » by hookshot199 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:08 am

AirP. wrote:
DaSixers wrote:
AirP. wrote:25 million for age 34, 35, 36, 37. If you want to believe he's playing PF all that time go ahead, I don't think so and paying ~25 million for mostly a backup isn't a good value.

Wrong.. he just turned 33... so 33, 34, 35, 36 will be his ages.

Also he will be playing center anytime embiid isnt. I bet half or more than half his min will be at center

Ok, off a year(thanks for correcting that), 33, 34, 35, 36, not a whole lot better, but better. 25 million for a backup center who will start and play a few minutes at PF, still not a good use of money even if he's a solid/good player.

Obviously you don't watch him play very much. I do. He makes everybody better. He can be bullied
against bigger, more athletic, younger centers. But he is also incredible as a team defensive player.
His court awareness is among the elite. And on offense, he floats around the three-point line (Brown
should love him and so should Ben) and then, at least in Boston, delivers daggers.

I am not concerned about a falloff in his performance unless he gets injured. But if he remains relatively
free from injury - his minutes should be managed too - he will be an asset.
Jams60
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#68 » by Jams60 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:01 am

Welcome Big Al! I apologise for all those negative thoughts I had about you over the last few years. Please understand that these were not directly targeted towards you, but more the uniform you wore.
From visiting the ‘others’ thread they are heartbroken that you left which makes me feel confident and surprisingly happy.
Good luck, good health and good play.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#69 » by phillynative » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:54 am

I'm wondering will he be in the corner while Embiid is in the post? He is also a Pick & pop option
Moses_M83
Ballboy
And1: 64

Post#70 » by Moses_M83 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:57 am

phillynative wrote:I'm wondering will he be in the corner while Embiid is in the post? He is also a Pick & pop option

Guessing he going to shoot more 3-pointers than he ever has, and he's very good at it!
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#71 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:16 pm

Winejk wrote:If Horford is ok with it (he's a team player), I could actually see Scott or Bolden (if he improves) starting at PF. Horford can come off the bench. Kind of like Ivaroni and Bobby Jones back in the day. Simmons, Richardson, Harris and Embiid has enough offense as it is. The fifth starter can just defend and space.

I wouldn't be against this, that way when Embiid or Horford are taking games off the rotation doesn't change too much.

I would be more inclined to start Zhaire or Thybulle (if they're ready) or Ennis or some other guard that isn't on the team yet though.

You don't even have to go all the way back to Iavaroni, Brown can point to how Manu's career was extended by playing limited minutes off the bench.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#72 » by Kolkmania » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:26 pm

Let's not act as if Horford never played the PF position before. We've got a big sample of how he functions with a big center in the last two years.

Horford can swing the ball from the top of the key, pick and pop above the break and occasionally function as a playmaker in the post with Embiid stretching the floor. It's obviously not ideal, but it can work for 15 minutes per game.

A far bigger issue is that Simmons is on the court as well in crunch time, which means we have no legitimate P&R ball handler. If Richardson or Harris initiates than we'll have big spacing issues with Embiid, Horford AND Simmons off the ball.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#73 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:44 pm

I've always admired Horford's game. Feels wreckless to say, but to me he's the closest facsimile to Duncan in the league. Not saying he's Timmy-- but he's a fundamental savant who plays both ends with intelligence and never get rattled.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
PhillyFan11
Rookie
And1: 443

Post#74 » by PhillyFan11 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:09 pm

So if I’m reading everything correctly Horford may only have about $13M guaranteed his 4th year??

28X3=84 leaving only 13 in guarantees

If true this would make the deal MUCH more palatable.

And on a side note, it’s amazing how complicated nba salary cap/contracts are. You need a masters degree in capology to follow all of it
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#75 » by kuclas » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:20 pm

VDT wrote:The thing is that players at his age can fall off a cliff at any time. He is already a more limited player especially in the regular season.

People mention Duncan, but Duncan was a top 10 player and falling off a cliff meant that he was still a starting caliber player.

I fear that the Horford people will see in the coming years will be significantly different than what they have seen the last years. Especially if he is to play the 4 which is more demanding in terms of mobility.

I also dont think he is a good fit with Embiid offensively especially with Simmons in the team.

He is a career 37% shooter from 3 which is pretty good for a center but much more pedestrian for a PF nowadays.
His release is also slow, which might be ok when playing the 5 and trying to pull the opposing center out of the paint but not so useful when trying to space the floor for Embiid. His defender will be able to drop closer to the paint to pester Embiid and still contest the 3.

Horford is gonna to be wide open all day with embiid one the paint. Almost no one can guard embiid one on one. Even Horford and Marc gasol get a lot of cheat help defense. U can see it in the tape all the time with the cheat help. Or he will have a smaller guard switching out to try to close him out. Than he can pump fake. Either drive and draw attention. Open up more space. And than if sixers can move the ball around. Some else will be even more open.

If he can maintain even 34% 3 point shooting. We are good.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#76 » by kuclas » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:24 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:So if I’m reading everything correctly Horford may only have about $13M guaranteed his 4th year??

And on a side note, it’s amazing how complicated nba salary cap/contracts are. You need a masters degree in capology to follow all of it

I heard Boston was offering 4/90 but the 4th year was not guarantee.

So maybe Boston was guaranteeing much less? 77-80 million? Sixers with more guaranteed money plus embiid sharing the load with Horford. Something had to convince Horford to go to arch rival sixers.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#77 » by mithrandir17 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:25 pm

phillynative wrote:I'm wondering will he be in the corner while Embiid is in the post? He is also a Pick & pop option

I think horford is more of a top center shooter than corners.
deep6er
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#78 » by deep6er » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:54 pm

PhillyFan11 wrote:So if I’m reading everything correctly Horford may only have about $13M guaranteed his 4th year??

I think this is what Bodner was saying on SIxer's Beat, with the last 15 mil getting guaranteed if we win a championship. The exact terms of the incentives have not been disclosed though so this is mostly rumor, I think.

I really like the signing and think it works for us at least this year and next. We are going to be defensive monsters. The offense might look really frustrating at points though, especially in the playoffs.
DaSixers
Pro Prospect
And1: 227

Post#79 » by DaSixers » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:58 pm

my god check out al horford's advanced stats.... dude truly affects the game way more than box score indicates
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#80 » by Foshan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:09 pm

I think my biggest struggle with him joining the team is just how negative i felt about him as a celtic. So, as soon as i totally get over thsoe feelings, i'll be happy he's here. :)

Return to Philadelphia 76ers