Welcome Josh Richardson

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

papajoe
Junior
And1: 360

Re: Welcome Josh Richardson 

Post#41 » by papajoe » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:56 am

BigSleep333 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:One of the best things about having Josh Richardson, Horford and Tobias Harris as perimeter options, is that it may finally force Embiid into the post.

why exactly do you think that? we replaced redick + butler with j-rich+horford. thats not even better spacing...

the main problem with jojo camping on the 3pt line remains ben, and it wont change soon.

Butler is a mediocre 3 point shooter. Worst of the lot cant believe you mentioned him.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,340

Post#42 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:39 am

Josh richardson
Shot below 40% on 2s and below 30% on 3s, post allstar.
Shot below 40% FG% against Milwaukee in 4 games
Shot below 40% FG% against Raptors in 3 games
Was leading scorer for the Heat last season
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#43 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:42 am

Wiltside wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Really like the fit for Josh in Philly. He's a quality defender, plays hard, and hits the open trey. Was asked to do too much here, but in Philly he'll settle into a strong role for you. Great contract too, and only now entering his prime.

He's an upgrade on RoCo, who was a nice fit previously. I think you'll grow to love him.

How is he as a PnR playmaker and in ISO? He looks to have decent handles and very good range.

Struggles to create separation in ISO, which was his main issues here in Miami. We really needed a shot creator, late clock producer and high quality scorer. Rich ain’t that guy, as you can see by his efficiency drop this season. Played his best when spotting up, or when taking a one, two dribble pull up. Can finish inside, but likes the midrange or floater. Does shoot FT at a nice clip.

He played PG in college at times, so has a reasonable handle on PnR play but I wouldn’t say it’s a major strength. He generally makes the right reads though.

Defensively he’s a real pest. With bigger profile he would’ve been a shout for an All Defense team. Wiry and long, he’s good at a chase down block once a guy gets past him. Should average close to a block per game. Perimeter defense is a strength of his, and he or Winslow would always take the primary perimeter threat.

Capable distance shooter with his feet set. He’s gonna get a ton of great looks working off of Simmons and Embiid, so I don’t think his shot creating deficiencies will be as pronounced in Philly.

Excited to see him play in a more up tempo offense than ours. He has got athleticism, but we haven’t seen as many highlight dunks since his rookie year. Does have some bounce though.

All in all, like I said, he’s great value at $10m for the next 3yrs when you’ve spent big in other areas. He’s the right age profile at 25/26 that fits your core, and has gotten better every year.

I see him as a rich mans Covington/Ariza, which are very important players for a contender.

Sorry if I go into detail.

What was the difference between his games back in November and last March. Big discrepancy in ppg from 21ppg in Nov with good %s to 13ppg with horrible percentages in march. Was it fatigue? Role change?

I really like the idea of him to develop his 2 man game with Embiid. Kind of how Jimmy or JJ did it. Defense cant switch so he can always pass to the open man, take the shot or drive to the lane.

He looks to have decent ball handling skills, IQ, length and is a very good shooter. Those are solid fundamentals to be more than a 2 way role playing guard which i hope he can be.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,298

Post#44 » by Wiltside » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:11 am

76ciology wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Sorry if I go into detail.

What was the difference between his games back in November and last March. Big discrepancy in ppg from 21ppg in Nov with good %s to 13ppg with horrible percentages in march. Was it fatigue? Role change?

I really like the idea of him to develop his 2 man game with Embiid. Kind of how Jimmy or JJ did it. Defense cant switch so he can always pass to the open man, take the shot or drive to the lane.

He looks to have decent ball handling skills, IQ, length and is a very good shooter. Those are solid fundamentals to be more than a 2 way role playing guard which i hope he can be.

Number differential is mainly due to role change. In the early part of the season he was being showcased, as he was ironically part of the Jimmy Butler discussions with Minnesota.

I think his numbers dipped as teams scouted him heavier and made his life tougher defensively. Part of it was role change as we catered for Wade’s farewell tour, Winslow’s progression and Waiters return. Fatigue may have played a part, as it was his first year with that much burden on his shoulders.

I’ve watched just about every game of his career to date. He can play. I just don’t think he has another level above where he is now in him. That doesn’t mean he isn’t super valuable as is, particularly on a team like Philly with 3 x established stars. He’s a terrific 4th option, something like a prime, Portland version pre-Achilles Wes Matthews - with a little more shot creation and ball handling ability.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
nycphils
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#45 » by nycphils » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:12 am

I’m not much of a basketball strategy expert, so curious on more educated opinions...isn’t the Harris/Horford pick and roll/pick and pop likely to be a go to 4th quarter way to get a bucket? Not a ton of PF/SF combos are going to be able to deal with their size and mobility and shooting when we need a basket, or am I wrong?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#46 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:27 am

nycphils wrote:I’m not much of a basketball strategy expert, so curious on more educated opinions...isn’t the Harris/Horford pick and roll/pick and pop likely to be a go to 4th quarter way to get a bucket? Not a ton of PF/SF combos are going to be able to deal with their size and mobility and shooting when we need a basket, or am I wrong?

Actually if you factor in the switching defense the pairing for the 2man game is Josh Rich-Horford and Tobi-Embiid.

Problem with Tobi-Horford 2man game is defense will switch to neutralize. Defense can’t switch with Biid. Then Horford can abuse any guard that is defending Josh Richardson.

Another one is the Josh Rich-Ben. Then you have Ben abusing the guard that is defending Josh Rich with 4 floor spacers and Ben’s courtvision and passing ability.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#47 » by phillynative » Tue Jul 2, 2019 10:30 am

Josh Richardson is entering his prime he is a 3&D guys that can put the ball on the floor. He is not a go-2-guy and will need to improve his 3 pt. shot
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#48 » by LloydFree » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:44 pm

papajoe wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:One of the best things about having Josh Richardson, Horford and Tobias Harris as perimeter options, is that it may finally force Embiid into the post.

why exactly do you think that? we replaced redick + butler with j-rich+horford. thats not even better spacing...

the main problem with jojo camping on the 3pt line remains ben, and it wont change soon.

Butler is a mediocre 3 point shooter. Worst of the lot cant believe you mentioned him.

It's not even that he's a mediocre 3pt shooter (which he is). It's that he will not attempt a catch-and-shoot 3. You can't have your SG/SF out there attempting three 3's per game and zero 3's off the catch-and-shoot. He wants to dribble the ball and take on the defense 1 on 5.

Horford, Harris and Richardson's willingness to catch-and-shoot, enhances Simmons and Embiid, which is the most important thing.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#49 » by LloydFree » Tue Jul 2, 2019 12:51 pm

nycphils wrote:I’m not much of a basketball strategy expert, so curious on more educated opinions...isn’t the Harris/Horford pick and roll/pick and pop likely to be a go to 4th quarter way to get a bucket? Not a ton of PF/SF combos are going to be able to deal with their size and mobility and shooting when we need a basket, or am I wrong?

Both Horford and Harris are two of the best pick-n-roll, pick-n-pop players in the NBA.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#50 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:20 pm

Wiltside wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Wiltside wrote:

Number differential is mainly due to role change. In the early part of the season he was being showcased, as he was ironically part of the Jimmy Butler discussions with Minnesota.

I think his numbers dipped as teams scouted him heavier and made his life tougher defensively. Part of it was role change as we catered for Wade’s farewell tour, Winslow’s progression and Waiters return. Fatigue may have played a part, as it was his first year with that much burden on his shoulders.

I’ve watched just about every game of his career to date. He can play. I just don’t think he has another level above where he is now in him. That doesn’t mean he isn’t super valuable as is, particularly on a team like Philly with 3 x established stars. He’s a terrific 4th option, something like a prime, Portland version pre-Achilles Wes Matthews - with a little more shot creation and ball handling ability.

Having not watched him closely, I am curious on your opinion of him guarding PGs, which will probably be the most important job he would have as member of our starting lineup. We talk about offense all we want, but if he can't guard the opposition's PG then are are in the same spot we were in before he got here.

Did the Heat ever match him up on elite PGs, how did he look? Was it just on switches? Can he use his length against them and are his feet quick enough to keep up with a guy like Kemba?

This is wayyyy more important than anything else, if JRich can't guard point guards he should be replaced (if BB is smart) by Zhaire if Zhaire is playing well. We can't go through another season of every PG in the league lighting us up, so does he have the ability to at least stay in front of them?
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#51 » by Wiltside » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:24 pm

Rich and Winslow would take turns on the primary perimeter threat. Richardson mostly on PGs, and he would predominantly hold his own on that end.

I think he’ll be fine in Phillys system guarding predominantly PGs. He won’t have to exert as much effort offensively here as he did in Miami, which should free him up to be a pest defensively.
Benfitnyc
Junior
And1: 119

Post#52 » by Benfitnyc » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:25 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
76ciology wrote:

Having not watched him closely, I am curious on your opinion of him guarding PGs, which will probably be the most important job he would have as member of our starting lineup. We talk about offense all we want, but if he can't guard the opposition's PG then are are in the same spot we were in before he got here.

Did the Heat ever match him up on elite PGs, how did he look? Was it just on switches? Can he use his length against them and are his feet quick enough to keep up with a guy like Kemba?

This is wayyyy more important than anything else, if JRich can't guard point guards he should be replaced (if BB is smart) by Zhaire if Zhaire is playing well. We can't go through another season of every PG in the league lighting us up, so does he have the ability to at least stay in front of them?

We should improve in that facet of the game due to JJ not being on the court.
Moses_M83
Ballboy
And1: 64

Post#53 » by Moses_M83 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:31 pm

While we could miss JJ Reddicks shooting , I think one thing to keep in mind is with the defense we have out there, we will get a lot of easy baskets in transition.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#54 » by ivysixer2000 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:32 pm

Wiltside wrote:Rich and Winslow would take turns on the primary perimeter threat. Richardson mostly on PGs, and he would predominantly hold his own on that end.

I think he’ll be fine in Phillys system guarding predominantly PGs. He won’t have to exert as much effort offensively here as he did in Miami, which should free him up to be a pest defensively.

With the size of our team, I'm not as worried about JRich guarding wings, won't really be his job as a starter. He will almost exclusively be on the PG, unless he shows he can't handle the position. Noone else in the starting lineup (including Ben) can guard an elite PG, so JRich has to do it.

Nice to hear he was mostly on PGs, cause thats what we desperately need.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#55 » by Wiltside » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:34 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:Rich and Winslow would take turns on the primary perimeter threat. Richardson mostly on PGs, and he would predominantly hold his own on that end.

With the size of our team, I'm not as worried about JRich guarding wings, won't really be his job as a starter. He will almost exclusively be on the PG, unless he shows he can't handle the position. Noone else in the starting lineup (including Ben) can guard an elite PG, so JRich has to do it.

Just to clarify, by primary perimeter threat I mean the oppositions best perimeter player; whether that’s a PG or wing.

If it’s a PG, Rich would mostly be the guy defending them due to his length, quickness and timing.
Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Post#56 » by Winejk » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:25 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:

Disagree. I've seen Ben shut down Kyrie in crunch time. His length and strength gives those small guys problems. He has enough foot speed to keep up with most. The real shifty guys like Kemba can give Ben problems, but really all he has to do is take a half step back. Gives him a little buffer but he's still able to contest their shots.
MR28
Starter
And1: 1,553

Post#57 » by MR28 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter
76ciology
RealGM

Post#58 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:49 am

What’s gonna unlock this guy into being a star?

Ability to take it to the rim and converting it.

Currently his perimeter shooting is very good. But he lacks volume o at the rim shots or the 0-3ft shots where he shoots only 50+% and a volume of less than 20% of his total shot attempts.

If he can take it to the rim more, his FG% and FTA will rise.

Regards to realistically making it happen, i think he can. He has a perimeter shot so he can get the defense off position, he seems to be ambi dex and he is very athletic.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#59 » by freshie2 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:42 am

A longer Eddie Jones?? Nice addition to the roster...
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#60 » by phillynative » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:16 pm

76ciology wrote:What’s gonna unlock this guy into being a star?

Ability to take it to the rim and converting it.

Currently his perimeter shooting is very good. But he lacks volume o at the rim shots or the 0-3ft shots where he shoots only 50+% and a volume of less than 20% of his total shot attempts.

If he can take it to the rim more, his FG% and FTA will rise.

Regards to realistically making it happen, i think he can. He has a perimeter shot so he can get the defense off position, he seems to be ambi dex and he is very athletic.

I was about to post a similar question. Hes a quality player right now but does he have another level? He could have quite possibly approached his ceiling as well though.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers