ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1561 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 9, 2019 4:18 am

truwizfan4evr wrote:John wall said all the bad criticism and the injury really humbled him. He said he's going to prove so many folks wrong. I really hope he take care of himself and stop going to night clubs. He needs to rebuild his reputation around the league.

Are you sure that JW said the "bad criticism and the injury really humbled him?" I don't recall reading that or hearing him say that.

It is clear, however, that the doubters have motivated him.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#1562 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 6:17 am

I've heard things like that too. And a lot of that has to do with his kid too!
DCZards wrote:
truwizfan4evr wrote:John wall said all the bad criticism and the injury really humbled him. He said he's going to prove so many folks wrong. I really hope he take care of himself and stop going to night clubs. He needs to rebuild his reputation around the league.

Are you sure that JW said the "bad criticism and the injury really humbled him?" I don't recall reading that or hearing him say that.

It is clear, however, that the doubters have motivated him.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#1563 » by queridiculo » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:42 am

FYI, this is the interview. He didn't talk about being humbled, but he does give off that vibe just like doclinkin had mentioned.

Basically what he said is that the time off with his kid, his girl and going through the recovery gave him time to reflect on his approach to the game and not taking it for granted since that injury could have very well meant the end of his playing career.

My mindset is great, spent time with my family, my son, my girlfriend and all that. That's great it's giving me love and it's making me feel like I want to have a different approach to the game of basketball. Taking time off and understanding that this could have been it for me, so I have to take it to another level to understand and to respect the game a lot more.

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#1564 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1565 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:09 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1566 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jul 9, 2019 11:11 am

Illmatic12 wrote:Update: Johnathan Hildred is looking like a beast out here

:nod:
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1567 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:31 pm

queridiculo wrote:FYI, this is the interview. He didn't talk about being humbled, but he does give off that vibe just like doclinkin had mentioned.

Basically what he said is that the time off with his kid, his girl and going through the recovery gave him time to reflect on his approach to the game and not taking it for granted since that injury could have very well meant the end of his playing career.

That's what I heard as well. I also believe that this whole injury ordeal has indeed made John more introspective and humble.

But I don't recall hearing Wall say that it was the "bad criticism" that humbled him.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#1568 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 am

TGW wrote:Da phuck? Is dude taking PEDs?

Do you even lift bro? J/k. That’s normals for a dude putting the work in with generally good genetics, diet and a serious workout plan... but that damn leg don’t care...would be a miracle if he is half of his old self....but I think he will beat the odds
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#1569 » by CobraCommander » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:03 am

:wink: Wonder why wear so much red
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#1570 » by WallToWall » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 am

ClutchPoints: Top surgeon expects Nets’ Kevin Durant to return at 90-100% of his former self, says KD has better chances than Wizards’ John Wall.
https://clutchpoints.com/nets-news-top-surgeon-expects-kevin-durant-return-90-100-percent-former-self-says-kd-has-better-chances-than-wizards-john-wall/

“A point guard plays a different kind of game than Kevin Durant does,” noted Dr. Weinfeld. “An explosive type athlete, his demand is different than that of Kevin Durant’s. You talk about odds of coming back to where he was, I think Durant’s odds are better than an athlete like John Wall whose whole game is quickness and explosiveness. He [Wall] counts much more on those muscles being exactly where they need to be as opposed to a player like Durant and his style.”

-------

Well, we knew he would come back at maybe 80% of his former self. But, I wonder what that would equate to on the court as Wall does rely on speed and cuts a lot. Would it mean that an average opposing guard could be able to keep Wall in front of him, and in check? If yes, then Wall's value could be greatly diminished. I really hope it is not the case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1571 » by dangermouse » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:05 am

Keeping in shape is good, but I probably wouldnt be putting on too much muscle mass

If anything he should be just trying to get his weight down. Less stress on the broken wheel right?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1572 » by dangermouse » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:06 am

I mean, unless his new modus operandi with all our new shooters will be to post up the opposing poing guard lol
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1573 » by prime1time » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:17 am

It's not too late for John to salvage his career. Even without the injury it would have happened, but the occurrence of the injury has sped up the process. He needs to evolve. Improve his jumper. Become a 3-point shooter and play like old Jason Kidd. Hopefully Wall eliminates all the bad plays. Eliminates the forced mid-range jumpers. And is willing take a step back so Beal can take a step forward. Wall has the skills and the talent to be an effective player late into his career. But he has to do away with the prima donna, iso-ball/hero ball desire and play for the team.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1574 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:48 am

dangermouse wrote:Keeping in shape is good, but I probably wouldnt be putting on too much muscle mass

If anything he should be just trying to get his weight down. Less stress on the broken wheel right?

Imo hes at a good weight . Looks like he could play a triple OT right now !

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1575 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm

WallToWall wrote:ClutchPoints: Top surgeon expects Nets’ Kevin Durant to return at 90-100% of his former self, says KD has better chances than Wizards’ John Wall.
https://clutchpoints.com/nets-news-top-surgeon-expects-kevin-durant-return-90-100-percent-former-self-says-kd-has-better-chances-than-wizards-john-wall/

“A point guard plays a different kind of game than Kevin Durant does,” noted Dr. Weinfeld. “An explosive type athlete, his demand is different than that of Kevin Durant’s. You talk about odds of coming back to where he was, I think Durant’s odds are better than an athlete like John Wall whose whole game is quickness and explosiveness. He [Wall] counts much more on those muscles being exactly where they need to be as opposed to a player like Durant and his style.”

-------

Well, we knew he would come back at maybe 80% of his former self. But, I wonder what that would equate to on the court as Wall does rely on speed and cuts a lot. Would it mean that an average opposing guard could be able to keep Wall in front of him, and in check? If yes, then Wall's value could be greatly diminished. I really hope it is not the case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

I'd say they are both about equal in regards to how difficult it will be to get back. People really underestimate how twitchy KD is. His hesi pull up jumpshot, stopping on a dime and reaching that crazy length of his along with how low he gets on his crossover for his height and exploding out of it--that's a huge part of what makes him special. Moving that much body with the quickness he does, he got both of his calf/achilles injuries after explosive hesi jumpers or crossovers.

Both these guys rely on explosiveness a lot. The difference being the worst case scenario physically is John needing to model his game after someone like Satoransky and hitting threes at a high level if he can't get back to himself, and KD just being kind of a 3 and D player. Both will be very large adjustments with KD being more likely to still be able to help a team in the worst case physical scenario.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#1576 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
dangermouse wrote:Keeping in shape is good, but I probably wouldnt be putting on too much muscle mass

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Seriously, I have a hard time seeing him miss the entire season out of necessity. We are talking about another 7 months until the end of February.
Ideally, he comes back for the last 10-15 games just get some momentum going into the offseason.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1577 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:13 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Seriously, I have a hard time seeing him miss the entire season out of necessity. We are talking about another 7 months until the end of February.
Ideally, he comes back for the last 10-15 games just get some momentum going into the offseason.

Keep in mind the Wizards haven’t been awarded the disabled player exception yet.

They have to put on a front and say he’s not gonna play so they can get the insurance money. But in reality I’m betting John will be fully able to play sometime after All-Star break. Knowing how much of a basketball junkie he is, I think we should let him just get out there and touch the court for a games so he can get the competitive juices flowing and take that motivation into the offseason (like what Paul George did after his broken leg)
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#1578 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:49 am

Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1579 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:37 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#1580 » by WallToWall » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:58 pm

any word yet on the disabled player exception that the Wizards are seeking? Or at least, do we have a time table as to when the NBA will make a decision?

Return to Washington Wizards