Wisconsin Badgers 2019-20 Season Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,583

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-20 Season Thread 

Post#241 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:10 am

Diggr14 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:I am too old to care if a 17 year old spurns my alma mater but I'm just sick of UK and Duke poaching whomever the hell they want. I think they've been #1, #2, or #3 in recruiting for the last six years.

hype, money, woke.

mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#242 » by mattg » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:48 pm

Diggr14 wrote:The whole path to the pros thing is nonsense.

Ja Morant just did it at Murray State.

Many others the same thing. I just want to know what Jalen’s signing bonus was. They should report that too. Duke/Kentucky.. they pay, and get away with it over and over and over.

Duke is getting all the top guys recently because of Nike basketball and USA basketball pushing them towards there. Coach K being the national team coach and building that relationship with Lebron and Kobe over a decade ago is now in full effect and all the young guys who idolized those players growing up are enthralled by that pedigree. Duke also is a private school with the benefit of doing whatever it wants with academic admission standards and has definitely paid for a couple huge gets recently (they never used to pay for players since they used to only recruit kids who were from well off families or kids of former players).

UK hasn’t been getting the top top guys like they used to. They stopped paying dudes after Anthony Davis and they aren’t the same “IT” school for prospects that they were 5+ years ago. They still churn out one and domes since that’s what dudes go there for but still.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#243 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:37 pm

mattg wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:The whole path to the pros thing is nonsense.

Ja Morant just did it at Murray State.

Many others the same thing. I just want to know what Jalen’s signing bonus was. They should report that too. Duke/Kentucky.. they pay, and get away with it over and over and over.

UK hasn’t been getting the top top guys like they used to. They stopped paying dudes after Anthony Davis and they aren’t the same “IT” school for prospects that they were 5+ years ago. They still churn out one and domes since that’s what dudes go there for but still.

Since Davis they've had Noel who was #1, Randle was #2, and several guys that were top 5 (KAT, Labissiere). I mean I guess if you're only counting top 5 guys the last few years they've slipped a wee bit on the top end. Team recruiting rankings from 247sports:

2014 Duke #1, UK #2
2015 UK #1, Duke #2
2016 Duke #1, UK #2
2017 Duke #1, UK #2
2018 Duke #1, UK #2
2019 Memphis #1, UK #2 (Duke #4)
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#244 » by trwi7 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:30 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:That’s alright, I’m sure there’s some white kid from Minnesota that will fill that spot. Pat Baldwin will be the next top 5 recruit to not go to UW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol:

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#245 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:02 am

LMAO, right on cue.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Post#246 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:16 am

Can't wait to watch him make two pump fakes under the rim before getting stuffed.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#247 » by emunney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:59 am

trwi7 wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:That’s alright, I’m sure there’s some white kid from Minnesota that will fill that spot. Pat Baldwin will be the next top 5 recruit to not go to UW.

:lol:

Read on Twitter

Steven Crowl would have been such a great made up name for this hypothetical player.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#248 » by emunney » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:00 am

Badgers offer Tim Tiggetson
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,396

Post#249 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I didn't go to Wisconsin. I'm just mad about Jalen Johnson because now I have to hate a kid that went to my high school.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#250 » by buckboy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:39 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:I didn't got to Wisconsin. I'm just mad about Jalen Johnson because now I have to hate a kid that went to my high school.

Eh. He transferred there. Sun Prairie is the town that made him a person that would go to Dook.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#251 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:59 pm

buckboy wrote:
RogerMurdock wrote:I didn't got to Wisconsin. I'm just mad about Jalen Johnson because now I have to hate a kid that went to my high school.

Eh. He transferred there. Sun Prairie is the town that made him a person that would go to Dook.

Glendale is way more Dook than Sun Prairie.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#252 » by buckboy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:03 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Glendale is way more Dook than Sun Prairie.

It is? I guess I don't know what you mean. I think fancy when I think Dook. Glendale isn't fancy.

I haven't spent any time in Sun Prairie in the last 25 years, so I can't speak to it.

Also, I was attempting to make a joke.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Wisconsin Badgers 2019-20 Season Thread 

Post#253 » by LittleRooster » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:15 pm

I had heard, through someone knowledgeable about HS sports here, that he didn’t even live in Glendale and that he still lived in Sun Praire during the school year and that “everyone knows about it”. #grainofsalt

ETA: I went to Nicolet too

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#254 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm

My favorite comment from Johnson was that "Duke prioritized me and that's why I chose them." Wisconsin was the first team to discover and offer him and prioritized him the entire time and I'm sure the other teams did as well. I mean, it doesn't matter because Duke will work out fine for him but assuming he got paid or just wanted the Duke exposure that was just a funny answer.

Jokes aside, I hope they get Crowl or someone of that ilk because they should have a nice nucleus of players to build around for the next wave in 2 years. The Davises + Bowman + Wahl + their bread and butter stretch big man will be a good group and easier for Gard to do the Wisconsin thing with than Happ, Iverson, and Trice (they had to kinda settle for him as the heir to the PG throne in the coaching handoff).

I think the biggest disconnect in sports is the fan understanding of basketball recruiting. I think a handful of people get the idea that someone like Johnson isn't going to the home state school, but literally every school does not recruit well in-state and in some cases it does not even matter. Football if you've got a good team like Wisconsin can be more of a regional/state recruiting thing. Basketball is not. You'll still get more interest/more 2nd-tier players from your state or region but just by the nature of paying the 5-star guys + positional availability + small rosters, you're going to miss out on the majority of in-state guys.

The droves of people bitching about in-state recruiting on twitter is pretty insane and some of the guys people bitch about, Wisconsin did not want or need (McCabe). I'm glad they got the Davis bros and they'll get some other Wisconsin guys in the near future but some 4-star player with starting aspirations is not going to commit alongside another stud so that he can be the 5th guard in the rotation because he grew up in Wisconsin. Playing time is a huge deal in basketball recruiting. Wisconsin does the seniority thing more than other teams but it still affects other teams. This was not the case with Jalen Johnson but was the case with Haliburton, who assumed Herro was committing alongside and as a high-3-star recruit, went to Iowa State for a clearer path to playing time.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,889

Post#255 » by BUCKnation » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm

They prioritized him with the bag.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 2,985

Post#256 » by mattg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:53 pm

duke gets the USA basketball elites now guys, that’s what it is here. These dudes have Lebron recruiting them to duke, what do you think these kids who were literally 11-12 years old for the Heatles are gonna do.
emunney
RealGM

Post#257 » by emunney » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:22 am

Badgers offer Sir Sam Brazzleberry, Welsh sharpshooter, will redshirt.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,562

Post#258 » by chonestown » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 am

emunney wrote:Badgers offer Sir Sam Brazzleberry, Welsh sharpshooter, will redshirt.

Body needs to fill out, but fits in with Gard's system. Not an impressive offer list [midmajors mostly], but Gard was in on him before he blew up.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#259 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:58 pm

mattg wrote:duke gets the USA basketball elites now guys, that’s what it is here. These dudes have Lebron recruiting them to duke, what do you think these kids who were literally 11-12 years old for the Heatles are gonna do.

Yes, it's that and it's money in most cases.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#260 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:14 pm

emunney wrote:Badgers offer Sir Sam Brazzleberry, Welsh sharpshooter, will redshirt.

Local man that religiously followed the worst franchise in the NBA for 20 years and discusses summer league games in earnest makes several funny jokes about player profile of decent college basketball team.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks