ImageImageImage

Stefanski did one helluva job so far !!!

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Re: Stefanski did one helluva job so far !!! 

Post#21 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:59 am

Ed has done a magnificent job with adding depth, making possibly one of the best benches in the NBA. Rose, Morris, Frazier, Svi, Snell >>>>> Smith, Calderon, Robinson, Leuer, Pachulia.

however the main problem still exists and that is scoring consistency behind Blake. at this point all we can do is hope and pray that 5 things happen.
1) Reggie has an all star caliber season
2) Kennard takes that next step
3) Svi and/or Khyri breakout and contribute
4) everyone stays healthy
5) the bench brings it each and every game
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#22 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:04 am

Funny thing about the Snell trade:

If we knew 3 months ago that Jon Boy was gonna be dealt for Snell and 4 2nds everyone would have loved it.

Seems people got super attached to #30 over the 48 hours we had it yet

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Great
Bench Warmer
And1: 65

Post#23 » by Great » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:12 am

Only as strong as it’s weakest link.

SG/SF is the legit question mark.
Svi, Kennard, Thomas, and Snell have to make jumpers consistently.

Louis King will likely be needed as well.

These five players play well it’s a 55 win team.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#24 » by thesack12 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:15 am

SamFlow wrote:
thesack12 wrote:The Snell trade and the corresponding moves in the draft bring the grading curve down quite a bit.

I'll give him he has made some solid free agent signings. All of them are sound, the Frazier move I actually like the best. As somebody else said earlier, this FO is the opposite of the previous one. Bad in the trade market/good in the free agent market. Well good in free agency this summer anyways, last summer not so much.

The Snell trade was GREAT. How do you think you can get a SF with good D and Can hit the three for what we had to offer? That was the best case scenario.

Sounds very reminiscent of what most of this board was saying after the Robinson signing last summer.

People putting way too much stock into 3pt%. Losing mind of the fact that it Snell isn't a high volume shooter and he had a TON of talent around him so defenses were ok with him getting open looks. Also, nevermind the fact that Snell impacts the game in very few facets.

I would of much rather brought back a guy like Ennis for something like 2 years/$7mil than have Snell for 2 years/$24 mil.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#25 » by DTP » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:18 am

Can't lie, actually very happy outside of the small forward position. If only we could find an upgrade there, I'd be very happy. I'm hoping at some point, we're able to turn Galloway into a starting caliber small forward.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#26 » by Spider156 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:32 am

Snakebites wrote:I mean, all we're doing is low risk moves to try to get the best out of the core we have that we clearly can't move.

The real test comes in 2 years when we will have a clean-ish slate and need to figure out what we're doing with it. Until then we haven't really done much.

I think it can definitely move and I have a bet that fans are going to be really impatient seeing Jackson and Drummond play together yet again. What if we made our big splash on the trade deadline? That's when our expirings are going to have full value. Drummond might be viewed as an expiring as well. Big things can happen and are bound to happen before 2 years.
Defense wins championships
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#27 » by Canadafan » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:47 am

DTP wrote:Can't lie, actually very happy outside of the small forward position. If only we could find an upgrade there, I'd be very happy. I'm hoping at some point, we're able to turn Galloway into a starting caliber small forward.

My thoughts exactly. Who though is the question
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#28 » by The_Irony » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:02 am

DCintheD wrote:What has he done other than not overpay for washed up players?

You say that like its a bad thing

The last regime overpaid for BAD players

Those leuer galloway and boban signings are a sign of horrible executive intelligence..one of the worst offseasons in pistons history .

On the flipside you have stefanski doing much more with less.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Post#29 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:30 am

The_Irony wrote:

Those leuer galloway and boban signings are a sign of horrible executive intelligence..one of the worst offseasons in pistons history .

Absolutely. SVG gave longterm deals to guys he wanted to fill out his rotation in the short term. He had no long term vision, even if we're not taking into account how awful those players ended up being for us.

I realize we're not setting the bar very high here, but at the very least Stefanski seems to be planning things out well from a salary cap perspective. Snell, Morris, Frazier, and Rose all expire at the same time as Dre. There's a clear game plan there. We never had one of those under SVG.

As I said before, though, they still haven't done much yet- but at least they're not doing anything to actively screw up our future. No traded first rounders (30th doesn't count), no long term deals to non-future pieces who don't move the needle.

They've shown restraint so far- and at this point that's all that can really be expected. This group inherited a mess. Doesn't mean they're great though. We won't know if they're even good until they actually have some real flexibility to work with.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#30 » by A_dub06 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:01 am

Snakebites wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

Absolutely. SVG gave longterm deals to guys he wanted to fill out his rotation in the short term. He had no long term vision, even if we're not taking into account how awful those players ended up being for us.

I realize we're not setting the bar very high here, but at the very least Stefanski seems to be planning things out well from a salary cap perspective. Snell, Morris, Frazier, and Rose all expire at the same time as Dre. There's a clear game plan there. We never had one of those under SVG.

As I said before, though, they still haven't done much yet- but at least they're not doing anything to actively screw up our future. No traded first rounders (30th doesn't count), no long term deals to non-future pieces who don't move the needle.

They've shown restraint so far- and at this point that's all that can really be expected. This group inherited a mess. Doesn't mean they're great though. We won't know if they're even good until they actually have some real flexibility to work with.

I agree with everything you said outside of trading the 30th pick. I have no care in the slightest for our second round picks, and I’m still salty we passed up the chance of drafting Bol or even Porter but mainly the former. I sadly think I would have been grinning from ear to ear until the season starts, thinking what could be on 3-4 years time. Instead we have 2 guys that probably won’t ever stick with the team and 2 more late 2nd picks if my memory is correct on what’s left.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#31 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:09 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

I agree with everything you said outside of trading the 30th pick. I have no care in the slightest for our second round picks, and I’m still salty we passed up the chance of drafting Bol or even Porter but mainly the former. I sadly think I would have been grinning from ear to ear until the season starts, thinking what could be on 3-4 years time. Instead we have 2 guys that probably won’t ever stick with the team and 2 more late 2nd picks if my memory is correct on what’s left.

You're upset that we turned down the opportunity to take one of two guys who the entire league passed on.

The difference between a first rounder and an early second is entirely arbitrary.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by A_dub06 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:38 am

Snakebites wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Absolutely. SVG gave longterm deals to guys he wanted to fill out his rotation in the short term. He had no long term vision, even if we're not taking into account how awful those players ended up being for us.

You're upset that we turned down the opportunity to take one of two guys who the entire league passed on.

The difference between a first rounder and an early second is entirely arbitrary.

Correct. To be clear, I would’ve been fine with trading the 30th for 4 2nds provided we used Sirvydis pick on Bol instead. Bol dropped for a reason, but at #37 who cares if the players busts when the ceiling is that high? I want to have hope for this team, no more of this battle for the 8th seed rubbish. Drafting Bol would have given me a level of hope I haven’t felt for a very long time.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#33 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:43 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Correct. To be clear, I would’ve been fine with trading the 30th for 4 2nds provided we used Sirvydis pick on Bol instead. Bol dropped for a reason, but at #37 who cares if the players busts when the ceiling is that high? I want to have hope for this team, no more of this battle for the 8th seed rubbish. Drafting Bol would have given me a level of hope I haven’t felt for a very long time.

Then be upset with our draft choices. Not the trade, as the trade put us in a position to get a similar player without the same baggage of guaranteed money.

I was annoyed at first too because it seemed like the trade itself didn't end up amounting to much. They made the move because they didn't like who was there at 30 more than who was there at 37. You can disagree with that if you want, but at the end of the day your issue isn't with trading the first rounder, is it?
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by A_dub06 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:53 am

Snakebites wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:You're upset that we turned down the opportunity to take one of two guys who the entire league passed on.

Then be upset with our draft choices. Not the trade, as the trade put us in a position to get a similar player without the same baggage of guaranteed money.

I was annoyed at first too because it seemed like the trade itself didn't end up amounting to much. They made the move because they didn't like who was there at 30 more than who was there at 37. You can disagree with that if you want, but at the end of the day your issue isn't with trading the first rounder, is it?

When you put it like that yes, our draft choices after #15 are what I find frustrating. But being perfectly honest should we have taken Bol at 30 (or to a lesser extent Porter) and called it a day I still would’ve been much happier than what I am now.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by Canadafan » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:21 pm

^^^^hopefully our 37th pick surprises us all and makes us forget all about Porter and Bol :D
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#36 » by Mr. Krabs » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:26 pm

Canadafan wrote:^^^^hopefully our 37th pick surprises us all and makes us forget all about Porter and Bol :D

Id be shocked if he gets minutes soon
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#37 » by Canadafan » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:30 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:
Canadafan wrote:^^^^hopefully our 37th pick surprises us all and makes us forget all about Porter and Bol :D

Ya, I'd say more like a miracle if he gets minutes this year. Just hoping he turns out to be a diamond in the rough type in the future
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#38 » by flow » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:11 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:

Bol isn't getting any, either.
Hangry Jalapeno
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#39 » by Hangry Jalapeno » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:34 pm

Snakebites wrote:I mean, all we're doing is low risk moves to try to get the best out of the core we have that we clearly can't move.

The real test comes in 2 years when we will have a clean-ish slate and need to figure out what we're doing with it. Until then we haven't really done much.

Great point. The free agent signings are solid but not great, nothing outside of the box--the team will be deeper and more skilled but for the pistons to take any kind of leap, they'll need to get lucky and have one or more of Thomas, Brown, Or Mykhailiuk to be a great player that produces. I wish they kept the 30th pick and bolstered their front court depth with a Fernando or Claxton (low cost), might have given us more options in free agency. I didn't mind the 30th pick trade either although their next moves in the second round were a little head-scratching. We got good prospects but could have stayed where we were at and still picked up a couple other good/different prospects while also likely being able to still get Bone as an undrafted free agent. As always, time will tell.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#40 » by King Bugs » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:52 pm

We've been doing stupid stuff for so long, everyone is easily impressed.

He did pretty much what he had to do, considering we had no money and not many tradeable assets.

That Snell trade brings the grade down. Snell isn't good or an upgrade over any of the wings we had last season and we dumped pick 30 when KPJ and Bol Bol were both on the board. For the sake of future discussion around here, I hope neither of them ends up being any good.

Return to Detroit Pistons