ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings General Discussion 2019-2020

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OGSactownballer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,023
And1: 396
Joined: Oct 02, 2005

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#41 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:53 pm

I feel the opposite.

I believe the playoff threshold actually DROPS to @ 44-45 wins due to the increase I. Across the board talent.

Look for some of the teams that were at that 50 win level to come back to the pack a bit too.
bleeds_purple
Veteran
Posts: 2,825
And1: 1,460
Joined: May 22, 2014

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#42 » by bleeds_purple » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:06 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:I feel the opposite.

I believe the playoff threshold actually DROPS to @ 44-45 wins due to the increase I. Across the board talent.

Look for some of the teams that were at that 50 win level to come back to the pack a bit too.



Yeah I think the number of wins for each team will be a little lower than one might think by virtue of the fact that there are very few complete dumpster fires out west. Almost everyone has at least a half respectable roster.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,698
And1: 3,568
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#43 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:22 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:I feel the opposite.

I believe the playoff threshold actually DROPS to @ 44-45 wins due to the increase I. Across the board talent.
Look for some of the teams that were at that 50 win level to come back to the pack a bit too.

Yeah I think the number of wins for each team will be a little lower than one might think by virtue of the fact that there are very few complete dumpster fires out west. Almost everyone has at least a half respectable roster.

Hadn't considered that... you could be right. I guess everyone expect the Suns, Rockets and Warriors materially improved. And the west does play the west. I feel like the Warriors will win less games (high 40s?) OKC will probably drop out. But I feel like that still leaves a bunch of teams in the high 40s.

This is really going to be interesting...
RipPizzaGuy
General Manager
Posts: 8,461
And1: 4,847
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#44 » by RipPizzaGuy » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:33 pm

Kings2016 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:This is a win for us...

Lakers
Houston
Denver
Okc
Utah
GS
Portland

Were all locks

It was us fighting with LAC and spurs for playoffs. Now okc moves way down, clippers move up.

So its us vs San antonio for 8th seed barring injuries. I like our chances!


I don’t know about that for sure.

Lakers
Clippers
Nuggets
Warriors
Jazz
Trailblazers
Rockets
Are locks in my opinion
Spurs didn’t really do anything in free agency but finished 9 games ahead of the Kings last season. That’s a lot of games that the Kings need to improve.

OKC got way worse
Mavericks - May have improved more than us.
Pelicans to young.
Suns suck
Grizzlies aren’t good.

That being said I don’t believe the Kings really improved enough to improve 9 games in the standings. I think 47-48 wins will be needed again.I just don’t see it with the off season moves. It just my opinion. I hope I’m wrong, right now I give it to the Spurs for the 8 spot.


We have the same locks. Mavericks didnt really improve. Yes they will get KP back but other than that who else? I dont see them being as good as us.

Spurs went on a 9 game win streak towards the end. Around the same time we had that crazy schedule and lost a bunch.

At the break we were like 1 or 2 games apart. Then we fell off. That wont happen this year.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 778
And1: 152
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
 

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#45 » by enderwilson » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:01 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Kings2016 wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:This is a win for us...

Lakers
Houston
Denver
Okc
Utah
GS
Portland

Were all locks

It was us fighting with LAC and spurs for playoffs. Now okc moves way down, clippers move up.

So its us vs San antonio for 8th seed barring injuries. I like our chances!


I don’t know about that for sure.

Lakers
Clippers
Nuggets
Warriors
Jazz
Trailblazers
Rockets
Are locks in my opinion
Spurs didn’t really do anything in free agency but finished 9 games ahead of the Kings last season. That’s a lot of games that the Kings need to improve.

OKC got way worse
Mavericks - May have improved more than us.
Pelicans to young.
Suns suck
Grizzlies aren’t good.

That being said I don’t believe the Kings really improved enough to improve 9 games in the standings. I think 47-48 wins will be needed again.I just don’t see it with the off season moves. It just my opinion. I hope I’m wrong, right now I give it to the Spurs for the 8 spot.


We have the same locks. Mavericks didnt really improve. Yes they will get KP back but other than that who else? I dont see them being as good as us.

Spurs went on a 9 game win streak towards the end. Around the same time we had that crazy schedule and lost a bunch.

At the break we were like 1 or 2 games apart. Then we fell off. That wont happen this year.


We did great last year, but arguably there were a few things that we did as a team that prevented us from truly competing for that 8th seed.
•We couldn't hang onto leads/close out games very well.
•Jorger's strategy/rotations started to regress later in the season.
•Our younger players were still young. Our weak players were still weak. Our new acquisitions were still new to the team.

There're a lot of changes to the roster and the coaching staff that're going to resolve these issues. Once resolved, and seeing the playoff teams that either didn't improve or regressed, it's hard for me to imagine SA, GS, HOU not looking over their shoulders at us, while DAL and OKC are trying to keep up.

Honestly I only see the teams us NOT competing with are LAC, LAL, UTA, DEN, and likely POR. However, the jury is out how either LA teams are going to look. Last year LAL was supposed to be a monster, but they had no bite and a lot of dysfunction. I imagine the dysfunction to go away, but the with injury histories to their star players, it might be rare that AD and LBJ see the floor together for significant parts of the season. Now that Cousins is there, what's that locker room going to look like? How many egos can one roster have and stay stable? This is going to be a FASCINATING season!
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,698
And1: 3,568
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#46 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:00 pm

enderwilson wrote:We did great last year, but arguably there were a few things that we did as a team that prevented us from truly competing for that 8th seed.
•We couldn't hang onto leads/close out games very well.
•Jorger's strategy/rotations started to regress later in the season.
•Our younger players were still young. Our weak players were still weak. Our new acquisitions were still new to the team.

I would add...

Our FC rotation didn't rebound well enough - we were 26th in the L. And until we grabbed Barnes, our SF rotation wasn't pulling its share of defensive rebounds either. Dedmon/Holmes/Barnes/Ariza address this need.

Our rim protection and defense at the 3 point line was weak leading to a defensive field goal percentage at 22nd in the L. That will get better with Dedmon/Holmes/2nd year Bagley & Barnes/Ariza and Bogdan not playing out of position.

I think we all believe Fox/Bagley will take that next jump.

We are deeper so we probably won't see the fade that we did last year.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 778
And1: 152
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
 

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#47 » by enderwilson » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:04 pm

I'd like to point out that the current makeup of our team is not designed to seriously contend now, but when our key players are entering their prime in another 2-3 years.

By that time HOU will have to switch to rebuilding mode while GSW and POR superstars will be on the decline. The same with LAL and LAC but they no longer have assets to build through draft or trades. The only teams I would be concerned about are OKC and NOP who are so stacked with assets at the moment, their rebuild may be fast and furious. SA will be a concern as long Pop is around, but to be honest, I don't want to see him retire.
simonbampfield
Analyst
Posts: 3,632
And1: 845
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
Location: In my office
Contact:
     

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#48 » by simonbampfield » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:31 am

I'm thinking the locks for the POs are in no order:
Clippers
Lakers
Portland
Denver
Utah
Rockets

This next group is just an injury away from not making it:
Warriors
Spurs
Kings
Mavs
T'Wolves
The 2 teams from this list that stays healthiest during the season will make it.

For the Kings to make the POs this season this is my top 3 things that must happen:
* Fox to quit being passive during stretches and become the dominant leader he has inside him.
* As mentioned previously, the Kings need to stay healthy. Whether that be via resting players strategically when they are sore then so be it. The depth is there and there are players in the squad that can step in.
* Walton to have clear and defined roles for the roster. If they try and let everyone play 20-26mpg each this squad will be an average team.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
donkeylips
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,664
And1: 582
Joined: Apr 22, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#49 » by donkeylips » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:10 am

Warriors are as much as lock to make it as the other teams listed above. Yes they are an injury away from missing but you can say the same for the lakers, blazers and the nuggets. I think the last spot will be between the kings and the spurs and I truly believe the kings will make it. Divac has addressed every need in the off-season: a center that fits bagley, backup point guard, starting and backup sf. The lack of depth and experience showed towards the end of last season.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
Posts: 778
And1: 152
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
 

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#50 » by enderwilson » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:22 pm

donkeylips wrote:Warriors are as much as lock to make it as the other teams listed above. Yes they are an injury away from missing but you can say the same for the lakers, blazers and the nuggets. I think the last spot will be between the kings and the spurs and I truly believe the kings will make it. Divac has addressed every need in the off-season: a center that fits bagley, backup point guard, starting and backup sf. The lack of depth and experience showed towards the end of last season.


Which I why next season will be so intriguing. There are a lot of playoff teams that have to keep ALL of their key players healthy in order to prevent teams like ours from pushing them around in the standings. Personally, given our team's depth and youth, I think we're in a better position to resist the injury bug that may strike any team at any time.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,698
And1: 3,568
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#51 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:38 pm

enderwilson wrote:
donkeylips wrote:Warriors are as much as lock to make it as the other teams listed above. Yes they are an injury away from missing but you can say the same for the lakers, blazers and the nuggets. I think the last spot will be between the kings and the spurs and I truly believe the kings will make it. Divac has addressed every need in the off-season: a center that fits bagley, backup point guard, starting and backup sf. The lack of depth and experience showed towards the end of last season.

Which I why next season will be so intriguing. There are a lot of playoff teams that have to keep ALL of their key players healthy in order to prevent teams like ours from pushing them around in the standings. Personally, given our team's depth and youth, I think we're in a better position to resist the injury bug that may strike any team at any time.

Agreed and which is why they actually play the season :D - I don't think we should assume at least one of the teams above us won't fall to the injury bug.
User avatar
benchmobbin02
Veteran
Posts: 2,962
And1: 362
Joined: May 28, 2015
     

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#52 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:30 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
enderwilson wrote:
donkeylips wrote:Warriors are as much as lock to make it as the other teams listed above. Yes they are an injury away from missing but you can say the same for the lakers, blazers and the nuggets. I think the last spot will be between the kings and the spurs and I truly believe the kings will make it. Divac has addressed every need in the off-season: a center that fits bagley, backup point guard, starting and backup sf. The lack of depth and experience showed towards the end of last season.

Which I why next season will be so intriguing. There are a lot of playoff teams that have to keep ALL of their key players healthy in order to prevent teams like ours from pushing them around in the standings. Personally, given our team's depth and youth, I think we're in a better position to resist the injury bug that may strike any team at any time.

Agreed and which is why they actually play the season :D - I don't think we should assume at least one of the teams above us won't fall to the injury bug.


Image
"We are going to be in a better position in two years. I wanna hear from these same people in two years." - VLADFATHER FEB. 25TH 2017
TacoBell
Sophomore
Posts: 174
And1: 86
Joined: Nov 06, 2014
 

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#53 » by TacoBell » Tue Jul 9, 2019 3:51 pm

The kings have a lot of depth to where they still might be able to make the playoffs if one of the their main guys gets injured. That's the one thing this team has more than other teams. You have 4 guys in the starting lineup that can put up 20 a game when they need to, and off the bench you have Beli, Bog, Giles, Holmes, Ariza: All players that can give you meaningfull minutes. Though I don't know how they'll be able to replace fox's playmking they still have a lot of outside shooters and some guys that can score in the half court.
BoogieTime
Starter
Posts: 2,465
And1: 883
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
 

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#54 » by BoogieTime » Tue Jul 9, 2019 7:33 pm

I feel more encouraged going into this season than I have in a bit. I mean, I still am not on board with dropping Joerger, but the roster is finally getting near “hole-less” IMO.

Last year the team started WCS, who I loathed, and Shumpert. The bench was hit and miss.

We added a legit fitting center, and Barnes, though IMO a bit overpaid, is still very steady and IMO the top half of starting SF. CoJo is a plus at backup PG. BOgi, and I like Holmes. If any gripe I’m not sure about Ariza as the 9th, or whether Giles is ready. But they can be, and those are minor questions anyhow. I’m assuming Marvin is ready to go and be a advanced stat plus starting maybe next year too. But Fox/Hield/Barnes/Bagley/Dedmon/CoJo/BOgi/Holmes and hopefully Giles/Ariza is fairly competitive
donkeylips
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,664
And1: 582
Joined: Apr 22, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#55 » by donkeylips » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:37 pm

Ariza had a down year but he was playing for two non competitive teams. It should be different for a team fighting for the playoffs. I always had high hopes for wcs and he always disappointed me. I actually liked shumpert but I definitely prefer Barnes and ariza over him. I’m worried that the kings bench is too good that they get more minutes than they should be getting. I’m very curious how the minute distribution will be.
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
RipPizzaGuy
General Manager
Posts: 8,461
And1: 4,847
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#56 » by RipPizzaGuy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:05 pm

I cant understand the Ariza hate. Hes not the best but he can still hit 3s, rebound well for a 3, pass the ball, and plays decent defense all while being 6'8.

Hes been averaging 34mpg but on Sac I see that number dwindling down to 15-20mpg. He should be able to give it his all for 20 minutes while being a huge upgrade to what we had last year.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,698
And1: 3,568
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#57 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:45 pm

donkeylips wrote:... I’m worried that the kings bench is too good that they get more minutes than they should be getting...

What an absolute lovely problem for a coach to have!
bleeds_purple
Veteran
Posts: 2,825
And1: 1,460
Joined: May 22, 2014

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#58 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 am

dckingsfan wrote:
donkeylips wrote:... I’m worried that the kings bench is too good that they get more minutes than they should be getting...

What an absolute lovely problem for a coach to have!


I will just hope that we do not go too often to a 5 deep on the bench. Make some solid lineups: starting lineup, bench lineups with 2-3 starters in them, and a closing lineup. Either Fox or Bagley should be in virtually 48 minutes a game.

The OKC blow up is pretty good for us. OKC is definitely going to be out of the playoffs and looks like full rebuild. I'm sure they would have traded Adams already but market is soft. Interesting to see what the do with Paul. Also Houston just became more volatile so % chance of them missing the playoffs probably went up (even if their ceiling also went up) way too early to tell.
dckingsfan
RealGM
Posts: 15,698
And1: 3,568
Joined: May 28, 2010

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#59 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
donkeylips wrote:... I’m worried that the kings bench is too good that they get more minutes than they should be getting...

What an absolute lovely problem for a coach to have!


I will just hope that we do not go too often to a 5 deep on the bench. Make some solid lineups: starting lineup, bench lineups with 2-3 starters in them, and a closing lineup. Either Fox or Bagley should be in virtually 48 minutes a game.

The OKC blow up is pretty good for us. OKC is definitely going to be out of the playoffs and looks like full rebuild. I'm sure they would have traded Adams already but market is soft. Interesting to see what the do with Paul. Also Houston just became more volatile so % chance of them missing the playoffs probably went up (even if their ceiling also went up) way too early to tell.

Yep, the OKC "thing" is terrific. And it will be fascinating to see if they can trade Paul?

So, Bagley will be getting better. But we shouldn't fool ourselves. He isn't "that" yet. He will be - but there are going to be games where he gets in foul trouble or just plays "stupid". It's only his second season in the L and the coach will need to still correct behavior. Having said that - Bagley played mid 20s last year - like you I hope it goes to mid-30s.

Fox played ~ 31.5mpg last year. Like you, I hope it goes up a bit this year.

But you should assume a five deep bench. There is so much talent there. You will definitely see either Joseph or Ferrell behind Fox. You want Bogdan to get some minutes, right? And Ariza will definitely get limited minutes behind Barnes. My guess is you will see Giles play some minutes behind Bagley. And you will see Holmes get minutes behind Dedmon.

I don't think we should look at this as a bad thing. It will keep Fox/Bagley/Hield from wearing down at the end of the season to push for the playoffs.

My 1/2 cent.
bleeds_purple
Veteran
Posts: 2,825
And1: 1,460
Joined: May 22, 2014

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#60 » by bleeds_purple » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm not saying don't play 10 guys I'm just saying don't play 5 bench players at once. I always hate when teams do that. Stagger the minutes and keep one of our top guys on the floor. Bagley carried our bench units so many times last year. Someone will need to do that this year.

Return to Sacramento Kings