ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 9: Vet Min or Viet Minh?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GotDaSauce
RealGM
And1: 9,631

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt. 9: Vet Min or Viet Minh? 

Post#21 » by GotDaSauce » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:40 pm

KevinGamble34 wrote:Hopefully his defence is good. Don't need another big with questionable defence.

Looks like he has some attitude and toughness.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,238

Post#22 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:44 pm

Getting even younger compared to last season so far. Not too many vets yet.

Last season we only had six guys who were not on their rookie contracts. Only two guys older than 30.
So far, we have four guys who are not on their rookie contracts -- Kanter, Kemba, Gordon, Smart. No one above 30. Hayward is our senior citizen :o

Offseason not yet over. We can't head into the season with an inexperienced bench.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#23 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:47 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Getting even younger compared to last season so far. Not too many vets yet.

Last season we only had six guys who were not on their rookie contracts. Only two guys older than 30.
So far, we have four guys who are not on their rookie contracts -- Kanter, Kemba, Gordon, Smart. No one above 30. Hayward is our senior citizen :o

Offseason not yet over. We can't head into the season with an inexperienced bench.

Agreed.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#24 » by Banks2Pierce » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:49 pm

Gotta be honest here that I might not recover as a fan if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. I'm someone that gets excited about whether or not a team gives a QO to Frank Kaminsky and a team being gifted a free ticket to a championship after the horrible mismanagement of the Lakers of the last decade would make me feel like there's no point to following it all.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#25 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:50 pm

So Spencer Dinwiddie spent all of last season recruiting Kyrie and KD to choose the Nets over the Knicks. Remember this when you are trolling their IG accounts. Lol.

"You let yourself get recruited by Spencer **** Dinwiddie? You let the guy with no-name shoes talk you out of leaving a championship team in San Francisco to play for a team that isn't even the most popular in NYC? Really KD?"

Lol.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#26 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:55 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:Gotta be honest here that I might not recover as a fan if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. I'm someone that gets excited about whether or not a team gives a QO to Frank Kaminsky and a team being gifted a free ticket to a championship after the horrible mismanagement of the Lakers of the last decade would make me feel like there's no point to following it all.

Don't you know that involuntary shudder and sigh you experience when the Lakers sign Kawhi will be the first cause in a huge chain of effects that will ultimately lead to the next Celtic championship?

The Shudder-sigh Effect.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#27 » by CelticFaninLBC » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:55 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:Gotta be honest here that I might not recover as a fan if Kawhi goes to the Lakers. I'm someone that gets excited about whether or not a team gives a QO to Frank Kaminsky and a team being gifted a free ticket to a championship after the horrible mismanagement of the Lakers of the last decade would make me feel like there's no point to following it all.

Basketball will be tough to watch, if Kawhi becomes a Laker, especially after LA's tampering to get AD. This is what Adam Silver wants though. Lakers = ratings.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 9,981

Post#28 » by fallguy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:56 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:

Basketball will be tough to watch, if Kawhi becomes a Laker, especially after LA's tampering to get AD. This is what Adam Silver wants though. Lakers = ratings.

SWC made a good point about a potential lockout if Kawhi ends up in LAL. There will be some owner rage at that.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#29 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Jul 2, 2019 2:56 pm

Wish they could have gotten Willie Cauley-Stein on a 1 year prove it deal instead of Kanter. Poirier on paper seems like a passable alternative.

A mobile 7-footer who can run the floor is really what we need at the C position. I'm really not too concerned with skill level. Transition is going to be important and WCS has shown in Sacramento that he can be a weapon running the floor. He's a slug but for one year he'd have to be on his best behavior.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#30 » by KGboss » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:02 pm

fallguy wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:

SWC made a good point about a potential lockout if Kawhi ends up in LAL. There will be some owner rage at that.
Said it in the previous thread that it needs to happen. Even the nets signing kyrie, Durant for less money and DJ going there for pennies leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#31 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:02 pm

If Perrier Carbonated Water becomes a Celtic, I'm just gonna assume Theis is gone. Which is weird 'cos all of our bigs right now don't really shoot from beyond the arc -- Kanter, Williams, Poirier. Total departure from what we're used to -- KO, Horford, AMIR!, Baynes, Sully -- all take threes. I'm not sure what happens to Yabu tbh.

If it's an expanded Kemba trade involving Phoenix, then Yabu is gone. If it's straight up between CHA-BOS, then Yabu might stay.

Of course, we could very well be trading for Bradley Beal too.:P So most of these guys will be gone.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#32 » by CelticFaninLBC » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:02 pm

fallguy wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:

Hopefully there's protest about LeBron's agency essentially running the league.
scootch
Sophomore
And1: 292

Post#33 » by scootch » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:13 pm

Man, if the Lakers sign Kawhi it's gonna be soooooo sick when we regain our upstart, scrappy underdog status and beat them in 7 in the finals no one thought we could possibly make.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#34 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:14 pm

fallguy wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:

Yah, I cant imagine it going over well at all.

Its one thing that the Warriors got KD, but that was really a total fluke circumstance that will never happen again. The Warriors also ‘deserved’ it from some excellent maneuvers and drafting.

The Lakers thing is not a fluke. They were completely incompetent and the only reason this is possible is because of where LA is geo-located. And this will continue to happen over and over again unless they institute some sort of franchise tag.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#35 » by CelticFaninLBC » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
fallguy wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:

Its one thing that the Warriors got KD, but that was really a total fluke circumstance that will never happen again. The Warriors also ‘deserved’ it from some excellent maneuvers and drafting.

The Lakers thing is not a fluke. They were completely incompetent and the only reason this is possible is because of where LA is geo-located. And this will continue to happen over and over again unless they institute some sort of franchise tag.

Yeah, GSW built a great team via that draft, and smart use of cap space. The Lakers have basically fumbled there way to a potential superteam.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#36 » by Roddy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:19 pm

So we will have two French guys with Yabu and Poirier.

French lesson number 1 :

French - English

Poire = pear
Poirier = pear tree

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#37 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:21 pm

Read on Twitter
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,145

Post#38 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:21 pm

Regardless of whether Kawhi goes there or not, the NBA needs to make serious changes. Small market teams have to be 110% perfect, while the Lakers can be a top 3 incompetent organization and get players because they just want to go there.

I’ve said it a million times, there needs to be one major max contract per team that is worth 40-45% of the cap with the next highest contract being no higher than 20-25%. Still allow teams to keep their drafted players at any price to reward good drafting. Unfortunately my suggestion wouldn’t have stopped KD to the Warriors but whatever. That was incredible management; I can’t fault them for that. This would prevent whatever is going on with the Lakers, though.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager

Post#39 » by CelticFaninLBC » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:22 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
fallguy wrote:

Yeah, GSW built a great team via that draft, and smart use of cap space. The Lakers have basically fumbled their way to a potential superteam.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#40 » by Roddy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 3:25 pm

Sorry Kyrie....even Vegas think that we are better without you :naaa:

Return to Boston Celtics