ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers 2019-20 Season Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-20 Season Thread 

Post#221 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:46 pm

tski1972 wrote:how big of a get is Johnny Davis? I really don't know much about him.

He’s kinda in the zone of most of the other good UW players. Ranked around #125 nationally but I’ve seen several writers adamant that he’s higher up.

Can slash, defend, handle...needs to improve his shot but it already is, apparently. Compared to Michael Flowers, maybe more polished at this point.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#222 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Seems like Carlson (Big from MN) is unlikely and I highly, highly doubt Jalen Johnson. But the next wave is looking pretty good.

Bowman
Davis/Davis
Wahl
?
?/Hedstrom

King will also be a starter for one year when that group takes over. If they can fill in those forward spots well (May have to get a transfer), I think that’s going to be a good group. Basically this current team except much more lateral quickness/ability to create shots.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#223 » by Diggr14 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:08 pm

King hasn’t done all that much for us yet.

I wouldn’t pencil him in as a starter any year. He needs to up his game.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#224 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:52 am

Diggr14 wrote:King hasn’t done all that much for us yet.

I wouldn’t pencil him in as a starter any year. He needs to up his game.

That’s fair, but I think his offense will flourish this year. The signs were there. The defense was the bigger concern to me.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#225 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:30 pm

Jalen Johnson committed to Duke.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#226 » by StickeeFingaz » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:36 pm

That’s alright, I’m sure there’s some white kid from Minnesota that will fill that spot. Pat Baldwin will be the next top 5 recruit to not go to UW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#FreeChuckDiesel
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#227 » by tski1972 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 10:58 pm

who'll be at Duke longer Jalen Johnson or Coach K?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,609

Post#228 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Jalen Johnson committed to Duke.

The fans bashing him on Twitter for picking Duke over Madison are the worst. Congrats to the kid, didn’t think Madison had a chance once the big boys came.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#229 » by humanrefutation » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:15 pm

Didn't expect him to commit here, but it's disappointing nevertheless.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,297

Post#230 » by jute2003 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:20 pm

It is how I expected it to end as well which is fine. I'm just glad he didn't drag it out and didn't commit only to de-commit later on. I hope he has a great year and Duke loses 25 games.
only a fan, only an opinion
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,297

Post#231 » by jute2003 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:21 pm

And just to be clear....hoping Duke loses 25 games has nothing to do with Johnson.
only a fan, only an opinion
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#232 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 5, 2019 4:07 am

Good for Johnson, I am annoyed as anyone else by Duke but he probably got paid and he’ll have a path to the pros.

Expecting Johnson to sign is like expecting the Brewers to sign Mike Trout if he hit free agency. Just not how the economics and landscape work.

Someday hopefully we’ll accidentally stumble on our next Sam Dekker or Graham Mertz, the accidental 5-star commit that is not persuaded to leave. Until then, hopefully some more of the solid high 3/4 star guys that were the old bread & butter and that we’ve gotten in the other 2020 guys.
Diggr14
Analyst

Post#233 » by Diggr14 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:38 am

The whole path to the pros thing is nonsense.

Ja Morant just did it at Murray State.

Many others the same thing. I just want to know what Jalen’s signing bonus was. They should report that too. Duke/Kentucky.. they pay, and get away with it over and over and over.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#234 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:13 pm

Diggr14 wrote:The whole path to the pros thing is nonsense.

Many others the same thing. I just want to know what Jalen’s signing bonus was. They should report that too. Duke/Kentucky.. they pay, and get away with it over and over and over.

I didn't really mean it like that. It was just a token, "he'll be a pro, anyway" thing and at the very least, he knows it'll be easy with Duke.

I agree with you this is how it is and it's kind of dumb.

I do think that slowing it down could impact a guy like Johnson but I doubt it. And they'd probably let him run a bit, anyways.

But I agree that's the stupid issue and I also can't blame parents for thinking along these lines (or more likely, most of these guys are getting cash payouts).

Izzo, Self, K, Cal, etc. all have proven that they can mold guys into pros. Guess what? Bo Ryan was given a handful of 1st round talents and got them drafted exactly where they should've been drafted and maybe even a bit higher. There's been plenty of debate on here, but I think if nothing else that Gard is a good developer of players, but if you don't think so, the guy is still only spending 7 months or whatever with him anyways.

So I totally understand how and why guys go to Duke but I do find it funny reading comments from Duke fans or scorned UW fans saying, "well he clearly went to Duke because they can get him to the pros." I simultaneously understand why the recruit or parent has them go there but I also think that it's a pretty big myth. K has been tactically awful a lot in recent years and his 1-and-dones all get drafted high. Gard's not a recruiter but at least solid at everything else, Jalen Johnson would reach his full draft potential at Wisconsin. Gard will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat so that he can tell recruits that he can do this first like Izzo, K, etc. did to actually gain that benefit of the doubt, though.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#235 » by MAC1987 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:20 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:The whole path to the pros thing is nonsense.

I didn't really mean it like that. It was just a token, "he'll be a pro, anyway" thing and at the very least, he knows it'll be easy with Duke.

I agree with you this is how it is and it's kind of dumb.

I do think that slowing it down could impact a guy like Johnson but I doubt it. And they'd probably let him run a bit, anyways.

But I agree that's the stupid issue and I also can't blame parents for thinking along these lines (or more likely, most of these guys are getting cash payouts).

Izzo, Self, K, Cal, etc. all have proven that they can mold guys into pros. Guess what? Bo Ryan was given a handful of 1st round talents and got them drafted exactly where they should've been drafted and maybe even a bit higher. There's been plenty of debate on here, but I think if nothing else that Gard is a good developer of players, but if you don't think so, the guy is still only spending 7 months or whatever with him anyways.

So I totally understand how and why guys go to Duke but I do find it funny reading comments from Duke fans or scorned UW fans saying, "well he clearly went to Duke because they can get him to the pros." I simultaneously understand why the recruit or parent has them go there but I also think that it's a pretty big myth. K has been tactically awful a lot in recent years and his 1-and-dones all get drafted high. Gard's not a recruiter but at least solid at everything else, Jalen Johnson would reach his full draft potential at Wisconsin. Gard will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat so that he can tell recruits that he can do this first like Izzo, K, etc. did to actually gain that benefit of the doubt, though.
I thought what Russel Wilson did at Wisconsin was going to get us steady QB recruits. So far....1. Mertz. Young kids are just that, young and dont realize what Wisconsin could do for them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,586

Post#236 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:27 pm

I am too old to care if a 17 year old spurns my alma mater but I'm just sick of UK and Duke poaching whomever the hell they want. I think they've been #1, #2, or #3 in recruiting for the last six years.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#237 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:36 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:I am too old to care if a 17 year old spurns my alma mater but I'm just sick of UK and Duke poaching whomever the hell they want. I think they've been #1, #2, or #3 in recruiting for the last six years.

On top of that, lots of hand-wringing over losing in-state recruits. You need a few of the attainable ones but otherwise college basketball is not an in-state/local recruiting game.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Post#238 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:46 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:I am too old to care if a 17 year old spurns my alma mater but I'm just sick of UK and Duke poaching whomever the hell they want. I think they've been #1, #2, or #3 in recruiting for the last six years.

Pretty much this. I can't get too worked up when an elite kid chooses one of the historically elite schools. Yeah I want to keep them all home, and yeah I have concerns about the state of the program and recruiting, but the former is not realistic, and the latter is not a reflection of this one kid and commitment.

Just so sick of Duke. I liked Duke better (read: I still didn't like them) when they weren't a 1-and-done factory. They were easier to respect as a team. Now you just know they're paying their way to championships.

Good for Jalen, though. He's clearly got a lot of talent and that's why they were calling. Hope he does well.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,889

Post#239 » by BUCKnation » Fri Jul 5, 2019 9:56 pm

Can't blame him if he wants to be a 1 and done. Cam Reddish somehow stayed a top ten pick after shooting 36% from the field on high volume.
Diggr14
Analyst

Post#240 » by Diggr14 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:41 am

hype, money, woke.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks