ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 242 preview how Poirier might beat Khabib

Moderators: mrpoetryNmotion, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada, Capn'O, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, j4remi, NoLayupRule, K-DOT, Thugger HBC

User avatar
islanders11040
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,677
And1: 5,133
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
Location: New York
       

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#121 » by islanders11040 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:20 am

WOAAHHHHHHHH
BAT 18: Atlanta Hawks
PG: James Harden, Frank Mason, CJ Watson
SG: Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, Frank Jackson
SF: Brandon Ingram, OG Anunoby, Corey Brewer
PF: Taj Gibson, Miles Plumlee, Henry Ellenson
C: Tristian Thompson, Bam Adebayo,Harry Giles
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,305
And1: 3,934
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#123 » by waya » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:26 am

That was f*cking insane.

You never see that in sh*tty prelims, much less one of the most anticipated fights of the year lol
User avatar
GEOLINK
Head Coach
Posts: 6,789
And1: 5,205
Joined: Mar 16, 2014
       

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#124 » by GEOLINK » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:29 am

I love wrestlers getting knocked out with a knee coming in.

Something so satisfying about that.
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,305
And1: 3,934
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#125 » by waya » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:34 am

GEOLINK wrote:I love wrestlers getting knocked out with a knee coming in.

Something so satisfying about that.


As a big fan of Khabib, can't say I feel the same :lol:

Although it was awesome in this case. Part of me thinks Askren is entertaining and the other part really wanted to see him humbled.
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,110
And1: 21,787
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#127 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:51 am

GEOLINK wrote:KO of the f*cking year.

I need Dustin to do that to Khabib.


[img]
Read on Twitter
[/img]
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,305
And1: 3,934
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#129 » by waya » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:46 am

F*ck that injury.

Jones split-decisioned a guy with a bum knee for 80% of the fight
User avatar
Fury
Knicks Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
Posts: 19,895
And1: 10,053
Joined: Mar 07, 2007
       

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#130 » by Fury » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:50 am

Santos robbed

What did Jones do other than benefit from Santos’s injured leg?
User avatar
waya
RealGM
Posts: 14,305
And1: 3,934
Joined: Feb 14, 2007
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#131 » by waya » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:54 am

Fury wrote:Santos robbed

What did Jones do other than benefit from Santos’s injured leg?

Fight could definitely have been 3-2 Santos but you already know they're gonna lean in favor of Jones in a close fight 10 times out of 10
User avatar
swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
Posts: 8,868
And1: 3,658
Joined: Jan 26, 2007
Location: Tonight's The Night
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#132 » by swisscheeseD » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:55 am

Chicago Bulls

PG: M.Conley / D.Rose / Y.Ferrell
SG: E.Turner / M.Belinelli / A.Simons
SF: K.Leonard / P.Connaughton / L.Stephenson / J.Ennis
PF: T.Young / M.Williams / N.Mirotic
C: D.Favors / M.Harrell
Jscratch1200
Freshman
Posts: 64
And1: 62
Joined: Feb 02, 2019
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#133 » by Jscratch1200 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:59 am

Not sure why Jones didn't try taking this to the ground. Santos was obviously a threat at all times while standing.

Extremely close fight, both did a great job keeping the other in check with their leg kicks. Really could have went either way and I wouldn't argue the decision.
Jscratch1200
Freshman
Posts: 64
And1: 62
Joined: Feb 02, 2019
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#134 » by Jscratch1200 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:05 am

waya wrote:
Fury wrote:Santos robbed

What did Jones do other than benefit from Santos’s injured leg?

Fight could definitely have been 3-2 Santos but you already know they're gonna lean in favor of Jones in a close fight 10 times out of 10
Felt like rounds 1&5 Santos won and 3&4 Jones won. I don't remember either of them standing out too much round 2 and they may have given it to Jones due to the strikes landed. Jones seemed to control the fight more, but Santos had Jones in trouble more times throughout the fight.

It sucks when a fight is left in the judge's hands to call.
User avatar
Strick
Starter
Posts: 2,483
And1: 2,034
Joined: Jun 25, 2015
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#135 » by Strick » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:42 am

Admittedly, I'm a big JBJ fan. I think that fight could have gone either way. If the decision was Santos I would have been disappointed but it would be nearly impossible for me to argue it. Santos is a scary MF. That dude throws everything with serious power.

Haven't seen Jones fight like that in a long time, if ever. He clearly respected the power Santos had. Crazy to see Jones carried off and Santos walked off. I'd really be interested in a rematch once Santos gets his knee fixed. Those leg kicks were seriously hurting Jon. I do think that played into why he didn't go for takedowns. Also you have to get in serious danger range vs Santos to land a takedown.

Overall I thought it was a good chess match between two dangerous fighters in their own right. Obviously it wasn't the most exciting to a lot of fans but I do love those calculated chess matches mixed in with the obvious thrillers
User avatar
Strick
Starter
Posts: 2,483
And1: 2,034
Joined: Jun 25, 2015
     

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#136 » by Strick » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:45 am

I will say that was a great card though. Rockhold got knocked into another dimension. Hasn't been the same since Bisping. I thought he looked pretty damn slow at 205.

Masvidal vs Askren was ridiculous. I was going for Jorge hard and was expecting a really interesting fight. That flying knee has to go down as one of the greatest knockouts ever. Easily one of the craziest things I've seen in the UFC.

Amanda is insane. I seriously don't know how she has 4 losses. Who beat her and how? He had to have been mad raw during that time or something, because she is on a different planet than other excellent women in the UFC
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 54,055
And1: 22,423
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#137 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:04 pm

No steroids for this fight but you can bet you bottom dollar that if he fought DC again, he'd be back on that shyt.

Also, I'm devastated by Askren getting KO'd like that. He practically put his head on a tee and said to Jorge "Ok, let's see what you got. Knee me square on the chin. Go ahead, I dare ya."
Image
User avatar
NoStatsGuy
Starter
Posts: 2,138
And1: 646
Joined: Feb 14, 2010
Location: Germany
 

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#138 » by NoStatsGuy » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:09 pm

My boy masvidal.. woooooooh

Damn!

Till, askren.. colby is next. Lets fking go
im bout dat action boss
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 54,055
And1: 22,423
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#139 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:10 pm

Strick wrote:I will say that was a great card though. Rockhold got knocked into another dimension. Hasn't been the same since Bisping. I thought he looked pretty damn slow at 205.

Masvidal vs Askren was ridiculous. I was going for Jorge hard and was expecting a really interesting fight. That flying knee has to go down as one of the greatest knockouts ever. Easily one of the craziest things I've seen in the UFC.

Amanda is insane. I seriously don't know how she has 4 losses. Who beat her and how? He had to have been mad raw during that time or something, because she is on a different planet than other excellent women in the UFC


Rockhold was REAL slow. He had nothing. He should go back to 185 and then go to Bellator. I have to say I do enjoy seeing him get SMESH.
Image
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,110
And1: 21,787
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Gus retires, UFC 238 Cowboy vs Ferguson plus two title fights 

Post#140 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:34 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Strick wrote:I will say that was a great card though. Rockhold got knocked into another dimension. Hasn't been the same since Bisping. I thought he looked pretty damn slow at 205.

Masvidal vs Askren was ridiculous. I was going for Jorge hard and was expecting a really interesting fight. That flying knee has to go down as one of the greatest knockouts ever. Easily one of the craziest things I've seen in the UFC.

Amanda is insane. I seriously don't know how she has 4 losses. Who beat her and how? He had to have been mad raw during that time or something, because she is on a different planet than other excellent women in the UFC


Rockhold was REAL slow. He had nothing. He should go back to 185 and then go to Bellator. I have to say I do enjoy seeing him get SMESH.


Luke is a giant doosh

He was on a dating show and grabbed his date's ass and asked do you spit or swallow?

You can see it here

I've disliked him for that plus his disrespectful sore loser performance after Bisping cleaned his clock

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks