James Ennis: Sixers are walking to the Finals

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Re: James Ennis: Sixers are walking to the Finals 

Post#121 » by baldur » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 am

What's so funny? They got eliminated by the champions by an unprecedented buzzer beater and those champs have no more kawhi.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#122 » by Higgs Boston » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 am

Paradise wrote:Sounds a lot like Boston last summer...

Yeah but with the difference that Celtics did something in the playoffs and they didn't have two all-stars, so Celtics players, media and fans had a reason to feel "confident". Sixers have done nothing in the playoffs and have lost their perimeter star (their best or 2nd best player in the playoffs), so it's completely different. This is just the typical Sixers hype and arrogance, the same **** as in 2018.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#123 » by sule » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:58 am

Everyone going on about how they will miss Butler (they will), but Philly will miss Redick a lot more. He was huge for them to have a a constant threat
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#124 » by Antinomy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am

-Blitz- wrote:the real question is how are embiid and horford gonna be on the court together? will they splt minutes at center?

Simmons & Embiid already didn’t work that well. I personally think the Simmons-Horford-Embiid lineups are gonna be a disaster. It’s just confusing how Simmons works best with mobile guys who run the floor, cut, slash & shoot 3s yet they basically did the opposite.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#125 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 am

Higgs Boston wrote:

Yeah but with the difference that Celtics did something in the playoffs and they didn't have two all-stars, so Celtics players, media and fans had a reason to feel "confident". Sixers have done nothing in the playoffs and have lost their perimeter star (their best or 2nd best player in the playoffs), so it's completely different. This is just the typical Sixers hype and arrogance, the same **** as in 2018.

Couldn't help but laugh at this, coming from a Celtics fan :lol: You've got some nerve pal. We were the opposite of hyped going into last season.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#126 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:38 am

They very well could, but Embiid does need to be a lot better than he was last season. I’m not saying he wasn’t really injured, but he’s ALWAYS injured. If he’s not 100% and their facing MIL and Giannis is bringing it, then they can lose that series.

They also lost their biggest shooting threat in Redick. Apparently they don’t have very much cap flexibility otherwise I’d suggest they go after Korver as something of a replacement.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#127 » by Higgs Boston » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:

Couldn't help but laugh at this, coming from a Celtics fan :lol: You've got some nerve pal. We were the opposite of hyped going into last season.

Last season no, 2018 playoffs where sixers lost against celtics 4-1 and they were considered clearly the favorites along with cavs during playoffs and the rest of teams were considered trash. And about last season, of course that the hype wasn't there until after deadline where they got butler and harris.
I'm a celtics fan yes, a celtics fan that did put Raptors as favorites during the season and I did think celtics almost had no chance just like a lot of celtics fans.
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,178

Post#128 » by M2J » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 am

Sixers are easily better. It would've been nice to keep Butler, but he had his flaws. He did turn it on in the playoffs for sure, but had his inconsistent moments there too. His defense has just slightly started to decline. Kind of a destraction. But his mindset is a clear as his move to Miami, he wants to be the man. He didn't want to space the floor and even try catch and shoot opportunities unless the clock was running down. That alone hurts his fit. Horford will help there immediately, even as he ages years down the line. Offensively when he was engaged, Jimmy moved well off the ball and got garbage baskets, but not enough. Jimmy certainly stunted the growth of Simmons and his amount of touches, as even more than Horford, he wants to occupy the mid-range space that Simmons and Embiid need. He needed the ball to be effective and while it could be a benefit, moved Simmons from the primary ball handler role.

Simmons, who actually was an all star last year as a sophomore did take a jump due to his post scoring, and those touches diminished with Butler some, as did his touches as a point guard. He could've been more productive.

Furthermore, Tobias should've been an all star in the West... And is certainly capable of a bigger role that he hasn't been able to showcase, and he's an even better equipped offensive player than Butler... That fits to their two stars timeline, and still young enough to have the upside of taking on the mindset of a go to scorer, and more ball handling, and numbers will show he's a very productive pick and roll scorer. Lots of good screeners on that team, that are offensive threats. Same with Richardson, he still had upside in his development, and I feel both Horford and Richardson make them so much better defensively. So much. No weaknesses on that side of the ball. While still giving them floor spacing. Richardson, **** 38% in catch and shoot opportunities last year, and teams don't leave Horford after he kills then from deep. Spacing won't be an issue. Furthermore Horford and Embiid become interchangeable, and they have guys that can come in and play smaller in Scott and Ennis... Horford doesn't have a big enough ego to cry over that, and is good enough to prevent it.

But they have 4 guys with upside, and are expected to make improvements. They are also all tradeable assets. If Boston is expected to improve due to young talent improving. Well essentially Embiid's first season for all intents and purposes matches up with Jalen Brown, and Simmons with Tatum. They're both better, and will improve more. Joel is also a better option than Butler to end games. To keep Jimmy happy they have him the title of closer, while Joel carried the game with Simmons until the fourth. They'll have to adjust to feed Embiid more later than early. Not hard.

Honestly, I think Philly with some subtle moves here or there, and development from recent draft picks could truly compete for the next 7 to 8 years in a high level. I also believe they would be right there with the Bucks if they just didn't sign Horford, with him, filling in that back up big role and being a defensively versatile floor spacer, us just icing on the cake, as he declines over the life of his deal, they'll still be scary enough to win it all. Say what you will about Simmons and his jumper... If Embiid stays healthy is the real question, and if he were, they should be champions now.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#129 » by AK47MVP » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:LMAO. They got worse after most overrated signing in the off season and losing their two best perimeter shooters.... So what that Kawhi left. Bucks are still going to be 60 win team. Oladipo will be back for Indiana. Celtics still dangerous. Can't write off Toronto. Heat may become a player if they get Westbrook. Nets are going to get better too. I see Sixers as 4-5 seed TBH and in no way going past second round. I will change my mind when Simmons will start making jumpers

I’m having deja vu from last off-season. Let’s make another sig bet shall we? :) Even though it seems you removed the last sig we decided on...

Yes I did, because the bet was for 2 month. And again, if not for Oladipo injury and Buttler and Haris trades - I firmly believe Sixers would not have finished in 3d place.
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#130 » by AK47MVP » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:20 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Sounds like we should be encouraging him to keep making predictions:

"Sixers won't be a top 4 seed" - wrong

"Sixers will take one game from Toronto at best" - wrong

Keep up the good work.

I never said top 4 seed. I said won't be top 3d seed. Certainly missed on playoffs vs Raptors, I will give you that.
You guys are massively overrating Horford, he is pretty much washed up, overpaid, poor rebounding PF who avoids paint and is shooting way to many 3's. He is a good passer though but that's not what you lost with Reddick and Buttler. Neto is a joke addition... he can't stay healthy for more than a week.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#131 » by Lalouie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 pm

i honestly for real never heard of james ennis
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,793

Post#132 » by NZB2323 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:46 pm

It's either the Bucks or the 76ers going to the Finals.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,379

Post#133 » by robbie84 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 pm

socal74 wrote:
robbie84 wrote:
JayMKE wrote:Bucks bad match up for Philly, they can't guard Giannis and now they don't have guys that can get buckets like Butler or hit off balance 3s like Reddick. Need Michael Scott to do his bets Reggie Miller impression.

Horford does a great job on Giannis. I think between Harris, Ben and Big Al they should have enough to throw at him.
Doesn't really matter if Giannis gets 40, they need to stop the Bucks bench from scoring on Giannis' dish outs and stop the 3's.

Horford had 1 good game against Giannis in the playoffs (game 1) Didnt giannis kill him the rest of the way? Are you citing games from 2 years ago ?You do realize giannis is not that player any longer and will keep continuing to kill the **** out of Horford right

Horford has always done a solid job on Giannis. He hasn't been the primary defender on Giannis but he's a solid 2nd presence when Giannis is around the rim or tries to post up.
The second part of my post highlighted the point that regardless of whether Giannis goes off or not, the more important thing is that the 76ers have to stop the Bucks shooters from scoring on Giannis' dishouts.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#134 » by LloydFree » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm

sule wrote:Everyone going on about how they will miss Butler (they will), but Philly will miss Redick a lot more. He was huge for them to have a a constant threat

Offensively, I agree. But I still think the team is stronger. This offense will basically be the 2017/18 team offense, with Horford replacing Saric and Tobias Harris replacing JJ Redick.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#135 » by LloydFree » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Higgs Boston wrote:

Did the Celtics have trophy ceremonies for those two ECF losses? LOL.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#136 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 pm

AK47MVP wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
Sounds like we should be encouraging him to keep making predictions:

"Sixers won't be a top 4 seed" - wrong

"Sixers will take one game from Toronto at best" - wrong

Keep up the good work.

I never said top 4 seed. I said won't be top 3d seed. Certainly missed on playoffs vs Raptors, I will give you that.
You guys are massively overrating Horford, he is pretty much washed up, overpaid, poor rebounding PF who avoids paint and is shooting way to many 3's. He is a good passer though but that's not what you lost with Reddick and Buttler. Neto is a joke addition... he can't stay healthy for more than a week.

"I never said Sixers won't be a top 4 seed" - wrong

AK47MVP wrote: I think SIxers will be 5th seed at best this season.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1765721&p=70048622#p70048595
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#137 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:37 pm

“Finals in the East” = East Finals
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#138 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 am

AK47MVP wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
AK47MVP wrote:LMAO. They got worse after most overrated signing in the off season and losing their two best perimeter shooters.... So what that Kawhi left. Bucks are still going to be 60 win team. Oladipo will be back for Indiana. Celtics still dangerous. Can't write off Toronto. Heat may become a player if they get Westbrook. Nets are going to get better too. I see Sixers as 4-5 seed TBH and in no way going past second round. I will change my mind when Simmons will start making jumpers

I’m having deja vu from last off-season. Let’s make another sig bet shall we? :) Even though it seems you removed the last sig we decided on...

Yes I did, because the bet was for 2 month. And again, if not for Oladipo injury and Buttler and Haris trades - I firmly believe Sixers would not have finished in 3d place.

We were in 3rd before any of those things happened. As long as we have healthy Simmons/Embiid we aren't falling out of the top 3.

You're right about the 2 months, I confused it with another sig bet. My apologies.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,777

Post#139 » by Ayt » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 am

Sixerscan wrote:“Finals in the East” = East Finals

Does it? If I said I thought the Bucks would walk to the Finals in the East, I'd be talking about the actual Finals. Who brags about walking to the ECF?
AK47MVP
Starter

Post#140 » by AK47MVP » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:51 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
"I never said Sixers won't be a top 4 seed" - wrong

AK47MVP wrote: I think SIxers will be 5th seed at best this season.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1765721&p=70048622#p70048595

Oops, I though you are talking about my bet.... well I was wrong. Looking back there was reasons why. Celtics underperformed and Oladipo injury caused Indiana top 3 seed. I may be wrong again, who knows. Just think you guys lost too much shooting and gained very little with Horford. He pretty much is dead.

Return to The General Board