ImageImageImageImageImage

WCS incoming per Marcus Thompson

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: WCS incoming per Marcus Thompson 

Post#41 » by Samurai » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:23 pm

I've only seen WCS in our games against the Kings and WCS typically seemed to play very well against us, particularly on offense. So for those who have seen more of his game, can you provide me with a quick scouting report? In those limited games against us, he seems like a poor-man's version of Cousins without a 3-point shot: talented low post game, decent passer, good rebounder, sort of average on defense and rim protecting, some questions about personality/maturity. How far off am I?

At any rate, I'm glad that we got him as I was very concerned about only having Jones as our only 7-footer. WCS and Looney should be a solid combination at the 5 with WCS providing the size and Looney when we need a small-ball lineup. And gives Jones a chance to prove himself for deserving playing time or playing himself off the team after this season; this needs to be his "poop or get off the pot" season.
bballguy50
Veteran
And1: 108

Post#42 » by bballguy50 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:45 pm

Wow, was not even on the radar for me, but this made me smile. Awesome pickup for the price.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#43 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 11:48 pm

Willie is a way better player than anyone I thought we would get. Willie is a great rim runner for a center and is good on the switch for a center. He had a good year in Sacramento. But he's interesting to me since we just have a better team to enhance his game. This past year we did not have the level of rim running threat that WCS is.

I think the roster is designed to have Russell at the top in the pick n roll with Green, the Splash brothers on each wing ready to drill 3's, and WCS parked in the paint ready to jam on teams. It's gonna be a real nightmare for other teams to defend.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#44 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:43 am

jamesnamida wrote:Weird if it’s the min, thought he would get more.
I guess it’ll be wcs/looney/jones? With looney starting depending on matchups.
But we have some rookies that can play the 5.
Hopefully Jones looks better in summer league.

Knowing Kerr and how he operates, Willie will start and he'll keep Looney coming off the bench. He likes Looney coming in off the bench. He fits the matchups.

However I believe Looney should start and he's earned a big time increase in minutes.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#45 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:48 am

Coxy wrote:
Jester_ wrote:Unpopular opinion: If Dray doesn't suck, we're now almost as talented on paper as we were in 2015.

WCS is the best pickup we could've gotten for the min - he's a genuinely good player and an unbelievable screen setter (when he applies himself, anyway). Can't wait to see him and Steph.

I can't wait to see him and DRAYMOND. Think of WCS as our new Javale. Rim running, shot blocking athletic freak. The best thing that ever happened on a basketball court for McGee was Draymond Green. Not ony set him up for an enormous amount of lobs, but taught him how to use his brain on the court and got him to concentrate.

This could be a huge signing for us if Willie comes to the team humbled.

It seems like Willie would be a good shot blocker, but imly .6 per game last year. Hopefully our scheme will improve that number.

However he scored 12 per and grabbed 8 and a half rebounds per game. He comes close to that and we're loving life.

For the minimum or close to it, another great cost to value move.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#46 » by Quazza » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:52 am

He's not "great " (and isn't as good as he should be given his attributes) but this is a hell of a signing at this price.

'CAN BOB MYERS GET SOME **** CREDIT"
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#47 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:00 am

I have been bashing Myers of late, primarily his drafting, but I have to give give him some due. The Looney signing, GR3 and now WCS are solid moves.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#48 » by BayArea408415 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:14 am

Amazing signing for that price. Fits into the system well with his pick n roll switching ability and will catch all the lobs Green, Curry, D’Angelo, etc throw at him.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#49 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:30 am

BayArea408415 wrote:Amazing signing for that price. Fits into the system well with his pick n roll switching ability and will catch all the lobs Green, Curry, D’Angelo, etc throw at him.

He also is excellent at running the court - very helpful for a team that loves to run and play up-tempo the way we do. And while he gets knocked for not being a great rebounder, his Def Reb% last season was 23.7; not quite as good as Cousins but better than Draymond, which isn't too shabby.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#50 » by Phase 3 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:59 am

Great signing. Cauley-Stein is exactly the type of center that thrives playing with the Warriors. He’s got legit size for a center, he can run the floor, he’s athletic, and he can finish at the rim. The perfect type of center to pair with Draymond.

Just like McGee thrived here in that role, I think Cauley-Stein will as well...as long as he comes here to work hard and learn.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#51 » by Phase 3 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:04 am

Jester_ wrote:Unpopular opinion: If Dray doesn't suck, we're now almost as talented on paper as we were in 2015.

WCS is the best pickup we could've gotten for the min - he's a genuinely good player and an unbelievable screen setter (when he applies himself, anyway). Can't wait to see him and Steph.

Agreed but with one caveat...Klay is able to come back by February/March and looks like the same Klay we’ve seen for his entire career here.

If that happens, look out...this team could be really fun.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#52 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:09 am

Still need the bench guys to really step up.

Fortunately they will be forced into action and tons of minutes.....unfortunately they will be forced into action and tons of minutes.

Gonna be some growing pains for sure.
Khoee wrote “
Samurai
General Manager

Post#53 » by Samurai » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:25 am

Quazza wrote:He's not "great " (and isn't as good as he should be given his attributes) but this is a hell of a signing at this price.

'CAN BOB MYERS GET SOME **** CREDIT"

Totally agree. I swear that some to be judging Myers by a standard that says "KD left - why didn't you sign Kawhi to replace him?" Anything less than that seems like a failure. He offered KD the max that he could and Durant made his decision. Given that, I think Myers has made some lemonade out of lemons under the circumstances. When KD first announced he was going to the Nets, we looked like a lottery team. Now we look like a playoff team and, depending on how well Klay responds to his injury and whether or not Kawhi goes to the Lakers (again, another decision Myers has zero control over), who knows how far we could go in the playoffs.

None of us know how well D-Lo, WCS or GR3 will perform but hats off to Myers who has been WORKIN' to keep this team competitive instead of sitting in a dark room crying an ocean of tears about KD's decision.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#54 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:00 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I can't wait to see him and DRAYMOND. Think of WCS as our new Javale. Rim running, shot blocking athletic freak. The best thing that ever happened on a basketball court for McGee was Draymond Green. Not ony set him up for an enormous amount of lobs, but taught him how to use his brain on the court and got him to concentrate.

It seems like Willie would be a good shot blocker, but imly .6 per game last year. Hopefully our scheme will improve that number.

However he scored 12 per and grabbed 8 and a half rebounds per game. He comes close to that and we're loving life.

Hi guys.

Willie is on record stating he doesn't like to block shots because he injures his hand doing it...that also bleeds into his poor rim protection numbers so don't expect much there either.

He is a great rim runner but he wants to be more.

I think your team was the best landing spot for him. He should do well.

Any questions ask away.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#55 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:07 am

City of Trees wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Hi guys.

Willie is on record stating he doesn't like to block shots because he injures his hand doing it. That also bleeds into his poor rim protection numbers so don't expect much their either.

Any questions ask away.

Hi dude.

1. How do you think he'll respond to Draymond berating him and kicking him in the nuts for every time he doesn't set an A+ screen, or box out with authority, or rotate on defence at a championship level?

2. How do you think he'll respond to Kerr benching for weeks for not rotating on defence the right way?

3. How bad is his weed intake?
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#56 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:14 am

Coxy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Hi guys.

Willie is on record stating he doesn't like to block shots because he injures his hand doing it. That also bleeds into his poor rim protection numbers so don't expect much their either.

Any questions ask away.

Hi dude.

1. How do you think he'll respond to Draymond berating him and kicking him in the nuts for every time he doesn't set an A+ screen, or box out with authority, or rotate on defence at a championship level?

2. How do you think he'll respond to Kerr benching for weeks for not rotating on defence the right way?

Ha

1. Willie is actually a good guy. If the criticism is valid he probably listens.

2. Willie believes he is a $100M player. He says he is the same as Porzingis but hasn't had the opportunity to show it yet . If you bench him he will go on a 4 minute free spirit type rant to the media.

3. Supposedly there is a documentary of him while at Kentucky. The weed use was high, allegedly. WCS is an artist, he draws and paints a lot... So yeah lol
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#57 » by watch1958 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:58 am

Coxy wrote:

We made JaVale useful, so why not WCS? He's a good defensive rebounder. Not as good an offensive rebounder as McGee. Less of a shot blocker, but a better passer than JaVale.

Best of all (no matter how he turns out) is thinking about the whining on the general board.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#58 » by Coxy » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:57 pm

City of Trees wrote:
Coxy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Hi guys.

Any questions ask away.

Hi dude.

Ha

1. Willie is actually a good guy. If the criticism is valid he probably listens.

2. Willie believes he is a $100M player. He says he is the same as Porzingis but hasn't had the opportunity to show it yet . If you bench him he will go on a 4 minute free spirit type rant to the media.

3. Supposedly there is a documentary of him while at Kentucky. The weed use was high, allegedly. WCS is an artist, he draws and paints a lot... So yeah lol

So.............. Larry Sanders. You're telling me we have signed Larry Sanders.

Wonderful. :curse:
beb0p
Junior
And1: 51

Post#59 » by beb0p » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:58 pm

Coxy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Hi guys.

Any questions ask away.

Hi dude.

1. You don't understand, WCS is not going to take s*** from anyone. He is a mixture of grand delusion and freak of nature. In his mind, he is prime Dwight Howard + Porzingas + Anthony Davis. He is better than Draymond Green in every way so Green better not mess with him. True story: after George Karl benched him for soft defense, he went on a rant and called his coach stupid for not playing one of the best defenders in the league. This was his rookie year and he was nowhere near the best of anything. And still isn't.

2. See above regarding his reaction to George Karl benching.

3. His weed is not the problem, it's his head. He is delusional and he doesn't give a f***. His philosophy is to play just hard enough to get by. You will never find yourself saying, "Wow, WCS is really leaving everything on the floor tonight!" He doesn't like to hustle or draw contact in general. If a small guard just happens to leave a floater in the air he may block it or if a missed shot happens to fall within his area and there is no other players around him, he will grab the rebound. But otherwise, he is not out there looking to block or rebound, especially if it involves a crowd or good positioning. His finishing is very Andris Beidrins-like - he can throw down open dunks/layups but anything more nuance he will likely miss the shot. He is a surprisingly good midrange shooter, but he is not consistent. He is just a freak of nature that does just enough to win/lose you games. When he is engaged he can be a beast, but often times he wasn't. He is not a bad player and not a bad guy, he is just different. He is not really concern about stats, wins, or loses; it seems. He is a misunderstood artist forced to express his art through basketball. There are times when he was playing that you get the feeling he'd rather be at home painting.

I'm glad the Kings are done with him. If the Warriors get more out of him, power to them. For the vet min, he is properly not a bad signing. Just keep in him he is not the typical vet min guy - instead of an aging or less talented player who plays hard, WCS is the opposite - a freak of nature who sometimes don't see the point of hustling.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#60 » by City of Trees » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:16 pm

Coxy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Hi dude.

Ha

So.............. Larry Sanders. You're telling me we have signed Larry Sanders.

Wonderful. :curse:
You decide. I really recommend watching this interview and others of his. Free spirit indeed.

Return to Golden State Warriors