Around the NBA: FREE AGENCY EXTRAVAGANZA EDITION

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,502

Re: Around the NBA: FREE AGENCY EXTRAVAGANZA EDITION 

Post#21 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jul 3, 2019 2:49 am

I'm not sure the NYK didn't make a lot of big offers and got laughed at. It was rumored that Cousins was their plan B if they missed on Kyrie and KD. Cousins might have cost himself a lot of money because he didn't want to play for the worst run team in the NBA. The Knicks still think they are some kind of a destination for FAs, but no one wants to play there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they Knicks turn some of that quality depth they have into D'Angelo Russell. Something like Knox, DSJ, Ellington and Taj along with a pair of first round picks for D'Angelo Russell would get NY a star while giving GS the depth they need and giving them a bit more breathing room with salary. It can't be done until around the deadline.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#22 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:02 am

Old Man Game wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Btw, Joe Lacob's 'No player will ever wear no. 35 again' was weak ass cuck b.s. You don't retire a player's number until that guy actually retires from the league. Them's the rules and I'll hear no other.

do you watch better call saul? kd's exit and lacob's behavior remind me of when chuck was bought out of the firm and hamlin had all the associates outside to send him off.

I quit watching that show mid-way through season 2, but I did see that episode. Yes.

Wait. Sorry. I forgot what that episode was about until today when I was out walking the dog and this popped into my mind for some reason.

In that Better Call Saul the named partner had them throw that big reception for Saul's brother at the firm specifically because he was trying to flatter him and keep him from making trouble with the business (ask for his shares or to start coming into the office or something).

So yeah, Lacob's gesture is definitely a lot like that.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#23 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:09 am

spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
He tore his quad after one game...

the dichotomy between him and kd is interesting. kd got his max, four years no less, and seemingly the assumption he'll be relatively ok with the same injury. cousins has the risk factor of being a larger human but it's hard to understand him not getting one of those 2/10 deals going around at least.

This is what surprises me. At the very least why didn't the Knicks throw him 2/25 or something. They're going to suck one way or another, rather than signing 3 pf's (two with no real upside), why not take a swing and hope for a huge asset to deal next off-season? He obviously wasnt boogie this year, but guys are never themselves right after missing a year plus.

And I wouldn't have given kd that contract. I think it's a worse injury for him than for cousins.

Wonder what an orthopedic surgeon would say on the matter? I feel the complete opposite but I'm just basing that on the supposition that KD will still be able to shoot over the top of most defenders even if his burst and first step suffers a bit. 85-90% of what he was is still a top 10 player in the league.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#24 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:10 am

spearsy23 wrote:Enes Kanter, Kevon Looney, Daniel Theis, Thomas Bryant, DeAndre Jordan, Ed David, Maxi Kleber, Richaun Holmes, and Frank Kaminsky are all going to end up making more money than DeMarcus cousins next year... For reference just off Achilles tear cousins was 12th in RPM among centers last year.

I don’t get how he can’t get a taxpayers mid-level. If he was the back up center he could put up 20 and 10 in 15 minutes.

Someone is going to get a steal by signing him. Let’s see how the rest of this cap space plays out.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#25 » by Balkman32 » Wed Jul 3, 2019 3:24 am

Old Man Game wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
the dichotomy between him and kd is interesting. kd got his max, four years no less, and seemingly the assumption he'll be relatively ok with the same injury. cousins has the risk factor of being a larger human but it's hard to understand him not getting one of those 2/10 deals going around at least.

This is what surprises me. At the very least why didn't the Knicks throw him 2/25 or something. They're going to suck one way or another, rather than signing 3 pf's (two with no real upside), why not take a swing and hope for a huge asset to deal next off-season? He obviously wasnt boogie this year, but guys are never themselves right after missing a year plus.

And I wouldn't have given kd that contract. I think it's a worse injury for him than for cousins.

Wonder what an orthopedic surgeon would say on the matter? I feel the complete opposite but I'm just basing that on the supposition that KD will still be able to shoot over the top of most defenders even if his burst and first step suffers a bit. 85-90% of what he was is still a top 10 player in the league.

All 30 teams offered KD the max contract. If he flames out ain’t no one gonna say “that was a bad move at the time”.

I still have faith in Boogie. I would bring him in. If the dude comes back to anywhere near where he was you could also package him to a team that needs a center and get some assets back.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#26 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Lololololololololol
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#27 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jul 5, 2019 11:42 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lololololololololol

So he got his championships and basically wants what Russ has, his own franchise and fan worship. He needs therapy.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#28 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:43 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Please make this happen
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#29 » by Pillendreher » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:01 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Please make this happen
Broken link.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter

I wish we would have tried to acquire him once he slipped to the second round.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#31 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:20 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Boban without touch is nothing but an oddity.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:30 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I realize the sample size is small but he shot 52% from three through 9 games. Touch isn't his issue.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#33 » by spearsy23 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I realize the sample size is small but he shot 52% from three through 9 games. Touch isn't his issue.

Wait, what? He shot 36% from the free throw line last year.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:18 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Boban without touch is nothing but an oddity.

Wait, what? He shot 36% from the free throw line last year.

Where are you getting that info?
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/2483/season/2020
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#35 » by Thunder Up » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:44 pm

ehhh... who’s gonna tell him
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:57 pm

Thunder Up wrote:ehhh... who’s gonna tell him

All 8 footers look a like. :oops:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Read on Twitter
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#38 » by spearsy23 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Reads like Durant and Perk aren't exactly friendly anymore. Kinda makes you wonder if he actually burnt every bridge on the way out.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 am

Read on Twitter
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#40 » by Pillendreher » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:15 pm

It is kind of astonishing how fast perception of a player can change. Just a season ago Anthony Davis was this humble guy playing for a small market team. Now it looks like he's turned into a "I need the publicity" douchebag. Or maybe that was always the case and he just shut up while there was no clear route for him to leave New Orleans?
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder