Emmanuel Mudiay

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Re: WOJ: Emmanuel Mudiay signs with Jazz 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:56 am

KDBG wrote:C'mon, this is a damn good signing. A 23 year old athletic guard for the minimum. Someone that they obviously want to try and develop. I remember when Mudiay was considered a potential #1 overall pick. He may just need some proper development. Zanik is killing it.

He's not really athletic. He's a bit slow, and isn't all that springy (can still dunk, of course) but he is very strong and pretty crafty in how he gets his buckets. Don't live or hate the signing, but perfectly comfortable having him on the bench.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Post#22 » by Charlie_S » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:25 am

Low-risk, high-reward kind of deal. I'm not saying it's a certainty that he's going to pan out but Mudiay still has some potential.

In Denver he was asked to do too much too early in his development and then he got replaced by a more talented and polished player. With the Knicks he finally did show some improvement, although it's hard to gauge the full scope of it since the Knicks were so awful. In a structured team like the Jazz he will be asked to play by his strengths as a complementary player. It might work, it might not but it is definitely the kind of bet worth making, at this price.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#23 » by stitches » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:47 am

I don't expect much from him, but this feels like a good shot to take on a young player with pedigree that might be ready to take a step forward.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#24 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:14 pm

How in the world was he compared to John Wall coming out? Far less athleticism. I see more Bledsoe in the small sample of highlights I've watched. Seems to use his strength against weaker guards. Likes the mid range a bit too much. But stoked we're taking on a reclamation project. Helps that he's a big guard 6'5 with a 6'7 wingspan. Defensive potential. Hopefully our development team can turn out a gem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#25 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:55 pm

CAE15 wrote:How in the world was he compared to John Wall coming out? Far less athleticism. I see more Bledsoe in the small sample of highlights I've watched. Seems to use his strength against weaker guards. Likes the mid range a bit too much. But stoked we're taking on a reclamation project. Helps that he's a big guard 6'5 with a 6'7 wingspan. Defensive potential. Hopefully our development team can turn out a gem.

Have you seen Bledsoe play basketball? He's 6'0 and one of the most athletic players in the league :lol:
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#26 » by Tom349 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:58 pm

If Mudiay is willing to buy into the team and Quins coaching I can see him getting some serious back up minutes at the PG spot alongside Exum and Ingles. His skillset is one that could be put to great effect against smaller back up guards and playing alongside Exum the two of them could push the pace and score in transition. I could easily envision him playing 18 minutes a night (Conley playing 30) as Quin will give him the opportunity to get his own against mismatches, so as long as he buys in to share the ball and play defense the opportunity is there for the taking.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#27 » by dr0welf » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:03 pm

Mudiay seems to have never developed once he came into the league. The player you get now is close to the player he was coming in. I don't know if it is poor coaching or if it is on him for not really developing; probably a mixture of both. I do think the potential is their to be a decent floor general. We will see what Q's staff can do with him. Might be a diamond in the rough.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#28 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:35 pm

KqWIN wrote:
CAE15 wrote:How in the world was he compared to John Wall coming out? Far less athleticism. I see more Bledsoe in the small sample of highlights I've watched. Seems to use his strength against weaker guards. Likes the mid range a bit too much. But stoked we're taking on a reclamation project. Helps that he's a big guard 6'5 with a 6'7 wingspan. Defensive potential. Hopefully our development team can turn out a gem.

Have you seen Bledsoe play basketball? He's 6'0 and one of the most athletic players in the league
Respectfully disagree.. He's an athletic guard sure but I don't liken him to what Wall was pre injury. But Bledsoe often relies on his body control and strength to score. Similar to some of how Mudiay scores. Though comparing him to modern day Bledsoe might not be fair considering I'm talking about pre injury Wall.

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#29 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:07 pm

dr0welf wrote:Mudiay seems to have never developed once he came into the league. The player you get now is close to the player he was coming in. I don't know if it is poor coaching or if it is on him for not really developing; probably a mixture of both. I do think the potential is their to be a decent floor general. We will see what Q's staff can do with him. Might be a diamond in the rough.

Mudiay has gotten much better since he came into the league, he was just really horrible when he came in. Before last year, he wasn't close to an NBA caliber player.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#30 » by zero24gravity » Wed Jul 3, 2019 6:30 pm

pickIBL wrote:This will be good for his career. He will play, and will surprise. To me this means exum is being shopped. Raul could still be back.

I don't buy this at all. Exum will be on the roster come October. You can never have enough athletic wings to throw at people defensively, and also fills in fairly well if (when?) there are injuries.

Mudiay is young & could still be developed to be a really nice player.

The team needed depth, and this move got them that. He's flawed, but very serviceable. Much better option than relying on GLeague/2nd round picks. It's not like he was a 10mpg player with tons of DNP's. He's averaged 25mpg & 12ppg for his career (granted on bad teams). I don't see him coming to Utah unless he expects to be a rotation regular. His shooting issues aren't nearly as glaring with all the other Jazz shooting additions this offseason.

The Jazz just signed two double digit scoring/boarderline starters for the vet min. That's some serious GM'ing!
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#31 » by sipclip » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:49 pm

sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#32 » by sipclip » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:52 pm

He has a smoothness to his game that I really like. I have a feeling that the older he gets and the more the game slows down for him the better he will become. Also for a guy that isn't a good shooter he has a decent shot. Nothing like Rubio and Exum who are cringe worthy most of the time when they shoot.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#33 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:14 pm

My guess is Mudiay and Exum will be competing for the same minutes. Exum might be in a different minutes market for his defense. But they are both your bigger combo guard, we probably only need some minutes out of one of them.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#34 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:36 am

I read that Mudiay's agent encouraged him to sign here because the Jazz have a good development program for young players. It's nice that the Jazz organization has that reputation now. The first thing the Jazz need to teach Mudiay is to play defense. Go Jazz!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#35 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:09 pm

zero24gravity wrote:
pickIBL wrote:This will be good for his career. He will play, and will surprise. To me this means exum is being shopped. Raul could still be back.

I don't buy this at all. Exum will be on the roster come October. You can never have enough athletic wings to throw at people defensively, and also fills in fairly well if (when?) there are injuries.

The team needed depth, and this move got them that. He's flawed, but very serviceable. Much better option than relying on GLeague/2nd round picks. It's not like he was a 10mpg player with tons of DNP's. He's averaged 25mpg & 12ppg for his career (granted on bad teams). I don't see him coming to Utah unless he expects to be a rotation regular. His shooting issues aren't nearly as glaring with all the other Jazz shooting additions this offseason.

The Jazz just signed two double digit scoring/boarderline starters for the vet min. That's some serious GM'ing!

Tony Jones saying jazz looking to make another move. Hmmmm what contract do they have to move?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Luigi
General Manager

Post#36 » by Luigi » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:43 pm

pickIBL wrote:Tony Jones saying jazz looking to make another move. Hmmmm what contract do they have to move?

Can you link the tweet?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#37 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:46 pm

On the realgm wiretap
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#38 » by dautjazz » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:02 pm

KDBG wrote:I just realized Mudiay was drafted by Denver... he about to become an all-star now.

Yup lol. Gobert, Mitchell and now Mudiay :-P
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#39 » by stitches » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:15 pm

pickIBL wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Tony Jones saying jazz looking to make another move. Hmmmm what contract do they have to move?

Exum... for Iggy? Who says no?
Luigi
General Manager

Post#40 » by Luigi » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:23 pm

stitches wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:

Exum... for Iggy? Who says no?

Probably Iggy. I get the feeling he doesn't like us.

Return to Utah Jazz