ImageImageImage

Trade for Westbrook?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Re: Trade for Westbrook? 

Post#781 » by Neptune » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:37 pm

vic wrote:Very telling that Miami won’t give up Bam or Herro for him.

There is a strong limit to what a smart team will give up for Westbrook. He’s worth trading but not for the future.
No Sekou, no 1st rounders. You can have Kennard and Expirings

Man I'll be pissed if we learn that the Pistons just needed to offer Kennard+1st rounder to get Westbrook but we didn't!
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#782 » by DBC10 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Paxson: Bulls won't be suitors for Westbrook--"When you look at the financial aspect of a player that's 30 going out four years and the amount of money that's going to be made, those things can tie your hands up and put your organization in a tough position."

Seems like a completely reasonable take on trading for Westbrook. Refreshingly candid about these sorts of things from a GM.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#783 » by potatoaim » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:49 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Paxson: Bulls won't be suitors for Westbrook--"When you look at the financial aspect of a player that's 30 going out four years and the amount of money that's going to be made, those things can tie your hands up and put your organization in a tough position."

Seems like a completely reasonable take on trading for Westbrook. Refreshingly candid about these sorts of things from a GM.

Yes it is. Then add to the fact that one or multiple of Kennard/Sekou/1st rd pick would be going out, it would be pure lunacy.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 306

Post#784 » by King Bugs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Detstones89 wrote:I find it funny when people say the move wouldn’t or couldn’t get us a championship.

I don't find it funny because they're right. You're overrating Westbrook and the Western Conference opponents that he's lost to.

The teams that were eliminating OKC were not the big 4 Warriors or Kawhi Leonard Spurs. 2 seasons ago he flopped with a veteran filled squad and homecourt advantage against the Utah Jazz that had a roster full of players that have never been in the playoffs before and were being led by a rookie 2 guard. This past season he and MVP candidate Paul George lost to a Nurk-less Porland Trailblazer team that got locked up and embarrassingly swept by the Pelicans a year prior with Nurk. Very winnable matchups.

In both of those series 2 of the top 3 players on the floor were on his team. The only thing Russ has shown is that he can pretty much lose to anybody, even when he has a talent advantage, experience advantage, homecourt, opponents missing key players, it just hasn't mattered.

Since it doesn't seem that he's coming here anyway, Miami can look forward to inexplicably losing a 4/5 first round matchup to Indiana or Boston instead of us.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#785 » by hoophabit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:44 pm

King Bugs wrote:
Detstones89 wrote:I find it funny when people say the move wouldn’t or couldn’t get us a championship.

I don't find it funny because they're right. You're overrating the Westbrook and the Western Conference opponents that he's lost to.

The teams that were eliminating OKC were not the big 4 Warriors or Kawhi Leonard Spurs. 2 seasons ago he flopped with a veteran filled squad and homecourt advantage against the Utah Jazz that had a roster full of players that have never been in the playoffs before and were being led by a rookie 2 guard. This past season he and MVP candidate Paul George lost to a Nurk-less Porland Trailblazer team that got locked up and embarrassingly swept by the Pelicans a year prior with Nurk. Very winnable matchups.

In both of those series 2 of the top 3 players on the floor were on histeam. The only thing Russ has shown is that he can pretty much lose to anybody, even when he has a talent advantage, experience advantage, homecourt, opponents missing key players, it just hasn't mattered.

Since it doesn't seem that he's coming here anyway, Miami can look forward to inexplicably losing a 4/5 first round matchup to Indiana or Boston instead of us.

Yup, he displays an amazing will and athleticism, while losing time and time again. It's hard to say he 'hasn't had much of a supporting cast.' Durant, Harden, George all have played with him and decided to move on. Russ has had multiple knee surgeries and will be 31 in the coming season. We should be looking for players with a future not a past. If you've watched his games the stats are all about Westbrook. Loss of prospects and flexibility seems too extreme.
Pandev
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#786 » by Pandev » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Looks like Riley is not giving in to Presti dumb requests for Russ.

Seeing reports from people close to the Heat that OKC asking for Winslow, Bam and Herro in any Russ trade. Miami obviously saying no.

Presti must be on drugs. He should be trying to get away from paying the REPEATER tax for a lottery team and walk away :crazy:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231883203.html?__twitter_impression=true
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#787 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Pandev wrote:Looks like Riley is not giving in to Presti dumb requests for Russ.

Seeing reports from people close to the Heat that OKC asking for Winslow, Bam and Herro in any Russ trade. Miami obviously saying no.

Presti must be on drugs. He should be trying to get away from paying the REPEATER tax for a lottery team and walk away :crazy:

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231883203.html?__twitter_impression=true

Gotta start somewhere and seeing as Miami legally cant even trade a 1st they are kinda screwed.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#788 » by DBC10 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Pandev wrote:Looks like Riley is not giving in to Presti dumb requests for Russ.

Windhorst just reported that HOU is looking for a 3rd team to get Russ.

Morey in the past has offered pretty much all picks they have in the past for guys like Butler. They could easily get this done.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#789 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:45 pm

DBC10 wrote:

Windhorst just reported that HOU is looking for a 3rd team to get Russ.

Morey in the past has offered pretty much all picks they have in the past for guys like Butler. They could easily get this done.

Unless they are unloading CP3 then thats insane
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#790 » by bstein14 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:47 pm

Adams and Westbrook for andre, Jackson, Galloway and Maker would be my preferred trade for Westbrook.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#791 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:49 pm

Westbrook shot over 50% on drives last season, better than he had in any of the previous five years. He shot better on drives than Damian Lillard, Kemba Walker, Donovan Mitchell and Zach LaVine, to name a few. If he cuts down on those pull-ups and focuses on 1) driving and 2) becoming a passable 3-point shooter on catch-and-shoots, he can still be an incredibly effective player

One more piece that gets ignored in all of the talk about Westbrook's shooting woes and decision making and playoff failures... he's an incredibly willing passer. We sometimes collectively get so lost in what he can't do that we lose sight of what he can do. Does he stat-hunt? Yes. Is there some noise to his gaudy assist totals? You betcha.

But here's something to think about. Among the top 25 in drives per game last season, only two players passed on over 50% of them: Westbrook and Chris Paul.

That guy puts pressure on a D like few can and despite the reputation, is beyond capable of lifting up those around him. I'm not even a big Westbrook guy but it feels like the obituaries to his status as an All-Star caliber player are a bit premature.

If I'm Miami or Detroit, I'd do it. If I'm Orlando or even San Antonio, I might think about it.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#792 » by Spider156 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:53 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Westbrook shot over 50% on drives last season, better than he had in any of the previous five years. He shot better on drives than Damian Lillard, Kemba Walker, Donovan Mitchell and Zach LaVine, to name a few. If he cuts down on those pull-ups and focuses on 1) driving and 2) becoming a passable 3-point shooter on catch-and-shoots, he can still be an incredibly effective player

One more piece that gets ignored in all of the talk about Westbrook's shooting woes and decision making and playoff failures... he's an incredibly willing passer. We sometimes collectively get so lost in what he can't do that we lose sight of what he can do. Does he stat-hunt? Yes. Is there some noise to his gaudy assist totals? You betcha.

But here's something to think about. Among the top 25 in drives per game last season, only two players passed on over 50% of them: Westbrook and Chris Paul.

That guy puts pressure on a D like few can and despite the reputation, is beyond capable of lifting up those around him. I'm not even a big Westbrook guy but it feels like the obituaries to his status as an All-Star caliber player are a bit premature.

If I'm Miami or Detroit, I'd do it. If I'm Orlando or even San Antonio, I might think about it.

What said this?
Defense wins championships
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#793 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 pm

Spider156 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

What said this?

Some Q and A on NBA.com i was reading through
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#794 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:57 pm

Thunder leaking this Miami stuff to get pistons to include Sekou imo.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#795 » by Kilo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Houston would need to trade Paul in any trade for Westbrook. The third team taking on Paul might as well just take Westbrook themselves.

Also FWIW Westbrook just unfollowed the Miami Heat account (according to GB trade thread)
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#796 » by Neptune » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:24 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Thunder leaking this Miami stuff to get pistons to include Sekou imo.

Or a couple of 1st rounders
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#797 » by jakebernat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Neptune wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Thunder leaking this Miami stuff to get pistons to include Sekou imo.

Or a couple of 1st rounders

both would be huge mistakes.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#798 » by Han Solo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:36 pm

I don’t want Russ anymore, other than this one deal. I went from really wanting him, to having days to think about how big of a mistake it is. The ONLY deal I would want is Jackson, Langston, Snell and next year’s 1st. More than likely if we can keep Sekou and Kennard, we would be a really good team in the East. So not worried about that pick being very high. But Kennard is a great shooter and is crafty. He was our best player in the playoffs. Has some real experience now. And win trading Snell it would force use to throw Sekou into the fire. He has enough veterans around him so he won’t be expected to do much. Just defend, hit an open shot at a decent clip and finish around the rim. He will be a 5th option with Russell, Kennard, Blake, and Dre. And he can play SF. Watch film on him. He has handles and looks smooth.

Anything more than that won’t work for us.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#799 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:46 pm

I still want him, just no way im giving them sekou. A package around our scrubs led by Kennard and ill live. I definitely get the concerns though so dont really blame anyone for being scared
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#800 » by mattao313 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:51 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I still want him, just no way im giving them sekou.

Id give Sekou and a first(s?) with us being capped out I think keeping Kenard is important.
Championships

Return to Detroit Pistons