ImageImageImageImageImage

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Crafty919
Ballboy
And1: 6

Re: Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1501 » by Crafty919 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:56 pm

Crane08 wrote:Sup everyone what are your thoughts on RHJ?

I believed he signed with the Raptors now.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,572

Post#1502 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:27 pm

-needs to improve range from downtown

-defends all positions

-decent rebounder

-better decision making when he pushes the ball in transition, tends to get out of control

-good at getting to the line

-great attitude, plays at 120mph at all times. Fun teammate.

-not sure what position he plays outside of the Nets system.

Treat him well, he's a great guy.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#1503 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:31 pm

Ahh man sad to see Rondbae go, hope he expands his game, this is as good as an opportunity for him up there in Toronto.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1504 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:07 pm

-needs to improve range from downtown

-defends all positions

-decent rebounder

-better decision making when he pushes the ball in transition, tends to get out of control

-good at getting to the line

-great attitude, plays at 120mph at all times. Fun teammate.

-not sure what position he plays outside of the Nets system.

Treat him well, he's a great guy.

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,175

Post#1505 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:16 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I always find it funny that people act like Jordan’s deal is some albatross of a contract. With the new cap, he’s literally less than 1/10th of the team’s total salary cap. That’s an easily tradable/filler contract.

The hate from some people is just oozing. There are no downsides to have Jordan on the team. We essentially got him for free.

I was just saying how the star players were able to get what they want. I like DJ with Allen. Honestly didn’t think it was possible and that’s why I threw out names like Gortat and Robin Lopez previously. Please don’t misconstrue my comment on player empowerment with complaining about a potential bad deal. (But maybe you’re just referencing a lot of social media who’s hating on the player and deal? Bc I’ve seen that too)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I wasn’t referring to you. My bad...I should’ve been more clear.

I was referring to fans of opposing teams who magnify the imperfections of the Nets roster as massive problems. No team is perfect. The better you are, the more flaws people find, and the greater the criticisms are, regardless of whether they are legitimate or not.

I don’t like “sneak dissing”. I would’ve quoted you if I wanted to disagree with a specific point that you made lol.

Got yah, I have a lot of respect for you from the way you carry yourself on here and didn’t think you were throwing any shade, but I just wanted to be clear that I actually liked the DJ signing.

I think the DJ stuff being overblown as a bad signing is coming from either Knicks fans who are sore over losing out in free agency, or people who want to jump on the Nets with a “lol you signed him and he’s not even the same player anymore” diss. Hopefully he does wonders for Allen in getting him to toughen up.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#1506 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:55 am

If he returns to his 17-18 season form, he's a pretty good player. If its more of what he showed this year, then he's one year away from being out of the NBA.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1507 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:23 am

DarkXaero wrote:
If he returns to his 17-18 season form, he's a pretty good player. If its more of what he showed this year, then he's one year away from being out of the NBA.

Yeah, his regression was/is baffling.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#1508 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:16 pm

Kinda mad that JaMychal Green signed the same kind of 2 year deal with the Clippers at the end of free agency, that Garrett Temple did with us. Green would have been a way better fit and far better value for us on that money.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Post#1509 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:48 pm

Damn we could of got JaMychel Green for the same money we gave Temple SMH and he's a better fit/need. Jerami Grant would of also been a good fit but I rather not give up a 1st round pick for him.
jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#1510 » by jeff1624 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:53 pm

DarkXaero wrote:Kinda mad that JaMychal Green signed the same kind of 2 year deal with the Clippers at the end of free agency, that Garrett Temple did with us. Green would have been a way better fit and far better value for us on that money.

I'd argue that the Temple contract is one of the worst signings of this offseason. It came as one of the very first agreements on june 30th, something that should only be reserved for top tier stars/role players. He didn't fill a position of need, nor is he a potential high upside guy since he's already 33 years old.

So many guys that could have been available to us at that price range (avery bradley, markieff morris, jamychal green, trey lyles, iman shumpert, plus a handful of other players).

The only thing that would alleviate that is if temples signing was necessary to further appease kyrie and/or durant (though I don't why it would to be honest).
Dat Leadership
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1511 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:05 pm

Marks wanted Temple here for a reason. I will sit back and patiently watch. I'm not second guessing this man.

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#1512 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Marks wanted Temple here for a reason. I will sit back and patiently watch. I'm not second guessing this man.

Exactly.

He clearly fits the Marks/Atkinson of the type of two-way, multi-positional perimeter player. He'll be a good mentor for a young team. Plus, unlike the other players who took similarly sized deals, Temple agreed to a team option in the 2nd year. We must have cap flexibility in mind, and may also see him as a future desirable vanishing contract, for a team looking to clear payroll.

I've never been a huge fan, but folks in SAC and MEM rave about him. I am fine with Garrett, contract and all.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#1513 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:05 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Marks wanted Temple here for a reason. I will sit back and patiently watch. I'm not second guessing this man.
I know why he wanted Temple, and its not for on the court reasons. And that's fair enough. Obviously, I don't want to criticize Marks much after the summer we've just had, but Green was the perfect fit here. And by all accounts, dude is a hard working guy and not an issue in the locker room. Temple, on the other hand, is worthy of vet minimum, so I feel like we could have always signed him afterwards either way. Green was actually my #1 choice for PF signing this summer (on the assumption that we were getting KD & Kyrie), but after I realized that we wouldn't have the full MLE, I thought that Green would be out of our price range. Now it turns out that he wasn't, and we could have signed him for room exception. And then we could have added Garrett Temple for vet minimum.

Now we still have to resort to playing a SF at 4 (Prince), and hope that he can handle that kind of workload. His backup options are Kurucs and Chandler, and neither of them are ideal fits at 4. If Allen is going to be a starter or our main center, then it was important to have a hard working natural PF next to him, who could rebound, play defense, and stretch the floor. JaMychal Green was that guy.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1514 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:08 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
I know why he wanted Temple, and its not for on the court reasons. And that's fair enough. Obviously, I don't want to criticize Marks much after the summer we've just had, but Green was the perfect fit here. And by all accounts, dude is a hard working guy and not an issue in the locker room. Temple, on the other hand, is worthy of vet minimum, so I feel like we could have always signed him afterwards either way. Green was actually my #1 choice for PF signing this summer (on the assumption that we were getting KD & Kyrie), but after I realized that we wouldn't have the full MLE, I thought that Green would be out of our price range. Now it turns out that he wasn't, and we could have signed him for room exception. And then we could have added Garrett Temple for vet minimum.

I think Green would have been a solid pick up, but we do not know if Temple was going to take the minimum.

Temple is probably going to get plenty of PT, his game is what Kenny wants: three point shooting and gritty defense.

DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#1515 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

I think Green would have been a solid pick up, but we do not know if Temple was going to take the minimum.

Temple is probably going to get plenty of PT, his game is what Kenny wants: three point shooting and gritty defense.
Better players than Temple have taken the vet minimum this summer. Going by his journeyman career, and his on court production, I refuse to believe that Temple couldn't have been signed for vet minimum. He's 33 years of age, an average shooter, and his stats over the years have been mediocre at best. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Temple on this roster, I'm sure he can contribute here, and if he brings in good defense, that's really welcome. But not at the cost of using up our room exception, which could have addressed a far bigger need (a starting 4).
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1516 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:20 pm

DarkXaero wrote:

Now we still have to resort to playing a SF at 4 (Prince), and hope that he can handle that kind of workload. His backup options are Kurucs and Chandler, and neither of them are ideal fits at 4. If Allen is going to be a starter or our main center, then it was important to have a hard working natural PF next to him, who could rebound, play defense, and stretch the floor. JaMychal Green was that guy.

i dont know what needs to happen before people realize we dont have a traditional 4 in our system. we have 2 gaurds, 2 wings and a big. Prince and kurucs are the ideal 4s here. chandler too before he became a corpse. Green is an ok player... i dont think he is any better then temple and doesnt provide the leadership temple will. not that green is a bad guy.

We have Prince, Kurucs and claxton who is basically the same mold as kurucs. i dont even see where greens minutes would come in.

only argument i see over temple is avery bradley and even then i dont think he'd choose us over LA
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1517 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:21 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I know why he wanted Temple, and its not for on the court reasons. And that's fair enough. Obviously, I don't want to criticize Marks much after the summer we've just had, but Green was the perfect fit here. And by all accounts, dude is a hard working guy and not an issue in the locker room. Temple, on the other hand, is worthy of vet minimum, so I feel like we could have always signed him afterwards either way. Green was actually my #1 choice for PF signing this summer (on the assumption that we were getting KD & Kyrie), but after I realized that we wouldn't have the full MLE, I thought that Green would be out of our price range. Now it turns out that he wasn't, and we could have signed him for room exception. And then we could have added Garrett Temple for vet minimum.

Better players than Temple have taken the vet minimum this summer. Going by his journeyman career, and his on court production, I refuse to believe that Temple couldn't have been signed for vet minimum. He's 33 years of age, an average shooter, and his stats over the years have been mediocre at best. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Temple on this roster, I'm sure he can contribute here, and if he brings in good defense, that's really welcome. But not at the cost of using up our room exception, which could have addressed a far bigger need (a starting 4).

we dont have a need for a starting 4. we have kurucs and prince
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#1518 » by DarkXaero » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:24 pm

Not interested in arguing with you prokorov, not interested in wasting my time.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1519 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:28 am

A statement from the real Prok.

Read on Twitter

“Woo” [inside voice.]
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1520 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:47 am

DarkXaero wrote:Kinda mad that JaMychal Green signed the same kind of 2 year deal with the Clippers at the end of free agency, that Garrett Temple did with us. Green would have been a way better fit and far better value for us on that money.
It's impossible to know whether Green would've taken us over LAC, if the money were the same. They look better than us on paper, especially for this upcoming season.

Maybe Green could've been locked up early like Temple was, and therefore never given the opportunity to wait for the Clippers, but a lot of non-stars wait for the stars to move first before signing to a deal in the hopes that: 1) a team who didn't sign other players will overpay them OR 2) they can get a better assessment of which teams are the best contenders, giving them greater odds at winning a title.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Return to Brooklyn Nets