The Conley Cascade Effect

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

The Conley Cascade Effect 

Post#1 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:15 am

Adding Mike Conley before free agency began was a huge win, and enabled the other moves.

- Reports were that Bogdanovic was pumped to join the Jazz, we barely had to exceed his early bird rights and got a steal.
- Conley then recruits Jeff Green, who had multiple suitors.
- And it allowed us to use our space early on Ed Davis while others waited on Leonard.
- After Conley got added, we also raised our profile high enough to get Harris' attention. Though it didn't work out, we made it way further than usual.

I don't think any of our moves after Conley are possible without him committed first. We'd just sit on our hands while free agents passed us up. Not only does he dish out assists, he dishes to new roster spots.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Re: The Conley Cascade Effect 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:18 am

Great point. I was wrong about giving up too much. B/c we got Green on the min I'd call he and Crowder a wash. So it was 2 1sts and Korver for Conley...which seems decent enough.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Luigi
General Manager

Post#3 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:20 am

babyjax13 wrote:Great point. I was wrong about giving up too much. B/c we got Green on the min I'd call he and Crowder a wash. So it was 2 1sts and Korver for Conley...which seems decent enough.

And we had the chance to scout out the pick this year, and weren't that happy with it.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:32 am

Luigi wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Great point. I was wrong about giving up too much. B/c we got Green on the min I'd call he and Crowder a wash. So it was 2 1sts and Korver for Conley...which seems decent enough.

And we had the chance to scout out the pick this year, and weren't that happy with it.

I also think if you are thinking about teams in terms of high quality depth

1) Rudy (top 15 player)
2) Donovan (top 25)
3) Conley (top 30)
4) Bogz (top 50, maybe better)
5) Jingles (top 50)

I think our top five is probably one of the best in the league. What team has a 3rd and 4th best player as good as us (I think only Philly and Toronto on the former, Philly on the latter)? What team has 5 players as talented as ours (again, only Philly)? Then we have a really nice set of proven role players:

6) Royce O'neale
7) Ed Davis
8) Jeff Green

Most playoff teams have one starter on par with these players...who is just kinda there and solid/unremarkable.

Then some developmental talent with NBA experience, both of whom are younger than Cam Johnson:

9) Dante Exum
10) Emmanuel Mudiay

And an end of bench player who is a knock down shooter

11) Georges Niang

I also expect Bradley and Brantley to make the team, and then we will sign one more player for depth. I'd love it to just be Thabo because of his versatility, although he is older. Wouldn't mind Stanton Kidd. Then Oni and Wright-Foreman as 2-way players. 11, possibly 12 players that can handle some NBA minutes + some guys with translatable tools.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Luigi
General Manager

Post#5 » by Luigi » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:44 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Luigi wrote:

I also think if you are thinking about teams in terms of high quality depth

1) Rudy (top 15 player)
2) Donovan (top 25)
3) Conley (top 30)
4) Bogz (top 50, maybe better)
5) Jingles (top 50)

I think our top five is probably one of the best in the league. What team has a 3rd and 4th best player as good as us (I think only Philly and Toronto on the former, Philly on the latter)? What team has 5 players as talented as ours (again, only Philly)? Then we have a really nice set of proven role players:

6) Royce O'neale
7) Ed Davis
8) Jeff Green

Most playoff teams have one starter on par with these players...who is just kinda there and solid/unremarkable.

Then some developmental talent with NBA experience, both of whom are younger than Cam Johnson:

9) Dante Exum
10) Emmanuel Mudiay

And an end of bench player who is a knock down shooter

11) Georges Niang

I also expect Bradley and Brantley to make the team, and then we will sign one more player for depth. I'd love it to just be Thabo because of his versatility, although he is older. Wouldn't mind Stanton Kidd. Then Oni and Wright-Foreman as 2-way players. 11, possibly 12 players that can handle some NBA minutes + some guys with translatable tools.

Yes, I agree entirely on this. Just about every point. After the Conley trade, I made a general board thread about 3rd best players, and I was pretty happy with what we have. Now we go deeper. I still worry a bit about the size of 4s that we're going to see from good teams, but Jeff Green makes me feel a lot better. I hope he can help force people to go small with us. But I'm loving the anchors we have to keep the paint covered at all times.

Mitchell still has to take the next step this year. It's possible that he gets lost in the mix of the new offensive talent, and even gets outshined by Conley or Bogdanovic. Hopefully he learns how to play in the flow of the offense and still get all of his own. But to be real contenders, we'll also need him to be outplay Conley and Bogdanovic, be our best offensive player, get the spare star call, break runs in key moments, and carry us through broken stretches. Can't wait to see him benefit from other talent on the floor.
AGE1207
Junior
And1: 129

Post#6 » by AGE1207 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 7:38 pm

This is exactly why I didn't want to comment on the Conley trade as such. It now turns out this was all part of a bigger picture.

U got to love this off-season, probably the best ever. Geniune shot at a ring now, out with mediocrity!
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 419

Post#7 » by TNJazz » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm the same category and 1207, not commenting bc not sure what other developments might happen. Now that the team has undergone such a metamorphosis and the caterpillar has emerged, it is a beautiful thing! Conley effect, newest Jazz phenomenon!
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,913

Post#8 » by mudsak » Thu Jul 4, 2019 6:02 am

I believe this was the most successful off-season in Jazz history
Cheers to the FO for absolutely schooling the rest of the league in how to build a roster.
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Post#9 » by CallMeKahn » Thu Jul 4, 2019 11:15 am

Luigi wrote:Adding Mike Conley before free agency began was a huge win, and enabled the other moves.

- Reports were that Bogdanovic was pumped to join the Jazz, we barely had to exceed his early bird rights and got a steal.
- Conley then recruits Jeff Green, who had multiple suitors.
- And it allowed us to use our space early on Ed Davis while others waited on Leonard.
- After Conley got added, we also raised our profile high enough to get Harris' attention. Though it didn't work out, we made it way further than usual.

I don't think any of our moves after Conley are possible without him committed first. We'd just sit on our hands while free agents passed us up. Not only does he dish out assists, he dishes to new roster spots.

Something else to note as well:

- Mudiay (who I am absolutely pumped about) wanted to come partially for a chance to learn under Conley.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#10 » by Cappy_Smurf » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:11 pm

mudsak wrote:I believe this was the most successful off-season in Jazz history
Cheers to the FO for absolutely schooling the rest of the league in how to build a roster.

The sad thing is that there are a handful of posters here just waiting on a Conely injury, just so they can remind everyone just how right they were by hating on the Jazz FO for making this deal.

The truth is, no matter how this works out, it was easily the right call to trade for Conely. With Mitchell still on his rookie deal and Gobert 2 seasons away from being an UFA, now is not the time to be drafting rookies who are likely 2 years away from being 2 years away. Now is the time to go for it, and the Jazz have had an off-season recognized as brilliant around the league, yet there are some fans who just insist on sticking to their guns that it was a mistake, despite the big picture.

Props to anyone honest enough to admit they were wrong, instead of hoping for negative results so that they can feel like they are smarter than Linzanity.

The Raptors won a championship by gambling on a player they could have lost after one year. The rockets signed Chris Paul to a terrible contract, knowing the last year or 2 would likely be ugly. Both teams did this because they knew it would give them a shot at winning it all, and both teams did the right thing, even though it only worked out for one of them. When you have a window to play for a championship, however small, you take that chance even if you could end up a mistake.

The majority of NBA fans/journalists are believers in what Linzanity has put together this year. The negative Nancys around here would be doing themselves a favor by jumping on the wagon and enjoying the ride, despite where it may or may not take us. IMO this is the most exciting Jazz season we've had in a long time. Let's try and make the most of it. :)
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Calhamid94
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#11 » by Calhamid94 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:44 pm

Just imagine the spacing on the floor with Ingles and Bogdanovic playing together. Ingles goes to the right corner, Bogdanovic roams around the left corner. We just completely opened up the floor for our guards. Conley being left handed and Mitchell being right handed. The possibility of plays are endless!!!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#12 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 5, 2019 10:54 pm

How many players have a bigger impact on the game as a whole vs. Gobert? He's insanely underrated around the league. I hope he keeps missing the as game. Fuels him.

Conley is up there in age for a pg. Kemba has more good years in the league. But conley is exactly what utah needs today.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL

Return to Utah Jazz