Re: Marcus Morris Agrees To One-Year, $15M Deal With Knicks

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Marcus Morris Agrees To One-Year, $15M Deal With Knicks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 am

Marcus Morris has agreed to a one-year, $15 million deal with the New York Knicks.

Morris previously agreed to a deal with the San Antonio Spurs, but backed out of it once the cap space with the Knicks reopened due to Reggie Bullock's health issues.

“I had to make this decision based on the best situation for me and my family," said Morris. "This is no knock on the Spurs. I have respect for them.”

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#2 » by watpho71 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:19 am

ouch! but can't really blame him, stuff happens.

he would have been a nice fit for the Spurs, unfortunate for them.
mbsnmisc
Starter
And1: 3,721

Re: Re: Marcus Morris Agrees To One-Year, $15M Deal With Knicks 

Post#3 » by mbsnmisc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:30 am

Snake in the grass.
MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Post#4 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 am

The Knicks haters narrative is falling apart! AD only wanted to be traded to the Lakers or Knicks, Kawhi and Kyrie both listed the Knicks as a team they wanted to be traded to. And Morris has now chosen the Knicks over Bos and the Spurs...if Fiz gets the right rotations and mins allotted correctly Knicks will be in the playoff hunt!
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,847

Post#5 » by kuclas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:52 am

He’s betting he can get more than 5 million in 2020-2021. A lot can happen.

I dunno. I know there are some “jock” taxes in some states. But overall being in Texas 20 million guarantee over 2 years with no state income taxes. Vs New York City and state 11% state income taxes on the 15 million.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 am

Now the Knicks have 75 PF’s on their roster. I still think they are thin at the position.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#7 » by BigTex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 am

I think the league has to do something about the one week gap between the opening of free agency and the time in which a player can sign. It just creates a huge potential for problems and gamesmanship. San Antonio relied to their detriment on Morris saying he would sign by getting rid if Bertrand, and asset of sone value. Dallas relied to their detriment on DeAndre Jordan by not pursuing other free agents Afro several days and waych8ng others sign elsewhere several years ago. In contract law, when someone breaches an agreement detrimental reliance known to the breaching party can trigger liability and should in this context, too.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#8 » by BigTex » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:04 am

kuclas wrote:He’s betting he can get more than 5 million in 2020-2021. A lot can happen.

I dunno. I know there are some “jock” taxes in some states. But overall being in Texas 20 million guarantee over 2 years with no state income taxes. Vs New York City and state 11% state income taxes on the 15 million.

Young African American man, making an excellent living. Where would you want to live? Manhattan? Or a backwater town in Texas? At best San Antonio is the fourth most interesting town to live in in Texas. Talk about sucking hind tit. That’s pretty damned bad. (And you can make a pretty good argument that both Ft. Worth and El Paso are better than San Antonio, which would have it coming in at the 6th, behind Dallas, Austin, Houston, Ft. Worth, and El Paso.). 11 percent is a bargain not to have to live in San Antonio. Take it from a Texan.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:06 am

mbsnmisc wrote:Snake in the grass.

he has respect for them lol the respect of a snake. He should end up playing in china or turkey very soon ungrateful fool.
RavenLeftFootAF
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by RavenLeftFootAF » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:25 am

BigTex wrote:
kuclas wrote:He’s betting he can get more than 5 million in 2020-2021. A lot can happen.

Young African American man, making an excellent living. Where would you want to live? Manhattan? Or a backwater town in Texas? At best San Antonio is the fourth most interesting town to live in in Texas. Talk about sucking hind tit. That’s pretty damned bad. (And you can make a pretty good argument that both Ft. Worth and El Paso are better than San Antonio, which would have it coming in at the 6th, behind Dallas, Austin, Houston, Ft. Worth, and El Paso.). 11 percent is a bargain not to have to live in San Antonio. Take it from a Texan.

He’s the one that was going to San Antonio to begin with. There are plenty of black men who live in San Antonio. Ridiculous statement
watpho71
Junior
And1: 111

Post#11 » by watpho71 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:41 am

MrNYYNYGNYK wrote:The Knicks haters narrative is falling apart! AD only wanted to be traded to the Lakers or Knicks, Kawhi and Kyrie both listed the Knicks as a team they wanted to be traded to. And Morris has now chosen the Knicks over Bos and the Spurs...if Fiz gets the right rotations and mins allotted correctly Knicks will be in the playoff hunt!

LOL never know.
What would you venture to guess is the Knicks opening night starting five?
My guess would be: 1. Payton 2. Ellington 3. Morris 4. Randle 5. Robinson

I would have guessed Bullock at the 2, but not sure of his health moving forward.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#12 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 am

He's betting he can get more, yes, but the trouble is he's gonna end up flaming out not raising the price of his stock. Check out at how good Rudy Gay has been playing under Pop. That coulda been Morris and he still coulda got paid. Instead he makes an extra 5, burns a bridge for him and his agent, and goes to the bottom of the barrel Knicks. Well, Marcus, at least you're close to home. You can check out your Sixers easily on off nights!
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Post#13 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 am

watpho71 wrote:
MrNYYNYGNYK wrote:The Knicks haters narrative is falling apart! AD only wanted to be traded to the Lakers or Knicks, Kawhi and Kyrie both listed the Knicks as a team they wanted to be traded to. And Morris has now chosen the Knicks over Bos and the Spurs...if Fiz gets the right rotations and mins allotted correctly Knicks will be in the playoff hunt!

LOL never know.

I would have guessed Bullock at the 2, but not sure of his health moving forward.

The starting 5 will probably be DSJ, Barrett, Knox, Randle and Mitch with Morris as the 6th man. We will have to see with DSJ/Payton but the Knicks will have tremendous flexibility with lineups Randle/Portis can play 4/5 and Morris 3/4....should be fun!
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#14 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:53 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:He's betting he can get more, yes, but the trouble is he's gonna end up flaming out not raising the price of his stock. Check out at how good Rudy Gay has been playing under Pop. That coulda been Morris and he still coulda got paid. Instead he makes an extra 5, burns a bridge for him and his agent, and goes to the bottom of the barrel Knicks. Well, Marcus, at least you're close to home. You can check out your Sixers easily on off nights!

To be fair this was not an option till Knicks had to renegotiate with Bullock and then it came up so Morris changing his mind is not as bad as thought plus he will get more court time with the Knicks I'd think
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#15 » by njknicks » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am

While it is a great pickup for the Knicks - there is something called integrity & honoring your word.

While I can't fault Marcus Morris for wanting to get the maximum value he could - doing so while burning bridges with one of the best run organizations in the Spurs was a classless move.

Marcus chose quantity ($) over quality ( $ and playing time / great organization in the Spurs ).

Rich Paul ( Morris agent ) has the luxury of making these classless moves - agreeing to contracting & walking out - simply because Lebron is still relevant in the NBA - once Lebron leaves, Rich Paul's clout dissappears : karma.

I just hope that Adam Silver imposes fines / salary implications for players & agents who rescind agreements after they come to terms with teams -- start enforcing NBA free agency rules -- a fine, in season suspension ( several games ) and agents prevented from signing upcoming rookies for agents / players that renig on previously agreed contracts ( assuming that their is an agreement in place ).
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#16 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:08 am

Morris, Randle, Portis, Gibson haha.. 5FA signings by Knicks and 4PF, 3 of them want to be starters :D
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#17 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:40 am

5million and the big apple vs san antonio and those big women charles barkley always talks about lol
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#18 » by Scalabrine » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:34 am

watpho71 wrote:

LOL never know.

It's an oddly crowded team filled with solid but not great veterans and young guys looking to prove themselves.

Robinson/Gibson/Portis
Randle/Portis
Morris/Knox/Dotson/Brazdeikas
Barrett/Ellington/Trier
Smith/Payton/Ntilikina

It's really difficult to figure out exactly how this team is gonna find minutes for everyone.
Go Knicks!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#19 » by closg00 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 pm

mbsnmisc wrote:Snake in the grass.

Teams cut, waive, and trade players, fair is fair.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#20 » by TheCage4 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

While I don’t like the notion of backing out of an agreement, at the end of the day we all have to look out for #1.

If Morris feels he’s going to put his family in a better situation with the Knicks deal, than that’s the right move, regardless of our perspective.

I do hope, however, that he at least realizes he and the majority of other FA’s who signed with the Knicks this summer will be peddled like poker chips before the deadline.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion