ImageImageImage

Do you want Westbrook on our team?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Do you want Westbrook on our team?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 122

dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,177

Re: Do you want Westbrook on our team? 

Post#41 » by dolphinatik » Sun Jul 7, 2019 8:17 pm

as presently constructed no.
if we still had whiteside yes.

WB ball dominance and the attention he draws would be perfect with a big that takes up space.

but if the trade is right then we have to so it, ie they take back DIon and pieces
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#42 » by No-Man » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:15 pm

I think OKC is going to trade Russ to a good situation and the Heat could get him for relatively cheap
The Bunk
Senior
And1: 1,200

Post#43 » by The Bunk » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:50 pm

Yesterday, no. Today, yes.
spectrec130
Starter
And1: 1,813

Post#44 » by spectrec130 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:17 pm

No to Westbrook... Bad enough giving out bad contracts to bench/role players but to do that to over 30 players on the decline on brutal contracts is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#45 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:33 am

Yes to Eastbrook 8-) .
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,334

Post#46 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:27 am

what.. he's a locker room cancer and ball hogging chucker... he manipulated his stats to get a triple double season by not playing any defense.

is this a serious thread? I thought more people hated Westbrick?

Please watch this and tell me you want this scrub on our team?

"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
somerandomdude
Analyst
And1: 8,472

Post#47 » by somerandomdude » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:25 am

There's some rebounds by Westbrook that I don't like, but I think people forget that you want the ball in your PG's hands after a defensive rebound. Not only does it allow you to get out on a fast break or set up some transition offense, but there's always the risk of a turnover after one of your bigs rebounds the ball and tries to get it to a ball handler. And it's not often that your bigs will bring up the ball anyway, so Westbrook cuts the middleman out of the equation.

There's two occurences (Maybe more, feel free to add) when this can be a problem:
- When a turnover occurs because two guys were fighting over a rebound.
- When a player is leaving their defender wide open which results in an open shot or a missed assignment

If that happens, then you have legitimate arguments.

There's a lot of things that Westbrook will need to change if he's ever going to become a championship caliber PG, and that'll be tough for a guy his age (unless they're tired of losing).

But I think the Heat will be about as good as any team at being able to get him to change.

And there's a possibility that Westbrook may want to shed the label that he's an inefficient, stat-padding cancer who no one wants to play with, by winning an NBA title. Regardless what a player says, that kinda criticism must bother them and there's nothing that drives an athlete more than shutting people up.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#48 » by Pure_Basketball » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:33 am

Yes. Even if we don't win a championship it's going to be much more compelling viewing then what we have had to watch the last couple of years.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#49 » by contract » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:19 am

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:what.. he's a locker room cancer and ball hogging chucker... he manipulated his stats to get a triple double season by not playing any defense.

Before this is over, you're going to have to change your name to "Raging Heat Fan".

I'm trying to think of a scenario where this doesn't just go nuclear on us, and haven't been able to come up with any. Even if OKC packaged Westbrook with multiple 1st round picks, and only took back contracts we'd like to move, this sounds like a horrible idea. He turns 31 Nov 12th, and he has 4 years left on his contract at massive and growing salaries ...

$38,178,000
$41,006,000
$43,848,000
$46,662,000 ... player option :lol:

And he doesn't listen to anyone. He's low IQ and selfish as all hell.

If we make this trade and it doesn't work (and of course it won't), we will be married to Westbrook and Butler for 4 years, with the 2 of them eating up > 65% of our cap ... 70% counting Ryan Anderson's stretched salary ... and no easy way out of any of it.

So basically I'm 50/50 on this move. :lol:
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,334

Post#50 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:46 am

somerandomdude wrote:There's some rebounds by Westbrook that I don't like, but I think people forget that you want the ball in your PG's hands after a defensive rebound. Not only does it allow you to get out on a fast break or set up some transition offense, but there's always the risk of a turnover after one of your bigs rebounds the ball and tries to get it to a ball handler. And it's not often that your bigs will bring up the ball anyway, so Westbrook cuts the middleman out of the equation.

There's two occurences (Maybe more, feel free to add) when this can be a problem:
- When a turnover occurs because two guys were fighting over a rebound.
- When a player is leaving their defender wide open which results in an open shot or a missed assignment

If that happens, then you have legitimate arguments.

There's a lot of things that Westbrook will need to change if he's ever going to become a championship caliber PG, and that'll be tough for a guy his age (unless they're tired of losing).

But I think the Heat will be about as good as any team at being able to get him to change.

And there's a possibility that Westbrook may want to shed the label that he's an inefficient, stat-padding cancer who no one wants to play with, by winning an NBA title. Regardless what a player says, that kinda criticism must bother them and there's nothing that drives an athlete more than shutting people up.

It's the opposite. Westbrick is ruining his teams fast breaks by being under the basket and then dribbling all the way down. If he would just let the bigs rebound and let them outlet pass to start the fastbreak, to a running Westbrook thats already near half court, then THATS how you get fast breaks. But westbrick is grabbing the boards and then having to dribble the entire length of court. No fastbreaks.

And "Some" you don't like?

The guy is not playing defense to try and get rebounds for a stat line.

How can anyone like a player like that?

look at this ****. Westbrick literally stops playing defense and camps the paint trying to stat pad rebounds.

**** Russel westbrick. Literally, if you name 2 players in the NBA whom I dislike, it's Lebron james and russell westbrick

If we trade for this team cancerous ball hog stat padder, ill vomit.

"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#51 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:03 pm

contract wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:what.. he's a locker room cancer and ball hogging chucker... he manipulated his stats to get a triple double season by not playing any defense.

Before this is over, you're going to have to change your name to "Raging Heat Fan".

I'm trying to think of a scenario where this doesn't just go nuclear on us, and haven't been able to come up with any. Even if OKC packaged Westbrook with multiple 1st round picks, and only took back contracts we'd like to move, this sounds like a horrible idea. He turns 31 Nov 12th, and he has 4 years left on his contract at massive and growing salaries ...

$38,178,000
$41,006,000
$43,848,000

If we make this trade and it doesn't work (and of course it won't), we will be married to Westbrook and Butler for 4 years, with the 2 of them eating up > 65% of our cap ... 70% counting Ryan Anderson's stretched salary ... and no easy way out of any of it.

The alternative is wasting the rest of Butler’s prime. As an outsider, I think you guys should go for it.

Westbrook + Butler would be ridiculously fun to watch, and maybe those two lunatics would get the best out of each other
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#52 » by Flash4thewin » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:29 pm

Yes, he would be our best player and the face of the franchise. Also we have no choice since we traded for Butler and promised him star help. The way i see it with Butler here, we are on the clock to compete today, like Pat says with his actions, bleep youth, you dont win with youth and we are on a win now time table. The other issue i see is that while Butler is 30, he’s an old 30, remember all the wear and tear he has gone though with Thibs, we realistically might have 2 years left at an elite level if that. That makes trading for Westbrook all that more pressing.

The only young player we need to keep is Bam because we need the size and his small contract. Herro and Winslow are as good as gone, OKC let Waiter leave, they are not going to get him back. Pat prides himself in finding gems in the D-league, thats how we will fill out the rest of the roster.

Westbrook
Waiters
Butler
JJ ?
Bam

Also i dont get this Westbrook hate, calling him a team cancer while we traded for Butler lol. Ask the Wolves what they think for Butler and you will hear cancer pop up, didnt they even call him Sprewell 2.0 lol. One mans cancer is another teams foundation player.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,791

Post#53 » by greg4012 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:33 pm

twix2500 wrote:It depends on what the team has to give up. If he is cheap like Butler or less then yes.

Russell Westbrook Shot chart last year

This is my answer, as well
contract
RealGM

Post#54 » by contract » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:12 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:
contract wrote:

$38,178,000
$41,006,000
$43,848,000

The alternative is wasting the rest of Butler’s prime. As an outsider, I think you guys should go for it.

Westbrook + Butler would be ridiculously fun to watch, and maybe those two lunatics would get the best out of each other

I agree that we have to bring in another "star" player so as to not waste the remainder of Butler's prime. That's certain. And I know that there are a limited number of players of that caliber available ... generally in the scratch and dent bin. But this just has train wreck written all over it. I think it would be wiser to wait until the trade deadline to see if a better option becomes available.

But then again, if this is what Pat wants to do, then lets go ahead and hop on board the crazy train with no brakes. IMO this would be so disastrous that it would lead to the end of Spo as head coach, and Pat as team president.

It would take us years to recover, but it's going to take us years to recover now anyway.

So like I said ... 50/50. :nod:
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,214

Post#55 » by Heat3 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 5:27 pm

People were bitching about how much money Goran was getting. Now it is peanuts in comparison. Westbrook is getting a ton of money, but any other max player is getting that money too and more as time moves on. By the time his 3rd and 4th year come along other guys will under contract for $50M, $55M, $60M. We'll be as tied to his contract in year 4 as we were to Whiteside's and possibly Goran's.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 10,820

Post#56 » by BFRESH44 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:04 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:Yes, he would be our best player and the face of the franchise. Also we have no choice since we traded for Butler and promised him star help.

Source: anus
contract
RealGM

Post#57 » by contract » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:47 pm

Heat3 wrote:People were bitching about how much money Goran was getting. Now it is peanuts in comparison. Westbrook is getting a ton of money, but any other max player is getting that money too and more as time moves on. By the time his 3rd and 4th year come along other guys will under contract for $50M, $55M, $60M. We'll be as tied to his contract in year 4 as we were to Whiteside's and possibly Goran's.

I don't know anyone that bitched about what Dragic got. He signed pretty cheap. There were fans worried about having to re-sign him to a max contract, but he didn't sign for anywhere near that.

Dragic's first year salary under a max contract would have been ~ $21 million

Dragic's first year salary under his actual contract was only ~ $14.8 million
Chessboxer
Analyst
And1: 598

Post#58 » by Chessboxer » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:10 am

Nope. Impulsive, terrible decision maker and mediocre at best in the playoffs. Bad contract. Yes I know it sounds harsh but I just don't like his game.
" What I do is attack your ability. I don't have to stand over you and taunt you. You'll know when it's done that I'm better."

-Micheal Jordan
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#59 » by donkeylips » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:18 am

Only if it includes waiters and James johnson
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#60 » by Wolfy1983 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:07 am

I don't see Riles including his Kentucky boys in any deal for Westbrook.
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda

Return to Miami Heat