WCS incoming per Marcus Thompson

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 170

Re: WCS incoming per Marcus Thompson 

Post#61 » by DaHef » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:41 pm

The interview told me 2 things.
He's not crazy about a bunch of stupid questions.
Ron Adams is going to earn his money with this one.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#62 » by Samurai » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:07 am

DaHef wrote:The interview told me 2 things.

After listening to that interview, Ron Adams is going to beg the Lakers for a second interview....
DaHef
Pro Prospect
And1: 170

Post#63 » by DaHef » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:18 am

Samurai wrote:
DaHef wrote:The interview told me 2 things.

After listening to that interview, Ron Adams is going to beg the Lakers for a second interview....

I forgot about that. I hope he isn't waiting on Kawhi also. That would be rich.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#64 » by City of Trees » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:25 am

The reporters explaining what scouting meant was hilarious
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#65 » by Coxy » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:31 am

beb0p wrote:
Coxy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Hi guys.

Willie is on record stating he doesn't like to block shots because he injures his hand doing it. That also bleeds into his poor rim protection numbers so don't expect much their either.

He is a great rim runner but he wants to be more.

Any questions ask away.

Hi dude.

1. How do you think he'll respond to Draymond berating him and kicking him in the nuts for every time he doesn't set an A+ screen, or box out with authority, or rotate on defence at a championship level?

2. How do you think he'll respond to Kerr benching for weeks for not rotating on defence the right way?

3. How bad is his weed intake?

1. You don't understand, WCS is not going to take s*** from anyone. He is a mixture of grand delusion and freak of nature. In his mind, he is prime Dwight Howard + Porzingas + Anthony Davis. He is better than Draymond Green in every way so Green better not mess with him. True story: after George Karl benched him for soft defense, he went on a rant and called his coach stupid for not playing one of the best defenders in the league. This was his rookie year and he was nowhere near the best of anything. And still isn't.

2. See above regarding his reaction to George Karl benching.

3. His weed is not the problem, it's his head. He is delusional and he doesn't give a f***. His philosophy is to play just hard enough to get by. You will never find yourself saying, "Wow, WCS is really leaving everything on the floor tonight!" He doesn't like to hustle or draw contact in general. If a small guard just happens to leave a floater in the air he may block it or if a missed shot happens to fall within his area and there is no other players around him, he will grab the rebound. But otherwise, he is not out there looking to block or rebound, especially if it involves a crowd or good positioning. His finishing is very Andris Beidrins-like - he can throw down open dunks/layups but anything more nuance he will likely miss the shot. He is a surprisingly good midrange shooter, but he is not consistent. He is just a freak of nature that does just enough to win/lose you games. When he is engaged he can be a beast, but often times he wasn't. He is not a bad player and not a bad guy, he is just different. He is not really concern about stats, wins, or loses; it seems. He is a misunderstood artist forced to express his art through basketball. There are times when he was playing that you get the feeling he'd rather be at home painting.

I'm glad the Kings are done with him. If the Warriors get more out of him, power to them. For the vet min, he is properly not a bad signing. Just keep in him he is not the typical vet min guy - instead of an aging or less talented player who plays hard, WCS is the opposite - a freak of nature who sometimes don't see the point of hustling.

So, Larry Sanders like then.

If he turns up with this attitude, he'll get chewed out immediately, and will likely be cut after a month. That sort of fluffy effort won't fly with us, especially going into our new arena next year, in our "Point to prove" season.

I'm hoping for the best, wary of the past, and heeding your words. I'll have my pitch fork at the ready should he decide to be a plonker.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#66 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:11 am

City of Trees wrote:
Coxy wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Ha

1. Willie is actually a good guy. If the criticism is valid he probably listens.

2. Willie believes he is a $100M player. He says he is the same as Porzingis but hasn't had the opportunity to show it yet . If you bench him he will go on a 4 minute free spirit type rant to the media.

3. Supposedly there is a documentary of him while at Kentucky. The weed use was high, allegedly. WCS is an artist, he draws and paints a lot... So yeah lol

So.............. Larry Sanders. You're telling me we have signed Larry Sanders.

Wonderful. :curse:
You decide. I really recommend watching this interview and others of his. Free spirit indeed.

I don't have a problem with that interview. Everything he said made sense. His answers were thoughtful enough.
He might blossom with the Warriors.

The Warriors board seems to have almost forgot that the Warriors signed WCS.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#67 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:29 am

WCS is a smart guy who plays hard and plays to win. I don't think anybody forgot he joined the team. It's just that people are stuck on who is going to replace KD and the Warriors answer has been, to most, underwhelming.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#68 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 1:53 am

So here's a question regarding Willie.....Does he have the mental makeup to take the constant barking and berating from Draymond Green?

Stein seems like a really nice happy to lucky type of dude. More chill cat, then junk yard dog. So at first it will be everything is great, and fans will love the fact that we have a center who can score.

But as the season goes on and Willie misses defensive assignments, or doesn't run back hard on defense and gets beat, will he be able to handle Draymond coming correct? Same for Kerr.....he has a very short leash with those types of mistakes, and if it becomes a constant, then Chill Cat, might become Scaredy Cat.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
”
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#69 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:12 am

Wanted to resurrect this thread on WCS to talk about his defense - or lack thereof. I understand that he has received praise for his ability to defend the PnR. That's great, and after we all saw Boogie struggle defending smaller players on the perimeter last season, I am glad the team recognized this as a weakness and sought to fix it.

But there is more to defense than just defending the PnR. Here are some of the less savory aspects of WCS from last season:

Of the 73 centers who played at least 40 games, WCS ranked 57th in opponent's points in the paint (allowing a staggering 29.1 points in the paint/game), his block percentage was 64th, his defensive rating was 52nd, and his 7.9 opponent second chance points was "good" for 60th place. He has the tools to be a better rim protector - 7-3 wingspan and a 37 max vertical coming out of college - but his actual production was worse than mediocre. He clearly has the size, length and athleticism to be a quality defender; the question is whether he can add the mindset and bbIQ to actually be one for us?
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#70 » by killmongrel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:05 am

Samurai wrote:Wanted to resurrect this thread on WCS to talk about his defense - or lack thereof. I understand that he has received praise for his ability to defend the PnR. That's great, and after we all saw Boogie struggle defending smaller players on the perimeter last season, I am glad the team recognized this as a weakness and sought to fix it.

But there is more to defense than just defending the PnR. Here are some of the less savory aspects of WCS from last season:

Of the 73 centers who played at least 40 games, WCS ranked 57th in opponent's points in the paint (allowing a staggering 29.1 points in the paint/game), his block percentage was 64th, his defensive rating was 52nd, and his 7.9 opponent second chance points was "good" for 60th place. He has the tools to be a better rim protector - 7-3 wingspan and a 37 max vertical coming out of college - but his actual production was worse than mediocre. He clearly has the size, length and athleticism to be a quality defender; the question is whether he can add the mindset and bbIQ to actually be one for us?

I don't think WCS is the homerun some people made him out to be, but damn, for the vet. minimum, I couldn't think of a better center the Warriors could have signed. Going to be a matter of waiting to see if he can live up to his potential on the Warriors like McGee did.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#71 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:02 pm

killmongrel wrote:
Samurai wrote:Wanted to resurrect this thread on WCS to talk about his defense - or lack thereof. I understand that he has received praise for his ability to defend the PnR. That's great, and after we all saw Boogie struggle defending smaller players on the perimeter last season, I am glad the team recognized this as a weakness and sought to fix it.

I don't think WCS is the homerun some people made him out to be, but damn, for the vet. minimum, I couldn't think of a better center the Warriors could have signed. Going to be a matter of waiting to see if he can live up to his potential on the Warriors like McGee did.

I think he'll well out perform his contract and McGee. Anything beyond that is a bonus.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#72 » by Left*My*Heart » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:00 pm

WCS will benefit from Draymond kicking him in the balls, when he blows assignments or starts playing lazily. I see Looney starting over him and that might be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
kb02
Bench Warmer
And1: 631

Post#73 » by kb02 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:43 pm

For the minimum, it's a great signing.

WCS will look like a steal, potential all NBA player one night then look like he's running half speed and don't give a F the next night.

He's onto his second contract at a much lower rate than he thinks he is worth. He just had some in direct off the court drama, which, IMO, is related to his one night look like a star, the next night look like a bum performance issues. The company you keep will bring you up or drag you down. Hope he figures it out, because dude is leaving millions on the table.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#74 » by Bayside » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:21 am

kb02 wrote:For the minimum, it's a great signing.

WCS will look like a steal, potential all NBA player one night then look like he's running half speed and don't give a F the next night.

He's onto his second contract at a much lower rate than he thinks he is worth. He just had some in direct off the court drama, which, IMO, is related to his one night look like a star, the next night look like a bum performance issues. The company you keep will bring you up or drag you down. Hope he figures it out, because dude is leaving millions on the table.

Just curious about what you mean about off court drama? And how that relates to him taking nights off.

Thanks
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#75 » by killmongrel » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:56 am

It's definitely a great signing regardless of the inconsistency he might have a reputation for. I will say, he might see this as a big fork in the road for his career like a lot of other players as well. So if there was a team he should view as a make it or break it type of situation, I would figure it's the Warriors. Like you said, the guy left millions of dollars on the table to sign with the Warriors. Guy could have gotten around 5m/2 years easily with another team. But he wanted to play with GS. I figure that means something in terms of his mindset. His availability was pretty much convenient for the Warriors.
kb02
Bench Warmer

Post#76 » by kb02 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:29 am

Bayside wrote:

Just curious about what you mean about off court drama? And how that relates to him taking nights off.

Thanks

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article234549147.html
kb02
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by kb02 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:32 am

killmongrel wrote:

It's definitely a great signing regardless of the inconsistency he might have a reputation for. I will say, he might see this as a big fork in the road for his career like a lot of other players as well. So if there was a team he should view as a make it or break it type of situation, I would figure it's the Warriors. Like you said, the guy left millions of dollars on the table to sign with the Warriors. Guy could have gotten around 5m/2 years easily with another team. But he wanted to play with GS. I figure that means something in terms of his mindset. His availability was pretty much convenient for the Warriors.

Had he had doubled his motor and doubled his emphasis on defense, dude would’ve gotten Harrison Barnes’ contract from the Kings. Damn shame. More physical talent than the 2018 unicorn, Deandre Ayton.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,783

Post#78 » by floppymoose » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 am

kb02 wrote:
Bayside wrote:

Thanks

Did Willie sublet the place after coming to GS? I mean, he wasn't one of the 5 people living there, was he? What NBA player shares a place with 4 guys in Sacramento?
kb02
Bench Warmer

Post#79 » by kb02 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:13 pm

floppymoose wrote:
kb02 wrote:
Bayside wrote:

Thanks

Did Willie sublet the place after coming to GS? I mean, he wasn't one of the 5 people living there, was he? What NBA player shares a place with 4 guys in Sacramento?

Don't know whether he was subletting it. Most young NBA players have friends from back home, college, and local hangers on living with them in some capacity.
Bayside
Rookie
And1: 610

Post#80 » by Bayside » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks, I remember reading something on this before. Seems like the media for once is not getting heaps of info to leak and these guys actually might get a fair trial instead of being convicted before hand. The Kansas connection could validate your thoughts on a social connection. Druggies and drunks are hard to deal with. I hope that is not what he is going to bring.

Return to Golden State Warriors