ImageImageImage

Welcome Josh Richardson

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Re: Welcome Josh Richardson 

Post#21 » by USWAY » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:32 am

76ciology wrote:The pairings I project next season.

Josh Richardson-Embiid + 2nd unit

Horford-Tobias-Ben+2nd unit

2nd unit:
Mike Scott (great fit with Horford or Biid)
Zhaire
Thybulle

We really need a creator who can shoot at guard with this last cap space
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#22 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:40 am

USWAY wrote:
76ciology wrote:The pairings I project next season.

Josh Richardson-Embiid + 2nd unit

Horford-Tobias-Ben+2nd unit

2nd unit:
Mike Scott (great fit with Horford or Biid)
Zhaire
Thybulle

We really need a creator who can shoot at guard with this last cap space

The way I see it..

Josh Richardson secondary PnR player with Tobi as primary PnR player.

We run Sixers offense with starter.

Jrich and Biid plays the two man game we see Biid plays with either JJ or Butler. Then Tobias runs PnR with Horford with the 2nd unit.

In crunch time, our options are Biid, Tobias and Jrich. In that order. Ben and Horford as glue guys to make it work.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#23 » by dorkestra » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:51 am

Hate to see Butler go, but Josh Richardson on a bargian contract is a nice consolation prize. Welcome aboard Josh - I am open to being a big fan of yours.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,994

Post#24 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:16 pm

Nice, with Richardson we are increasing our defense, Redick was a liability, seems like our philosophy is caring about defense a lot, going against modahn people who say it is all about offense.
Horrible takes since 2016
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#25 » by Winejk » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:05 pm

I think people are underestimating Richardson. He'll be the third banana here. He was 1 or 2 in Miami. He's got room to improve. He is much more of a threat with his dribble than RoCo ever was. Lots of versatility on both sides of the ball. Hope I'm not overestimating him, but I think he's going to flourish in Philly.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#26 » by LloydFree » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:11 pm

One of the best things about having Josh Richardson, Horford and Tobias Harris as perimeter options, is that it may finally force Embiid into the post.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 825

Post#27 » by Ferry Avenue » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:12 pm

One thing people seem to be neglecting to consider on this board is that one of the reasons the Sixers had a chance against Toronto in the playoffs this year was because JJ Redick had the comparatively easy assignment of Danny Green. Had the Sixers been matched up against a team with a typical shooting/penetrating two, Redick would've been exploited aplenty, and the series may have played out much differently.

Richardson fixes that problem instantly.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,458

Post#28 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:27 pm

76ciology wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
76ciology wrote:Rich man’s James Ennis

Weird hill to die on since James Ennis has never come even close to approaching Richardson's numbers that he had last year.

Im keeping my expectations as low and realistic as possible

Don't get all mad, but it sounds to me like you haven't seen all that much of Josh Richardson. I mean....He does play in Miami so I can understand you making that comparison based off of not watching a lot of Heat games and just his body type/movement, but Richardson is a far superior player to Ennis. Being an East TN resident, I have gotten to watch JRich since his freshman season at UT. I'm a big Vols fan for their basketball program so this is exciting having both Harris and Richardson on my favorite NBA team. Not quite sure who I would compare him to that is currently in the league, but it's definitely not a wealthy version of James Ennis.
XDevilBoiX
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#29 » by XDevilBoiX » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:49 pm

LloydFree wrote:One of the best things about having Josh Richardson, Horford and Tobias Harris as perimeter options, is that it may finally force Embiid into the post.

Not so sure about that, Brett has Simmons camping there
Enso
Head Coach
And1: 23,490

Post#30 » by Enso » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:05 pm

Enjoy Richardson guys I think it’s a great fit !
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#31 » by BigSleep333 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:06 pm

LloydFree wrote:One of the best things about having Josh Richardson, Horford and Tobias Harris as perimeter options, is that it may finally force Embiid into the post.

why exactly do you think that? we replaced redick + butler with j-rich+horford. thats not even better spacing...

the main problem with jojo camping on the 3pt line remains ben, and it wont change soon.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#32 » by LloydFree » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:29 pm

BigSleep333 wrote:

why exactly do you think that? we replaced redick + butler with j-rich+horford. thats not even better spacing...

the main problem with jojo camping on the 3pt line remains ben, and it wont change soon.

Because Butler wouldn't/can't stretch the floor. He won't shoot the ball, so it forces others to do the spacing. Horford, Richardson and Tobias are all catch and shoot players.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#33 » by BigSleep333 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:33 pm

LloydFree wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:

Because Butler wouldn't/can't stretch the floor. He won't shoot the ball, so it forces others to do the spacing. Horford, Richardson and Tobias are all catch and shoot players.

horford took 0.3 more threes a game...

tobias was already here last year and redick is by far the best shooter in that little group. spacing got not better. unless ben magically can hit some 3s next season (i hiiiiighly doubt it), jojo will still shoot a lot of 3s
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#34 » by SixthStreet » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:59 pm

Watching some Richardson highlights I’m concerned that his 3PAs are a floor spacing mirage. He doesn’t seem to command much defensive gravity. He takes the 3s in volume, which is good, but teams seem willing to let him take them. In this specific part of his game he seems to do what Saric did. Saric despite his willingness to shoot 3s wasn’t exactly a floor spacer.

I don’t think he’s got the gravity as a 3 pt shooter as Covington. He can do a lot more things but maybe not good enough to have playoff impact.

He needs to improve significantly to help in his role for the playoffs. His year to year improvement does give hope for it.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,750

Post#35 » by Wiltside » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:26 am

Really like the fit for Josh in Philly. He's a quality defender, plays hard, and hits the open trey. Was asked to do too much here, but in Philly he'll settle into a strong role for you. Great contract too, and only now entering his prime.

He's an upgrade on RoCo, who was a nice fit previously. I think you'll grow to love him.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#36 » by PhilasFinest » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:29 am

SixthStreet wrote:Watching some Richardson highlights I’m concerned that his 3PAs are a floor spacing mirage. He doesn’t seem to command much defensive gravity. He takes the 3s in volume, which is good, but teams seem willing to let him take them. In this specific part of his game he seems to do what Saric did. Saric despite his willingness to shoot 3s wasn’t exactly a floor spacer.

I don’t think he’s got the gravity as a 3 pt shooter as Covington. He can do a lot more things but maybe not good enough to have playoff impact.

He needs to improve significantly to help in his role for the playoffs. His year to year improvement does give hope for it.

He took over 6 3’s a game at 36%....how is that not Covington like?
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#37 » by Kolkmania » Tue Jul 2, 2019 7:17 am

Such a fantastic get. He's really, really good and a fantastic fit for this team. We desperately need his defensive ability to navigate through screens and force deflections in half court. Offensively he has a quick trigger from the perimeter and his P&R skills, make him a good fallback option if the offense stalls.
SavageBel
Starter
And1: 269

Post#38 » by SavageBel » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:08 am

Sad to see Jimmy go, but this is a very good consolation. I think he'll be a great fit for us. And he's on a great contract.

(Also, hello all! It's been quite a while).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#39 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:27 am

Wiltside wrote:Really like the fit for Josh in Philly. He's a quality defender, plays hard, and hits the open trey. Was asked to do too much here, but in Philly he'll settle into a strong role for you. Great contract too, and only now entering his prime.

He's an upgrade on RoCo, who was a nice fit previously. I think you'll grow to love him.

How is he as a PnR playmaker and in ISO? He looks to have decent handles and very good range.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,750

Post#40 » by Wiltside » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:53 am

76ciology wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Really like the fit for Josh in Philly. He's a quality defender, plays hard, and hits the open trey. Was asked to do too much here, but in Philly he'll settle into a strong role for you. Great contract too, and only now entering his prime.

How is he as a PnR playmaker and in ISO? He looks to have decent handles and very good range.

Struggles to create separation in ISO, which was his main issues here in Miami. We really needed a shot creator, late clock producer and high quality scorer. Rich ain’t that guy, as you can see by his efficiency drop this season. Played his best when spotting up, or when taking a one, two dribble pull up. Can finish inside, but likes the midrange or floater. Does shoot FT at a nice clip.

He played PG in college at times, so has a reasonable handle on PnR play but I wouldn’t say it’s a major strength. He generally makes the right reads though.

Defensively he’s a real pest. With bigger profile he would’ve been a shout for an All Defense team. Wiry and long, he’s good at a chase down block once a guy gets past him. Should average close to a block per game. Perimeter defense is a strength of his, and he or Winslow would always take the primary perimeter threat.

Capable distance shooter with his feet set. He’s gonna get a ton of great looks working off of Simmons and Embiid, so I don’t think his shot creating deficiencies will be as pronounced in Philly.

Excited to see him play in a more up tempo offense than ours. He has got athleticism, but we haven’t seen as many highlight dunks since his rookie year. Does have some bounce though.

All in all, like I said, he’s great value at $10m for the next 3yrs when you’ve spent big in other areas. He’s the right age profile at 25/26 that fits your core, and has gotten better every year.

I see him as a rich mans Covington/Ariza, which are very important players for a contender.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com

Return to Philadelphia 76ers