ImageImageImageImageImage

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1521 » by DarkXaero » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:28 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Kinda mad that JaMychal Green signed the same kind of 2 year deal with the Clippers at the end of free agency, that Garrett Temple did with us. Green would have been a way better fit and far better value for us on that money.
It's impossible to know whether Green would've taken us over LAC, if the money were the same. They look better than us on paper, especially for this upcoming season.

Maybe Green could've been locked up early like Temple was, and therefore never given the opportunity to wait for the Clippers, but a lot of non-stars wait for the stars to move first before signing to a deal in the hopes that: 1) a team who didn't sign other players will overpay them OR 2) they can get a better assessment of which teams are the best contenders, giving them greater odds at winning a title.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I would agree if Green was signed at the the start of free agency. But he wasn't. Maybe he would have held out for a better offer (which ultimately didn't end up being the case) or maybe he would have agreed to come here, after us signing KD & Kyrie. Remember, at that time, Clippers were all about chasing Kawhi, and tied up in that. There are a lot of maybes but what I do know is that we didn't really try much, considering we signed Temple right away.
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#1522 » by Kaiser30 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:32 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Kinda mad that JaMychal Green signed the same kind of 2 year deal with the Clippers at the end of free agency, that Garrett Temple did with us. Green would have been a way better fit and far better value for us on that money.
It's impossible to know whether Green would've taken us over LAC, if the money were the same. They look better than us on paper, especially for this upcoming season.

Maybe Green could've been locked up early like Temple was, and therefore never given the opportunity to wait for the Clippers, but a lot of non-stars wait for the stars to move first before signing to a deal in the hopes that: 1) a team who didn't sign other players will overpay them OR 2) they can get a better assessment of which teams are the best contenders, giving them greater odds at winning a title.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
I would agree if Green was signed at the the start of free agency. But he wasn't. Maybe he would have held out for a better offer (which ultimately didn't end up being the case) or maybe he would have agreed to come here, after us signing KD & Kyrie. Remember, at that time, Clippers were all about chasing Kawhi, and tied up in that. There are a lot of maybes but what I do know is that we didn't really try much, considering we signed Temple right away.

It's also very much possible that LAC was in contact with Green all the time and promised him to at least give him the room MLE on a contending team and if Kawhi wasn't coming, potentially even more money out of their cap space.

Temple is fine, he will be valuable throughout the season.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1523 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:06 pm

i still dont see the love affair with Green. he is a nice bench pierce but is he really any different impact wise then temple? id say no.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#1524 » by DarkXaero » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:12 pm

JaMychal Green is statistically much better than Temple, and it's not close.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1525 » by treiz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:26 am

Who do you guys want for the final spot? Personally I wouldn't mind VC (for nostalgia's sake) and Korver.

Also wouldn't mind somebody like Holiday/Nwaba/Chriss/Diallo for the min as a low-risk gamble kind of guys.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#1526 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:14 pm

I'd take:
1. JaMychal Green (best fit for winning, how is he unsigned??)
2. VC (nuff said)
3. Korver (copy machine trade comes full circle)
4. Diallo/Bender (extra size with upside)
ACM_Wunder Dirk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1527 » by ACM_Wunder Dirk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:I'd take:
2. VC (nuff said)

Green resigned with LAC.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,232

Post#1528 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:38 pm

I'll take the low risk upside guy, preferably a big that can shoot like Bender or Chriss.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#1529 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:16 pm

ACM_Wunder Dirk wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:I'd take:
2. VC (nuff said)

Green resigned with LAC.

Ahh, makes sense. I must have missed that signing.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#1530 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I'd like to sign either Vince Carter or Jamal Crawford for a swansong season and end of the bench/locker room vet presence. Both guys could still ball too and they'd be super big fan favorites. They'd allow Pinson and/or Musa to get some more GL time through the season.

For a big man, either Chriss as a reclamation project, or maybe Ryan Anderson. I know he's atrocious on defense but if he can shoot the ball well in short spurts, he'd be an alright vet min signing.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#1531 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I'd like to sign either Vince Carter or Jamal Crawford for a swansong season and end of the bench/locker room vet presence. Both guys could still ball too and they'd be super big fan favorites. They'd allow Pinson and/or Musa to get some more GL time through the season.

For a big man, either Chriss as a reclamation project, or maybe Ryan Anderson. I know he's atrocious on defense but if he can shoot the ball well in short spurts, he'd be an alright vet min signing.

VC is a possibility, I would not like to see Jamal on this team. The pecking order of playmaking duties is already Irving/LeVert/Dinwiddie/Temple/Pinson. I can see all of those guys sharing the rock in sacrifice for a greater goal, but all it would take is one hot dog "going for his" to upset the chemistry.

I don't mean to overstate the importance of the 15th roster slot, but with this team, there's a lot more than can subtract from it than add to it, depending on who they add. Our FO prefers to leave the 15th spot open anyway, and I see them auditioning several young journeymen. Those guys are hungry for a shot, and won't come in expecting to dominate the ball when they're lucky enough to get PT.

Also, Ryno is a member of the Heat, unless/until they buy out his contract. If he were available, meh, I'd consider him as a situational fit.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,559

Post#1532 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:17 pm

I have no issue with Vince being brought in. Vince is a fantastic presence for young players.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1533 » by Prokorov » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I have no issue with Vince being brought in. Vince is a fantastic presence for young players.

i dont see it. he didnt stick around another year to sit and mentor. he signed with atl last year and memphis prior because there were minutes for him.. id love to have him but dont see a fit
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,232

Post#1534 » by Papi_swav » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I have no issue with Vince being brought in. Vince is a fantastic presence for young players.

i dont see it. he didnt stick around another year to sit and mentor. he signed with atl last year and memphis prior because there were minutes for him.. id love to have him but dont see a fit

He should just go to Clippers or Lakers, try to get a ring . I rather take a low risk high upside guy, see what magic we can work like we've done with other guys.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#1535 » by kamaze » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:38 pm

The team could use a power forward with the last spot. I don't know who else is available besides Jonas Jerebko Marquese Chriss is a good choice if they can get him.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#1536 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:46 pm

I’m not sure PF is the biggest need. There’s depth there with Kurucs, Prince, Chandler and Claxton. If anything, I could see Marks going for a scorer/ball handler in the Napier role.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#1537 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#1538 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Ellenson seems like a PERFECT Nets fit.

Marks absolutely CRUSHED this free agency.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#1539 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Ellenson seems like a PERFECT Nets fit.

Marks absolutely CRUSHED this free agency.

Yeah, he's playing Chess, while everyone except maybe LeBron is playing checkers.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1540 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Nets have made an offer to Ron Baker for a two way contract.

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets