ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#441 » by hawks_fan25 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm just hoping we can get enough out of Turner, Crabbe and Parsons to get something for them at deadline. They will have to be efficient and healthy, but maybe we are able to move one or two of them to a contender for a pick or prospect.

Parker and Len will also be valuable to contenders if they are healthy at the deadline, but I actually like both of them if we believe we can resign Len in the offseason as our primary back up big.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#442 » by jayu70 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:I'm just hoping we can get enough out of Turner, Crabbe and Parsons to get something for them at deadline. They will have to be efficient and healthy, but maybe we are able to move one or two of them to a contender for a pick or prospect.

Parker and Len will also be valuable to contenders if they are healthy at the deadline, but I actually like both of them if we believe we can resign Len in the offseason as our primary back up big.

That's the hope, but so far Schlenk hasn't been able to parlay past expirings into anything of value. It'll be harder to trade these large expirings especially for other expirings. Add to that the idea of maintaining capspace for the 2020 offseason.

Illyasova, Belinelli, Lin etc - all bought out. The reason being we were offered 2nds for them but they came with too much future salary attached for TS' offseason capspace plan.

So color me skeptical on that front.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#443 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Hawks GM Travis Schlenk: After roster moves, ‘We are pretty comfortable’

C-Viv: What are your thoughts about the roster as it currently stands after all the moves that you made?

Travis: We are comfortable with where we are. We feel like we have good depth — three centers, three forwards, six guards when you count Charlie (Brown). Really, we like the versatility of it, too. Other than really Alex Len and Trae (Young), guys can play multiple positions. We are pretty comfortable.

C-Viv: Can you give me any insight on the trade of Omari Spellman?

Travis: It balanced our roster out a little bit. Getting (Damian Jones) back who can play center and we get a future pick for taking on very little salary.

C-Viv: When you do develop a plan to play the young core of players?

Travis: That will start when we get everyone back healthy and in September. The coaching staff will sit down and figure out what the rotation is going to look like. Lloyd (Pierce) understands that we need to get these guys minutes. Last year, Trae and John (Collins) played about 30 minutes. They are probably going to play 35 minutes this year as they continue to grow.

De’Andre (Hunter) is obviously going to play a lot of minutes.

Cam (Reddish) we are going to play a lot.
AJC

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#444 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Intriguing Hawks moves: Parker in, Spellman out

The Hawks made two moves Monday. They signed Jabari Parker, a former No. 2 overall draftee, and dumped Omari Spellman, on whom they spent a first-round pick only last year.

The Hawks made their big offseason noise in the draft, landing De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish. That was as good an outcome as a team that was unlucky in the lottery could have envisioned.

Parker wasn’t an outright bust. He has averaged in double figures every year as a pro. He’s 6-foot-8, but he’s [not] a good enough shooter to be a wing, and he’s not big enough to be a stretch-4. He’s a scorer, period. At a time where tweeners are a desired commodity, Parker is the tweener who has seen his value plummet. His Win Shares total for his second and third seasons was 7.6; in the two seasons since his second surgery, it’s 2.6.

Which brings us to Spellman. This wasn’t a case of a new general manager dumping a draftee he inherited. Schlenk chose Spellman with the final pick of Round 1 in the same draft that yielded Trae Young and Kevin Huerter. Those two are keepers. Spellman is gone after 46 games. It takes a lot to give up on a Round 1 pick after one truncated-by-injury season.

If you’ve decided a guy will never be what you want, there’s no reason keeping him in the effort to justify his acquisition. The Hawks had seen enough — too much, apparently — of Spellman. It will be fascinating to see how they feel about Parker six months hence.
AJC
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#445 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Intriguing Hawks moves: Parker in, Spellman out

The Hawks made two moves Monday. They signed Jabari Parker, a former No. 2 overall draftee, and dumped Omari Spellman, on whom they spent a first-round pick only last year.

The Hawks made their big offseason noise in the draft, landing De’Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish. That was as good an outcome as a team that was unlucky in the lottery could have envisioned.

Parker wasn’t an outright bust. He has averaged in double figures every year as a pro. He’s 6-foot-8, but he’s [not] a good enough shooter to be a wing, and he’s not big enough to be a stretch-4. He’s a scorer, period. At a time where tweeners are a desired commodity, Parker is the tweener who has seen his value plummet. His Win Shares total for his second and third seasons was 7.6; in the two seasons since his second surgery, it’s 2.6.

Which brings us to Spellman. This wasn’t a case of a new general manager dumping a draftee he inherited. Schlenk chose Spellman with the final pick of Round 1 in the same draft that yielded Trae Young and Kevin Huerter. Those two are keepers. Spellman is gone after 46 games. It takes a lot to give up on a Round 1 pick after one truncated-by-injury season.

If you’ve decided a guy will never be what you want, there’s no reason keeping him in the effort to justify his acquisition. The Hawks had seen enough — too much, apparently — of Spellman. It will be fascinating to see how they feel about Parker six months hence.
AJC

What was VCarter's win share last season? Parker was signed to a good deal. He is a vet and a trade asset.

TS didn't want Spell's lackadazical, lazy work ethic. He wants a culture
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#446 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:22 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:TS didn't want Spell's lackadazical, lazy work ethic. He wants a culture

I just hate that we drafted Omari and passed on guys like Bruce Brown, Jalen Brunson, Khyri Thomas, Mitchell Robinson at #30 last year.

Travis still gets a passing grade for the 2018 draft. But what we got out of picks 30 and 34 is a bit underwhelming.
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#447 » by hawks_fan25 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:35 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:TS didn't want Spell's lackadazical, lazy work ethic. He wants a culture

I just hate that we drafted Omari and passed on guys like Bruce Brown, Jalen Brunson, Khyri Thomas, Mitchell Robinson at #30 last year.

Travis still gets a passing grade for the 2018 draft. But what we got out of picks 30 and 34 is a bit underwhelming.

Mitchell Robinson was the guy I kept watching fall and really hoping we would pick up. I guess the character questions were too much for TS. Just seemed like he was too good to pass up that low in the draft, though.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#448 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Few NBA Teams Still Have Meaningful Cap Space

According to Jeff Siegel’s data at Early Bird Rights and Bobby Marks’ numbers at ESPN, the Knicks, Mavericks, Hawks, Pacers, and Clippers are the only clubs that project to have more than $2MM in leftover cap space.

The Hawks‘ situation is pretty simple. Once the signing of Jabari Parker is official, Atlanta will have a team salary in the $103 - $104MM range, giving the club between $5 - 6MM in cap room to work with. That figure come in at about $5.8MM if Parker’s deal has a standard 5% raise from year one to year two, per Siegel.

The Hawks could create up to $7.2MM in space if they waive Jaylen Adams‘ non-guaranteed contract. It’s not clear yet what their plans are for that remaining space though.
Hoops Rumors
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#449 » by hawks_fan25 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Few NBA Teams Still Have Meaningful Cap Space

According to Jeff Siegel’s data at Early Bird Rights and Bobby Marks’ numbers at ESPN, the Knicks, Mavericks, Hawks, Pacers, and Clippers are the only clubs that project to have more than $2MM in leftover cap space.

The Hawks‘ situation is pretty simple. Once the signing of Jabari Parker is official, Atlanta will have a team salary in the $103 - $104MM range, giving the club between $5 - 6MM in cap room to work with. That figure come in at about $5.8MM if Parker’s deal has a standard 5% raise from year one to year two, per Siegel.

The Hawks could create up to $7.2MM in space if they waive Jaylen Adams‘ non-guaranteed contract. It’s not clear yet what their plans are for that remaining space though.
Hoops Rumors

Assuming they don't have to give up too much, the Mavs become a sneaky good team if they use their space to take Adams off OKC's hands. That is a really solid lineup with him holding down the fort at Center. I wanted us to grab Dragan Bender, but now that doesn't make too much sense. I don't see much out there that we want, so we might sit on our space until a good deal comes up for us with a salary dump component. I'd still like to see us release Adams and pick up Sibert (or some other guard who doesn't get a guaranteed deal from another team after SL). Adams is just not an NBA-caliber player.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#450 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Ranking Every NBA Team's Offseason

15. Atlanta Hawks

Few teams were busier than the Hawks this summer, but Atlanta's relentless maneuverings didn't always produce clear transactional wins.

A trade that returned Evan Turner for Kent Bazemore, the Jabari Parker signing and a swap of Omari Spellman for Damian Jones + a 2026 second-rounder all fell into the category of "OK, sure...but why, exactly?" The same goes for the exchange of Solomon Hill and Miles Plumlee for Chandler Parsons.

Atlanta also shuffled up its draft, ultimately landing De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish, both of whom GM Travis Schlenk claimed were among the team's top five prospects. Bruno Fernando, a second-rounder, could be in line for rotation minutes behind Alex Len, who became the projected starter upon Dewayne Dedmon's jump to the Sacramento Kings.

The one deal that felt like an obvious victory returned Allen Crabbe and two first-rounders from the Nets for Taurean Prince and a future second.
Bleacher Report
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 974

Post#451 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

15. Atlanta Hawks

Few teams were busier than the Hawks this summer, but Atlanta's relentless maneuverings didn't always produce clear transactional wins.

A trade that returned Evan Turner for Kent Bazemore, the Jabari Parker signing and a swap of Omari Spellman for Damian Jones + a 2026 second-rounder all fell into the category of "OK, sure...but why, exactly?" The same goes for the exchange of Solomon Hill and Miles Plumlee for Chandler Parsons.

Atlanta also shuffled up its draft, ultimately landing De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish, both of whom GM Travis Schlenk claimed were among the team's top five prospects. Bruno Fernando, a second-rounder, could be in line for rotation minutes behind Alex Len, who became the projected starter upon Dewayne Dedmon's jump to the Sacramento Kings.

The one deal that felt like an obvious victory returned Allen Crabbe and two first-rounders from the Nets for Taurean Prince and a future second.
Bleacher Report

This is why I don't always like being in the national media. A lot of moves go overlooked because it doesn't scream, "That's a championship move". Turner/Baze swap was meant to add a backup PG and open space on the wing. Parker was a much needed offensive spark off the bench for cheap(probably the best value). We needed a true center since Dedmon was leaving, so we moved the uninspiring Spellman, and got that guy. We consolidated a useless player in Plumlee/Hill into 1 player and opened a roster spot for a more useful guy in Parker. The most underrated part of all of this is that it creates a much improved bench, that doesn't have any future money in it hardly. So next year, we can evaluate what we need to do after seeing what the young guys do this year because we have that kind of flexibility to do so.
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#452 » by hawks_fan25 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

15. Atlanta Hawks

Bleacher Report

This is why I don't always like being in the national media. A lot of moves go overlooked because it doesn't scream, "That's a championship move". Turner/Baze swap was meant to add a backup PG and open space on the wing. Parker was a much needed offensive spark off the bench for cheap(probably the best value). We needed a true center since Dedmon was leaving, so we moved the uninspiring Spellman, and got that guy. We consolidated a useless player in Plumlee/Hill into 1 player and opened a roster spot for a more useful guy in Parker. The most underrated part of all of this is that it creates a much improved bench, that doesn't have any future money in it hardly. So next year, we can evaluate what we need to do after seeing what the young guys do this year because we have that kind of flexibility to do so.

Not to be overlooked, all of those large expirings are playing for their next contract. Players usually play better when money is on the line. They will all be auditioning for a team in the off season. Whatever is left in the tank on these guys, we are going to get. Players like Crabbe,Turner and Len obviously still have a lot in the tank. Parsons and Parker might not, but they will throw it all on the line this year.

I hope we give most of the minutes to the core group, but these ancillary guys are all going to go 110% and provide a much better bench than last year.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#453 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:19 pm

NBA Power Rankings: Who are the league's best teams now?

22. Atlanta Hawks
2018-19 record: 29-53
2020 title odds: 200-1
Previous rank: No. 21

There's a lot of shine to the Hawks' rebuilding project, and even whispers that the upstart Hawks could sniff the postseason next spring in a conference where 80 percent of success is just showing up. Joining the existing young core led by Trae Young and John Collins will be a pair of rookie forwards drafted in the top 10, a couple of functional veterans on the perimeter and a reclamation project in Jabari Parker. The biggest challenge ahead for Atlanta will be crafting a defense that can compete with the grownups if and when those games in March and April carry playoff implications. -- Arnovitz

Key additions: Jabari Parker, Evan Turner, De'Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish

Key subtractions: Taurean Prince, Dewayne Dedmon, Kent Bazemore
ESPN
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#454 » by hawks_fan25 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:51 pm

How should we fill out the roster. It seems like we will go with one more offseason signing and a 2-way and just leave an open spot going into the season.

I've seen a lot of names thrown around. I liked Bender before we got Parker and Jones, but I've also seen Christian Wood's name pop up. Either would be a project big. Is Jerian Grant still available? He could make sense as a young PG that we could get under team control for a few years.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#455 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:26 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Mitchell Robinson was the guy I kept watching fall and really hoping we would pick up. I guess the character questions were too much for TS. Just seemed like he was too good to pass up that low in the draft, though.

I wanted Robinson too, but it's a spilled milk thing. If TS keeps picking em like Trae, JC, Heurter, then I will over-look my critiques. He's rebuilding it my way so given his great draft record I will focus on Trae, JC, Heurt, Hunt, Cam and Bruno. Robinson is a Knick
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#456 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Man I do wish that we'd sign an actual veteran PG to the roster. Trae is the only true PG.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#457 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:36 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Man I do wish that we'd sign an actual veteran PG to the roster. Trae is the only true PG.

Seth Curry, Isiah Thomas or Ish Smith sounded like solid, affordable options earlier in the off-season.

Lloyd mentioned Cam will get burn at backup PG as will Evan Turner.

But, I agree that a more experienced PG option would be ideal.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#458 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 pm

TS and TP want to create their team and players. JC trying to bring some SF in his game. Cam at PG. The time spent working on haddling, passing should help them develop more complete games

I really like the roster they put together. I expect 32 wins, but I still like the team and the development potential
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#459 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:54 pm

The Athletic’s NBA Power Rankings: After the free agency dust settles

22. Atlanta Hawks (Previously 23rd)

Travis Schlenk has had another good offseason for creating long-term viability and flexibility with shaping this roster. The Hawks had a phenomenal draft night. Moving up to acquire De’Andre Hunter out of Virginia with the fourth pick adds so much to their future defense. I’m high on Cam Reddish and think the value of grabbing him at 10 is a nice addition too. Then the Hawks went out and brought in some big expiring deals for veterans they can possibly move this season. Chandler Parsons ($25.1M), Evan Turner ($18.6M), and Allen Crabbe ($18.5M) can all be monster deals to acquire this season in order to get your cap situation in the right direction. You’ll just need to give up some assets to the Hawks in order to do so.

Or the Hawks just let their deals expire and go into the next summer with a ton of cap space. No major additions outside of that, except for Jabari Parker on a two-year deal and the acquisition of Damian Jones for Omari Spellman. The Hawks still have that young core to build around, and Trae Young will lead the charge with John Collins and Kevin Huerter. I think Lloyd Pierce’s team is still probably a year away from consistently being able to win, but they can be extremely dangerous this coming season; 22nd might be too low for them, but it just felt hard to give the benefit of the doubt to such a young rotation.
The Athletic
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#460 » by hawks_fan25 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:57 am

I have a hard time wrapping my head around all these salary exceptions and rules, but it looks like we are the only team with remaining cap. Does that mean we are the only team that can offer more than minimum contracts now. Do we have free reign to sign whoever is left out there that is looking for more than the minimum?

I still like Jerian Grant and Dragan Bender as projects on two/three year deals. Shane Larkin is interesting, too.

Return to Atlanta Hawks