ImageImageImage

Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal (2019)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal (2019) 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interesting.
Plot Thickens.

Looks like we're going to our 20-Man Off-season Roster?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Re: Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal 

Post#2 » by darrendaye » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:28 pm

I have to think this secures Waters as a 2-way contract guy now.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
KevinGamble34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,640

Post#3 » by KevinGamble34 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:39 pm

Not bad at the end of the bench. Always good to have another ball handler and can help with the young guys.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#4 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:43 pm

Beginning to look like the Red Claws will be loaded with young talent at the guard spot this season?

Has anyone counted the number of first round picks that the Celtics now have on their roster this year?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#5 » by darrendaye » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:45 pm

If nothing else, our criticisms of Ainge not tapping into the Euro influence through the draft or free agent signings can be allayed, he has signed three Euro leagues based development guys back-to-back-to-back in Theis, Poirier, and Wanamaker
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,650

Post#6 » by Green89 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:45 pm

Not sure what's going on here. Walker-Smart-Wannamaker-Edwards-Waters is too many guards, two SMALL guards, and three of them too inexperiencd to play meaningful minutes. We need a vet backup PG.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#7 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:48 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interesting.
Plot Thickens.

Looks like we're going to our 20-Man Off-season Roster?

Continuity matters....
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#8 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:13 am

KevinGamble34 wrote:Not bad at the end of the bench. Always good to have another ball handler and can help with the young guys.

A little continuity, plus I think he moves up the bench with Rozier gone. Smart is presumably really the primary backup at the 2, though playing full-time minutes so just a few left over for Wanamaker, on average. But he and Theis are also models for Vincent P. as I understand it. Perhaps a year on the deep bench learning, but then up to a regular rotation role if earned. And, I guess the C's can go over the cap on re-signing them, as they just did with Brad and Daniel. Very exciting to see regular minutes planned for Rob W., too, with Vincent on this plan. Enes could be gone in a year with all of Rob, Vincent and Tacko having the opportunity to move up to 1, 2 and 3 on the depth chart next year.

Also interesting that even the vets on this team are still young. (With "Aging Al" gone.)
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#9 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:17 am

Very happy about this. Wanamaker can easily slot in and play 12-15 MPG in an NBA rotation. It was frankly insane that Rozier was playing over him last year IMO, and benching Tito to play a steadier hand who would simply make the smart/simple pass would have paid dividends across the roster.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#10 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:10 am

The only good move the Celtics have made this offseason.

Of course, if they had taken the pick for Rozier a year ago they would have been much better and Wanamaker would have played more and Boston would have won more.

Langford will never be a point guard. Smart can't run a team. C Edwards is a shooting guard in a small point guard's body. If the Celtics want to win they need to play Wanamaker, at least until he shows his great numbers and poised play last season don't continue with more minutes against better players.

If you watched all the games Wanamaker played in Europe, you saw a player who could run a team, was in control, was making good decisions. Why the Celtics did not want that on the court instead of the pouting and low-percentage-shooting of the children they had on the floor last season is why changes among the suit and tie Celtics should be made. Who sends Rozier onto the court to freeze out half the players and to chuck at 35% when Wanamaker was there to pass the ball and to score closer to 50% from the field?

The Celtics are once again, and it always fails, putting too much into the roster. With Wanamaker around, with a very high pickused on shooting guard Langford, if the Celtics don't combine Smart and Brown, and hopefully money of Yabu, for a power forward it will again be a horror season.

Add up the minutes.

K Walker 38

J Tatum 35

G Hayward 34

Wanamaker can easily take the 10 backup pg minutes. No need for both Smart and J Brown, or that means Langford was just a wasted pick.

Need a power forward, all they have is a bear from France and some guy who was a volunteer last season.

That probably means they only have one power forward, the rookie first round pick.

Nearly forgot Semi, which still leaves just the rookie as a power forward with some NBA ability.

Wanamaker was 48-41-86 last season for Boston.

On a contending team, to have a second or third point guard with that ability, and an assist to turnover ratio which was good and a bit better than Smart's, Wanamaker would be very valuable. Less important on the unbalanced, chucking Celtics of today and last year. If Wanamaker makes zero mistakes, causes zero problems, but again gets zero real minutes by the Celtics it will again be very confusing.

As he took low money, signed quickly, it must indicate that from the Celtics last season on the roster he was the only one who definitely wanted to be a Celtic 100%.

Very high PER and True Shooting %:

Robert Williams
Daniel Theis

Brad Wanamaker

Those three coming back, it does give some hope of high-percentage efficient play. Hard to do that from the bench though.

The above, need to go down ten more lines below Wanamaker to find Rozier for TS%. Wanamaker was always better than Rozier.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,870

Post#11 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:14 am

darrendaye wrote:If nothing else, our criticisms of Ainge not tapping into the Euro influence through the draft or free agent signings can be allayed, he has signed three Euro leagues based development guys back-to-back-to-back in Theis, Poirier, and Wanamaker

Don’t forget Yabu!
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#12 » by Taget » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:32 am

Training camp is going to be brutal. Not everyone signed is making the team. Will be interesting to hear about how much of these contracts are guaranteed.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#13 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:37 am

I believe Wanamaker is the oldest player on the team now. Only 30-yo once the season begins.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#14 » by Kalela » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:34 am

This signing confuses me. Brad didn't trust this guy to play non-garbage minutes even when Rozier was killing the team. I wonder if that will change this year.
Fire Mazzulla
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,638

Post#15 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:57 am

Kalela wrote:This signing confuses me. Brad didn't trust this guy to play non-garbage minutes even when Rozier was killing the team. I wonder if that will change this year.

The locker room dynamic and having guys in a contract year made lineup decisions weird and questionable last year. Rozier should've been shipped before the deadline though, but that beaten dead horse has sailed.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#16 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:18 am

Wasn't expecting this after Waters and Edwards were drafted, I really liked Wanamaker last year and thought he should have gotten a lot more minutes, he always made the right pass, ball never stuck in his hands, he hit his shots. Hard to tell defensively, probably not anything more than average, but guard defense isn't that important.

Waters is spending the whole year in the G-League I guess.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#17 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:22 am

Green89 wrote:Not sure what's going on here. Walker-Smart-Wannamaker-Edwards-Waters is too many guards, two SMALL guards, and three of them too inexperiencd to play meaningful minutes. We need a vet backup PG.

So it's too many guards AND then need a vet backup PG? Who? Zero chance anyone available is better than Wanamaker. One 'N', respect the name.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#18 » by OldCeltics » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:24 am

Green 17 coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#19 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:50 am

OldCeltics wrote:Green 17 coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Dont you mean 18? Remember we had 3 pretty good players 10 or 11 years ago?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#20 » by captain green » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:50 am

Ok I'll bite which means something is brewing or we didn't like our 2nd round draft picks or we got 3 different plans going on. Either way something seems off don't dislike the addition just didn't see it coming with moves previously moved.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.

Return to Boston Celtics