ImageImageImage

Do you want Westbrook on our team?

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Do you want Westbrook on our team?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 122

delanka
Veteran
And1: 16,314

Re: Do you want Westbrook on our team? 

Post#21 » by delanka » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:58 pm

shanedude
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,694

Post#22 » by shanedude » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:01 pm

At absolutely pains me to say say it, but Justise can go if it's absolutely Necessary to sweeten the deal for OKC. Along with Dragic/jj and whatever filler. No more kids. No picks.
Tyler Gang or Die
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,368

Post#23 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:25 pm

DefenseWins wrote:Pros: Dynamic scorer, MVP, 8-time All-Star, triple double machine, superstar
Cons: Bad contract, may have to give up our future for him, his game may not age well due to reliance on athleticism (some people say this isnt true... a guard getting 10 rebs a night is out jumping bigs), his age WITH that contract

It puts us in battling for the East multiple years, but our cast cant be depleted for this guy. I would be mad if we gave up Winslow/Bam AND Herro for this guy. Only one can go if that had to be the case, or NONE and use future picks. We already dont have much picks either. In a rut

This allll depends on Riles... who is 74! Wasted 4 years on panic contracts. Panic signings. East is open AGAIN! Bucks/Sixers favorites. We can be that 3rd best team. It would be great for the franchise and fans to be RELEVANT again.

It sounds so good on paper with Westbrook/Butler... but the supprting cast counts too and being gutted for Westbrook, I just don’t know! A part of me says yes, but at what cost?!?

The issue with Russ IMO is simple - He's currently overrated. What I mean by that is - his current style of play and behavior doesn't contribute to winning as much as you would expect looking at this contract. He's also 30YO.

The reason I'm still not quick to completely rule him out is - Russel HAS THE TOOLS to be much better, and more W's orientated, in a different system under different coaching.

If he finally realize he needs to change his game and attitude, He's very capable of becoming a superb defender, rim finisher, FT getter, overall hard playing menace. H'ell need to finally start playing under control, shoot less, play smart D, improve shot selection, but if does that - I do think he's capable of being a game changer because he's still a freak athlete with some undeniable skills.

Can he make that change in his age? I don't know.
Should we sell the farm in order to find out? Hell no.

But if we can get his for cheap (meaning, No Justise/Bam/Herro/Future FRP) - they it might be worth the gamble.

In our system, If he can smarten up - The guy can really be worth his contract.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,368

Post#24 » by RexBoyWonder » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:39 pm

My offer for Westbrook will look something like :

Dragic + Kelly (or Lenoard) + DJJ.

Maybe add Okpala if we had to.

I doubt teams are offering OKC super enticing offers for Russel, not many teams need his contract or can trade for him. And OKC are in a hard spot, don't think he wants to stay for a rebuild.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#25 » by Maroko » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:53 pm

contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#26 » by contract » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:02 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:Do you?

What's the alternative?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Maroko
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Maroko » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:16 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:My offer for Westbrook will look something like :

Dragic + Kelly (or Lenoard) + DJJ.

Maybe add Okpala if we had to.

I doubt teams are offering OKC super enticing offers for Russel, not many teams need his contract or can trade for him. And OKC are in a hard spot, don't think he wants to stay for a rebuild.

Here is what i wrote during the playoffs

source : https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=74557734#p74557734

So i think we could face the competition of small markets which know they have no shot at the title. A owner who will bring some excitment in his arena. Westbrook is a great entertainer.
But we got a leverage : Westbrook, i think OKC owes him to be able to choose where he wants to play
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,191

Post#28 » by Bishop45 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:19 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:The guy can really be worth his contract.

He'll be getting paid 47 M's in 2022-23 season
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#29 » by DefenseWins » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:23 pm

Bishop45 wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:The guy can really be worth his contract.

He'll be getting paid 47 M's in 2022-23 season

At 33/34... on the decline :box:
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#30 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:23 pm

Maroko wrote:So i think we could face the competition of small markets which know they have no shot at the title. A owner who will bring some excitment in his arena. Westbrook is a great entertainer.
But we got a leverage : Westbrook, i think OKC owes him to be able to choose where he wants to play

We? You a Heat fan now?
OP for NBA FT record
Maroko
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Maroko » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:31 pm

HeatFanLifer wrote:
Maroko wrote:
Spoiler:
So i think we could face the competition of small markets which know they have no shot at the title. A owner who will bring some excitment in his arena. Westbrook is a great entertainer.

We? You a Heat fan now?

abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#32 » by abark » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:33 pm

DefenseWins wrote:Pros: Dynamic scorer, MVP, 8-time All-Star, triple double machine, superstar
Cons: Bad contract, may have to give up our future for him, his game may not age well due to reliance on athleticism (some people say this isnt true... a guard getting 10 rebs a night is out jumping bigs), his age WITH that contract

It puts us in battling for the East multiple years, but our cast cant be depleted for this guy. I would be mad if we gave up Winslow/Bam AND Herro for this guy. Only one can go if that had to be the case, or NONE and use future picks. We already dont have much picks either. In a rut

This allll depends on Riles... who is 74! Wasted 4 years on panic contracts. Panic signings. East is open AGAIN! Bucks/Sixers favorites. We can be that 3rd best team. It would be great for the franchise and fans to be RELEVANT again.

It sounds so good on paper with Westbrook/Butler... but the supprting cast counts too and being gutted for Westbrook, I just don’t know! A part of me says yes, but at what cost?!?

Not entirely true.

From my previous post...

"And lastly, it simply is a fact that his team has gifted him rebounds for years. Last year his contested rebound percentage was 16%. That's around the same number as Waiters, Kris Dunn, and Devin Booker. There are simply no other high volume rebounders with even close to that low a number. There aren't even any non-guards in that vicinity. He's obviously better than the guys I listed, but his double digit boards are fools gold."
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#33 » by HeatFanLifer » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:44 pm

Maroko wrote:
HeatFanLifer wrote:
Maroko wrote:
Spoiler:

We? You a Heat fan now?

Just remember, when you’re a Heat fan, you’re a lifer.

Spoiler:
I didn’t realize I have almost 20,000 And1’s, thx.
OP for NBA FT record
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,552

Post#34 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:13 pm

Nope. Him being a bad contract is inevitable.

I'd rather just roll with the young guys, let the bad contracts expire, then we'll be a player in free agency
Rafly
Starter
And1: 10,501

Post#35 » by Rafly » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:48 pm

He’s coming.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#36 » by abark » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:53 pm

And part of you doesn't feel that trading picks and prospects to build a team with an aging Butler and Westbrook is just a big name version of those previous panic signings. We aren't winning much with them after giving up what's needed to aquire Westbrook.

We had a chance to wait out the last of our awful deals for 2 more years. Then we could have entered the summer of 2021 with a prime Winslow, JRich, Bam, and Herro being our only players on the books as of now. All of them making 13 million or less.

This is Miami. Players want to play here and I think we could have easily pulled in 2 max level guys to join them.

Instead we traded a pick to get a 30 year old Butler. And we had to stretch waive Andersen, which means 5.5 million dollars of dead cap for the next three years.

Now you want to give up more assets for a 31 year old Westbrook. Westbrook and Butler would be 34/35 by the time we got out of those contracts.

Honestly, this situation that's happening now feels like panic mode all over again.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,026

Post#37 » by heatwillbeback » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:10 pm

For the right price, yes.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#38 » by SlowPaced » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:40 pm

Depends on what we give up for him.

If it's without giving up Winslow or Bam, hell yeah. Westbrook was my favorite player in the game for a couple of years after Wade was past his prime. Would be cool to see him playing for the Heat.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#39 » by contract » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:55 pm

abark wrote:

And part of you doesn't feel that trading picks and prospects to build a team with an aging Butler and Westbrook is just a big name version of those previous panic signings. We aren't winning much with them after giving up what's needed to aquire Westbrook.

We had a chance to wait out the last of our awful deals for 2 more years. Then we could have entered the summer of 2021 with a prime Winslow, JRich, Bam, and Herro being our only players on the books as of now. All of them making 13 million or less.

This is Miami. Players want to play here and I think we could have easily pulled in 2 max level guys to join them.

Instead we traded a pick for to get a 30 year old Butler. And we had to stretch waive Andersen, which means 5.5 million dollars of dead cap for the next three years.

Now you want to give up more assets for a 31 Westbrook. Westbrook and Butler would be 34/35 by the time we got out of those contracts.

Honestly, this situation that's happening now feels like panic mode all over again.

It is, but the ball is already rolling so ...

There's no turning back now. We're going to have to settle for exciting and "competitive" ... assuming the whole thing doesn't blow up in Pat's face.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
El Alonzo scowl
Starter
And1: 5,359

Post#40 » by El Alonzo scowl » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:07 pm

Absolutely. Stars win titles in this league, there is no overwhelming favorite this season. We've traded for one star already, it's time to complete the plan and acquire another one.

Return to Miami Heat