Houston is flying

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Re: Houston is flying 

Post#81 » by Soulcatcher33 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 am

Krazykiwi wrote:Under the radar now. Cp3 was always hurt the last two years and the Rockets still remained as one of the top 2-3 teams without him, now they added Westbrook, he’s still an Uber talent just playing the game the wrong way. If Mike D Antonio can get Westbrook buyin to the system , defer to Harden a bit,and play game the right way, this Rockets team can very well win the whole thing next year .

Westbrook
Harden
Gordon
Tucker
Capela

Monster lineup, it gives Houston a different dimension on the offense end now that Westbrook can drive to the rim at will instead of a slow ass CP3.

Houston should be one of the best 3 teams in the west along with the two LA teams.

Yes, because all players change the way they have played their entire career when they are 32. Westbrook's insane athleticism and work ethic have allowed him be to be a star, but he is and will always be a dunce when it comes to having an actual BBIQ. That isn't going to change because he was traded to the Rockets. Age and injuries are now starting to shine a spotlight on this glaring flaw. There are few stars in NBA history that will age worse than he has. I just hope he keeps up the chucking as it happens because that will give us many hilarious moments if so.
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#82 » by RoyalWun » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:08 am

I'm.....not too sure about this...
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,938

Post#83 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:12 am

Westbrook will play the first half.

Harden will play the second half.

Problem solved?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#84 » by bstein14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 am

#1, Houston was going to have an incredibly hard time finding anything of value for Paul.
#2, Westbrook won't fit unless he starts to shoot well or they get another shooter in that lineup. Cappella might need to be traded for a big that can shoot from deep.
#3, One of Westbrook or Harden should always be on the floor. One needs to sub out early so the other can get shots up with the second unit. They need to play them apart as much as possible so they are only together 6 minutes to start the game, 6 minutes to start the 2nd half and 6 minutes to end the game.
#4, Don't be surprised to see Westbrook traded next summer after it doesn't work out this year.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#85 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 am

gmoney411 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
og15 wrote:Paul hasn't been able to stay healthy though, health is still the most important thing as you can't impact and win games in a suit. Houston should be able to get in the 55 +/- 2 wins range as long as they don't have any major health issues and the pairing doesn't become a disaster, which I don't think it should even if it isn't great.

I don't think Westbrook will be taking 20 FGA/G with Houston. If he does, then I might change my tune, but I don't think he will.

With a team with a one or two year window that was already a fringe contender, you’re worried about the ceiling, not the floor. Yeah, maybe you can argue that Westbrook’s less likely to get injured and keep them from missing the playoffs, but his terrible fit with Harden also kills any chance they beat the Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, or Warriors. Their title hopes just went up in a puff of smoke. And in 3 years when Paul’s contract is done, they get to pay Westbrook $47 million. What a bonus.

Westbrook does 2/3 of what the Rockets want to do well. He attacks the basket and he kicks out to open 3 point shooters. Russ with the ball in his hands with Gordon, Tucker, and Harden at the 3 point line is a good thing. As far as Harden goes, yes Russ won't be great for floor spacing but it will still be PJ and Gordon's man that has to help if Harden attacks the court on their side. Paul was rarely the guy Harden was passing to for an open look.

I think there's no way a team can allocate 10% usage to 13 guys while two players hold the ball 90% of the time without an actual riot in the locker room but we'll see.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#86 » by gmoney411 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:
With a team with a one or two year window that was already a fringe contender, you’re worried about the ceiling, not the floor. Yeah, maybe you can argue that Westbrook’s less likely to get injured and keep them from missing the playoffs, but his terrible fit with Harden also kills any chance they beat the Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, or Warriors. Their title hopes just went up in a puff of smoke. And in 3 years when Paul’s contract is done, they get to pay Westbrook $47 million. What a bonus.

Westbrook does 2/3 of what the Rockets want to do well. He attacks the basket and he kicks out to open 3 point shooters. Russ with the ball in his hands with Gordon, Tucker, and Harden at the 3 point line is a good thing. As far as Harden goes, yes Russ won't be great for floor spacing but it will still be PJ and Gordon's man that has to help if Harden attacks the court on their side. Paul was rarely the guy Harden was passing to for an open look.

I think there's no way a team can allocate 10% usage to 13 guys while two players hold the ball 90% of the time without an actual riot in the locker room but we'll see.

Rivers is the only other player on the team that you want trying to create and he will get his fair share of ball handling. If Gordon stays he will get his usual looks. Green is going to take his shots. And nobody else on the team is reliable scorer that needs to have the ball.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#87 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 am

Krazykiwi wrote:I think people need to calm down with the paper talk of bad fits. Westbrook is a much better player than CP3 at this point of their careers . Westbrook if used correctly, is the best PG in the league .

Living up to your name, well the first part of it, anyway.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,526

Post#88 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:

Westbrook wants his triple double neway which is actually needed on Houston as designed so all this stuff about Westbrook being a hog and Harden being a hog is overblown to me. They avg 17+ ast combined while both playing with high profile stars beside them in the backcourt. Everyone else on their team is a spot up shooter or lob catcher neway, + they like eachother (Westbrook n Harden)

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Krazykiwi
Senior
And1: 551

Post#89 » by Krazykiwi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 am

xdrta+ wrote:
Krazykiwi wrote:I think people need to calm down with the paper talk of bad fits. Westbrook is a much better player than CP3 at this point of their careers . Westbrook if used correctly, is the best PG in the league .

OMG you Curry fanboys , stop it ! Instead of reading the thread as it is , you have to make it curry related in anyway possible . Westbrook is used correctly IS the best PG in the NBA. He just needs to play the game the right way.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#90 » by dacrusha » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:06 am

Westbrook is 10x the athlete and finisher that CP3 is and that’s what will make him a better weapon to pair with Harden.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 430

Post#91 » by swyftdahoe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am

I’ve been playing some SNES NBA Jam lately and I’m glad the NBA’s adopting the 2-on-2 model. FWIW, I think these guys will be a great fit.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,548

Post#92 » by ken6199 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:13 am

dacrusha wrote:Westbrook is 10x the athlete and finisher that CP3 is and that’s what will make him a better weapon to pair with Harden.

But he is nowhere near Paul in terms of leading the defense, reading defensive plays, communicating, sending guys to the right spots etc. These are the intangibles you don't get to see on the boxscore.

Assuming Westbrook stays healthy for the remaining of his contract (a quite big considering his own injury history and explosive style), Houston got slightly better. Matter of fact I do wish he does not use his "10x" the athlete at this stage of his career. He needs to curb his explosiveness and use them in more proper places.

Also Westbrook a better finisher? That's news to me. Finishing doesn't just mean converting baskets at the rim. Paul is 20x better at the 3, 200x better at the mid range, and quite elite driving to the basket up until last year.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#93 » by dacrusha » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:26 am

ken6199 wrote:
dacrusha wrote:Westbrook is 10x the athlete and finisher that CP3 is and that’s what will make him a better weapon to pair with Harden.

But he is nowhere near Paul in terms of leading the defense, reading defensive plays, communicating, sending guys to the right spots etc. These are the intangibles you don't get to see on the boxscore.

Assuming Westbrook stays healthy for the remaining of his contract (a quite big considering his own injury history and explosive style), Houston got slightly better. Matter of fact I do wish he does not use his "10x" the athlete at this stage of his career. He needs to curb his explosiveness and use them in more proper places.

Also Westbrook a better finisher? That's news to me. Finishing doesn't just mean converting baskets at the rim. Paul is 20x better at the 3, 200x better at the mid range, and quite elite driving to the basket up until last year.

Who cares about midrange when you’re playing with Harden. Once the defence is keying in him, that’s the time for Westbrook to exploit the wide open lanes to the basket. If the lanes are blocked, Harden kicks for 3.

IMO CP3 was just getting in Harden’s way and operating in Hardens space: Westbrook OTOH will stretch the floor and create the type of spacing that CP3 could no longer provide.

Defensively agreed. He doesn’t bring much to the table: but Dantoni’s mantra is always about outscoring the opposition, so what does it matter?

Loving also that CP3 is now headed for NBA Siberia. He’s toxic as Dwight Howard.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Heat4lyf
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#94 » by Heat4lyf » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:04 am

Krazykiwi wrote:
Heat4lyf wrote:
ocelot17 wrote:
But Westbrook would’ve fit well with butler, right?

Westbrook and harden have had two highest usage rates in NBA history little different no?

And if the heat got that deal done I wouldn't be expecting a title or finals appearance tbh

All those high usage argument is just dumb. WAde and Lebron had similar highest usage too before they joined together . They will figure it out. If it was so obvious like some of you guys claimed here, would Houston give up essentially 4 unprotected first round picks for the swap ?
You always go for the better talents , fits and chemistry are just paper talks, let’s be honest , nobody knows **** for sure that this and that is bad fit until they play together.

Westbrook brings a completely new dimension to the Houston offense end. He’s not that slow ass CP3.

Wade and LeBron lmao

Two wings devestating defensively
High b-ball IQ and efficient and LeBron at his peak

Westbrook and harden make them look like low turnover players and have no offball game whatsoever

We really comparing and asking why Wade and LeBron worked as opposed to why Westbrook and harden won't
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#95 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:10 am

Krazykiwi wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

OMG you Curry fanboys , stop it ! Instead of reading the thread as it is , you have to make it curry related in anyway possible . Westbrook is used correctly IS the best PG in the NBA. He just needs to play the game the right way.

Curry? You're the only one who mentioned Curry. Why don't you tell us what "the right way" is.
Krazykiwi
Senior
And1: 551

Post#96 » by Krazykiwi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:12 am

Heat4lyf wrote:
Krazykiwi wrote:
Heat4lyf wrote:Westbrook and harden have had two highest usage rates in NBA history little different no?

And if the heat got that deal done I wouldn't be expecting a title or finals appearance tbh

All those high usage argument is just dumb. WAde and Lebron had similar highest usage too before they joined together . They will figure it out. If it was so obvious like some of you guys claimed here, would Houston give up essentially 4 unprotected first round picks for the swap ?
You always go for the better talents , fits and chemistry are just paper talks, let’s be honest , nobody knows **** for sure that this and that is bad fit until they play together.

Westbrook brings a completely new dimension to the Houston offense end. He’s not that slow ass CP3.

Wade and LeBron lmao

Two wings devestating defensively
High b-ball IQ and efficient and LeBron at his peak

Westbrook and harden make them look like low turnover players and have no offball game whatsoever

We really comparing and asking why Wade and LeBron worked as opposed to why Westbrook and harden won't

I’m not saying Westbrook and Harden are as good as the Lebron WAde combo. Again all those fits are just paper talks . My point is , Wade and Lebron were considered redundant, both were ultra high usage prior to teaming up . Both needed Ball in their hand and both couldn’t shoot that well. A lot of those can be related to Hardan/ Westbrook pairing . Bottom line is , Houston Has a moderate to higher chance of winning it all now with Westbrook than CP3. Westbrook has much higher ceiling potential to work on this team.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,270

Post#97 » by tribulations » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:32 am

inquisitive wrote:people jumping to conclusions just like they did when cp3 joined rockets about the fit with harden.
Exactly this.

The anti-Westbrook rhetoric around here is borderline insufferable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#98 » by xdrta+ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:39 am

tribulations wrote:
inquisitive wrote:people jumping to conclusions just like they did when cp3 joined rockets about the fit with harden.
Exactly this.

The anti-Westbrook rhetoric around here is borderline insufferable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app

Well, in the anti-Westbrook camp defense, you do have people calling Westbrook the best point guard in the league (if only he played differently.) Personally, I think he could work with Harden, especially since it seems that Harden pushed for the trade. Of course, it doesn't help that between them they have the top 5 turnover seasons ever. That won't help Houston.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,242

Post#99 » by pr0wler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:36 am

DusterBuster wrote:
AJ_Joseph wrote:Westbrook and Harden are a bad fit.

Yeah, I'm sure some Rocket fans will try and convince me otherwise, but I'm gonna need to see it to believe that they can work together. Russ isn't going to have a team full of guys willing to tap rebounds to him all game long in Houston and he's not a good enough shooter to help spread the floor for Harden. This just feels like another classic "talent over fit" move by Morey that - so far - he's 0 for 2 on... guess we'll see if third times a charm.

Winners bias. What is your definition of success exactly? Beating the most talented team of all-time in the playoffs, that no one ever did (Warriors w/ KD)?

The Rockets went from 55 wins to 65 wins after the acquired CP3 in 2018, and were easily the 2nd best team in the West last season. And in 2018 playoffs if CP3 doesn't get injured, they probably go on to beat the Warriors and then suddenly the trade is amazing? Very results oriented. Either way, the Rockets only team that has ever given the full strength dynasty Warriors a legit run for their money. It didn't work out in a championship so I'm not saying that it was the greatest trade of the century necessarily, but saying that it's a strike out is a bit harsh.

I'm assuming the other attempt was referenced was Dwight Howard. They went from 45 wins to 54 wins after his acquisition. However, the real issue is that Dwight Howard kinda started sucking. So if anything it was decline in ability was a problem actually, not this supposed lack of fit.

Talent trumps all. The "fit" in Miami w/ the 3 superstars was not great either, but they were the most talented team in the league and won 2 championships as a result. People conveniently ignore players meshing with each other when the team is more talented than everyone else, but if you don't win a championship, then suddenly everyone tries to find things wrong and blame the "fit" or "system" when more often than not it's simply a lack of talent.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#100 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:48 am

At first blush the new Rockets remind me a little of the AI/Melo Nuggets. Would be fitting if they made the WCF and lost to the Lakers.

Return to The General Board