'Kawhi ended the Warriors dynasty'

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: 'Kawhi ended the Warriors dynasty' 

Post#121 » by killmongrel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 pm

whatisacenter wrote:the dynasty is over?

"KD is weak for joining a 73 win team"

"Core of 73 win team can't do anything without Durant"
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#122 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 pm

No...injuries did that. Warriors looked like they might win this without Durant....but with Durant and Klay both out...and still having a shot to go to game 7?

Come on....Warriors roll through Toronto if they are fully healthy....so BS on a guy that Barely squeaked by a VERY beatable Philly team.

The only team Kawhi killed is Toronto...by leaving.

I can't WAIT to see the Warriors roll Lakers and Clippers next year!
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,354

Post#123 » by mkot » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:03 am

This **** needs to stop.

Last time I check Curry and Klay hasn't retired and basketball is a team sport. In fact Kawhi actually struggle in the Finals.
Thank you for your great work over the years, Matrix.
You're always a Sun in my heart. Ring of Honor awaits you.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#124 » by clyde21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 am

HBK_Kliq_33 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i've figured these idiot media heads out

really, all what a player needs to do is load manage and half-ass the RS, that way when he actually starts trying in the postseason, it'll look like 'OMG LOOK AT HIM ELEVATE HIS GAME IN THE POs', when in reality he was just sleep walking thru the RS.

Sleepwalking is a stretch, espn reported that leonard lead the league in points per touch tied with Paul George. That's sleepwalking? Wow

lol that's a knee slapper
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#125 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:11 am

JellosJigglin wrote:The media has a way of taking a grain of truth and turning it into a mountain. Toronto won because they had a deeper, healthier team. The Warriors will be right back in the championship mix next season when Klay gets back. They'd be the champs right now if Klay never got hurt. They still have the core pieces that won them 73 games and now you add DLo. Crazy that people are writing them off.

Its not crazy given that people have wanted their time at the top to be over for quite some time. Its a direct result of them going to 5 straight finals and winning 3 titles. Its also due to the unknown factor of whether Steph can stay healthy through the grind of the season any more especially without KD to lean on. Without a healthy Steph in the playoffs their run is over.
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#126 » by Triples333 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:12 am

clyde21 wrote:why the **** is the media trying to hard to push to garbage narrative?

The path of destruction Kawhi has rendered since leaving the Spurs is a testament to his talent—and power. He ended the Warriors dynasty as we know it, folded the current iteration of the Thunder...

https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/10/20689396/kawhi-leonard-power-nba

no, no he didn't.

1. we don't know if the Warriors' dynasty is over

2. if it is, it's because of injuries/Durant leaving, not because of Kawhi

3. Kawhi is starting to become the most overrated player of this generation, and it seems like its happened overnight

Written by Haley Oshaugnecare bud. A nobody.

Granted, yes, Kawhi is hilariously overrated as proof of being the runaway #1 player in the game as voted by Real GM. If he misses his luck shot against Philly and they lose that night, he doesn't finish top 3 (never has before). Hot Take culture with massive recency bias.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#127 » by John Murdoch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:16 am

Op went from riding durants sack to trying to discredit Kawhi at every step . Gimmie a break
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,825

Post#128 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:46 am

Warriors are still a contender in my eyes. I have them taking the #2 spot in the West. People gonna stay sleeping on them just because they lost Durant.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#129 » by Samurai » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 am

Can the OP or a mod fix the typo in this thread title? I believe it was supposed to read "Kawhi Ended the RAPTORS Dynasty"!
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#130 » by Metallikid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:53 am

*The Raptors

The Bucks and Sixers both would have lost to the team we beat.
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,557

Post#131 » by BayArea408415 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:59 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Did the Warriors not lose every home game that series?

Game 3: Neither Durant or Klay played
Game 4: Warriors were outplayed with Klay back
Game 6: Klay was shooting like Game 6 Klay with Warriors up 4 when he left with a torn ACL with 14 minutes remaining.

Warriors had no chance in Game 3 and essentially no chance in Game 6 after Klay went down. Still, managed to lose by 1 point until the “time out tech” and Kawhi trying to score after the game was already over.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#132 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 am

clyde21 wrote:why the **** is the media trying to hard to push to garbage narrative?

The path of destruction Kawhi has rendered since leaving the Spurs is a testament to his talent—and power. He ended the Warriors dynasty as we know it, folded the current iteration of the Thunder...

no, no he didn't.

3. Kawhi is starting to become the most overrated player of this generation, and it seems like its happened overnight

Had the injury in 2017 not happened, Spurs could have won then.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#133 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 am

JordansBulls wrote:

no, no he didn't.

So Zaza ended the Spurs dynasty?
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#134 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 am

killmongrel wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

no, no he didn't.

No he ended the Spurs winning it all in 2017.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#135 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:20 am

JordansBulls wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

Zaza?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#136 » by michaelm » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:47 am

OdomFan wrote:The Raptors won fair and square. Injuries didn't mean much to Warrior fans when Kyrie/Love were out in 2015 vs yall or Spurs Leonard in 2017 game 1.

Fully agree. Injuries are part of this and many other sports, and both GSW in 2015 and the Raptors this year could do no more than beat everyone who turned up to play them.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#137 » by will » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:55 am

Courtside wrote:Image
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#138 » by will » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:56 am

THE Toronto Raptors are your 2019 NBA Champions. Of the world.
ThaRegul8r
Head Coach
And1: 3,019

Post#139 » by ThaRegul8r » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am

JordansBulls wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

I find this really bizarre. You're not the first poster on the internet to have expressed this sentiment, but that doesn't make it any less bizarre. Now, everything I'm about to write I've already written before, so I realize this isn't going to change anything, as people aren't really interested in facts, but nevertheless...

In the 2016 Western Conference Semifinals against OKC, the Spurs won Game 1, 124-92. A 32-point margin of victory. After that game, some sports talk radio hosts warned people about the 1985 NBA Finals between the Celtics and Lakers, in which Boston won Game 1 148-114, a 34-point margin of victory, in what was called "The Memorial Day Massacre," but lost the series in six games. History repeated itself, as the Spurs ultimately lost the series in six games.

In the 2017 Western Conference Semifinals against the Rockets, the Spurs lost Game 1, 126-99. A 27-point margin of defeat. I remember posting this tweet:

Read on Twitter

The Spurs ultimately won the series in six games, winning Game 6, 114-75. I also posted this tweet:

Read on Twitter

And then in the Western Conference Finals against the Warriors, the Spurs led 62-42 at the half, Zaza Pachulia puts his foot under Kawhi's and he comes down on it with no space to land, he goes out with 7:53 left in the third, Spurs lose 113-111.

Everyone's pretty much in agreement that the Spurs would have won the game if not for Zaza, but as time has passed, somehow "the Spurs would have won the game" morphed into "the Spurs would have won the series." Which makes no sense whatsoever.

We literally saw the Spurs win Game 1 in a blowout the previous year and lose the series, saw the Spurs lose Game 1 in a blowout and win... the previous series, but despite this, people have somehow extrapolated how the series "would have" turned out after one game. Illustrating that people are utterly incapable of learning from history even when it's recent history. (Since they also thought the Spurs were going to beat the Thunder in '16 and lose to the Rockets in '17 after the respective opening games.)

The Spurs likely would have won Game 1. That's all that can be taken away from that. They won the first game of a playoff series in a blowout and lost the series, and they lost the first game of a playoff series in a blowout and won the series.

No. One. Knows. Who. Would. Have. Won. If. Kawhi. Leonard. Wasn't. Injured.

But as I acknowledged at the beginning, this isn't the first time I've said this and it didn't do any good then, so I don't expect it to now. But it irritates me in general when people leap to conclusions from insufficient evidence.
I remember your posts from the RPOY project, you consistently brought it. Please continue to do so, sir. This board needs guys like you to counteract ... worthless posters

Retirement isn’t the end of the road, but just a turn in the road. – Unknown
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#140 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 am

Actually looked at the GSW roster. It actually looks promising. A very deep team. The young guys need to do some strength conditioning but most of them are very skilled. If they put in the work and the Warriors bring back the some of the old crew to teach them, they'll be able to do some serious damage in the playoffs.

Return to The General Board