ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Sign DeAndre Jordan ($40 million/4 years)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,366

Re: Nets Sign DeAndre Jordan ($40 million/4 years) 

Post#61 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:28 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Also, everyone go run and google DeAndre Jordan stats and tell me what you peep. Is anyone else stunned by 2 counting stats? Icing on the cake.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

He average 11 & 12 with 3 ASSISTS .. I had no idea he was that good of a passer, that surprised me. And 1 block on 28 minutes between Dallas and Knicks. He also shot 77% from the free throw line after shooting in the 40s for most of his career.

This dude is well worth 10M a year, I don't know how ppl can say he's overpaid. I'm sure we can get at the very least 2 good years out of him. Another thing, he rarely misses games, has not played less than 66 games in any season. This is a great acquisition . I won't be surprised if KA has him draining 3s next year.

Yup! The assists and more importantly the free throw shooting! The last 2 years he went up to a 58% ft shooter, then last year he was 68% in Dallas and 77% in 19 games with the Knix. He's most certainly been working on it.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#62 » by jbeachboy » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:18 am

which areas has deandre jordan declined?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#63 » by Rich Rane » Wed Jul 3, 2019 12:21 am

Not for nothing, but the guy pretty much recruited for us.
Marc Stein wrote:The New York Times first reported last week that the Nets had also begun to heavily recruit the veteran center DeAndre Jordan, one of Durant’s closest friends, to form an incoming trio with Durant and Irving. Jordan spent the last two months of the 2018-19 season as a Knick, but two people briefed on the negotiations said Jordan also was convinced in recent days that Barclays Center would be a more hospitable backdrop for Durant and Irving than Madison Square Garden and joined the chorus promoting the Nets.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/sports/basketball/durant-kyrie-brooklyn-nets.html

Shows again how much the Knicks franchise has falllen.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,826

Post#64 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:20 am

I know he isn't exactly prime DJ but his numbers are pretty damn solid for a dude who knick fans call "washed".
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
FrenchNBAFan
Junior
And1: 95

Post#65 » by FrenchNBAFan » Wed Jul 3, 2019 5:08 pm

I've watched him to watch Doncic when he was at Dallas ( we say at, in or on ?? )
and he is not bad he's not washed as people say
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#66 » by kamaze » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:03 am

FrenchNBAFan wrote:I've watched him to watch Doncic when he was at Dallas ( we say at, in or on ?? )
and he is not bad he's not washed as people say

You would say "I've watched him to watch Doncic when he was in Dallas" your English is good.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#67 » by kamaze » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:08 am

Paradise wrote:

Definitely an upgrade to my man Easy Ed.

Very excited to have him on the team!! 8-)
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,765

Post#68 » by Karate Diop » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:37 pm

Can someone explain the room and gloom DeAndre is cooked statements that others have been throwing out there?

Looking at the advanced stats I'm not seeing it... Granted he will be 31 this month so the last v1-2 years may not be great, but for this year and next? Barring injury it looks like he should have a positive impact.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#69 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:44 pm

Karate Diop wrote:Can someone explain the room and gloom DeAndre is cooked statements that others have been throwing out there?

Looking at the advanced stats I'm not seeing it... Granted he will be 31 this month so the last v1-2 years may not be great, but for this year and next? Barring injury it looks like he should have a positive impact.
I think his defensive impact is nowhere near the same, and he has developed a bit of a reputation for padding his rebounding stats (taking rebounds from teammates). But a lot of that also has to be looked through context. He was on two bad teams this year, especially the Knicks, who were the league's worst team. I think there's a solid chance that his effort and defensive impact would improve on an actually good team. Although on the other hand, he's about to be 31 and he's a player who has relied on his athleticism his entire career. Like you said, I still think that we can get 1-2 solid seasons out of him. Not sure about years 3 & 4 though. But at $10 mill/year, he shouldn't be that hard to move.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#70 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:05 pm

I'm looking at his advance numbers and I'm wondering how is this guy supposed to be a negative in our line up?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordade01.html

How many times did we give up extra possessions because of an inability to properly protect the defensive glass?

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#71 » by Claud » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm looking at his advance numbers and I'm wondering how is this guy supposed to be a negative in our line up?

How many times did we give up extra possessions because of an inability to properly protect the defensive glass?

Not expecting prime DJ but he should be more motivated next season which means he could be reborn in BK similar to how other vets went from trash to rotation guys during previous seasons in BK.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#72 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:27 pm

While advanced numbers are better descriptive stats than box score numbers, they still need to be supplemented by tape in order for us to see whether he’s a net negative or positive.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#73 » by Paradise » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:09 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:While advanced numbers are better descriptive stats than box score numbers, they still need to be supplemented by tape in order for us to see whether he’s a net negative or positive.

16 Pts, 19 Rebs vs Wolves Including defensive tape.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#74 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:27 pm

Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:While advanced numbers are better descriptive stats than box score numbers, they still need to be supplemented by tape in order for us to see whether he’s a net negative or positive.

A sample size of even 10 games, let alone just one, of highlights does not qualify or constitute an objective analysis.

I’m not saying DJ will definitely be bad. But I do think we need to be honest and accept the realities of his decline. A revival to LAC playing ability is a hope, and far from a guarantee.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#75 » by gigantes » Thu Jul 4, 2019 9:55 pm

So... who's going to be the third center now, given that Claxton is raw, rail-thin, and presumably headed to the Gatorade League?

Big Ed seems like a pretty big loss to me at this point. That rebounding, oh my.

Not to mention it seems like PF is currently thin as well. RHJ and Dudley were not exactly ideal, but at least they were versatile character guys who could guard both big spots if necessary. (actually I guess Ronbae isn't technically gone yet)

Do you think there are more signings / trades to come, or am I overlooking people...?
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#76 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:52 pm

gigantes wrote:So... who's going to be the third center now, given that Claxton is raw, rail-thin, and presumably headed to the Gatorade League?

Big Ed seems like a pretty big loss to me at this point. That rebounding, oh my.

Not to mention it seems like PF is currently thin as well. RHJ and Dudley were not exactly ideal, but at least they were versatile character guys who could guard both big spots if necessary. (actually I guess Ronbae isn't technically gone yet)

Do you think there are more signings / trades to come, or am I overlooking people...?
Alan Williams will be third string center. I'm not worried about third string center though. Anything can happen, but Jarrett Allen & Deandre Jordan both have a really good fitness record. Both of them have hardly missed games. Deandre Jordan played 69 total games last season, but he was a DNP for the Knicks towards the end of the season, as they focused on developing Mitchell.

Our PF rotation is a bigger worry. Right now it looks like a rotation of Prince/Kurucs/Chandler. But Prince is definitely a natural SF, not sure how he'll handle playing minutes at PF.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#77 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:52 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm looking at his advance numbers and I'm wondering how is this guy supposed to be a negative in our line up?

To keep it real, I feel like he gets unnecessary hate because he played with the Golden boy Luka and took some of his rebounds.

His defensive impact - even in his prime - was overrated but now people are acting like he's a scrub. Having him as a backup or a 20ish minute player is a luxury.

It's not like we're signing him to anchor our team and play 38 minutes.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#78 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:55 am

Claud wrote:

Not expecting prime DJ but he should be more motivated next season which means he could be reborn in BK similar to how other vets went from trash to rotation guys during previous seasons in BK.

Plus with Brooklyn's elite training team he'll be probably in the best condition he's been in a few years.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#79 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:56 am

MGrand15 wrote:

To keep it real, I feel like he gets unnecessary hate because he played with the Golden boy Luka and took some of his rebounds.

His defensive impact - even in his prime - was overrated but now people are acting like he's a scrub. Having him as a backup or a 20ish minute player is a luxury.

It's not like we're signing him to anchor our team and play 38 minutes.

Exactly. Having Jarrett Allen at 20 and DeAndre Jordan at 30 is a luxury that I will enjoy to the fullest.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#80 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:58 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Paradise wrote:

A sample size of even 10 games, let alone just one, of highlights does not qualify or constitute an objective analysis.

I’m not saying DJ will definitely be bad. But I do think we need to be honest and accept the realities of his decline. A revival to LAC playing ability is a hope, and far from a guarantee.

I don't think anyone should realistically expect LAC DeAndre Jordan. Brooklyn DeAndre Jordan should be more than a serviceable player at his age.

People are talking about this dude like he's 36 years old.

Return to Brooklyn Nets