ImageImageImage

Gordon Hayward Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Re: Gordon Hayward Thread 

Post#1441 » by ParticleMan » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:02 pm

Hayward needs to fill Horford's role on offense. Initiate the offense from the high post via passes or handoffs, pop out to the 3 line or drive to the hole, and look for lobs to our bigs. We can also throw it in to him in the post more than Horford, since he is a more adept post scorer (though usually facing up), and he will make good passes out to the wings.

Part of Hayward's fitting in problem in the last two years is that Horford was playing the role that was meant for him in Brad's offense.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1442 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:13 pm

Hayward being close to his Jazz self would significantly change this teams ceiling.

I happily would take him playing a late Celtic career Pierce role, that alone would dramatically improve this team. Though now that i think about it, late career Pierce played a pretty similar role on offense as Al.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#1443 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:15 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Hayward needs to fill Horford's role on offense. Initiate the offense from the high post via passes or handoffs, pop out to the 3 line or drive to the hole, and look for lobs to our bigs. We can also throw it in to him in the post more than Horford, since he is a more adept post scorer (though usually facing up), and he will make good passes out to the wings.

Part of Hayward's fitting in problem in the last two years is that Horford was playing the role that was meant for him in Brad's offense.

I agree and think he’s capable...Larry bird jr style.
Sign here
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1444 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:27 pm

The Comedian wrote:I happily would take him playing a late Celtic career Pierce role, that alone would dramatically improve this team.

Yeah, trade him to the Nets for three unprotected first round picks. I'm good with that.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#1445 » by Kids Are Alright » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:47 am

Anyone that thought he played like he was worth his minutes didn’t watch Gordon defend last year, it was brutal to watch.
Stevens sacrificed himself to rebuild Gordo’s confidence and physicality. Was it worth it? We’ll find out this year. It’d be stupid to trade this low on such a fine “Stevens-system” player. Maybe it’s 50-50 at this point that he gets the full physical/emotional tools to fully return, but that’s better than late Nets picks.
I’ve got my fingers crossed that Hayward makes a full return to the thoughtful, high assist/scorer that made him a max player and one of my favorites.
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,923

Post#1446 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:20 am

Live feed those workouts on Twitch or they didn't happen.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1447 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:11 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Live feed those workouts on Twitch or they didn't happen.

I guess he gets them in before any witnesses arrive: https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/02/celtics-gordon-hayward-continues-early-morning-vigil/
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#1448 » by chrisab123 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:07 pm

The Comedian wrote:Hayward being close to his Jazz self would significantly change this teams ceiling.

I happily would take him playing a late Celtic career Pierce role, that alone would dramatically improve this team. Though now that i think about it, late career Pierce played a pretty similar role on offense as Al.

It would help. However this team is going nowhere without Tatum reaching his potential which is entirely possible. I can see them with a best case scenario mirroring Utah. But as far as contenders they're probably a big move away. However, If Kawhi goes to the Lakers then its probably moot in terms of contending.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1449 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:08 pm

ThirtyFour wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we put him in the right position next season, he's gonna be out for blood. Quote me on that.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#1450 » by greenroom31 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:14 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Live feed those workouts on Twitch or they didn't happen.

I guess he gets them in before any witnesses arrive: https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/02/celtics-gordon-hayward-continues-early-morning-vigil/

Scott Morrison definitely the king of hype so far. Waiting for him to come out with a quote about how Yabu has never looked more fit and is the fastest guy on the team.

Also, glad to hear that Hayward is working out this offseason, but an NBA player should be working out at least 5 days a week. This is not some Rocky-in-Russia level training effort -- it's the baseline expectation for me.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1451 » by KGboss » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:46 pm

What's the over/under on Hayward returning after this season as of July 3rd?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#1452 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:58 pm

KGboss wrote:What's the over/under on Hayward returning after this season as of July 3rd?

You mean does he pick up his player option for 20-21? That’s a really good question?

At this point I think he will but who the hell knows

I’d say 75% chance he is back for 20-21.
Sign here
CSL_1904
Veteran
And1: 3,479

Post#1453 » by CSL_1904 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:09 pm

The other night watched some highlights of his last season in Utah and man he looked so much bigger than this season with us.

I really think that, apart from getting the confidence back, he was just not in shape. Hopefully he's using this offseason to get back to those physical levels.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1454 » by ddb » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:55 pm

With Kyrie gone and no longer sucking the life out of teammates, I strongly suspect that Hayward will be much more comfortable. I also think he will be back at full strength and ready to have a great season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
nickgammon
Pro Prospect
And1: 873

Post#1455 » by nickgammon » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:19 pm

Winning cures all ailments. If Hayward is back to his normal self and making things flow smoother for JB and JT (like Al did), I think everyone will get along just fine.

If he’s not himself and is force fed minutes, I can see issues arising again.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1456 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:24 pm

I think Gordon Hayward is going to have the biggest "F*CK YOU!" season this year. I'm pretty sure he's going to come into camp pissed off about how players were jealous of his "preferential treatment" last year. Huge chip on his shoulder.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,156

Post#1457 » by itrsteve » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:36 pm

They dropped all the toxic elements from the locker room, things that will set back a rehabbing player trying to prove his worth.

Hayward is going to be great this year, we all saw it coming at the tail end of the season. I don’t find it coincidental that he was ineffective in the Milwaukee series as Irving was sucking the life out of the team.

It’s a new season, the future is bright boys.
greenpierce
Pro Prospect
And1: 148

Post#1458 » by greenpierce » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:57 pm

I think Hayward will be fine. I found it really takes about 2 years to start to be pain free after a bad ankle break. And while it will still swell post game from time to time after you remove the compression, that's manageable.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#1459 » by greenroom31 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:58 pm

itrsteve wrote:They dropped all the toxic elements from the locker room, things that will set back a rehabbing player trying to prove his worth.

Hayward is going to be great this year, we all saw it coming at the tail end of the season. I don’t find it coincidental that he was ineffective in the Milwaukee series as Irving was sucking the life out of the team.

It’s a new season, the future is bright boys.

So now it's Kyrie's fault that Hayward sucked against Milwaukee?

I'm not enamored with the guy either but some of you would blame him for climate change at this point.

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1460 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:59 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
KGboss wrote:What's the over/under on Hayward returning after this season as of July 3rd?

You mean does he pick up his player option for 20-21? That’s a really good question?

At this point I think he will but who the hell knows

I’d say 75% chance he is back for 20-21.

If he has a good season, he could be the best FA in his FA class, in which case 0% chance he picks up the option. If he sucks or gets injured he picks it up. Of course if he has a good season and doesn't pick up his option, I'd say it's still incredibly likely he remains in Boston, just on a new 3-4 year deal at max money. The best FA in this class are Hayward, Draymond, Davis, Siakam. Draymond is probably getting a supermax and staying, Davis is obviously the same in LA, Siakam is RFA and Toronto will match any offer. Lowry is in there, but he'll be 34. Bunch of other young RFA entering (Ingram, Brown, Sabonis, Hield) but they usually don't change teams unless they have a middling season and someone offers max or near-max. If Hayward is 90% of Utah Hayward, he's not opting in and will receive 4 year max offers from several teams.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics