ImageImageImage

Las Vegas Summer League 2019

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Re: Las Vegas Summer League 2019 

Post#21 » by Darren » Mon Jul 8, 2019 9:11 pm

Apz wrote:Also, think Roby has grown. They talked about it yesterday that he looked much taller then said. And when looking at the game it did look like he was fumbling at the ball a few times when getting rebounds, like if he didnt have 100% control, which is kinda common if your arms grows fast.

What I do like about Roby is that his body do look NBA ready. Decent defense, his passing and his team play. With that said Im pretty sure RC will have him on the roster

I wonder if there're some fans having actually watched the whole game but instead only looking at the highlight. Roby can run and jump for sure. Steals and blocks are indication of that. But this alone doesn't make Roby a good defender. Roby has trouble to make decisions on switch. More often than not, Roby is out of position for shot blocking and rebounding. And Roby is not as good as advertised defensively. Defending 1-5 in college doesn't mean defend well. The footspeed against quicker player is still an unfavorable mismatch. Not to mention that Roby cannot take on more bulky player. In game 1, Roby is a step low and things look as if Roby doesn't want the content in paint and allowed a lot of opened 3 at the corner.

For the passing, it is also an area I am not pleased with. The assist and turnover ratio is poor. Roby has a nice handle especially going one on one in paint. But Roby has trouble passing out of the post. It results in a lot of unnecessary turnover.

Surely, Kostas looks more promosing and ready than Roby. At least, Kostas gets to the right spot to challenge layups in paint most of the time.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#22 » by BlueSan » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:00 pm

I completely agree

Roby is a big defensive liability even for Summer league games, he has problems with his handles and in general catching the ball and next to that is nothing special in offensive game as well. In fact the only interesting guys on the Mavs roster currently are:

1. Cleveland
2. Reaves
3. Payne
4. Partially Whittington

but basically its the guards who are doing the majority of the offensive and defensive PLUS for the Mavericks in this summer league

So I ll say it like this.

I would sign Reaves. He is playing really well brings the board man gets paid game to the court and is displaying everything we would want from a guy fighting for a spot from a Summer league perspective. The game against Croatia should be interesting.
The second possible option I would actually get Whittington too. He is experienced (28) has played with Moviestar in Spanish league shot extremely well from the 3pt line (40+ %) and at 6.11 actually offers height and option to play PF or C if we need it because of injuries. He aint gonna put a league on fire or anything but he at least offer some life west if we need it

So Reaves and Whittington it is

Cleveland he is ok but I rather take Reaves plus he is 3 years younger and Payne....he can shoot it, but elsewhere its meh so yeah

Reaves and Whittington are the two guys I would actually keep and sign.

I am disappointed seeing Roby and Kostas also not enough improvement, in fact if he was not a brother of Greek Freak we wouldnt even be watching him in this summer league...
Darren
RealGM

Post#23 » by Darren » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:46 am

Cleveland was playing well in first tenure in Dallas. And this time, things look even better. I am impressed with the toughness, speed and decisiveness. That's impossible that this kind of players to play in SL. In my opinion, Cleveland, who does play defense, is better than Brunson. Payne could be a solid 3-string or even 2-string PG. But I am sure Barea will play better in this role until injuries. Reaves look like a keeper. Kostas as well. I'll let Macon and Roby go. Macon doesn't fit the timeline. Nor mature enough for big stage. Anyone who watch 4th quarter in game 3 could conclude that Macon is as good as gone. As for Roby, I think the Mavs won't sign a contract for the draftee. Instead, Let Roby goes overseas. The intangibles (effort, smartness, maturity) are pretty bad. So is the skillsets (lateral quickness, handling, passing, shooting). This is a definition of waste of pick.
Darren
RealGM

Post#24 » by Darren » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Reaves gets the 1st start against Croatia.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,929

Post#25 » by Apz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:21 am

Wasnt really focued on last nights game, but from hearing the commentators, they were happy with reaves? I was most focued in 4th quarter, I wouldnt mind having Whittingham along for the squads training camp. He seems to move great for a big man. Macon looked good first game, but 2 last games he has been forcing it and gone birdcage barnes on us. I could imgaine the steam coming out of carlisles head watching it
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#26 » by bobsquad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:22 am

Just remember that we barely see anything from these guys during the SL. DFS had 3 absolutely terrible summer leagues and still showed the team (ostensibly behind the scenes) tat he was worth guaranteed money and a roster spot.

I'm rooting for Roby and (especially) Reaves to take the two-way spots because the organization liked them enough in the scouting process to make them a priority. That says more to me than 6 games in a wacky chaotic semi-pro league.
Darren
RealGM

Post#27 » by Darren » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:57 am

Reaves hit a heavily contested 3 from half court to beat the buzzer.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 am

Darren wrote:Reaves hit a heavily contested 3 from half court to beat the buzzer.
Beautiful shot to end the first half.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#29 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:46 am

bobsquad wrote:Just remember that we barely see anything from these guys during the SL. DFS had 3 absolutely terrible summer leagues and still showed the team (ostensibly behind the scenes) tat he was worth guaranteed money and a roster spot.

And I'm still waiting to this day to find out how that happened :lol: :lol:
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,843

Post#30 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:47 am

bobsquad wrote:Just remember that we barely see anything from these guys during the SL. DFS had 3 absolutely terrible summer leagues and still showed the team (ostensibly behind the scenes) tat he was worth guaranteed money and a roster spot.

And I'm still waiting to this day to find out how that happened :lol: :lol:
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#31 » by BlueSan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:26 pm

That feeling when everyone else has some exciting players in the summer league team and you have zero
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#32 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Summer league always gets too much hype IMO. Remember when Jackie Carmichael played well for the Mavs during the summer league and there were rumors that the Mavs might sign him to the NBA roster?

Reaves and Roby have potential, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Prolly just gonna be solid role players for the team.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#33 » by arkuo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:22 pm

Kostas has been waived. Macon is the only one left with the other 2 way contract.

So we gave up #54 Shake Milton for nothing now that Ray Spalding and Kostas have been waived.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:55 pm

arkuo wrote:Kostas has been waived. Macon is the only one left with the other 2 way contract.

So we gave up #54 Shake Milton for nothing now that Ray Spalding and Kostas have been waived.

Mavs should have traded those 2nd round picks for future 2nd round picks and then turned those picks into sign and trade fillers for years to come!
Darren
RealGM

Post#35 » by Darren » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:49 am

The Mavs has signed Antonio Cleveland to TWC. What're the Mavs planning to do with Reaves and Roby?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:28 am

Darren wrote:The Mavs has signed Antonio Cleveland to TWC. What're the Mavs planning to do with Reaves and Roby?

Reaves will be on a TWP contract as well, while Roby has some options right now. I could see him getting a deal with the team, but I think it'd be better to stash him in the G-League or overseas. The team could also open up a roster spot by making a trade, that way they can promote Reaves (earned a roster spot more than Roby did tbh), and give a TWP contract to Roby.

Can Roby join the team for camp and/or the preseason if he hasn't signed?
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:28 am

Also, for TWP contracts, does the 45 day counter start during the regular season, or are preseason and camp days counted as well?

Return to Dallas Mavericks