ImageImageImage

Poll: What two players will win the battle for big man minutes?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

What two players will win the battle for big man minutes?

Tacko Fall
5%
Vincent Poirier
7%
Enes Kanter
42%
Robert Williams
23%
Grant Williams
8%
Daniel Theis
15%
Guerschon Yabusele
1%
Semi Ojeleye
No votes

Total votes: 146

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Poll: What two players will win the battle for big man minutes? 

Post#21 » by cloverleaf » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:33 pm

Big Joke Line wrote:I’m not as high on Robert Williams as most. I don’t remember a player looking as lost as he did making a leap to the type of player most of us are hoping for.

I'm guessing you don't remember Perk's 35 minutes his first season, creeping up to 548 his second year, and advancing every year after that until he hit a peak of 2253 in the C's championship year--his sixth year in the league. I see Rob as something of a modern version of Perk, though he didn't come straight from HS and I hope has a quicker trajectory.
jcappy
Sixth Man
And1: 515

Post#22 » by jcappy » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:15 pm

Kanter and OTHER (who will soon be here)
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
~ Muhammad Ali
GreenTeamah
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#23 » by GreenTeamah » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:15 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Big Joke Line wrote:I’m not as high on Robert Williams as most. I don’t remember a player looking as lost as he did making a leap to the type of player most of us are hoping for.

I'm guessing you don't remember Perk's 35 minutes his first season, creeping up to 548 his second year, and advancing every year after that until he hit a peak of 2253 in the C's championship year--his sixth year in the league. I see Rob as something of a modern version of Perk, though he didn't come straight from HS and I hope has a quicker trajectory.

Unfortunately we don’t have a voice like KG in the lineup, we had one but let him get away, even if we did I don’t trust Brad would play him with Al anyway he’d rather go with the positionless basketball crap where everyone has to be able to shoot...
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#24 » by Spin Move » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:42 pm

Tatum is bigger then Grant Williams, I think he will see 15 mpg at PF
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#25 » by GoGreen » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:19 pm

Apparently big Bob Williams lost 9 pounds. Not exactly a good sign regarding his work ethic. Kid was a question coming out of college. Needs to hit the gym.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#26 » by Gant » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:23 pm

GoGreen wrote:Apparently big Bob Williams lost 9 pounds. Not exactly a good sign regarding his work ethic. Kid was a question coming out of college. Needs to hit the gym.

It was 6 pounds lost, due to improving his conditioning.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#27 » by GoGreen » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:28 pm

Gant wrote:
GoGreen wrote:Apparently big Bob Williams lost 9 pounds. Not exactly a good sign regarding his work ethic. Kid was a question coming out of college. Needs to hit the gym.

Improved conditioning? According to who? Williams was questioned about it and admitted he's "still a problem." That's basically saying, "yea, I'm still good, though." That's a lazy mentality. He should be putting on weight.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#28 » by Gant » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:30 pm

GoGreen wrote:
Gant wrote:

Improved conditioning? According to who? Williams was questioned about it and admitted he's "still a problem." That's basically saying, "yea, I'm still good, though." That's a lazy mentality. He should be putting on weight.

Woof.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#29 » by darrendaye » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:43 pm

GoGreen wrote:
Gant wrote:

Umm, his term "still a problem" means he remains strong while taking off cardio weight. He's working.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#30 » by darrendaye » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:06 pm

Kanter and Theis. Theis' three point ability is proven at this stage.

Viewed another way, I might be in the minority but, I think Poirier gets the fewest minutes out of the group including Kanter, Theis and the Williamses. (checks voting tallies, actually the majority opinion)

I believe Rob Williams gets the nod for the 10th man in the rotation and Poirier and others fill in if Williams is off the reservation or if matchups dictate. Be prepared for the dreaded 11 man rotation on some nights.

BTW we really need a good nickname for Grant Williams now, right? LOL
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#31 » by Big Joke Line » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:22 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

I do but I don’t remember him getting faked out of his shoes so much. Also, I feel like a lot of folks here are talking like he has a much higher ceiling than Perk.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#32 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 8:07 am

darrendaye wrote:Kanter and Theis. Theis' three point ability is proven at this stage.

Viewed another way, I might be in the minority but, I think Poirier gets the fewest minutes out of the group including Kanter, Theis and the Williamses. (checks voting tallies, actually the majority opinion)

I believe Rob Williams gets the nod for the 10th man in the rotation and Poirier and others fill in if Williams is off the reservation or if matchups dictate. Be prepared for the dreaded 11 man rotation on some nights.

BTW we really need a good nickname for Grant Williams now, right? LOL

I think that this Poll goes right along with what will actually happen.
Kanter starts at Center, Backed up primarily by R. Williams (aka TimeLord).

Tatum (who I'm not convinced is a PF) gets the first minutes at the 4.
Theis has to get the nod at PF, behind Tatum. Followed by G. Williams.

And, I think you're spot on about Poirier. He doesn't appear to be able to Defend at the NBA level.
So, he'll probably get the least amount of minutes.

Tacko Falls wasn't in the Poll. But, I think that he'll actually do better in the long run, than does Poirier.
It remains to be seen though, what each of these player brings.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#33 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Mon Oct 7, 2019 12:55 am

I'm expecting a fairly even minute spread and Brad going with 12 man rotations as he did pre-Kyrie era. I think Kanter gets ~25 mpg and the other 40 non-Tatum minutes change unpredictably every night.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#34 » by captain green » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:25 am

I'd really like to add tacko to the fold.
Kanter can't play defence for crap.
Thies gives up to much size natural pf.
Williams is a pogo stick with no natural skills and ticking time bomb until surgery.
Poirer is unknown.
Add in a guy like tacko to exploit a 4 to 5 minute stretch. Put him on defense inbounding plays and other etc.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#35 » by robbie84 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:42 am

I think Grant Williams will eventually be the starting C or PF for this team in most games- depending on match ups. Given the size ofsome opponents, like the 76ers, Grant will probably play PF and Kanter will be guarding Embid if we ever meet them in the playoffs. I guess then Hayward or Brown would come off the bench in that situation.

The 76ers are going to be very, very good with Embid and Horford lol.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.

Return to Boston Celtics