Coach K: Zion never should’ve played Summer League

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Re: Coach K: Zion never should’ve played Summer League 

Post#21 » by Effigy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Just hold him out of the NBA. Want him healthy for his hall of fame speech in 25 years.
CKB
Senior
And1: 1,149

Post#22 » by CKB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Zion on that Michael Sweetney diet.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Relaxing should be over for Zion and he needs to work as hard as possible to be NBA ready. A lot will take time for him to adjust to the fast pace and amount of games. No excuses at this point as the #1 pick.

Also, if we have to hear fr Coach K throughout the season, I believe it will become annoying for many of us.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,808

Post#24 » by TheGOATWill » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm

I don't know what he's been doing since the elite 8 but meals were definitely served. He needs to call up former Cleveland Browns tackle Joe Thomas and find out what the deal is.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,079

Post#25 » by The-Power » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Summer League should be pushed back to like mid-August. Let the young men all get signed and practice for a couple weeks. These guys stop playing in March. So many players selected in the first round don't even step foot on the court in Vegas now. They're either out of shape, dinged up, or completely unfamiliar with the system teams want to run.

Summer League is also a way for teams to find players to fill out their rosters and see to which extent some of the signed players may be able to contribute. This is in large part a showcase for players that play for a contract in the NBA. That has to happen relatively early in Free Agency.

Also not sure what exactly would change in mid-August. Many of them have had time off since March. Those who are not in shape or injured may very well be not in shape or injured in August. Maybe start a couple days later so the picks have their contracts signed and players that were traded can participate. Other than that, the date is fine imo.
SirCharles3434
Junior
And1: 340

Post#26 » by SirCharles3434 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Seriously, one of my favorite players is Charles Barkley and I just keep thinking what if he stayed in shape like he did when he was with the 76ers his whole career.

This is not a good start for Zion. Hopefully they will get him on a diet before the season starts. A lot of money is invested in him.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#27 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:06 pm

anybody who says zions weight gain isnt a red flag is either a duke homer or delusional.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#28 » by Oscirus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:07 pm

On the real though, summer league is way too close to the draft. Need a bit more separation. As for Zion, Summer league should be a wake up call.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:07 pm

The-Power wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Summer League should be pushed back to like mid-August. Let the young men all get signed and practice for a couple weeks. These guys stop playing in March. So many players selected in the first round don't even step foot on the court in Vegas now. They're either out of shape, dinged up, or completely unfamiliar with the system teams want to run.

Summer League is also a way for teams to find players to fill out their rosters and see to which extent some of the signed players may be able to contribute. That has to happen relatively early in Free Agency.

If that's the point, it's really stupid as 95% of the FAs are already signed before the first game is played.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#30 » by Green89 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:12 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Is he that fragile?

Dude's probably around 300 pounds at 6'7 and he is 6'7. That's an injury waiting to happen, he needs to tone it down to 250-260... The weight could be detrimental to his NBA career(and that fugly, slow shot)...

And low shot, not just slow. He had all his outside shot attempts blocked except for an airball. All he can do right now is dunk.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#31 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 pm

-G- wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:Summer League is basically like a pickup game for Zion. That's how most NBA players stay in shape in the offseason. The vast majority of SL players are just trying to make it to the NBA. I have no issue with him playing if it helps him get in shape. He does look like he put on a few pounds though.

Ya, totally. Because by looking at Zion you can definitely tell if he put on a few pounds. :roll:
He absolutely looked like he gained weight since March. He looked out of shape.
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#32 » by JeepCSC » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:anybody who says zions weight gain isnt a red flag is either a duke homer or delusional.

But you repeat yourself.
cocktailswith_2short
Head Coach
And1: 78

Post#33 » by cocktailswith_2short » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Bulls getting shafted have been a stroke of good luck. Knows the spotlight is on him. Knows hes the 1st overall . He had weight concerns during his year at Duke. People have always whispered about his weight. And he shows up to summer league looking like a balloon then proceeds to get injured immediately. This guy is going to be a bust when the dust settles. Yeah he may have some moments and good stat lines along the way but I don't see a long all star career out of this guy.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#34 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 pm

CKB wrote:Zion on that Michael Sweetney diet.

Mike is Celtics Summer League legend. :lol:
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#35 » by binjumper » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 pm

SirCharles3434 wrote:Sounds like excuses to me but it did look like he wasn’t in game shape to play, even if it was only for 10 minutes.

You could tell that he did picked up some pounds since March.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He should have never played in the NCAA for free especially when he hurt his knee.... **** outta here Coach K.
teke184
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,391

Post#36 » by teke184 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Oscirus wrote:On the real though, summer league is way too close to the draft. Need a bit more separation. As for Zion, Summer league should be a wake up call.

Agreed.

Due to the massive number of trades of draft picks going on these days, a lot of guys aren't even getting the opportunity to play in Summer League.

Trades executed starting on 7/6, but games were going on before that.

The Pels' three non-Zion picks missed 2 games because they were waiting on the trade to execute.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#37 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Zion can be great, but it won't last if he can't keep his weight down. The Pelicans need to hire him a personal chef/nutritionist and his own trainer asap.

Keep him as far away as possible from all the fried chicken and cajun food restaurants in New Orleans. Zion should only eat the food that his personal nutritionist and chef recommends and prepares for him.

Eddy Curry should be a precautionary example to Zion. He had incredible skill and feel for the game, but his inability to stay in shape destroyed his career.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,324

Post#38 » by Bolivar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:31 pm

INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#39 » by INKtastic » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 pm

http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#40 » by Jon1798 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:32 pm

Things stated the second Zion was drafted.....

He’s so over hyped

He’s going to leave NO

He’s over weight

Am I missing any? Lol. It was widely reported the Pels were only going to play Zion about 20 minutes in summer league. These players are reckless and dangerous, of course you aren’t going to keep him out there. Same reason so many others didn’t play a minute. The second some no name threw his body into Zion’s leg, the Pels started setting up the process of taking him out. I have no idea what the number on the scale says as of today, and neither do any of you. But man I wish I could be that “over weight”.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj

Return to The General Board