Summer League, Blazers vs. Jazz

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 977

Summer League, Blazers vs. Jazz 

Post#1 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:08 pm

Bradley just made a three...... Wow...... It looked decent too......
red4hf

Re: Summer League, Blazers vs. Jazz 

Post#2 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:16 pm

Simons is killing it, 5 for 5 on threes......
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:50 pm

Simons is unbelievable. How did we miss on this guy? We had him in for a workout right?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#4 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:09 pm

Bradley is so terrible on defense...doesn't even know how to be big. In the odd circumstance where he's in position, he just drops his arms down for a foul.
red4hf

Post#5 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:11 pm

KqWIN wrote:Bradley is so terrible on defense...doesn't even know how to be big. In the odd circumstance where he's in position, he just drops his arms down for a foul.

So true..... He's lost on defense......
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#6 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:13 pm

red4hf wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Bradley is so terrible on defense...doesn't even know how to be big. In the odd circumstance where he's in position, he just drops his arms down for a foul.

So true..... He's lost on defense......

I feel like he'd almost be better not trying. Whenever he tries to do something, he gets himself out of position or fouls. Just stand there, be a big guy, and get the rebound!
red4hf

Post#7 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:43 pm

Whenever he steps a few feet outside of the paint, he's done..... Around the paint, he's OK, more or less......
red4hf

Post#8 » by red4hf » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:46 pm

Nice steal and 3 for the Jazz.......
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#9 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:12 am

KqWIN wrote:Simons is unbelievable. How did we miss on this guy? We had him in for a workout right?

I very much wanted the Jazz to draft him instead of Allen. Guess it's all moot now, as he would have been traded for Conley.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#10 » by sipclip » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 am

KqWIN wrote:Simons is unbelievable. How did we miss on this guy? We had him in for a workout right?
He was my top choice by far. He was also good friends with Donovan. How they screwed that one up I will never understand. He is also why I am so high on the blazers. He may still be too young to really break out this year but he should at least give them some quality scoring off the bench.

My other favorite player from that draft Jarred Vanderbilt is finally healthy and showing his versatility. He definitely had lottery talent but was never healthy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#11 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:56 am

Oni looked decent tonight.

Couldn’t help but laugh to myself as DL mentioned that the Jazz are forced to develop their players, yet outside of DM and Rudy they have been horrible with the draft. I honestly think that as a group we could do better.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#12 » by stitches » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Oni looked decent tonight.

Couldn’t help but laugh to myself as DL mentioned that the Jazz are forced to develop their players, yet outside of DM and Rudy they have been horrible with the draft. I honestly think that as a group we could do better.

Hood was a good pick too... Getting a starter/6th man with the 23d pick is success in my books. He was leading his draft class by WS when we traded him... you can't really ask for much more than that, then we traded him for Crowder and a second, which is again not a bad return. Neto has been another success story. They are not drafted but both Royce and Ingles are huge success stories of this FO and coaching staff too.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#13 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:19 am

Always funny when people downplay how great of picks Rudy/Donovan were. If you had four top 3 picks in a row, you'd be happy to get two players like them.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#14 » by Tom349 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:21 am

stitches wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Oni looked decent tonight.

Hood was a good pick too... Getting a starter/6th man with the 23d pick is success in my books. He was leading his draft class by WS when we traded him... you can't really ask for much more than that, then we traded him for Crowder and a second, which is again not a bad return. Neto has been another success story. They are not drafted but both Royce and Ingles are huge success stories of this FO and coaching staff too.

Favors and Hayward both took their games to higher levels under this current coaching set up which is the point DL was pushing.

As for Oni really liked what he has shown so far. Simmons started on fire against Cousins and then could only score on fast breaks once Oni changed on him. Then he managed a couple of tough baskets against him in the last quarter whilst also benefitting from a few screens which forced a switch. Oni has also flashed some playmaking, in particular I like his ability to kick out to the corners/wing when he drives. Definitely making the roster and whilst I don't think he will receive much playing time this coming season it will be to do with what is ahead of him rather than him not being ready for it.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,054

Post#15 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 am

KqWIN wrote:Always funny when people downplay how great of picks Rudy/Donovan were. If you had four top 3 picks in a row, you'd be happy to get two players like them.

Case in point: Philly has had 4 top 3 picks, and 1 top 6 pick, and they have 2 players to show for it.

Drafting is easy in hindsight. Burke and Bradley were bad picks. Maybe Allen? Other than that I think they've done well with drafting, hindsight notwithstanding.

Selling all those 2nd round picks though... that wasn't good.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,015

Post#16 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 am

I’m not downplaying drafting DM, in fact several of us were very high on him leading up to that draft. I’m sure he killed his workout, and am glad the Jazz moved up to get him. Gobert was a pleasant surprise for pretty much everyone other than pickibl.

They have had some head scratchers, though.
Sipclip was driving the bus on Simons, and most of us would have gone for the upside of Simons over the limited upside of Grayson. The Jazz should be erring on the side of upside every draft.
Nearly everyone wanted Booker when the Jazz selected Lyles.
I was driving the bus on draft day with the Bradley pick, mentioning several players the Jazz should have drafted with their other picks instead.
Hood was a decent pick, but it’s not like people were clamoring for other players not picked at 23 that draft.
The giving away of second round picks, followed by acquiring two late picks this year is odd. Paying $2M for the 58th pick when they could have bought a pick in the 40s for that a few days before is questionable.

I get that the draft isn’t an exact science and that you don’t always hit a home run. I don’t blame them for not picking Giannis, for example, as more than a dozen other teams missed on him too. However, there doesn’t appear to be an approach or plan to the way the Jazz draft and they have whiffed on a few picks that the majority of fans on this board would have not done. We certainly wouldn’t have given away so many 2nd round picks for cash considerations or trading away so many first round picks, and by and large we are looking for potential upside than they appear to be, although drafting players on a regular basis that have upside is exactly what they should be doing so as to hit on one every now and then as they generally aren’t signing players like that in free agency.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 am

Trading for cash considerations is a fair criticism, but not enough credit is being for the Gobert and Mitchell picks if you think the Jazz have a bad draft record. It is extremely rare to get star players from where they were drafted. You would be lucky to get a single rotation player out of 13+27. One single rotation player, not even a starter. The Jazz got two franchise cornerstones, that shouldn't be brushed off.

Selling second round draft picks, which have low odds of finding a player at all, is nothing in comparison to drafting two stars. Add in Grayson, Bradley, whoever else you think is failure...their draft record is spectacular because they got Rudy and Donovan.

Yeah, it sucks that we missed a few times. But missing on Bradley is nothing in comparison to finding Gobert. Having a first late round draft pick make it to their second contract is less likely than not. Landing a superstar top 15 player is almost unheard of. It's like winning lottery twice and complaining about losing a few hands of blackjack.

I'm going to laugh at the assumption that us fans have better knowledge..as if we know better from watching youtube highlight vids. The same scouting process that got us Grayson and Bradley got us Rudy and Donovan. Yeah, it's really weird that the Jazz traded up to draft an extremely raw, low floor player like Bradley. But they also got Rudy. Do we really want to go back an evaluate all the guys we liked as a group?

If it was so easy to draft from highlight videos, everybody would be drafting superstars all the time no problem.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#18 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 am

Draft is such a crapshoot. Everyone goes several drafts without filling out their roster with even rotation players. Seriously what team has drafted so well? A lot teams don't even have 5 players they actually drafted much less that are actually rotation quality of players. Considering most teams have at least 2 picks each year, albeit the 2nd rounder often doesn't make the team. Even still, you'd think this number would be much higher. Some teams hold onto their mistakes way too long, jazz seem to be pretty good at selling them off if there's an interested team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,424

Post#19 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:48 pm

What the difference? We would have traded him for Conley anyway...
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#20 » by stitches » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

What the difference? We would have traded him for Conley anyway...

I doubt it. We would have had him in house and we would have known how good he's looking(unlike Allen) and we wouldn't sacrifice him for Conley IMO.

Return to Utah Jazz