Fake Parity: Who is beating LAL/LAC/MIL?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Fake Parity: Who is beating LAL/LAC/MIL? 

Post#81 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:41 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:the nba will never have true nfl style parity

You could have parity if you did things like remove max contracts and implement a hard cap. I doubt most fans or teams would want that though. The NFL forces parity because you literally cannot keep all your players every year. Eventually you have to start letting guys go. That coupled with the fact the NFL career lengths (other than QB and K/P) are so short.

oh no i agree and you are right but like you mentioned won't happen in the nba.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#82 » by Antinomy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:42 pm

So many people are “experts” on the Bucks but don’t realize that they won 60 games last year with Thon Maker, John Henson, Tony Snell & Dellavedova as major rotation guys for half the season. Mirotic actually made them worse & was injured half the time on top of it.

Middleton actually played better when Brogdon wasn’t there. And Brogdon was easily our least important starter considering he missed the last month & a half of the season plus the first 2 rounds, yet we still made it to the ECF.

The 50/40/90 thing looks great on paper til you realize he had the lowest 3pt rate on the team for volume shooters besides Giannis. Only 4 3pt attempts per game. Slow release so he only shot the ball when he was WIDE open & couldn’t beat anyone off the dribble unless it was a hard closeout. I know every team is optimistic about their offseason moves but I’d be very wary of Brogdon being a major piece if I was an Indy fan. Bucks will fine without him.

Bucks added some vets & toughness this year which was greatly needed. It felt like we were lacking a guy who could go in there & muck things up.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#83 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:43 pm

The Bucks are the favorites but by no means the prohibitive favorites out East. At least not until Giannis develops a jump shot. If the best shooter on your team is 85 year old Brook Lopez, you're beatable.

Out West, I could see Denver beating the the Lakers but not the Clippers. I could see the Lakers beating the Clippers but losing to Denver. So it's really going to come down to who gets the favorable matchup IMO. I agree that the Jazz probably still don't have enough scoring. I think the Rockets took a step back with the Westbrook trade. We don't know what GS will look like yet. Is Klay back and healthy? Did they trade Russell for real wing help?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#84 » by Da ThRONe » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Parity doesn't mean there won't be favorites. However there's a lot that could go wrong (non injury related) for Lakers, Clippers, and Bucks. Unlike the Warriors the past 3 years.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#85 » by LakerLegend » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Official wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
Official wrote:
Who is going to play more games next year Lebron or Leonard?

Well Kawhi played more in the playoffs this year so..

You did not answer the question.

For 2019-2020:

1) Is Kawhi Leonard going to play more regular season games than Lebron?

2) Hell, is Kawhi Leonard going to play more regular season games than AD?

Your question is irrelevant, the playoffs are what matter not the regular season. Not to mention given LeBrons age and games missed last year it’s no guarantee he plays more than Kawhi.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#86 » by Antinomy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:53 pm

I also don’t understand how Philly is better than Milwaukee because MIL lost “key pieces” yet Philly lost Butler & Redick then replaced them with guys who don’t really fit.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,894

Post#87 » by lakerz12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:01 pm

LakerLegend wrote:
Official wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
Well Kawhi played more in the playoffs this year so..

You did not answer the question.

For 2019-2020:

1) Is Kawhi Leonard going to play more regular season games than Lebron?

2) Hell, is Kawhi Leonard going to play more regular season games than AD?

Your question is irrelevant, the playoffs are what matter not the regular season. Not to mention given LeBrons age and games missed last year it’s no guarantee he plays more than Kawhi.

Playoff seeding does matter. Kawhi won't be able to coast to a 2 seed in the West.

If he sits 22 games they are more like a 4-6 seed and will face a tough first round opponent.
Official
Veteran
And1: 321

Post#88 » by Official » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:05 pm

LakerLegend wrote:Your question is irrelevant, the playoffs are what matter not the regular season. Not to mention given LeBrons age and games missed last year it’s no guarantee he plays more than Kawhi.

Nothing is guaranteed. But the odds are (combined) both Davis and Lebron will play more regular season games than Kawhi and George so they should have a higher seeding. As for playoffs, I'd take my chances with Lebron and AD - people forget about Lebron so easily. In the 2018 playoffs he averaged 34ppg, 9rpg, 7apg with a TS% of 62 and a 32PER with a garbage supporting cast. Kawhi averaged 31ppg, 9rpg, and 4apg with a TS% of 62, and a 28PER with an elite supporting cast (they'll win close to 50 games without him this year). AD will outplay PG all day in the playoffs - so that won't even be close. Statistically I bet AD and Lebron will be the best players in that series.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#89 » by LakerLegend » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Official wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:Your question is irrelevant, the playoffs are what matter not the regular season. Not to mention given LeBrons age and games missed last year it’s no guarantee he plays more than Kawhi.

Nothing is guaranteed. But the odds are (combined) both Davis and Lebron will play more regular season games than Kawhi and George so they should have a higher seeding. As for playoffs, I'd take my chances with Lebron and AD - people forget about Lebron so easily. In the 2018 playoffs he averaged 34ppg, 9rpg, 7apg with a TS% of 62 and a 32PER with a garbage supporting cast. Kawhi averaged 31ppg, 9rpg, and 4apg with a TS% of 62, and a 28PER with an elite supporting cast (they'll win close to 50 games without him this year). AD will outplay PG all day in the playoffs - so that won't even be close. Statistically I bet AD and Lebron will be the best players in that series.

If this is a discussion about which roster is more durable than top to bottom the Lakers have a lot more questions than the Clips.
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 949

Post#90 » by Maze » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 pm

The Bucks? lol....There's like 9-10 teams in the league that could beat them in a playoff series.

7-8 in the West alone
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#91 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:28 pm

Tyler F'n Herro
Read on Twitter
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#92 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:30 pm

I think Philly is better than all of them.

Heck, I think Denver, Houston and Utah are better than both LA teams. If Klay comes back so are the Warriors.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#93 » by Showdown » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm

I agree that LA teams are clear favorites but not the Bucks, they are contenders because they have easier path to the Finals. Also think that media overrate GSW, Rockets and Nuggets, especially journalists from national media that have their podcasts and then a lot of hipsters spread their word on NBA twitter, Reddit and RealGM.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#94 » by LKN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

JimmyTheGreek wrote:MIL shouldn’t be on the list. They’re “fake” championship contenders. Only good during the regular season and they lost Mirotic & Brogdon.

They lost to the Raptors by an average of 1 ppg..... this is just idiocy.

Brogdon was hurt much of the year and Mirotic was bad in the playoffs and didn't make them any better.

Giannis is probably the best player in the league and has improved markedly every year.

People judging the Bucks completely based on one close playoff series where they lost to the champions are being dumb.

There's a good chance they would have beaten every single other team in the playoffs last year (other than maybe the Warriors with KD.. but the Bucks match up better with GS than Toronto did).
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#95 » by LKN » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The Bucks are the favorites but by no means the prohibitive favorites out East. At least not until Giannis develops a jump shot. If the best shooter on your team is 85 year old Brook Lopez, you're beatable.

Out West, I could see Denver beating the the Lakers but not the Clippers. I could see the Lakers beating the Clippers but losing to Denver. So it's really going to come down to who gets the favorable matchup IMO. I agree that the Jazz probably still don't have enough scoring. I think the Rockets took a step back with the Westbrook trade. We don't know what GS will look like yet. Is Klay back and healthy? Did they trade Russell for real wing help?

Giannis does not need to shoot jumpers. This is one of the most common silly things that gets posted around here.

He needs to improve his passing/playmaking, maybe get more of a post game and be consistent shooting FTs. Giannis shooting jumpers is just dumb - he'll never be a good enough shooter to make defenders play up on him (and really - he'd have to shoot the mid range like MJ to make it worth it to not sag off him).
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#96 » by Warriorfan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 pm

All teams are beatable. See 73 win Warriors. We have not seen this version of clippers or Lakers play. Mil is worse than last year and defense was done in playoffs to slow the freak.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Post#97 » by agkagk » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Philly will be better than Milwaukee

Houston Utah pacers and Denver all look like potential “regular season champions”

If golden state is healthy, they’re one small piece away from being as good as anybody else (they just need a big defensive wing).
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,115

Post#98 » by Edrees » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
Lawyershawn wrote:The disrespect towards Golden State.

It’s not disrespect. Without KD they are not better than Utah, Lakers, Clippers and Houston. They don’t have the roster to keep up with those teams. Steph is going to average 30-35 ppg with a bunch of losses. Allen Iverson,Mcgrady,Kobe and even Michael Jordan early in his career put up big scoring nights with a bunch of losses and Curry can’t even be mentioned in the same conversation with those players.
This isn’t the 73 win roster. This is the worse Warriors roster since 2014.
They will battle with the Spurs and Blazers for the 6th 7th and 8th seeds. They not in the same class as the top 4 West teams .

It's disrespect because those teams you mentioned haven't even played a single game with their new cores (except Utah) and you've already crowned them unquestionably better than GS. There's not a shred of a game data to support it and you're 100% sure GS has no shot at all to compete with these teams that are all ? marks who have uncertainty how they end up. It just seems like a wild take.

It's one thing to think GS has taken a step back and isn't the favorite but to go as far as to say they have no chance at all against newly formed teams is disrespectful. GS is still a contender even if they aren't as good as these new teams. Especially if Klay Thompson does come back early, they may not be the 73 win team, but with DLO added to the mix, their overall talent level isn't that much lower than what it was in that season.

If GS's exact roster from the 73 win team were cosntructed today, do you think they'd be contenders? I mean, they added DLO, lost Bogut, Barnes, half a season of Klay, Livingston and Iggy and that's the difference betwen 73 win teams and not even being a contender? I just don't see it.
KootenayRapFan
Sophomore
And1: 296

Post#99 » by KootenayRapFan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Tony Franciosa wrote:If Embiid is 100% and Simmons shows any signs of a jumpshot come playoff time, I love our chances against anyone.

Sixers are for real this year.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#100 » by Neutral 123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:12 pm

What would satisfy as parity?

Return to The General Board