ImageImageImage

2019 NBA Off-Season and general basketball news Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Re: 2019 NBA Off-Season and general basketball news Thread 

Post#61 » by Neeva » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:46 am

Klomp wrote:I haven't been as strong in the camp to trade Wiggins, but there may be no better time to trade him to Toronto

Or okc but not for westbrook.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#62 » by minimus » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:26 am

Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:I am sorry to tell this, shrink, but this is just another example that NBA has no real leverage if a player wants to be traded. I trade him and try to get best return possible. Sorry, to all who thinks that we should not be worried about KAT feelings, I should say we need to "maximise KAT window" starting right now.

George has TWO seasons before he can get out of his contract. Towns has FIVE.

Sure it can happen, but it probably won't.

Do you think that if PG13 had 5 yrs left it wouldn't happen? I honestly don't think so.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#63 » by King Malta » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:14 am

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:
minimus wrote:I am sorry to tell this, shrink, but this is just another example that NBA has no real leverage if a player wants to be traded. I trade him and try to get best return possible. Sorry, to all who thinks that we should not be worried about KAT feelings, I should say we need to "maximise KAT window" starting right now.

Do you think that if PG13 had 5 yrs left it wouldn't happen? I honestly don't think so.

5 years places the power well within the team's court. There's 3-4 years before they're at any risk of losing the player for nothing, so they have no need to bow down to their demands.

Regardless, I feel (and perhaps I'm being naive) that the connection KAT has with the Saunders family and the public promise he made to Flip will keep him from being an absolute dick about going elsewhere. I still expect that if this FO turns out to be awful in 3 years time that KAT will ask for a trade, but he won't do it before then and when he does he'll be less prickish about it than some other stars IMO.
minimus
RealGM

Post#64 » by minimus » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:09 am

King Malta wrote:
minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:George has TWO seasons before he can get out of his contract. Towns has FIVE.

5 years places the power well within the team's court. There's 3-4 years before they're at any risk of losing the player for nothing, so they have no need to bow down to their demands.

Regardless, I feel (and perhaps I'm being naive) that the connection KAT has with the Saunders family and the public promise he made to Flip will keep him from being an absolute dick about going elsewhere. I still expect that if this FO turns out to be awful in 3 years time that KAT will ask for a trade, but he won't do it before then and when he does he'll be less prickish about it than some other stars IMO.

I agree that KAT is being loyal and very good leader. But what just happened changes NBA history forever. Kawhi camp met with teams, they keep in secret health issues because Leonard injury is chronic so they asked not to leak information. They convinced PG13 to join LAC via sign and trade, because they have a chance to compete if LAC medical staff can find right formula to minimize Leonard pains. Klay will be same player in offense because he relies on his shot and footwork, however in defense we won't be the same, because he will lose lateral quickness. KD and Irving are meh combo, but players now decide their fate. Butler, AD sabotaged but their teams did not fine them. More importantly players understand now that it is possible to ask trade with 3 yrs left receiver is okay with high price. KAT understands it now.

One more thing. Next 2020 FA market is weak. However, 2021 FA market will be decisive for KAT future here. СJ MCCollum, Oladipo, Giannis, PG13 will be on the market. At this point KAT with high probability will get strong supporting cast and request trade. Because it just happen with PG13 with 3yrs contract left. Sure, you can say, let Wiggins stay till 2021, it will be easier to trade him later. However, I believe that FO should act proactively, clean up payroll, prepare max slot for second star AND develop your players so they will be ready for the next big step (see Siakam). After watching just one SL game my overreaction is "oh, God, Okogie still cant shoot and dribble!" however he is only 20yrs old, he needs playing time and mentoring. KBD looks far more developed player. I hope we will get rotation players in Culver and Nowell. But they also need playing time. If we trade Wiggins now, we fit this "maximise KAT window".
SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#65 » by SaintS » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:59 am

minimus wrote: But what just happened changes NBA history forever. Kawhi camp met with teams, they keep in secret health issues because Leonard injury is chronic so they asked not to leak information. They convinced PG13 to join LAC via sign and trade, because they have a chance to compete if LAC medical staff can find right formula to minimize Leonard pains. Klay will be same player in offense because he relies on his shot and footwork, however in defense we won't be the same, because he will lose lateral quickness. KD and Irving are meh combo, but players now decide their fate. Butler, AD sabotaged but their teams did not fine them. More importantly players understand now that it is possible to ask trade with 3 yrs left receiver is okay with high price. KAT understands it now.

Nice to meet you Mr. Pancenko

minimus wrote:One more thing. Next 2020 FA market is weak. However, 2021 FA market will be decisive for KAT future here. СJ MCCollum, Oladipo, Giannis, PG13 will be on the market. At this point KAT with high probability will get strong supporting cast and request trade. Because it just happen with PG13 with 3yrs contract left. Sure, you can say, let Wiggins stay till 2021, it will be easier to trade him later. However, I believe that FO should act proactively, clean up payroll, prepare max slot for second star AND develop your players so they will be ready for the next big step (see Siakam). After watching just one SL game my overreaction is "oh, God, Okogie still cant shoot and dribble!" however he is only 20yrs old, he needs playing time and mentoring. KBD looks far more developed player. I hope we will get rotation players in Culver and Nowell. But they also need playing time. If we trade Wiggins now, we fit this "maximise KAT window".

As we see from the day 1 in organisation Rosas wants to add another star.

Prio 1 of this market was Dlo
Now, as I understood he’s switch to Beal
Next I see will be Booker

For now make KAT happy is prio 1 for the organisation because winning is impossible.
minimus
RealGM

Post#66 » by minimus » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:04 am

SaintS wrote:
minimus wrote: But what just happened changes NBA history forever. Kawhi camp met with teams, they keep in secret health issues because Leonard injury is chronic so they asked not to leak information. They convinced PG13 to join LAC via sign and trade, because they have a chance to compete if LAC medical staff can find right formula to minimize Leonard pains. Klay will be same player in offense because he relies on his shot and footwork, however in defense we won't be the same, because he will lose lateral quickness. KD and Irving are meh combo, but players now decide their fate. Butler, AD sabotaged but their teams did not fine them. More importantly players understand now that it is possible to ask trade with 3 yrs left receiver is okay with high price. KAT understands it now.

Nice to meet you Mr. Pancenko

minimus wrote:One more thing. Next 2020 FA market is weak. However, 2021 FA market will be decisive for KAT future here. СJ MCCollum, Oladipo, Giannis, PG13 will be on the market. At this point KAT with high probability will get strong supporting cast and request trade. Because it just happen with PG13 with 3yrs contract left. Sure, you can say, let Wiggins stay till 2021, it will be easier to trade him later. However, I believe that FO should act proactively, clean up payroll, prepare max slot for second star AND develop your players so they will be ready for the next big step (see Siakam). After watching just one SL game my overreaction is "oh, God, Okogie still cant shoot and dribble!" however he is only 20yrs old, he needs playing time and mentoring. KBD looks far more developed player. I hope we will get rotation players in Culver and Nowell. But they also need playing time. If we trade Wiggins now, we fit this "maximise KAT window".

As we see from the day 1 in organisation Rosas wants to add another star.

Prio 1 of this market was Dlo
Now, as I understood he’s switch to Beal
Next I see will be Booker

For now make KAT happy is prio 1 for the organisation because winning is impossible.

I'm not Artem! However, happy to see another one from ru board!
SaintS
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#67 » by SaintS » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:07 am

minimus wrote:
I'm not Artem! However, happy to see another one from ru board!

i understood :wink:
it was a joke :nod:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,994

Post#68 » by shrink » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:12 am

Paul George got traded on his 3+1 because he had a little leverage (only two guaranteed years left on deal), but mostly because no team would turn down that overpay.

Even in 2020, KAT will have four guaranteed years on his deal. Even if he requested a trade, MIN would say no, and have until 2022 to even worry about it.

If players could simply demand a trade and it would happen, you would not see 1+1 or even 3+1’s. You’d see all 4 and 5 year deals, that provided maximum protection for players in case of an injury,
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#69 » by minimus » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:19 am

shrink wrote:

Paul George got traded on his 3+1 because he had a little leverage (only two guaranteed years left on deal), but mostly because no team would turn down that overpay.

In 2020, KAT will have four guaranteed years on his deal. Even if he requested a trade, MIN would say no, and have until 2022 to even worry about it.

If players could simply demand a trade and it would happen, you would not see 1+1 or even 3+1’s. You’d see all 4 and 5 year deals, that provided maximum protection for players in case of an injury,

Agree, however when we speaking about KATs window it is not only his contract years. What I am saying is that you need to be proactive, you say dont worry till 2022, when KAT might request a trade, but it will be too late. I am pointing to these 1-2 years that we need to spend to get the most out of our resources.
minimus
RealGM

Post#70 » by minimus » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:42 am

Some things I am waiting for:

* - rebuild in TOR. Looking forward if Ujiri shows any interest in Wiggins
* - blow up in OKC. No way they will pay that taxes. Where Westbrook will be traded?
* - Kevin Love trade? POR IMO should try to get him
* - Iggy trade?
* - Next Morey move

Have no idea what else might happen this offseason.
minimus
RealGM

Post#71 » by minimus » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:39 pm

Read on Twitter

OKC on fire sale!
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#72 » by jpatrick » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:43 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

OKC on fire sale!

Is Miami so desperate to trade for Russ that they would give Herro, salary filler, and convert their 2023 pick (which OKC already owns) to unprotected and throw in an unprotected 2025 first? Maybe some pick swaps? OKC could end up with the largest collection of future picks in NBA history.
minimus
RealGM

Post#73 » by minimus » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:46 pm

jpatrick wrote:
minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

OKC on fire sale!

Is Miami so desperate to trade for Russ that they would give Herro, salary filler, and convert their 2023 pick (which OKC already owns) to unprotected and throw in an unprotected 2025 first? Maybe some pick swaps? OKC could end up with the largest collection of future picks in NBA history.

Maybe DET or HOU will make run for Westbrook. Or even someone like ORL or CHA
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#74 » by Calinks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Wow. Craigers (Craig Smith) and Royce White are both in the Big 3 playing right now. Crazy! Craig Smith looks the same as he did a decade ago.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
minimus
RealGM

Post#75 » by minimus » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:55 am

Read on Twitter

We are kind of stacked at C/PF, but I'd try to get him.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#76 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 pm

minimus wrote:
Klomp wrote:

If we are going to worry about players demanding out when they have 5 years left on their contracts close down the franchise. It isn't worth it. OKC won that George trade, because George had zero leverage and the Clippers were trading not just for George, but for George and Leonard.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:14 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter

We are kind of stacked at C/PF, but I'd try to get him.

I'm not sure if he's better than what we have.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,137

Post#78 » by Calinks » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Over a month away from FIBA. Gonna be so good.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
IrishNets
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#79 » by IrishNets » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:32 pm

LA Sports Radio
@LASportsRadio
Big Baller Brand went from selling $50 t shirts to selling them for $5 at local volleyball tournaments :lol:

1:24 PM - Jul 14, 2019
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#80 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Guess Portland doesn't think highly enough of Simons to let McCollum walk....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves