CP3 -- What Happens to Him?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What uniform does CP3 end up wearing at the start of the season?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:11 pm

OKC Thunder
19%
LA Lakers
14%
LA Clippers
1%
Detroit Pistons
6%
Orlando Magic
3%
Miami
47%
Other
10%

Total votes: 187

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Re: CP3 -- What Happens to Him? 

Post#21 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:52 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:He should turn that player option into a team option if he wants to land somewhere he wants. But thtas pretty unlikely

I don't think you can re-negotiate a contract like that. But even if he could, he's not giving away a sure $43M as no team would pick that up if it was their option.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#22 » by 2Mas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:59 pm

tsirigoj wrote:
teke184 wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that a team can sign him for whatever they and CP3 agree upon (even $2.5M).

If you mean OKC is going to eat his contract? Perhaps. They did just get rid of the behemoth contracts of PG13 and Westbrook, so I assume they can waive and stretch CP3 (can they actually?) so they pay smaller incremental payments over a longer period of time. More particularly, they can pay his $124M left on his contract over a 7-year period (double the time plus one), at a rate of about $17.73M/year.

No team is going to eat almost $18m in dead cap space for 7 years just to make a guy go away.

Try again.

So it's preferable to pay ~$40M every year for the next 3? That seems a lot less likely.

Another option would be to just trade CP3, but whoever the recipient team is would want some draft picks or studs in exchange for paying CP3.

Lmao. Bro. You think 18m for 7 years is better than 40 for 3?

You should be in the Knicks FO.
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 635

Post#23 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm

2Mas wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:
teke184 wrote:
No team is going to eat almost $18m in dead cap space for 7 years just to make a guy go away.

Try again.

So it's preferable to pay ~$40M every year for the next 3? That seems a lot less likely.

Another option would be to just trade CP3, but whoever the recipient team is would want some draft picks or studs in exchange for paying CP3.

I think it depends who you ask.

Also, won't help if CP3 is miserable being in OKC.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#24 » by 2Mas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:03 pm

tsirigoj wrote:
2Mas wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:

No it don't lol. No team is giving up 15% of their cap till 2027 to cut chris paul? lol

Makes 0 sense man.
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#25 » by teke184 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:05 pm

tsirigoj wrote:
teke184 wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:
So it's preferable to pay ~$40 every year for the next 3? That seems a lot less likely.

Depending on the team, there could be a need there and they would be sending back short term crap contracts.

Ex - Detroit has Reggie Jackson and Tony Snell making $30m between them. Charlotte has a wide ranging collection of overpaid crap like Nicholas Batum, Biyombo, Marvin Williams, Cody Zeller, etc.

And given the Thunder’s current trajectory, tanking for 3 years is more appealing than crippling their ability to rebuild in years 4-7.

Good point.

I wonder if there is any precedent with this new CBA of a player REALLY wanting to play for a contender, so asking his current team to waive him agreeing to pay back part of his contract (for example: CP3 signing a subcontract that says if OKC waives him, they will only be on the hook for 50% of what he is due)?

That would be a negotiated buyout, which is currently in the rules, but the NBAPA looks down on giving too much back to the team. And Paul is the NBAPA president at the moment.
tsirigoj
Rookie

Post#26 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 pm

2Mas wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:
2Mas wrote:Lmao. Bro. You think 18m for 7 years is better than 40 for 3?

No it don't lol. No team is giving up 15% of their cap till 2027 to cut chris paul? lol

Makes 0 sense man.

So you think a very unhappy and vocal CP3 in OKC that can cause a lot of damage to your team and development of your young guys over the next 3 years is better?

Obviously the best option would be trading him to some sucker team, but they'll have to sweeten the pot with a first round pick or two.

This was a pretty sad trade for OKC, honestly. How they didn't demand Capela is beyond me.
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#27 » by teke184 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

tsirigoj wrote:
2Mas wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:

Makes 0 sense man.

So you think a very unhappy and vocal CP3 in OKC that can cause a lot of damage to your team and development of your young guys over the next 3 years is better?

Obviously the best option would be trading him to some sucker team, but they'll have to sweeten the pot with a first round pick or two.

This was a pretty sad trade for OKC, honestly. How they didn't demand Capela is beyond me.

There were only so many ways to make the salaries work on a trade.

Besides that, they already have Steven Adams for the moment on a shorter contract than Capela.
tsirigoj
Rookie

Post#28 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:13 pm

teke184 wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:
2Mas wrote:No it don't lol. No team is giving up 15% of their cap till 2027 to cut chris paul? lol

Makes 0 sense man.

There were only so many ways to make the salaries work on a trade.

Besides that, they already have Steven Adams for the moment on a shorter contract than Capela.

HAHA I was just gonna say "the thing is, Capela is much younger than Steven Adams," but looked up his age, and wow. Steven Adams is only 25 years old? I always thought he was, like, 30-32. I guess it makes sense when you think about how long he has been in the league. Still, pretty crazy.
tsirigoj
Rookie

Post#29 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:15 pm

teke184 wrote:
tsirigoj wrote:
teke184 wrote:
Depending on the team, there could be a need there and they would be sending back short term crap contracts.

Ex - Detroit has Reggie Jackson and Tony Snell making $30m between them. Charlotte has a wide ranging collection of overpaid crap like Nicholas Batum, Biyombo, Marvin Williams, Cody Zeller, etc.

And given the Thunder’s current trajectory, tanking for 3 years is more appealing than crippling their ability to rebuild in years 4-7.

Good point.

I wonder if there is any precedent with this new CBA of a player REALLY wanting to play for a contender, so asking his current team to waive him agreeing to pay back part of his contract (for example: CP3 signing a subcontract that says if OKC waives him, they will only be on the hook for 50% of what he is due)?

That would be a negotiated buyout, which is currently in the rules, but the NBAPA looks down on giving too much back to the team. And Paul is the NBAPA president at the moment.

Yeah, I just read that. Apparently, a contract can only be renegotiated if it's the third contract with a team AND you can only renegotiate a contract to pay a player who is making less than the max MORE money. AND only teams under the cap can do this (obviously). So YES to negotiating UP, NO to negotiating DOWN.
Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Post#30 » by Biscayne Beast » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:16 pm

As a Heat fan, I'm speaking for 99% of us when I say that none of us want Chris Paul under any circumstance except if we get Gallo and both our 2021 & 2023 1st back. Anything less than that and you can keep him on your roster or see if you can swindle Washington or Minnesota for Wiggins or Wall.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#31 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:21 pm

The only options that seems realistic is Miami. Something like Dragic + Johnson + SRP for Paul.

This is going to get interesting. Paul wont be happy on a bad OKC team, and OKC wont waive/stretch him because they would be insane to do so. So he is going to have to be moved. Where? IDK outside the above idea. Gonan be fun to watch.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#32 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Biscayne Beast wrote:As a Heat fan, I'm speaking for 99% of us when I say that none of us want Chris Paul under any circumstance except if we get Gallo and both our 2021 & 2023 1st back. Anything less than that and you can keep him on your roster or see if you can swindle Washington or Minnesota for Wiggins or Wall.

LMAO. OKC isn't going to do that. My guess is there is interest from Miami. They could package Paul with Gallo or Adams and Miami could give up a couple of first rounders along with whoever they want to dump.

If you have Butler, you might as well try to go all in with Paul and another solid vet.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#33 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Whatever happens I do hope that Paul remains a professional. His role as nbapa president makes it imperative he respects the rules in place. If he can't be moved, he needs to suck it up and play.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,893

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:Whatever happens I do hope that Paul remains a professional. His role as nbapa president makes it imperative he respects the rules in place. If he can't be moved, he needs to suck it up and play.
Very true but behind the scenes I doubt it happens. One headline today suggest that OKC may want to keep Chris and I seriously doubt that happens. I don't think Chris will be pleased with that or agree to it even if he's bounded by a contract.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
tsirigoj
Rookie

Post#35 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:
Biscayne Beast wrote:As a Heat fan, I'm speaking for 99% of us when I say that none of us want Chris Paul under any circumstance except if we get Gallo and both our 2021 & 2023 1st back. Anything less than that and you can keep him on your roster or see if you can swindle Washington or Minnesota for Wiggins or Wall.

LMAO. OKC isn't going to do that. My guess is there is interest from Miami. They could package Paul with Gallo or Adams and Miami could give up a couple of first rounders along with whoever they want to dump.

If you have Butler, you might as well try to go all in with Paul and another solid vet.

Interesting. I would think that the Thunder would be the ones sending out the picks as a 'thank you' for getting that awful contract off their hands.

However, if they send over Steven Adams as well for Miami to "salary dump," it could be a good trade. Still, Adams+Westbrook+PG13 didn't work, I doubt Adams+CP3+Butler would. Maybe being in the East will help, but they will eventually lose to either the Sixers, Celtics, or maybe even Raptors.
Biscayne Beast
Senior
And1: 594

Post#36 » by Biscayne Beast » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:

Why the hell would we give up 1st for Chris Paul ... are you out of your mind
akula1488
Bench Warmer
And1: 448

Post#37 » by akula1488 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:34 pm

Better to have Paul on the roster for 2 years to meet the minimum team salary requirement, and try to do a buy out for the last year if he does not opt out. If he is not a malcontent he can be a good tutor for SGA.

I can see Paul joins the Lakers two years from now as a backup PG.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,382

Post#38 » by RunOKC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:38 pm

It ain't happening OP
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#39 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:43 pm

MIAMI is almost a lock. They are trying to win now with the Butler move and were hot and heavy for Russ for good reason.

CP3 while not as good a Westbrook is still an upgrade to what they got.
rotty
Head Coach
And1: 35,090

Post#40 » by rotty » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:44 pm

If im a front office that has aspirations of winning i would not sign a career playoff choker who is also a locker room **** stain and who is injury prone... And i didn't even get to his age and contract yet... Good lord

Okc is probably stuck with him unless there is an incompetent oblivious franchise willing to take him on anyway. So basically the knicks

Return to The General Board