ImageImageImage

Revisiting the infamous Ainge/King trade

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Revisiting the infamous Ainge/King trade 

Post#21 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:44 am

****, why stop there OP? Looks like Colangelo and the Sixers won the Tatum-Fultz trade too. They got Al Horford right? Is this how it works?
CTCeltsFan34
Junior
And1: 249

Post#22 » by CTCeltsFan34 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 2:44 am

vct33 wrote:Misleading title. LOL. I thought this was about Ainge being traded to the Kings with Brad Lohaus for Joe Klein and Ed Pinkney. That was quite devestating for me at the time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Look at those Bobcats......There laying on the floor!!!...Improbable
[EverGreen]
Junior
And1: 168

Post#23 » by [EverGreen] » Thu Jul 4, 2019 3:12 am

Gee, lots of hot takes here kinda missing what the point of what I was saying.

All good though.

For the records, yes, as I said we got lots more 'pieces', lots more valuable pieces. We've been good without being great. My point was that the trade has led both franchises to be where they are today.
ermocrate
General Manager
And1: 1,603

Post#24 » by ermocrate » Thu Jul 4, 2019 4:51 am

[EverGreen] wrote:Gee, lots of hot takes here kinda missing what the point of what I was saying.

All good though.

For the records, yes, as I said we got lots more 'pieces', lots more valuable pieces. We've been good without being great. My point was that the trade has led both franchises to be where they are today.

Your point has no sense that why there are a lot of hot takes, you started it...
"Negativity in this town sucks"
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#25 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:00 am

Lol.

We got Tatum, Brown, Romeo Langford and a major piece to trade for Kyrie Irving.

We absolutely killed them on that tase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#26 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Thu Jul 4, 2019 5:23 am

Even if the Nets end up winning a title, it won't mean they won the trade because what they pulled off wasn't a direct result of the trade. Had they had their picks and drafted Brown and Tatum, they still could have maintained cap flexibility and signed Kyrie and KD. Furthermore, they'd have had 2 pieces to move to potentially get a true 3rd fiddle.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#27 » by Ernest » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:41 am

By the logic made in this post, we won the trade where we gave away Billups because years later we got KG. That spelling test I failed in 6th grade, I actually passed because I later got into college.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#28 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:55 am

You've taken 2 unrelated things and tried to draw a conclusion between them. The Nets have nothing left from that trade, the only reason they are in a seemingly good place is a good job by Marks. But he's not building on anything from that trade. The position they are in now is unrelated to the trade.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#29 » by chrisab123 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:44 am

Trade has nothing to do with Kyrie and KD wanting to build brands in NYC. No the Nets would love to have that trade back but its independent of what they accomplished after. Marks did a great job and hit on late picks such as Levert who has become slightly overrated. Future all star but ive seen Nets fans compare him to Harden which really isn't fair to LeVert since its not possible. I like Allen a lot too. Dinwiddie was an NBA after thought that was cut by the Bulls etc...

Wouldnt mind signing Hollis Jefferson though. Solid bench player.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#30 » by darylbe » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:03 pm

Nets did a fabulous job post trade to 8th seed.

But the fact - we sent kg and pp to Brooklyn, got a bunch of lottery picks back, and Brooklyn got nowhere. That's the end of it.

Again, bkn was an incredibly fun team to watch, and they're my 2nd team to root for (I'm a ny-er).

But trade win/loss aside, this has nothing to do with kd and KI. The tandum was going to nyk or bkn. And chose bkn bc they are better and don't have **** bag Dolan as the owner.

So really, GH injury is why Brooklyn drew 2 stars, nothing to do with the trade.

Tiny ball wrote:He should be recovered by start of season.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#31 » by celtxman » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:36 pm

When Billy King and Danny Ainge sat down neither of them envisioned the Celtics getting high lottery picks out of the deal. That has always been the disingenuous idea of the trade. People forget or never realized that the Nets played the Cavs extremely tough in a 5 game series playing without Brook Lopez their best player at the time. But they didn't stay the course and it played beautifully into the Celtics hands. Prokhorov pulled the plug before they could even get started winning, first getting rid of Pierce, and then systematically getting rid of EVERYONE who could help the Nets win.
So the picks which Danny knew should have been no lottery picks or low lottery at best, became high lottery. So instead of drafting the likes of Rozier, Yabusele, James Young and RJ Hunter, you're now drafting Brown, Tatum and trading for Irving.
As to what the Nets did, it goes to my signature. If you have great, competent management, you can do great things. The NBA shouldn't be rewarding Philadelphia for striking out on more high lottery picks then they hit. Abolish the draft, and set up the wheel system where each team gets every pick in the course of 30 years. It's beyond obvious now
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#32 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Jul 4, 2019 1:24 pm

Nets lost that trade badly but they did a great job recovering and ahead of the Celtics.
*Insert witty signature here.*
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#33 » by ermocrate » Fri Jul 5, 2019 9:01 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Nets lost that trade badly but they did a great job recovering and ahead of the Celtics.

In 2020 if KD ever gets on an NBA floor at KD’s level again before Kyrie kills the franchise. Nets did awful job, Kyrie singlehandedly decided where he and his fiancée had to play. Those soft ass biatches should have been disqualified.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#34 » by Ernest » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:21 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Nets lost that trade badly but they did a great job recovering and ahead of the Celtics.

Well they haven't done anything yet. They have a team that looks great on paper a year from now. We had . Kyrie led team that looked really good on paper and all it got us was bounced in the 2nd round.

But yeah, the team seems to be doing well. It kind of figures, people like New York but I think a lot of guys don't really want to play for the Knicks. I mean the nets should have a good team more often than not just as the Lakers and Heat should. I think that was the idea when they traded for KG and PP. It didn't work out at all for them, but the idea was ok. If PP and KG had got them into the playoffs for a few years and then other stars wanted to go there, those picks would have not been so good. So did we get lucky or were they just unlucky? Or maybe Ainge is just ninja slicing fools apart and stealing picks.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#35 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:24 am

celtxman wrote:When Billy King and Danny Ainge sat down neither of them envisioned the Celtics getting high lottery picks out of the deal. That has always been the disingenuous idea of the trade. People forget or never realized that the Nets played the Cavs extremely tough in a 5 game series playing without Brook Lopez their best player at the time. But they didn't stay the course and it played beautifully into the Celtics hands. Prokhorov pulled the plug before they could even get started winning, first getting rid of Pierce, and then systematically getting rid of EVERYONE who could help the Nets win.
So the picks which Danny knew should have been no lottery picks or low lottery at best, became high lottery. So instead of drafting the likes of Rozier, Yabusele, James Young and RJ Hunter, you're now drafting Brown, Tatum and trading for Irving.
As to what the Nets did, it goes to my signature. If you have great, competent management, you can do great things. The NBA shouldn't be rewarding Philadelphia for striking out on more high lottery picks then they hit. Abolish the draft, and set up the wheel system where each team gets every pick in the course of 30 years. It's beyond obvious now

At the time, we were happy to get as high a pick as #17 used to pick James Young.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,844

Post#36 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:59 am

Nets wouldn't be in the position they are if Kyrie was born elsewhere. This is Lebron coming back home to Ohio all over again. Sure they did well to recover, but the 2013 trade has very little to do with their two big FA signings this offseason.

And oh, Nets have yet to prove anything. Cs already made two ECFs with their haul from the trade (IT, Brown, Tatum) being major players in their runs.
ermocrate
General Manager

Post#37 » by ermocrate » Fri Jul 5, 2019 8:52 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Nets wouldn't be in the position they are if Kyrie was born elsewhere. This is Lebron coming back home to Ohio all over again. Sure they did well to recover, but the 2013 trade has very little to do with their two big FA signings this offseason.

And oh, Nets have yet to prove anything. Cs already made two ECFs with their haul from the trade (IT, Brown, Tatum) being major players in their runs.

AND He bonding with another problematic star who burned bridges everywhere he has been and only needs to be cuddled from a friend to be happy...

I think I will really be more confortable with the two being romantically involved than with the betray their teams behind their back for this sort of silly bromance made for headcases... If they don't win in Brooklin they will be always remember has two great player with mental problems...
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#38 » by celtxman » Fri Jul 5, 2019 9:42 pm

celtxman wrote:When Billy King and Danny Ainge sat down neither of them envisioned the Celtics getting high lottery picks out of the deal. That has always been the disingenuous idea of the trade. People forget or never realized that the Nets played the Cavs extremely tough in a 5 game series playing without Brook Lopez their best player at the time. But they didn't stay the course and it played beautifully into the Celtics hands. Prokhorov pulled the plug before they could even get started winning, first getting rid of Pierce, and then systematically getting rid of EVERYONE who could help the Nets win.

Absolutely....it was a thing of beauty watching the Nets do what benefitted the Celtics as time went on. But that was on the owner more than Billy King as they should have stayed the course even if it meant being only a borderline playoff team. Then they could have gotten rid of the older players when they had their own draft picks back
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#39 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:35 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Nets wouldn't be in the position they are if Kyrie was born elsewhere.

Kyrie was born in Australia but we know what you meant
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,844

Post#40 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:38 am

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Nets wouldn't be in the position they are if Kyrie was born elsewhere.

Kyrie was born in Australia but we know what you meant

Oops, that's right. Where he grew up then. What he considers his hometown.

Return to Boston Celtics