ImageImageImage

Timberwolves sign Jake Layman (sign-and-trade w/Portland)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Re: Timberwolves sign Jake Layman (sign-and-trade w/Portland) 

Post#21 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:38 am

As a fantasy basketball player I remember he had a couple of streaks where he was under consideration. Overall his stats aren't good. His first two seasons he barely saw the court and when he did it wasn't pretty. Last year he started 30 something games and shot 51% percent from the field. Only 71% from the line. For a 6'9" forward he doesn't rebound much. He really doesn't do much of anything but score. We are paying him almost 4 million a year. All the other players we got are 2 million or less. I don't see what makes him worth twice the pay the others are getting.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#22 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:42 am

MN7725 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:His highlight is all about shooting, yet, he's not good at shooting (from 3)

You noticed that too? I just turned on his highlight video from last year and that's all I'm seeing, despite shooting 32% last year (his career best by 7%)

looking at his monthly splits, disaster in March from 3pt, every other month was decent enough

fts aren't encouraging though

And still shot 51% overall.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,845

Post#23 » by Norm2953 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:42 am

I've seen Jake go on insane scoring binges and thought he might have gotten some run in Portland's
series against the GSW but I'm happy he has a place to go where he can get some consistent time
for he'd have to try to PF in Portland to get any time and he's not a PF.

Likely nobody knows anything about the Euro
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,856

Post#24 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:51 am

KGdaBom wrote:We are paying him almost 4 million a year. All the other players we got are 2 million or less. I don't see what makes him worth twice the pay the others are getting.

I think the fact that he plays a position of greater importance than the two bigs is part of it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Timberwolves sign Jake Layman (sign-and-trade w/Portland) 

Post#25 » by southern wolf » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:51 am

I’ll admit it, I checked to see if he was from Minnesota because he’s so pasty.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#26 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:53 am

Norm2953 wrote:I've seen Jake go on insane scoring binges and thought he might have gotten some run in Portland's
series against the GSW but I'm happy he has a place to go where he can get some consistent time

I remember the name Dubljevic. He was young and full of potential back in 2013 but nothing ever happened.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#27 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:55 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:We are paying him almost 4 million a year. All the other players we got are 2 million or less. I don't see what makes him worth twice the pay the others are getting.

I think the fact that he plays a position of greater importance than the two bigs is part of it.

SF. Maybe. He's tall enough to play the PF. I know he has some potential, but so do so many other players. Here's hoping. Go Wolves.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#28 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:15 am

The thing about Layman at his height and with his jumping ability he can get his shot just about whenever he wants. All that matters is can he make enough of them to be a positive. In that regard he reminds me of Zach LaVine. It was just a matter of the shots starting to fall.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#29 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:16 am

Three years? Wow
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#30 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:17 am

I'm actually really liking our bench for next year:

(Culver,Layman,Bell,Vonleh,Tyus(?),Dieng)

All of them play hard and hopefully Culver can lead that bench to something special..

Now the only problem is our starting 5 lol

Teague,Josh,Wigg,Cov,KAT unless Gorgui starts at the 5 and Josh comes off the bench. We have a **** load of wing players, I still think something is happening before the 6th
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#31 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:25 am

theGreatRC wrote:I'm actually really liking our bench for next year:

(Culver,Layman,Bell,Vonleh,Tyus(?),Dieng)

All of them play hard and hopefully Culver can lead that bench to something special..

Now the only problem is our starting 5 lol

Teague,Josh,Wigg,Cov,KAT unless Gorgui starts at the 5 and Josh comes off the bench. We have a **** load of wing players, I still think something is happening before the 6th

I don't see Culver as bench. Maybe for a few games, but he will be starting on the wing sooner rather than later.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 217

Post#32 » by Macwolf527 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:27 am

Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:His highlight is all about shooting, yet, he's not good at shooting (from 3)

You noticed that too? I just turned on his highlight video from last year and that's all I'm seeing, despite shooting 32% last year (his career best by 7%)

Interesting note. If you remove March where he shot 5 for 36 from three over 15 games, he was at 37.2% for the rest of the regular season. That’s not terrible.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#33 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:14 am

Macwolf527 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Interesting note. If you remove March where he shot 5 for 36 from three over 15 games, he was at 37.2% for the rest of the regular season. That’s not terrible.
If removing 36 attempts swings his percentage that much the volume/sample size is too low to draw any serious conclusions from.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,934

Post#34 » by Domejandro » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:57 am

Norm2953 wrote:I've seen Jake go on insane scoring binges and thought he might have gotten some run in Portland's

Bojan Dubljević is a solid, back to the basket player; basically an incredibly poor man's Nikola Peković in that regard, but he does have better passing touch and has excellent range. Definitely has potential to make the jump to the NBA, but he is legitimately unplayable on defense, so I do not see the point for Portland. Like, I don't know if he could survive in pick-and-roll action, he would get roasted; I don't think his offensive ability is worth it in the modern NBA. He is almost certainly staying in Europe, Portland probably will not bother with him.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:17 am

_AIJ_ wrote:I love this signing! Dude Can jump so high

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Does he shoot well from up high?
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#36 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:19 am

TheDominator273 wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:
Klomp wrote:You noticed that too? I just turned on his highlight video from last year and that's all I'm seeing, despite shooting 32% last year (his career best by 7%)

If removing 36 attempts swings his percentage that much the volume/sample size is too low to draw any serious conclusions from.

So he goes into 15 game shooting slumps. Check
36 attempts over 15 games. Slighty oveer two shots a game. Check.

He's a Timberwolf alright. Ye shall fit right in. With a multiyear deal to boot. Yummy.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#37 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:53 am

Jedzz wrote:
TheDominator273 wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:

So he goes into 15 game shooting slumps. Check
36 attempts over 15 games. Slighty oveer two shots a game. Check.

He's a Timberwolf alright. Ye shall fit right in. With a multiyear deal to boot. Yummy.
Plus he kinda looks like a werewolf so he definitely belongs. He can replace Crunch as our mascot
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#38 » by old school 34 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:05 am

Maybe tall enough to think he could play PF, but bad rebounder & not very strong....think he's always a 3.

Another reason he could be a little more is that he was an RFA....needed to sign him for enough that it would be unattractive for Por to just match....while still keeping it small enough for us to keep it in one of our Trade exceptions....other guys were shots at being functional defensive bigs...JL is a shot at gaining another rotational shooter...wouldn't be surprised to learn maybe year 3 has a TO?
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

SF. Maybe. He's tall enough to play the PF. I know he has some potential, but so do so many other players. Here's hoping. Go Wolves.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Post#39 » by minimus » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:17 am

Overall, the 6-foot-9 forward is currently averaging 1.16 points per possession for Portland this season, per Synergy Sports Tech. Among all players who have finished at least 300 possessions, only eight have been more effective than Layman.

But what makes Layman so special is his prolific ability to finish near the basket. Heis averaging 1.47 points per possession on his cutters, which now ranks as the fourth-best (minimum: 60 attempts) in the NBA this season. If he is being guarded on the perimeter, he can blow by an opponent to the lane for an easy bucket.

The forward ranks in the 95th percentile on attempts within four feet of the basket, per Cleaning the Glass. He’s shooting 89-for-116 (76.7 percent) on his shots in the restricted area. Only two NBA players have been more accurate than Layman in this zone.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/23/portland-trail-blazers-jake-layman-scouting-report-analysis-interview/
SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#40 » by SaintS » Thu Jul 4, 2019 8:20 am

Domejandro wrote:

Bojan Dubljević is a solid, back to the basket player; basically an incredibly poor man's Nikola Peković in that regard, but he does have better passing touch and has excellent range. Definitely has potential to make the jump to the NBA, but he is legitimately unplayable on defense, so I do not see the point for Portland. Like, I don't know if he could survive in pick-and-roll action, he would get roasted; I don't think his offensive ability is worth it in the modern NBA. He is almost certainly staying in Europe, Portland probably will not bother with him.

Bojan is not close to Pek. He's a good shooter, from 3 as well.
He’s more pick and pop player.

I agree that he won’t come to NBA. I saw a potential to make this jump 2-3 years ago, but not now.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves