ImageImageImage

Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal (2019)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Re: Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal 

Post#21 » by OldCeltics » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:51 am

RickyDizzle wrote:
OldCeltics wrote:Green 17 coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Dont you mean 18? Remember we had 3 pretty good players 10 or 11 years ago?
Green 19 coming

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#22 » by CelticsLV » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:04 am

Can someone explain why people assume that every drafted player even in 2nd round is some kind of instant role filler on the bench? Wanamaker has proved way more than any of Edwards or Waters.

I guess it's the shiny new toy effect.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,665

Post#23 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:23 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Green89 wrote:Not sure what's going on here. Walker-Smart-Wannamaker-Edwards-Waters is too many guards, two SMALL guards, and three of them too inexperiencd to play meaningful minutes. We need a vet backup PG.

So it's too many guards AND then need a vet backup PG? Who? Zero chance anyone available is better than Wanamaker. One 'N', respect the name.

Five guards AND three of those aren't going to be significant help this season, so yes we still need a vet PG.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#24 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:51 am

Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Green89 wrote:Not sure what's going on here. Walker-Smart-Wannamaker-Edwards-Waters is too many guards, two SMALL guards, and three of them too inexperiencd to play meaningful minutes. We need a vet backup PG.

So it's too many guards AND then need a vet backup PG? Who? Zero chance anyone available is better than Wanamaker. One 'N', respect the name.

Five guards AND three of those aren't going to be significant help this season, so yes we still need a vet PG.

Ridiculous. Waters likely starts up in Portland, one way or another. Wannamaker is 30 years old, has been a pro player for years, and already played for this team for a year, showing quite well. Walker is also much more durable than Kyrie (or IT for that matter). Edwards is more of a combo guard, but I think he is ready to see minutes pretty quickly this year. Wannamaker also could be brought back without cap space. They'll be fine.

And if Kemba and Smart both go down, considering they are two of the team's top six players, the team isn't contending anyway, so some more minutes there might as well go to young guys.
Green89
RealGM

Post#25 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:59 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:So it's too many guards AND then need a vet backup PG? Who? Zero chance anyone available is better than Wanamaker. One 'N', respect the name.

Ridiculous. Waters likely starts up in Portland, one way or another. Wannamaker is 30 years old, has been a pro player for years, and already played for this team for a year, showing quite well. Walker is also much more durable than Kyrie (or IT for that matter). Edwards is more of a combo guard, but I think he is ready to see minutes pretty quickly this year. Wannamaker also could be brought back without cap space. They'll be fine.

And if Kemba and Smart both go down, considering they are two of the team's top six players, the team isn't contending anyway, so some more minutes there might as well go to young guys.

If Brad and Carsen end up our two main bench point guards, they would be the most inexperienced backup up point guards we've ever started a season with.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,946

Post#26 » by CelticsPride18 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:03 pm

Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Green89 wrote:

If Brad and Carsen end up our two main bench point guards, they would be the most inexperienced backup up point guards we've ever started a season with.

Brad Wanamaker shot 47% from the FG and 41% from 3. That’s excellent production from your third string guard.
Green89
RealGM

Post#27 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:05 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
Green89 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Brad Wanamaker shot 47% from the FG and 41% from 3. That’s excellent production from your third string guard.

In less than 10 minutes per game. Can he do it consistently once he gets double the minutes?
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#28 » by snowman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:00 pm

I love this signing. Wish it was on a longer deal. I ALWAYS thought Wanamaker was better than Rozier overall. Sure Rozier had his 15 min of fame in the playoffs 2 years ago, but his shooting was bad. Wanamaker is a true point guard IMHO. He knows the system and is very cool under pressure. I think he and Smart running the bench squad while Edwards and Waters learn is a very good situation. (Waters will more than likely be a 2 way player and play in Maine all year.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#29 » by greenroom31 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:44 pm

snowman wrote:I love this signing. Wish it was on a longer deal. I ALWAYS thought Wanamaker was better than Rozier overall. Sure Rozier had his 15 min of fame in the playoffs 2 years ago, but his shooting was bad. Wanamaker is a true point guard IMHO. He knows the system and is very cool under pressure. I think he and Smart running the bench squad while Edwards and Waters learn is a very good situation. (Waters will more than likely be a 2 way player and play in Maine all year.

Don't think we have too much to worry about in retaining Wanamaker next year if we really want to...
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#30 » by ddb » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:52 pm

I don't mind this signing. I thought that in a very limited role last season he looked pretty good. I love that his head is always up and that he's looking to push tempo. He also isn't afraid to let it fly.

This Pretty much secures that Waters is a 2-way guy, and the spot minutes for ball handler competition will be between Wanamaker and Edwards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#31 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:56 pm

Hayward can also play point forward. Nothing wrong with this signing.
radcot
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#32 » by radcot » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:15 pm

Green89 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:
Green89 wrote:

In less than 10 minutes per game. Can he do it consistently once he gets double the minutes?

Why would his minutes double? Smart will still play some point when Walker sits. Wanamaker will fill 3rd guard role again, a job he performed admirably enough last season.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,683

Post#33 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:30 pm

radcot wrote:
Green89 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:

Why would his minutes double? Smart will still play some point when Walker sits. Wanamaker will fill 3rd guard role again, a job he performed admirably enough last season.

To a first approximation, I agree. This season, the #3 PG will not be handed Rozier-like minutes. That said, the #3 PG should get somewhat more minutes than last season's #4 PG, who was Wanamaker.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#34 » by Gant » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:45 pm

radcot wrote:
Green89 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:

This is why Smart has the highest chance to be 6th man.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#35 » by sam_I_am » Wed Jul 3, 2019 4:50 pm

I like Wanamaker and think he is excellent back up. However, ideally Edwards or Waters makes him expendable.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,845

Post#36 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Oh no. Someone tell Wanamaker Kyrie, Horford, Morris, Rozier, and Baynes are no longer with the team.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#37 » by BillTheGOAT » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:38 pm

How much did he sign for, his QO or more?
GreenFor3
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#38 » by GreenFor3 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:07 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:How much did he sign for, his QO or more?

Vet min I think
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#39 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:52 pm

Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

I guess I just disagree. Smart/Kemba/Hayward/Wanamaker will be handling the ball like 90% of the time if this team is going to be any good. Edwards, Waters, Langford are projects that may or may not work, but I don't see the need to bring in someone to play 200 minutes this year to take away any sort of potential role for them. Waters is a two-way guy and Edwards is probably spending the majority of the year in Portland until there is a guard injury. What vet PG do you want to add and what role do you think he'll have? They just survived a year with Terry Rozier getting 23 minutes a game.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#40 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:10 pm

CelticsLV wrote:Can someone explain why people assume that every drafted player even in 2nd round is some kind of instant role filler on the bench? Wanamaker has proved way more than any of Edwards or Waters.

I guess it's the shiny new toy effect.

Yep. We have to remember that second round picks rarely materialize. Edwards I think has a shot but it’s likely Waters has some G league years and never makes a roster. If he looks good in summer league he’ll land a two way deal.

We needed Wanamaker or a guy like him that is proven to run the team just in case and give us some spot minutes.
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics