Coach K: Zion never should’ve played Summer League

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,166

Re: Coach K: Zion never should’ve played Summer League 

Post#41 » by Pelon chingon » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm

He did look like he put on a few tbh i wonder if he was banged up and couldn't workout prior to SL these things happen.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#42 » by NatiboyB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:34 pm

ok so I know this isn't being implied but how horrible would it be summer league wise if teams just sat out all of their 1st rd picks.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#43 » by kg01 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Jon1798 wrote:Image

Things stated the second Zion was drafted.....

He’s so over hyped

He’s going to leave NO

He’s over weight

Am I missing any? Lol. It was widely reported the Pels were only going to play Zion about 20 minutes in summer league. These players are reckless and dangerous, of course you aren’t going to keep him out there. Same reason so many others didn’t play a minute. The second some no name threw his body into Zion’s leg, the Pels started setting up the process of taking him out. I have no idea what the number on the scale says as of today, and neither do any of you. But man I wish I could be that “over weight”.

Ohh snap, Knicks fans 'bout to come for your head.

Pretty sure the 'no name' was the mythical(sic) Mitchell Robinson.

Lastly, don't pretend the weight/out of shape thing isn't a concern. David Griffin himself (NBARadio interview) said a main reason for shutting him down was that they wanted to get him into shape. It sounded like a bit of a slip-up on his part but it is indeed what he said.

It is what it is. Doesn't mean he's a bust but it's a legit concern he'll have to address.
king01 :king:
dickfox
Senior
And1: 521

Post#44 » by dickfox » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Zion can do whatever he wants, Coach K. You're not his real dad.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#45 » by NatiboyB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:42 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Is he that fragile?

Dude's probably around 300 pounds at 6'7 and he is 6'7. That's an injury waiting to happen, he needs to tone it down to 250-260... The weight could be detrimental to his NBA career(and that fugly, slow shot)...

I don't like when people use a random scale weight. I think using bodyfat is better overall. He clearly is carrying too much excess. However you can look at his arms and tell that he isn't grossly out of shape due to the vascularity. I am under the assumption once he get's more conditioning and gets his chef and meals planned he will move in the right direction...However my primary issue is what is the purpose of summer league if the draft picks shouldn't be playing.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#46 » by -G- » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Neutral 123 wrote:
-G- wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:Summer League is basically like a pickup game for Zion. That's how most NBA players stay in shape in the offseason. The vast majority of SL players are just trying to make it to the NBA. I have no issue with him playing if it helps him get in shape. He does look like he put on a few pounds though.

Ya, totally. Because by looking at Zion you can definitely tell if he put on a few pounds. :roll:
He absolutely looked like he gained weight since March. He looked out of shape.

I think this narrative is silly. But ok.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#47 » by enigmatics » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm

-G- wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:Summer League is basically like a pickup game for Zion. That's how most NBA players stay in shape in the offseason. The vast majority of SL players are just trying to make it to the NBA. I have no issue with him playing if it helps him get in shape. He does look like he put on a few pounds though.

Ya, totally. Because by looking at Zion you can definitely tell if he put on a few pounds. :roll:

Seeing him laid back in that chair during an SL game the other night reminded me of James "The Grim Reaper" Roper from Great White Hype. :lol:

LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#48 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Teams have a lot of money invested in top picks. I don't blame them for not seeing the point in playing those guys in the summer league. Top picks have been injured in these games. And for what? To see them dominate against inferior competition in a game that does not matter?
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#49 » by daswunderboy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Forgive me if the joke was made, but Zion never should have played in college. **** the NCAA and **** Coach K and his spray on hair.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#50 » by DTP » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:49 pm

JeepCSC wrote:He’ll be the first NBA Star to be on load management from his rookie year on. Won’t be the last.

Soon players aren't even going to play anymore at all, it'll all just be simulated 2k games.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#51 » by Foye » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Zion should Reserve copyright to „Lets Bust“
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#52 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 pm

-G- wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:
-G- wrote:
He absolutely looked like he gained weight since March. He looked out of shape.

I think this narrative is silly. But ok.

I turned on the TV, saw him, and the first thing I thought was whoa Zion has put on some weight.

His conditioning got mentioned during the game, people are posting about it hear, but for me, there was no narrative. I saw that on my own.

It may not be blatantly obvious but I'm surprised that if someone saw him play at Duke and then saw him (close ups) during that summer league game, they wouldn't see the extra weight. It was pretty obvious to me.

It's not the end of the world but something he needs to get on top of considering his weight and the impact of that long term has been a question since high school.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#53 » by Jon1798 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:54 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:Image

Things stated the second Zion was drafted.....

He’s so over hyped

He’s going to leave NO

He’s over weight

Am I missing any? Lol. It was widely reported the Pels were only going to play Zion about 20 minutes in summer league. These players are reckless and dangerous, of course you aren’t going to keep him out there. Same reason so many others didn’t play a minute. The second some no name threw his body into Zion’s leg, the Pels started setting up the process of taking him out. I have no idea what the number on the scale says as of today, and neither do any of you. But man I wish I could be that “over weight”.

Ohh snap, Knicks fans 'bout to come for your head.

Pretty sure the 'no name' was the mythical(sic) Mitchell Robinson.

Lastly, don't pretend the weight/out of shape thing isn't a concern. David Griffin himself (NBARadio interview) said a main reason for shutting him down was that they wanted to get him into shape. It sounded like a bit of a slip-up on his part but it is indeed what he said.

It is what it is. Doesn't mean he's a bust but it's a legit concern he'll have to address.

We are spending $8 million dollars to improve our already brand new training facility, and stole Aaron Nelson from the Suns training staff among others to get the freak above ready to play basketball. No, it’s not a concern.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#54 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 pm

enigmatics wrote:
-G- wrote:

Seeing him laid back in that chair during an SL game the other night reminded me of James "The Grim Reaper" Roper from Great White Hype. :lol:

I noticed extra fat in his face, like he was starting to get a double chin. I was genuinely surprised when they showed him during warm ups.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#55 » by Side beard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Inb4 dude plays 75+ games on 35 minutes per game.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#56 » by kg01 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Jon1798 wrote:We are spending $8 million dollars to improve our already brand new training facility, and stole Aaron Nelson from the Suns training staff among others to get the freak above ready to play basketball. No, it’s not a concern.

So you spent $8millo to improve the training facility and "stole" Aaron Nelson because it's not a concern? :wink:

Mmkay, I'll bow out of this discussion since apparently I'm missing something.
king01 :king:
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#57 » by JellosJigglin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 pm

-G- wrote:

What, you want me to get a scale for him? He definitely put on weight. If you can't tell someone is heavier by looking at them then that's a you problem.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#58 » by enigmatics » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Side beard wrote:Inb4 dude plays 75+ games on 35 minutes per game.

No chance in hell. His first year is going to be a journey in conditioning. Dude has too much mass for that frame to run 82 games at a gazelle's pace.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#59 » by Jon1798 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:03 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:We are spending $8 million dollars to improve our already brand new training facility, and stole Aaron Nelson from the Suns training staff among others to get the freak above ready to play basketball. No, it’s not a concern.

So you spent $8millo to improve the training facility and "stole" Aaron Nelson because it's not a concern? :wink:

Mmkay, I'll bow out of this discussion since apparently I'm missing something.

That didn’t make any sense.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,340

Post#60 » by BodieB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:06 pm

It's a tough spot for the Pelicans to be in. It's understandable wanting to take all the precautions from Zion hurting himself including through the season. At the same time he's got a whole lot to work on with his game and those precautions aren't going to help with that or with him staying in game shape.

Return to The General Board