ImageImageImage

Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal (2019)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Re: Celtics Re-sign Brad Wanamaker to 1 yr Deal 

Post#41 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:14 pm

Wanamaker always looked competent and poised Perfect emergency and garbage time PG. Kemba, Smart, Hayward give us plenty of good vet ball handlers but having Wanamaker on board is nice.
Sign here
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#42 » by 000078ude54 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:28 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Wanamaker always looked competent and poised Perfect emergency and garbage time PG. Kemba, Smart, Hayward give us plenty of good vet ball handlers but having Wanamaker on board is nice.

I agree with this. He should've been allowed to play A LOT more. Always seemed smart, steady, and professional.

He deserves real backup minutes.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#43 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:45 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:So it's too many guards AND then need a vet backup PG? Who? Zero chance anyone available is better than Wanamaker. One 'N', respect the name.

Five guards AND three of those aren't going to be significant help this season, so yes we still need a vet PG.

I guess I just disagree. Smart/Kemba/Hayward/Wanamaker will be handling the ball like 90% of the time if this team is going to be any good. Edwards, Waters, Langford are projects that may or may not work, but I don't see the need to bring in someone to play 200 minutes this year to take away any sort of potential role for them. Waters is a two-way guy and Edwards is probably spending the majority of the year in Portland until there is a guard injury. What vet PG do you want to add and what role do you think he'll have? They just survived a year with Terry Rozier getting 23 minutes a game.

PG's have been drying up. I believe Rondo is still available, but he may want more than the vet's minimum.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#44 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jul 3, 2019 10:46 pm

Rondo is so washed. Total bozo who doesn't try until the playoffs, always bitching about something. Hard, hard pass. And he's not coming to Boston to play 5 minutes a game.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Green89
RealGM

Post#45 » by Green89 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 11:47 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Rondo is so washed. Total bozo who doesn't try until the playoffs, always bitching about something. Hard, hard pass. And he's not coming to Boston to play 5 minutes a game.

Rondo's worst "not trying" year would still be better than Wanamaker's career best year.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#46 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:12 am

Green89 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:
Green89 wrote:
If Brad and Carsen end up our two main bench point guards, they would be the most inexperienced backup up point guards we've ever started a season with.

Brad Wanamaker shot 47% from the FG and 41% from 3. That’s excellent production from your third string guard.

In less than 10 minutes per game. Can he do it consistently once he gets double the minutes?

He did well the one game where he was the primary PG IIRC, but he doesn't regularly need to play 20 minutes on this team. Smart could well soak up the lion's share of backup minutes to both Kemba and Jaylen, if Jaylen starts. Even if Smart starts, he could be staggered to take a lot of the PG minutes when Kemba is off the court.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#47 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:14 am

sam_I_am wrote:I like Wanamaker and think he is excellent back up. However, ideally Edwards or Waters makes him expendable.

I see Edwards as more of an Eddie House/Vinnie Johnson who can also handle the ball. And I think he's ready for the NBA game now. He and Grant Williams are the two rooks I think are most likely to get rotation minutes, on a small scale, from the start of the season.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#48 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:20 am

Green89 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Rondo is so washed. Total bozo who doesn't try until the playoffs, always bitching about something. Hard, hard pass. And he's not coming to Boston to play 5 minutes a game.

Rondo's worst "not trying" year would still be better than Wanamaker's career best year.

I think we're just going to continue to disagree based on a baseline assessment of Wanamaker. I just think he's significantly better than you do is all, that's fine. And Rondo is terrible in the regular season, has been for the better part of a decade.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Green89
RealGM

Post#49 » by Green89 » Thu Jul 4, 2019 12:31 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Green89 wrote:

I think we're just going to continue to disagree based on a baseline assessment of Wanamaker. I just think he's significantly better than you do is all, that's fine. And Rondo is terrible in the regular season, has been for the better part of a decade.

I agree that Wanamaker is decent, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate him a 4. His sample size is just too small to even attempt to assess him any higher. Rozier is now gone and he was maybe a 7 out of 10. What I'm saying is that while Wanamaker as a 4th string PG was fine, dropping off that much for our new 3rd string PG is just too much after Rozier leaving. Some games Smart will start with Kemba and we will not be in a good position to win if Wanamaker is the first PG off the bench.
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#50 » by LondonCeltics » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:36 am

I thought Wanamaker was fairly solid in the limited minutes I saw of him last season. More of a conventional PG which is always good (especially when our starter is more offensive minded) and as highlighted above, shot efficiently. I don't understand why he gets a bit of hate from our fans.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#51 » by gocelts » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:09 pm

I think Rondo still has something left ....that said, I'd really like to see Edwards and Waters get an opportunity...and there's no way Rondo is going to be cool with them sneaking minutes underneath him when he's already behind Kemba. Thus...Wanamaker gets the contract. Had we landed AD and kept Kyrie...I do believe Rondo (or another vet) would have been here by now as well.

Reading between the lines, Danny is committed to developing and getting opportunity to these young guys this year all across the roster.
~gocelts
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#52 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:20 pm

gocelts wrote:I think Rondo still has something left ....that said, I'd really like to see Edwards and Waters get an opportunity...and there's no way Rondo is going to be cool with them sneaking minutes underneath him when he's already behind Kemba. Thus...Wanamaker gets the contract. Had we landed AD and kept Kyrie...I do believe Rondo (or another vet) would have been here by now as well.

Reading between the lines, Danny is committed to developing and getting opportunity to these young guys this year all across the roster.

Stevens and Rondo had their issues the last time around and I don't think the C's would see his level of play at this point near the risk of fouling their locker room overhaul right now.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#53 » by gocelts » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:32 pm

Perhaps....remember had we landed AD, Smart was likely gone...Rondo starts looking even better...

I'm glad we are being smart about this and going this way. My hope is that we won't see much of Wanamaker and that we get to see Edwards light it up off the bench Eddie House style.
~gocelts
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#54 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 5, 2019 1:00 pm

gocelts wrote:Perhaps....remember had we landed AD, Smart was likely gone...Rondo starts looking even better...

I'm glad we are being smart about this and going this way. My hope is that we won't see much of Wanamaker and that we get to see Edwards light it up off the bench Eddie House style.

I see Carsen and Grant winning legit time early this year. They are the two picks I am most confident in.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#55 » by KumaJG » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:14 pm

Hopefully he dont mess up Edwards and Langford development.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#56 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Jul 5, 2019 6:19 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
gocelts wrote:Perhaps....remember had we landed AD, Smart was likely gone...Rondo starts looking even better...

I see Carsen and Grant winning legit time early this year. They are the two picks I am most confident in.

It's also that they have the least competition. There isn't a true 4 on the roster and I think Smart will end up starting at 2-guard and not seeing much time as the 1.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#57 » by Half-Full » Fri Jul 5, 2019 7:11 pm

LondonCeltics wrote:I thought Wanamaker was fairly solid in the limited minutes I saw of him last season. More of a conventional PG which is always good (especially when our starter is more offensive minded) and as highlighted above, shot efficiently. I don't understand why he gets a bit of hate from our fans.

Really. He ably filled his role, and was paid the minimum salary. He brings experience, and knows how to run a team.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,233

Post#58 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Officially back.

Read on Twitter
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#59 » by cloverleaf » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

It's also that they have the least competition. There isn't a true 4 on the roster and I think Smart will end up starting at 2-guard and not seeing much time as the 1.

Really? You think they're going to bring Brown off the bench? That would be interesting. I think Grant's main competition will be with Theis backing up Tatum at the 4. And there wouldn't be enough minutes for Smart and Brown if they were both just squeezed in at the 2 anyway. Certainly easy enough to stagger Kemba and Smart for PG coverage, even if Brad were to start Smart at the 2. But I expect Smart's time to be split between the two guard roles. And because of that Wanamaker in the default 3rd PG role this year (whereas last year he was really 4th, which Waters on the 2-way will effectively have this season). Yeah, they'll talk about and try to fit Carsen into the PG role, but I think he'll end up like AB, in the 2 position--with Smart helping to make that work because they can switch defensively.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#60 » by Slartibartfast » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:13 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Really? You think they're going to bring Brown off the bench? That would be interesting. I think Grant's main competition will be with Theis backing up Tatum at the 4. And there wouldn't be enough minutes for Smart and Brown if they were both just squeezed in at the 2 anyway. Certainly easy enough to stagger Kemba and Smart for PG coverage, even if Brad were to start Smart at the 2. But I expect Smart's time to be split between the two guard roles. And because of that Wanamaker in the default 3rd PG role this year (whereas last year he was really 4th, which Waters on the 2-way will effectively have this season). Yeah, they'll talk about and try to fit Carsen into the PG role, but I think he'll end up like AB, in the 2 position--with Smart helping to make that work because they can switch defensively.

I think they will end up bringing one of JB/Hayward off the bench. Probably Hayward since he's the most capable of functioning as a 6th man.

We have too little defense on the floor with Kemba/JB/Tatum/Hayward/Kanter. And you get diminishing returns offensively from playing three scoring wings with Kemba (and by extension Kanter as his roll man) eating up a lot of usage. There's room for a 2nd banana, sure, but not for 3 of them!

So putting a guy like Smart, who will do the dirty work for all those offensive players, pass the ball and only take open 3s makes a lot of sense. Then you have Hayward as the #1 option for the 2nd unit (though he didn't really embrace that role last season, preferring to work more in the background).

So something like this:

Kemba
Smart
JB
Tatum
Kanter

Then you filter in the following 5

Hayward (probably for Tatum, to keep the small-ball and spacing going)
Poirier (for Kanter, to keep size and rebounding on the floor)
Grant (for JB, pushing us back to a more traditonally sized line up)
Carsen and Romeo (for Kemba and Smart)

Return to Boston Celtics