ImageImageImage

Who's our 6th man?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who comes off the bench this year?

Smart
66%
Brown
18%
Hayward
15%

Total votes: 92

ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Re: Who's our 6th man? 

Post#41 » by ZeroTolerance » Tue Jul 2, 2019 9:00 pm

amory87 wrote:Brown and Hayward need to be really good for the Celtics to have much success at all, so I think they both need to start.

Smart is a great 6th man and (maybe more importantly) he's mostly ok with being a 6th man

i'm seeing a pattern here... You guys are all worried about player egos...

These guys make millions of dollars....they should act like professionals and leave their personal egos out of it...

The ones that let their egos get the best of them are gone from the team this year...I doubt that Danny would think twice about moving a malcontent going forward....

For some of you, that reality may not have sunk in just yet?

The thinking should be...''Do your job'".
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#42 » by vct33 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:24 pm

ZeroTolerance wrote:
amory87 wrote:Brown and Hayward need to be really good for the Celtics to have much success at all, so I think they both need to start.

Smart is a great 6th man and (maybe more importantly) he's mostly ok with being a 6th man

These guys make millions of dollars....they should act like professionals and leave their personal egos out of it...

The ones that let their egos get the best of them are gone from the team this year...I doubt that Danny would think twice about moving a malcontent going forward....

There’s a difference between having a little ego and being a selfish prima donna. JB has an ego. He’s young and cocky and probably needs to be catered to a bit. Nobody hear is confusing him for Antonio Brown. Most of these guys wouldn’t have gotten to this point without some ego. Asking them to “leave ego out of it” is unrealistic.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#43 » by 31to6 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:27 pm

vct33 wrote:
ZeroTolerance wrote:

There’s a difference between having a little ego and being a selfish prima donna. JB has an ego. He’s young and cocky and probably needs to be catered to a bit. Nobody hear is confusing him for Antonio Brown.

Kinda sucks we're doing the same thing as last year -- when Hayward starting caused issues. Hopefully a year of experience for everyone (including Brad) and the removal of Morris + Terry mean we can get by with everyone happier this year. Still -- among Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Hayward someone's not starting and someone's not closing.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#44 » by cloverleaf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:33 pm

Smart has scared me a bit by saying he was too unselfish last season and plans to be more aggressive this year. (Bombs away?) But if he comes into camp really nailing his shots and continuing to play his stellar D, while teaming well with Kemba and Brown stumbles out of the gates again, I think Smart needs to start.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#45 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:56 pm

People are over-thinking this. Brown and Hayward start, Smart comes off the bench. If Brown or Hayward struggles as a starter, then you might be forced to make a change.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#46 » by Triple7 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:21 am

Smart should come off the bench. We need to give every chance for Brown and Tatum to develop. Hayward should start as well, if we hope for him to ever return to form.
Start Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Kanter.

Note: if you don’t start Brown and Kanter they won’t be happy. Last season was different, now they need to start. Hayward as well. we’ll have chemistry problems, if brad **** the lineup again. Smart can be the 6th man, glue guy like igoudala.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#47 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:03 am

Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kanter seem the likely starters.

Smart as 6th man probably getting 30+ minutes a game and probably finishing a lot of closer games because he can play the 1 and the 2, and..... "winning plays".

After that, who knows? At the moment I would guess Semi and Theis are getting a lot of minutes, and then the rookies and Williams sprinkled through depending on development.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#48 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:30 am

Smart's versatility will always make him ideal for the 6th man role. He can come in for PG, SG, and SF. Brad has even played him at PF before. Being able to come in for anyone lets Brad adjust to foul trouble and or guys who aren't handling their match-ups well. If Brown comes off the bench, Brad has far less guys he can sub him in for. Hayward could come off the bench, but realistically we aren't going to be a good team next year unless Hayward either back to Utah Hayward, or traded in a package for an all-star, so it makes no sense to try to make him a utility 6th man instead of trying to feature him.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#49 » by ddb » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:37 am

If Hayward comes off the bench I think I'll puke and completely lose all faith in Brad

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#50 » by Triple7 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:11 am

Ascrilas wrote:Voted Hayward.

He's the best at creating shots for himself and his teammates amongst these three, I could see him leading our second unit. Besides, I want as much defense as possible to help with the two liabilities in Walker and Kanter.

Starting Five: Walker - Smart - Brown - Tatum - Kanter
Bench: Hayward, Semi, Time Lord, Theis, Wanamaker (hope they're both back), Yabu, our rookie gang/some vet mins

That’s a very small lineup. 6’1 pg, 6’4 sg, 6’8 pf. We need to start hayward and build up his confidence. Our hope is for him to return to pre-injury form. That will help us in long run and increase his value as well.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#51 » by GregB » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:37 pm

Smart. He can run the show off the bench.

Brown is fine defensively in starting unit. But we need Hayward’s playmaking with starters to make Kembas job easier with Horford gone.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#52 » by Gant » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:41 pm

GregB wrote:Smart. He can run the show off the bench.

Brown is fine defensively in starting unit. But we need Hayward’s playmaking with starters to make Kembas job easier with Horford gone.

I Agree. The 6th man likely is Smart because he's an effective point guard. Two vet point guards left, only one new one arrived.

If they start Smart, he and Kemba are paired minute-wise to begin. That would mean they expect one of Wanamaker or the point guard rookies to be a regular rotation player.

They probably don't.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,276

Post#53 » by brackdan70 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:50 pm

I initially voted Hayward as 6th man but the more I think about it I am with the Majority and would go Smart. Egos are an issue whether we like it or not. Smart will be ok coming off the bench

Hayward will bounce back strong I believe and with one true big starting we need his size.

Feeling pretty good about the team
1. We will improve at PG...yep
2. Improve at wing with Jaylen, Tatum a year more experienced and Hayward healthier.
3.obviously we lose a little up front without Horf and Baynes. Kanter can give us offense, but we lose D, and maybe spacing, as well as Horfords fundamentals and passing. Kanter brings a rebounding element that we haven’t had for a long time though. If Rob Williams takes a step then we might replace some of that lost Defense

Moving on from Morris and Rozier are positives IMO.
I like our rookies but will see how they progress

But I digress, yep I am on board with Smart off the bench, though I expect he gets nearly 30mpg
Sign here
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:56 pm

Our starting offense flowed best when the ball went through Horford.

So even if Kyrie-to-Kemba is a lateral move.... you need to address the loss of a key playmaker. Hayward is the only guy with the skillset to pick up that slack.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#55 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:16 pm

24istheLAW wrote:

So even if Kyrie-to-Kemba is a lateral move.... you need to address the loss of a key playmaker. Hayward is the only guy with the skillset to pick up that slack.

There's also the idea Hayward is also a huge contract that we need to rehab in value (and see if he's still starter-grade on both ends). Harder to do that if he doesn't have a featured scoring role.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#56 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:59 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:

There's also the idea Hayward is also a huge contract that we need to rehab in value (and see if he's still starter-grade on both ends). Harder to do that if he doesn't have a featured scoring role.

Not really. If he's playing well they should want to keep him anyway and if he's not, then he's not especially tradeable. But he has skills they really need here, particularly with Al gone. It wouldn't be great form to trade him after he came as a max FA and then went through the gruesome injury. Also, this fetish to find and field only players within 24 months of Tatum's age is silly: no teams win it all in the NBA without a good mix of savvy vets anyway.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by 24istheLAW » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:14 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:

If his game recovers to the point of having trade value AND the Jays mature enough to the point that we don't need him as much/want to move him, I'd look for a trade. I just find that confluence of events very unlikely.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#58 » by BfB » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:38 am

This will be determined in camp

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#59 » by djFan71 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:55 am

BfB wrote:This will be determined in camp

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Was thinking the same reading all the replies. We have no idea what Hayward we're getting, who fits best with Kemba, how the bigs will play and affect things at the 4 spot, etc. All I want is for everything to be earned.

I kinda hate that we still have this question again this year, and can’t play our best 5 guys at the same time. But, it’s where we’re at.

Return to Boston Celtics